What did Kubrick and Ashby mean by this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HKxLRJsmuB8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biltmore_Estate
twitter.com/AnonBabble

ok ill bump ya

>slap some random iconography in the background
>plebs keep talking about your shitty movies for 40 years
Kubrick was truly a genius

Except that RANDUMB ICONOGRAPY is not from a Kubrick film. Go play with your dads pistol

he is calling kucrick a hack tho

No, I'm actually more interested why there are so many similarities between Being There and most of Kubrick's work. I've heard him and Ashby were friends. There are many coincidences.

are we doin' this, OP ? .. here goes. I think this movie is Hal Ashby making a Kubrick bio-pic. it's not all flattering and not all finger-pointing. for the record I'll say that Being There is - in a sense, my favorite Kubrick movie.

starters. staring Peter Sellers. based on a book.

so, opening scene Being There. the music is Schubert, same piece that we hear at the end of Barry Lyndon. we also see (pic related). kind of strange because it screams The Shining, which wasn't out yet. meaning, maybe Hal visited the set, or he had a spy, or Kubrick was in on this.

side note : does this look like John Lennon ?

he then turns on Mubbly. debut on 9/11/70-something. sometimes gets confused with Muttly, another blue dog. this is because we will confuse this movie with a Stanley Kubrick movie as we go along.

* smiles slightly *

now, a weather report about a snow storm. recall Wendy making dinner while the T.V. news talks about a snow storm.

and here we are in the closed house from the end of Barry Lyndon. side note : dead gold fish in bowl on shelf.

in walks Dick-less Hallorann

side note : first reference to not being able to sleep. I think Hal Ashby knew a lot. Like HAL9000 in A Space Odyssey.

classic

she says, "you're always gonna' be a little boy ain't ya ?" - all work and no play makes Jack adult boy

No idea what you're getting at but I'm intrigued.

this scene has a few blatant references in dialogue, will skip.

showing off the bathroom, but when he says "toilet" he is showing tub. when saying "sink" he's at the toilet. so nothing in the bathroom is what it seems.

second reference to not being able to sleep

showing how Hal Ashby is underrated and how Being There (1979) was about Kubrick.

music playing is a pop funk thus spake zarathustra. very much like Beethoven in Clockwork Orange.

says to cop "excuse me, this tree is very sick." white house. classic Hal.

a red VW

kill yourself you fucking autist

is now a yellow VW. get it ?

OP asked. and honestly, this is pretty obvious and requires no 'tism

moon stage as Zarathustra peaks

meets woman in ermine coat

Basketball Jones, third reference to not being able to sleep

Sellers doing his wheelchair thing

Kubrick literally directed Being There.

shot in ass like Alex. bear rugs like The Shining. Napoleon pics on the wall in the back. behind the pics are hidden closets.

yes, it is supposed to look that way. see

What's 33/Brick/Mason?

youtube.com/watch?v=HKxLRJsmuB8

meet Ben Rand. RAND. getting blood transfusion. gives him energy. asks for "fresh blood for dinner" at one point. meaning to give him the energy to host the president at dinner.

this is BS. it low balls Hal Ashby. he was a genius.

You need mental help

well I can afford it, but this is just a film review not some life derailing sperg

the big room

Right... ok pal

end of part one

keep going

The autist is too autistic. I just see random shit and some mumbled Kubrick quotes. Can I get a tldr?

OP thinks Being There is about Kubrick. There's theories Stanley actually made Being There himself, as well

Actually I'm OP and left a while ago because no bumps. Another user took over for me. Kubrick either had a hand in this or Ashby dedicated this film to him.

side note : our "Overlook Hotel" or better yet, our "Somerton" in this film is the Biltmore Estate owned by the Vanderbilt family

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biltmore_Estate

watch as the magician pulls an ape out of the hat

mein fuhrer, I can walk

another scene full of good dialog, will skip.

snooping in the closet hidden behind the Napoleon picture, the secret service sweeps the area

at the moment Sellers touches his fingers together the secretary off screen says (he is to) "be there"

this scene has a twin in The Shining. When Ullman is showing Jack and Wendy around. The scene with the 7up stacked in the hall.

1. Hal says "notice the paint" - color seem familiar ?

2. Hal says "notice the camera movement" ?

3. the twins that aren't twins walk by (America version)

4. some daisies and a monolith-looking door in the back ?

here is Hal himself going through the files. "Patriotism" bumper stick on cabinet.

more almost twins

on the TV, Mr. Rogers is asking if you can spot the differences between the two pictures.

the Russian ambassador

knights of malta ?

this guy wants to get a ghost writer for Sellers

fun fact : Hal Ashby received 24 Academy Award Nominations up until and including Being There and 0 after

and we're done. Sellers has gone from the closed Barry Lyndon house to lake below The Overlook. Hal/Stan have made their confessions. Hal in Being There and Stan in The Shining.

That's why Sellers is walking on water. He (Hal) is lighter than air having cast aside his burden.

interesting to note that the first shot of The Shining is flying over the water on the way to the hotel. like Sellers flying up to that house.

finally, why include the outtakes ? Sellers was pissed. well, because Being There is all about looking behind the scenes. Destroying any illusions created by (the) film.

thanks for playing, anons. and OP thanks for thread.