The Bob Kane Douchebaggery Train still has no breaks

>(Joe) Giella had the fortune of working with Bob Kane, and genuinely enjoyed his experiences with him. He regaled us with a particular Kane story that many people may not know. Back before Kane retired from DC comics, he used to have a TV program where he would draw various Batman characters. Giella was actually a ghost artist, drawing the characters in blue pencil (as to not show up on TV), and Kane would draw over them in black marker. Giella’s children found this to be unfair, but Giella merely shrugged his shoulders and said “I was just an artist.”

bleedingcool.com/2017/01/22/evening-legendary-dc-artist-joe-giella/

Other urls found in this thread:

chud.com/community/t/96681/bob-kane-story
twitter.com/AnonBabble

When is this going to come the point where DC will have to add all those other names to the "created by" credits? At what point will his family take down that stupid damn tombstone on his grave?

still won't top the clown story

Finger finally started getting a credit!

When this types of news reach mainstream media or mainstream attention

What clown story?

This one I believe.

chud.com/community/t/96681/bob-kane-story

Well, this guy didn't exactly "create" anything for Batman, he just made drawings.

In terms of who created Batman, there's nobody to credit other than Finger and Kane. For Golden/Silver Age stories, they add credits in reprints that specify otherwise uncredited artists and writers, but only if they can be proven to have worked on it. Officially, there's no way to take Kane's name off a story that has his credit on it, even if we KNOW it was ghostdrawn, unless it can be absolutely proven who worked on it, which is basically impossible.

Among comics historians, there's plenty of research into trying to find who really drew most Kane-credited stories and uncredited stories. But it'll always be just unofficial and have no legal leg to stand on.

Kane's name will never come off of the credits because it's all there in writing. And honestly, he DID create Batman, whether or not he had as much to do with it as Finger, or if he contributed nothing to the character beyond that initial issue, we know he did draw Detective Comics #27 and designed Batman himself.

That twist.

>When is this going to come the point where DC will have to add all those other names to the "created by" credits?

The reason they only had Kane for so long was because Kane sued them and FORCED them to credit him and ONLY him.

A rational, thought out and considered response here on the site known to some as "The Devils toilet" or "that Tibetan basket weaving forum"?

I still fucking hate the guy because he was clearly a piece of shit, but you make many good points.

that fucking twist, holy shit.

>still won't top the clown story

Nah man, the Steranko bitch slap story will always be the funniest Kane story.

That's normal.

TV production schedules are tight and, unless you've got no budget at all, the star is going to have a lot of things done in preparation for them.

I mean, Bob Kane was undeniably a shitbag, but this is the equivalent of complaining that he didn't do all the lighting changes on the show or build the sets or do his own makeup or whatever. It's just how it works - smoothly, with minimal fuckups.

I think his estate still holds a lot of rights, but it seems like they're getting desperate in recent years. Remember when he got a square on the Hollywood Walk of Fame?

Yeah, those cost $20,000 apiece just to install and you have to apply to the committee - which is a private concern, not part of the municipal government - to be considered at all. Nobody ever gave them out for free, they're tourism promotion, that's all.

They're not even permanent - you can have yours taken up at any time (and this frequently happens); repair cost is I think up to the named individual too. And, if the committee approves you, you can still get put somewhere that reflects your actual influence. Some people get put where the whores hang out; other people get put where the garbage gets put on collection days.

Bob Kane got put outside a McDonalds. You ever see the sidewalk outside a McDonalds in a major city?

So yeah I think the Kane estate is desperate to keep the memory alive, but it's not cheap and DC/WB have admitted Bill Finger's involvement in Batman, so... it's probably just one old lady remembering Bob wrong because she loved him.

Give it a couple years, it'll stop. When the litigants are all gone, nobody will be admitted as creators.

lmao, fuck that guy

user wasn't talking about Kane's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, they were talking about attached pic.

It might as well be a statue of Kane sucking his own dick.

Honestly if Giella himself didn't give a fuck why should anyone else.

This just seems like his grandkids trying to get a free meal.

Fucking Christ, that's an untasteful gravestone.

>goodness, kindness, compassion, sensitivity, generosity, intelligence, integrity, courage, purity of spirit, a love of all mankind

He forgot modesty.

Back in the '60s, Bob tried to cash in on Roy Lichtenstein's success by selling oil painting versions of old Batman panels.

He had to stop when he was sued... by the woman he was paying to blow up the panels and paint them. The guy was literally too lazy to even trace existing artwork that he could sell for a lot of money.

It's a grave, not a legal document. You know he wrote it himself.

You ever walk around a graveyard? All those "beloved husband" and "faithful wife" stones? They never say "hated by his family because he thought his foul-smelling farts were hilarious and made them at every possible opportunity, but he had the money because women couldn't work" or "she screwed around but she always used birth control and never got weird, this headstone paid for by the grateful poolboys of America".

Headstones are never particularly realistic when they go into detail. Hell there's enough that have got angels on them and you know the people in those graves weren't angelic, just rich. People get pious at the end, too. When they know it's coming, they like to set out their vision of how it was before they meet their final judgement.

Nobody wants to be forgotten. See him as the flawed and frightened man he was instead of the power-crazed ogre you want him to be. It won't change what he did, but you'll be happier.

>You were once such a great artist.'
>He wasn't but you had to talk to Bob that way.

>Nobody wants to be forgotten. See him as the flawed and frightened man he was instead of the power-crazed ogre you want him to be. It won't change what he did, but you'll be happier.

Pull your lips from Kane's dick. He's a piece of shit in life and he remains so in death.

not the point he was trying to make whatsoever.

he was pointing out that gravestones often inflate the truth a LOT.

how much do you want to bet a bunch of murderers, rapists, and other big-time criminals have gravestones like 'loving father' 'loyal husband' or 'cared for the community'?

a lot of people who are prepared for their deaths buy and write their own gravestone epitaphs.

I thought it was pretty common knolage that Bob Kane counldn't draw much of anything and any art that was credited to him post-1945 was a series of ghost artists like Bill Finger or Sheldon Moldoff.

There's a big difference between "beloved husband" and "THIS MAN WAS INFUSED WITH THE POWER OF GOD"

This makes me sick.

Holy shit your anus must be brimming with Kan's cum.

Obviously people write their own epitaphs and put a positive spin on their life, but Kane's grave is ridiculous.

>your anus must be brimming with Kan's cum

...did you miss the part where I compared him to murderers and rapists?

At least they're keeping it fucking short.

>Robert Kane aka Bob Kane
>October 24,1915 - November 3, 1998

>Beloved Husband, Father, Grandfather.

>May he forever live on in the stories of his beloved creation, Batman.

I caught the part where you're trying to spin that masturbatory epitaph. Spit out his semen and stop trying to defend him.

show me on the doll where kane touched you.

Kanefag please.

What's it like being such a transparent shill?

>I was at Bob Kane's funeral (By the way, Kane was buried with Batman toys. I'm serious; before they closed the coffin, they were putting little toy Batmobiles in there.) As they were lowering Bob Kane into the ground, Stan Lee turns to me and says out of nowhere, 'You know Steve Ditko was the best inker Jack Kirby ever had.' I said, 'All right.' Now, because Stan doesn't have the greatest attention span in the world, we're out in the middle of Forest Lawn (cemetery), and he says, 'There's lots of celebrities here, aren't there?' 'Yes, Stan Laurel is buried here; I saw the grave marker as we were coming in.' 'Really? Let's go see it!' 'Wait. Let them finish lowering Bob first.'

This was done by the dude that did the batman tas comics.