Does it bother you Mulan is a princess by their definition?

Does it bother you Mulan is a princess by their definition?

Not really.
I'm more bothered by Jasmine's addition despite not being the main character of the film she's in.

"Princess" means heroine in Disney lore.

Not a single one of them after ariel is a princess

Yet she is more of a character than half the other princess.

More like marketable girl with pretty clothes.

I'm more bothered by Pocahontas than Mulan, personally.

Well, she is the daughter of the chief.

Yes. It triggers me autism.

Belle and Tiana by marriage.
Merida, Rapunzel, and Jasmine by birth.
Pocahontas is the chief's daughter, so may as well be.

I don't really mind them stretching the definition of "princess" or including characters in the line that weren't the protagonists of the movies they appeared in. Also doesn't bother me that certain characters aren't included, because with the liberal definition of "princess" they use you might as well argue any female Disney character ever has a right to be included, and so there's gotta be a line drawn somewhere to keep the franchise's featured characters consistently recognizable and not just a grab-bag of random characters.

It does mildly bother me that Merida is included because that's literally not "Disney Animated Canon" or whatever. It also sort of bothers me that there's a Pocahontas Disney movie at all, when I think about it too much, but that's nothing to do with NOT A PRINCESS

What is the definition, actually?

Whoever they say is one.

Oh, I thought there was some criterion for marketing purposes at least

They specifically addressed it in Moana:

>if you wear a dress and have an animal sidekick, you’re a princess.

Being "nobility" is a side effect of being a princess: think of "princess" as a destiny, not an origin.

>Oh, I thought there was some criterion for marketing purposes at least
It's worth noting that properties which can sustain their own independent marketing (ie, Frozen) are not rolled into the Princess line. This is due to company politics: Ana and Elsa obviously qualify as Princesses, but the franchise has its own marketing team, and the Princess team wouldn't be able to release products which include Ana and Elsa without stepping on the Frozen team's toes.

Huh, so I guess it's a bit fuzzy, especially with that marketing thing. Hm.

No, because it's a brand name. It's not a royal title, it's just a brand. "Oh, but the title princess has so much history!" Well, now it's just a label we slap on a toyline.

This is America, and the only Prince we ever loved is dead.

Who'd win in a deathmatch?

Rapunzel absolutely is.

Kidnapping royalty aside she is the daughter of the reigning monarchy.

I wish Kida and Moana were included

Why would we (I assume we're all Americans) want to respect monarchy titles anyway? The entire country was created to be a "fuck you" to everything monarchy was and stood for.

So long as they keep being fodder for prime rule34, I do not mind in the slightest.