Cyberpunk

Why are there so few legit good cyberpunk films?

For every Strange Days or 2049, we get dozens of Total Recall remake or GITS adaptation bullshit.

Other urls found in this thread:

mckinsey.com/global-themes/middle-east-and-africa/the-closest-look-yet-at-chinese-economic-engagement-in-africa
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

becose your (((masters))) don't like the reality to be depicted in movies, as it is.
only 7/77 entertainment.
you wan't cyberpunk?
just go outside.

It came and went.

Because we have cyberspace, handheld computers, virtual reality etc now and it's garbage

because we live in a version of cyberpunk that's so boring and simultaneously ridiculous that no one saw it coming.

I highly recommend Repo Men (2010) if you're looking for kino

movies like Strange Days and BR2049 only have a niche appeal and don't make much money. Total Recall remake and live action GITS are summer blockbusters and do make money. Its not difficult to see why studios make the latter more.

Because they cost a lot of money and most studios don't want to bankroll films that are based on a premise/setting that doesn't sell

Repo Men was so terrible it's one of the films I walked out on. The other film was Star Wars Episode III. It's that terrible.

THERE ISN'T

trust me I searched for many years

Cyberpunk is a dead genre. Notice how the only cyberpunk being made anymore is just sequels or remakes of stuff from years ago?

It's a great movie. But since you claim you walked out of it, at what point of the movie were you literally triggered enough to exit the theatre

this
Post-cyberpunk is where its at nowadays.

Too serious for most of the modern science fiction audience
Too geeky for people into "serious" cinema

Because we live in a cyberpunk reality already. Unfortunately, there's no real subculture of people fighting using technology, everyone is complacent. Aesthetically speaking, we're as boring and milquetoast as possible so that nobody feel alienated at the expense of nobody feeling like they really fit.

If you followed the 2016 election, you would feel like its the cyberpunk life.

All the info leaks and hacks etc, the claims of julian assage being kidnapped and his footage created by AI etc, shit was lit.

Cyberpunk is inherently connected with the way the past saw the possible future. The only way to really do cyberpunk is retro-futuristic and that is pretty niche.

Because Hollywood wants to turn cyberpunk into action movies. A true cyberpunk film would be filled with existential melancholy about living in the post human era. It's why Ghost in the Shell and GITS Stand Alone Complex are the best examples of cyberpunk!!!FACT!!!

this, sort of.

cyberpunk became reality.

2016 election was memetic warfare on the internet.

nazi frogs, social media bots,

Normies dislike scifi and critics are required to sniff and call it lowbrow, ergo nobody with talent or funding is prepared to do it unless its a already proven franchise like terminator, star wars or aliens.

>daddy what was it like during the meme wars?

SHIT WAS LIT SONNY, WE POSTED FROGS ALL DAMN DAY

Cyberpunk is an even more likely future these days.

>China poised to overtake the US and leave it in the dust.
>Robots about to take everyone's job.
>Corporations involved in spying, propaganda and social engineering on a worldwide scale.
>Environment fucked.
>China already getting into genetic engineering.

Its not hard to envision a future even worse than 80s cyberpunk did, but of course you could never make a film about those themes, since it would be banned by China's totalitarian government.

t. edgelord

i knew hillary had lost the election, the day legitimate media spent all day talking about nazi cartoon frogs and someone shouted Pepe in a hillary speech.

>The only way to really do cyberpunk is retro-futuristic
Neon lights and tiny CRTs all day, baby.

>We will get all the shitty aspects of cyberpunk in real life but none of the cool stuff

Every time I look at Bai Ling all I can think about is how badly I want her to fuck my mouth with her giant dick nipples

2046 > BR2049

more alive then steam punk and diesel punk.

>diesel punk is forever the realm of alternate future video games, and steam punk is stuck in the 'Darth Vader but wooden' realm of fan art.

>Why are there so few legit good cyberpunk films?

we're already living the future cyberpunk warned us about

>"connected" to each other mainly by devices
>sexbots replacing human companions
>overpopulation and environmental damage diminishing the future for the human race
>mass surveillance
>electronic financial/personal crimes having devestating impact on people's lives
>robotic automation leading to unemployment
>unmanned droids conducting warfare with minimal human oversight

Wrecked that guy so hard he never came back.
Probably watching the film right now to look for flaws

>implying
Movies showing the eclipse of the old antiquated West would totally be cleared by the film board

He's sorta right, might be only time I can agree with Sup Forums

>implying the Total Recall remake didn't have a Grade-A world
It's the only reason why both the Total Recalls can be watched, because of the different world-building.

