What is a Tannhauser gate, Sup Forums?

What is a Tannhauser gate, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tannhäuser_(opera)
gunbuster.wikia.com/wiki/Tannhauser_Gate_Phenomenon
twitter.com/AnonBabble

gibberish ridley scott made up so people would be fooled into thinking the speech is "deep"

"I have seen lasers nigger"

What did Roy Battyboy mean by this?

Why did he act like he was the only one who saw all those things?

A Refused song.

Fpbp

It's Offworld - I ain't gotta explain shit.

>nail through the palm
>literally holding a dove
Wow...so this is the subtle symbolism of genius filmmaker Ridley Scott...really goes over your head...very complex stuff indeed

The fact that they never tell you is a perfect example of filmmaking laziness

ruger hauer wrote that speech by himself the night before he filmed it and surprised ridley with it

ridley scott has also basically never written anything in his entire fucking life, he's a pictures autist

The dove suddenly appearing out of nowhere to be released by batty at the moment of his death was far fetched, but the film earned it, and it didn't detract fom the beauty of the moment at all, to the contrary

Interesting fact - Rutger ad libbed that soliloquy, and after he said it several crew members were so touched by the pathos of the moment they cried

Yo mommas bumhole

Bird in a cage is a pretty common symbolism for slavery stop being a fag

Technobabble.
Hauer truncated a much larger 200 line speech into what he said on film. The tears in rain bit was his original contribution.

upvoted

EXT. STREET - NIGHT

Deckard saunters through the detritus of civilization as a SAXOPHONE wails. Suddenly he stops. He picks up a newspaper wrapped around his ankle.

Headline: "TANNHAUSER GATE OPENS"

DECKARD
(scratching head)
The "Tannhauser gate"? What in the heck is that?

A light shines on the article body text.

TEXT: "The Tannhauser gate is a star gate in orbit around a distant sun named Omega Riley that is used for the faster-than-light transport of space ships. It is very impressive. Sometimes it emits something called C-beams, a type of visible radiation that looks cool."

Deckard smiles and nods his head.

DECKARD
So that's what the Tannhauser gate is. Good to know.

He drops the newspaper and continues on through a flock of Asian women on bicycles as the SAXOPHONE picks up.

The backdrop of the setting is humanity exploring and colonizing the solar system and possibly the galaxy using advanced technology and replicant labor, while Earth stagnates.

I always assumed the Tannhauser Gate was some sort of jump-gate or artificial wormhole, which was a common theme in sci-fi from that era.

Ever heard of show, don't tell?

>The dove suddenly appearing out of nowhere to be released by batty at the moment of his death was far fetched
There were doves fluttering around scared when he was chasing Deckard. He must have snatched one with Bruce Lee hands.
That's why Deckard misses shooting him too, the guy is a military grade athlete, even on his last 2% of charge he's still superior.

Shh, plebs will find any gap in exposition and set up camp in it forever, gabbling shit.
'Show don't tell' is for when you trust your audience and don't think of them as cretinous customers.

That's how all the niggas call your moms vagina

>while Earth stagnates
Have to be either, rich, qualified or top-tier specimen mentally and physically to go off-world.
This leaves the home planet potato.

Fuck off Jay. Read a book.

>Tannhäuser Gate

Pic related.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tannhäuser_(opera)

>The story centers on the struggle between sacred and profane love, and redemption through love, a theme running through much of Wagner's mature work.

He probably knew what it was, but the reason it sounds impressive is because not many people get a chance to see a collossal men-made structure in person and that is why it sounds so off-world.

The line would've been more impressive if it had been scripted as something that his character had actually experienced.
The fact that it was completely improved makes it complete bullshit and turns it into a dry fart.
>people actually have this gibberish tattooed onto thier fucking skin

It's an off world thing

What are you talking about? Doesn't seeing "c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate" count as something his character had actually experienced?

let's be real here. there isn't a quote with a deeper meaning in shakespeare nor any other writings. So if you are going to get anything tattooed on you it might as well be that.

Wagner's version of the legend kinda sucked desu

I think that's the point. The audience is in Deckards shoes, who has never been off-world. If they showed you "tannhauser gate" or any other off-world place it would we wouldn't be seeing things from Deckards point of view anymore.

Something that you'll never see.

He didn't improve the entire thing. He wrote it and improved the tears part.

Unless Scott goes crazy (again) and makes a prequel set Offworld.

>things you'd never believe
>to see is to believe
>they still want the gate to be shown

Fucking millenial brainlets

please no

It is expalined in one of the deleted scenes in Soldier, the actual sequel to Blade Runner.

he said "ten hours a gate" which is a unit of speed measurement

Is it actually good?

Always thought it's just an action sf flick and never bothered

The fact that you don't really know what any of it means makes you imagine some really fucking wonderous shit.

Like, I don't know what the fuck C-beams are but in my mind they're glittery as fuck and goddamn that's a beautiful experience Batty, life is truly precious.

Use your imagination niggas. Fucking hell.

>Use your imagination

it's a movie. you're not supposed to use your imagination. it's supposed to show you everything.

why even watch a movie at all? why not sit down in the theater and close your eyes and imagine the whole adventure for two hours?

"use your imagination" what a load of shit

That's one heavy bait.

if i wanted to use my imagination i would read a book.

the entire purpose of movies is so that you DONT have to use your imagination. that's literally why they exist.

All it takes for one guy to post one shitty argument then the brainlets think they're right. Good job.

please be bait

then what are movies for as opposed to books

Imagine Universal Soldier but in 20XX : Spase Progam. Not bad but okay.

Why oppose. Can't books and movies be friends user?

unless you're only watching stuff like peppa pig then yes, the dialogue in a movie should and will make you use your imagination

A visual medium. Showing Tannhauser Gate, or anything off-world would remove from the movie, because Deckard has never been off-world. Jesus christ user.

It's not 'a' Tannhauser Gate, it's 'the' Tannhauser Gate. I.e. a location. Considering the context of the speech one presumes it's near Orion.

the movie isn't limited to only what deckard can see

did you want half opacity of the events he was describing to overlay the screen or something? fuck off

Hello brainlet

Something lovecraftian I'd imagine.

He was refering to prolapsed ani, in fact that whole monologue is a really drawn-out metaphor for that

If there is one great ‘speech’, in all of sci-fi kino, it is this one.

If you don’t get it you’re a brainlet who should just stick to action movies.

either that or something that i know what it looks like, not made-up words i have no idea what they are supposed to be.

c-beams? is that those giant metal beams they use in building skyscrapers? or is a c-beam a type of dog? who knows! if you put random gibberish in your movie autists will eat it up and call it deep!

Tannhauser Gates are explained in Gunbuster
Search on youtube
Its the intersection between two black holes

>implying the internet and books dont exist
I bet you I could find hundreds of videos of tanks, jets and boats exploding. Those are all the "attack ships" of our time. C beam is just light in space which is literally nothing

Probably a 'gate' to hyper space that allows you to travel between planets fast, but it doesn't really matter because it's not the point

Blade Runner isn’t for you, Friend.

It is an action sf flick. I watched it loong time ago and I barely remember it. At the time I thought it was cool, but at that time I was a kid and had a hard on for action flicks.

It might be embarassing to watch in the current day, so prepare yourself if you ever decide to watch it.

Stick to Transformers

>Anons who couldn't even experience a normal life implying seeing unimaginable space stuff up close isn't anything of worth

The speed of light through a vacuum (space) is denoted as C. Literally light in space. Attack ships are like our warships, many of which I have seen on fire. What a pathetic movie this is for relying on retarded people using their "imagination" to understand it

>like, I dont know
>use your imagination niggas
Begone cancerous newfag

What he said.

The most precious thing an artis(or a content creator of any kind)can do is to give you something and let your imagination expand on it.