We live in a cyberpunk world. Live the movie.

>>China poised to overtake the US and leave it in the dust.

Explain to me in as little detail as you deem necessary how you think China is going to leverage their current position to outmaneuver both America and Europe on the economic playing field.

Not even American but this is a meme dreamt up by retards with a hateboner for western hegemony.

It'll start happening more and more. Sup Forums is extreme about the way they express themselves but generally the message is correct.

Cyberpunk is degenerate and immoral.

Do not attempt to whitewash the corrupt nature of cyberpunk. It is degeneracy.

Western Hegemony was cemented from exploiting new revolutionary techniques like Industrialization, the Scientific method, and the exploitation of colonial resources. Once these methods were copied by other societies (Japan Korea, Taiwan) it's only a matter of time before the Chinese learn them as well, with their absolutely massive population create an economy completely dwarfing those of any Western power, toppling Western hegemony over world affairs

>degeneracy

>Total Recall remake and live action GITS are summer blockbusters and do make money.
except they didn't and rightfully so. They're no Johnny Mnemonic

Okay, how are they going to do this?

why don't you argue against his point instead of deflecting? It wouldn't even be hard considering his argument is fucking retarded.

Increased national wealth, leads to increeased domestic demand, becoming trendsetters in all national markets. Increased wealth also leads to increased spending in R&D, which will be used to build up a strong domestic base to exploit the technologies of the future, such as solar, quantum entanglement, and electric vehicles. Building up these industries will allow them to exploit them to create the weapons of the future. All in all, this may not mean China will become the new hegemon, since other powers will adapt the same technologies, but Western hegemony will be undeniably over.
Google multipolar world, or read Why The West Rules-For Now

The problem isn't the Sup Forums is wrong, it's that their predictions are too far reaching. The world has to catch up.

Not even worth the effort user.
Anyone using Sup Forums buzzwords unironically like degeneracy deserves to be gassed

>corrupt nature of cyberpunk
that's sort of the point though user, the whole point of cyberpunk is that it usually involves a contrast between significant technological advancement vs. corruption and low society ("we have bioengineered humans! they're slaves, though").

>Increased national wealth

You mean the wealth every single class are desperately offshoring because Chinese markets are volatile and suffer almost bi-annual instability, that national wealth?

China would need to completely upend and 180 their entire current economic model, while simultaneously maintaining a purposefully lowered yuan two completely opposite prospects all the while maintaining social cohesion and control of 5 autonomous regions (likely more given the timescale of this scenario) to stave off civil conflicts that might disrupt any such economic changes (let alone the potential for regional or global conflicts).

I'm not saying America is undefeatable, or disputing a multipolar world, but this notion that China is capable of eclipsing the 'super power' status the US (or even USSR) once had is laughable on it's current trajectory.

They're already doing it.
It's called moving up the value chain.
The UK, US, Germany, Japan, SK, and Taiwan industrialized using this method (which is why they're no sweatshops in these countries anymore cause they've already been outsourced), there's no reason why the Chinese can't do the same. Most IR Scholars don't believe China is going to be a Worldwide hegemon like the US was WW2, but the eclipsing of the West is nearly inevitable and by some measures already occured.

Sage for non Sup Forums

So China will outsource their labour to Africa and maybe for the first time in history it won't be a complete shithole.

Most likely.
They're already building Shoe factories in Ethiopia
mckinsey.com/global-themes/middle-east-and-africa/the-closest-look-yet-at-chinese-economic-engagement-in-africa

Reminder that Taytay could have saved Ghost in the Shell and brought upon us a new era of cyberkino. But they hired a fat old cow instead.

Cybertay:)

GitS was gonna be shit no matter who they cast as Major desu senpai

>swiftbender will never create a race of perfect Aryan children that will make earth great again

Forgot pic lol

What if Snyder directed it, with Nolan producing?

Cyberpunk is dead and any hope that went along with it... Dystopian wastelands are the only thing in our future.

the only direction to take cyberpunk now is to make it more and more hellish. the gleaming utopian neo-liberal star trek dream is boring, and the old-school cyberpunk is now silly looking. BR2049 was a pretty concrete and compelling depiction of hell, I think that's why so many loved it.

you don't know what cyber punk is.
stuff like hackers and Johnny Mnemonic are.

Too bad Bladerunner 2049 was boring shit

Ergo proxy did a pretty good job with that

Nirvana

Is it hard going through life with a lukewarm IQ?