Rutger's speech is a perfect example of that.

gunbuster.wikia.com/wiki/Tannhauser_Gate_Phenomenon

it's what connects instances in eve online

>the absolute state of Sup Forums

No other place has such arrogant, aggresive and yet shallow brainlets.

r/movies is unironically better for the simple fact that people there, while being simple, consumerist plebs, want to just discuss shitty movies, not shitpost for the sake of contrarianism and bizarre sense of superiority, both of which have roots not in love of cinema but from deep, deep bitterness.

t. been on Sup Forums since 2007, brainlet newfags trying to fit in are invited to send me to reddit

I don't think most people understand what an "improvised scene/monologue" is in the context of production. They don't literally start ad-libbing during the middle of the shoot, and director that is half-awake will call cut the moment shit like that happens. It's all done and decided in rehearsal where fucking around is tolerated to a degree.

>Sheeitttt nigga, I saw lasers up in space yo. Pew pew pew bitch.

What did he mean by this?

Why bother typing down so many words when you aren't even going to attempt to make a cogent point?

>Tannhauser
Tannhauser is a mythical german knight who is absorbed/seduced into a pagan realm for a year before returning to chrisendom and seeking absolution for his sins. He is denied this absolution by the Pope and so in despair returns back to the realm of the pagan Goddess Venus - never to be seen again.

Roy Batty is a vat grown solider (knight) who seeks to return to his creator (God) for the purpose of extending his life (eternal life in heaven). He, like Tannhauser, is drawn back to the pure world but also like Tannhauser is denied. Batty cannot ever truly become human however what he doesn't realise is that he was never meant to and does not need to. Just as Tannhauser transgresses by trying to get absolution from the Pope (as opposed to just living a pious life) Roy Batty transgresses by trying to artificially extend his life rather than accepting his mortality and fate.

>t. been on Sup Forums since 2007
You've probably spent most of your time on /s4s/ and /soc/. You wouldn't say what you did if you didn't. Embarrassing.

fucking this
the point was that most humans never went into space in the first place, so the things he saw were wondrous and fantastical; even to the people who claimed to be "real"

I dig this and envision it like what this artwork shows

ridley "superhack" scott didn't write this speech you fucking pleb

t. brainlet

>/soc/, /s4s/
>2007
>being this new

a powerviolence album

why did I read 'a sexual powerviolence album'?

it's not a literal gate though, think it's more like a space station where ships prepare to go into deep space or pssibly a wormhole.

>I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
>Roy has an intensely personal and moral driven moment that's about his character and experience as a "human"
>he's done and seen amazing things that even us humans, the audience, and Deckard, haven't been able to. He's experienced life to a degree that Deckard (and by extension the audience) can't understand
>These amazing personal experiences, memories and moments are all contained within him, and they die with him.
>hurr durr why didnt we get a montage showing everything he saw

pro tip the tears in the rain bit is the important bit of the monologue not the actual shit he's seen

Its an accelerator, allowing the ship to use most of its fuel for slowing down at the destination rather than the entire way.

I thought it was esoteric.

He's never literally seen it. It's a dream.

"Do androids dream of electric sheep?" - do you get it now?

everyone's got a different interpretation i suppose, the only reference of what it actually does is made in reference of a deleted scene of the film Soldier that there was a "Battle of the Tannhauser Gate" so again up to the viewer I reckon

>Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of O. Ryan

The Tannhäuser Prelude is God tier though

we will never see it anyways

>People actually taking the bait and squabbling over this shitposting

There's been like 5+ threads with this dumb nonsense already, get it together Sup Forums.

t. no sense of humor

t. Too new to see the decline of Sup Forums quality and swarm of brainlets

>i saw a space ship once
>when i die this memory will go away

WOW SO DEEP

>I want more life, faggot
It was a different time

It actually is, retard.Why would the director show you something off topic for 5 minutes to handhold brainlets like you? The impression of that scene is hidden behind how witnessing something off-world is extraordinary and how people cant experience it, but even then you'll die and will never live forever to keep those memories.

fuck off normalfag phoneposter

>It actually is

okay, what about the scene where the replicants kill their creator? deckard wasn't there, yet we saw it.