2deep4u intellectual trash is still trash user

Jesus Christ, not that dude but it ain't even that good. Nothing about the movie broke new ground beside the Uncanny Valley scene with the Joi model and Prostitute, and even that didn't reach its full creepy potential.

As for making it good again, making it like 2049 would just flatten the visual potential. Bright lights and holograms are still fine, the stories just need more substance.

Why isn't there surrealist cyberpunk? If cyberpunk is more in tune with reality, drop the hard science and make it more dreamlike, psychedelic and strange.

desu the anti-abortion commentary was very groundbreaking for a major hollywood movie, especially the Cecile Richards look alike, it was so obvious once I made the connection.

Agree though, the first Blade Runner is very over hyped in terms of substance, I think this movie had more to it, but nothing like the book in terms of commentary on pathological Judaism.

They already made it.
Surrealist cyberpunk was Inception and Paprika.
Which brings an interesting question, which is better cyberpunk movies or cyberpunk anime?

>Inception
>surreal

Not really what I had in mind when I said that. Or Paprika...

Surrealist Cyberpunk to me would be more in the vain of something where it would have all the elements of being grounded on a futuristic earth, but elements of it being so strange or scenes that take a hard turn into delusion, but are never explicitly explained off as "simulation" or a dream. That is what I think is a true cyberpunk nightmare. Where one second you could be in a nostalgia daydream, then cruising through a hovering highway, and then hit some pothole that evokes an error in reality revealing some "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" type scenario.

I wish there were more films with a really stark contrast between modern society and futuristic imagery. I think that's why I like cyberpunk because it's futuristic without being TOO shiny and clean.

We need Perfect Dark kino

tetsuo?

>I have seen things you people wouldn't believe
>pictures of frogs on the internet triggering thousands
>presidents being chosen through memes

I'm going to let you guys in on a little secret.
There is a Post apoc/ CYBERPUNK hybrid you should watch called HARDWARE (1990)

Becareful in the zone.

This but we don't really see the cool shit of it either.
There is no sub culture who fights against the government for fucking up, its like everyone is the wageslave which they show as the complacent person in cyberpunk.
Only thing we still need is that corporations take over from the government in a direct way instead of behind the shadows like they did now.

God that movie is terrible.

It wasn't even that stop spouting the same shitty meme.
It only asked basic questions that every human can relate too but most moviegoers are the 'just turn your brain off bro' type.

I watched that movie a couple of years ago expecting sort of a Terminator-like thing with people trying to survive with a killing machine after them. Instead I got a really cool movie that shows a little bit of some people's lives in a post-apocalypse, with a bit of c-grade slasher movie in the last 20 minutes.
I thought it was really great for the most part, but weirdly enough the actual robot attacking stuff turned out to be the worst part of the whole film. I mean, there's even the bit where the woman is running away and trips for basically no reason, then just keeps crawling instead of getting back up.

I did snatch it up the moment I came across the Blu-Ray on a shelf, though. It was quite a surprise, considering here in New Zealand it's pretty tough to find little gems like that anywhere. I should give it another watch soon.

Wasn't that made by the guy who got kicked off of the Dr. Moreau movie with Brando?

I mainly really enjoy it for the atmosphere and cyberpunk features like the fat guy hacker peeping on the chick.

and the lore of the zone wanderers searching for robot parts to scrap is just so cool to me.

I agree the robot part wasnt as good, but im sure it would be pretty hard on a low budget of 1 million to get it to be like terminator class

not sure, director: Richard Stanley

Yeah, it turned out to have a real charm to it. It really caught me off guard, considering the basic plot description everywhere made it sound like a robot slasher movie.

Hardware is The Little Film That Couldn't Quite.

thats what she said [replace film with my dick] [also replace hardware with my name]

was this supposed to be tounge-in-cheek? i can't even tell.

The concept in it's current form has been explored to it's fullest extent.

There will be future cyberpunk films (post-cyberpunk or whatever the fuck you wanna call it), but they will have to innovate in some way. BR2049 was great cyberkino but it didn't innovate in the same way the original BR did.

were Minority Report and Aeon Flux cyberpunk movies?

i know this isnt Sup Forums but im looking forward to cyberpunk 2077.

Yeah that was him.
He also got bitten in the ass since he plagiarised Hardware from a 2000 AD story.

Nope

whycome?

Meant for but I too am looking forward to it

GITS is kino

Lol was thinking about 2046 the other day, forgotten kino