Is there a more emotionally devastating moment in film than this?

Is there a more emotionally devastating moment in film than this?

>when Mom won't let you stay up

What stopped him from committing suicide on all the years after the incident?

what movie is this?

>tfw he says "please!"
>his dad and his brother are watching
>that realization that his life is fucking over and he'll never be able to feel anything again
It's up there

His brother guilting him

wtf was this "movie" even about?

manchester by the sea

Hello, woman.

Nothing

It was like seinfeld

the difficulties of certain kinds convalescence

Would you guys use this as a prime example of a tragedy movie?

and people paid to watch that?

why not just stay home and watch a documentary?

emotionally manipulative trite
>lol look at this extremely horrible tragedy feel sad yet? haha thats how good movies are!

in the classic sense? I don't think so, as in tragedies usually affect the one who cause it by hubris

same reason you'd look at any artwork

The Departed

really faggot?
the movie was already contemplative window into the life of a destroyed person, there was nothing overly-dramatic or edgy about this, it was a sincere execution and felt really human
you dumb morron

Dear Zachary or maybe the bus scene in Margaret

>the face of his dad hardly processing what's going on, hardly getting on his feet while the action takes place

it was kino

A man having to cope with the fact that he committed a heinous moral crime.

what crime was that?

I've never seen the film but I've only seen this scene. Why'd he try to kill himself?

about a man JUSTED to hell and back and his inability to do anything about it

he killed his kids

'classic' tragedies either involve a fatal flaw that could be hubris (or ambition or jealousy) and/or a series of escalating misfortunes/misunderstandings.

wtf?

why?

Negligence

he went to the store to get Mike and ikes for family kino night and left popcorn cooking, burned his house down and killed his kids

it was a prank bro

Pratty's is a gross shithole of a bar only townies go to.

heavy

He may have gone too far in places

Watch the movie

I wish the movie ended right here with him successful pulling the trigger so I didn't have to waste my time watching the rest of this gay meandering garbage where the guy still remains as a total fuckup with no reason to keep going yet we still watch him plodding along with no purpose.

uhm what are you actually discussing here?

but it looks boring as shit

It's comfy

Its real life the movie. I have honestly never seen a movie capture the feeling of real life like it. Without being pretentious about it.

I know i'll get meme'd on but you are seriously missing out on an extremely amazing film. In my opinion.

it's about giving up and learning to live with it

why would i want a movie that captures the feeling of real life
i watch movies to escape reality not to be confronted with it

not everything has to be cgi action scenes with one liners every 10 minutes

Okay you've captured my interest. Ill check it out.

>i watch movies to escape reality not to be confronted with it
Pleeeeb

Then I guess it's not for you.

found the 13 year old

keep on being a bitch and watch your superhero kinos then

I really don't think you'll be disappointed. Casey affleck deserved that Oscar. Enjoy.

The sweater he's wearing is from a bar in Gloucester Massachusetts called Pratty's

that is because it is boring as shit. A movie about loss and depression with nothing interesting to say about it.

>i watch movies to escape reality not to be confronted with it
I unironically want to murder you

>tfw you relate to the main character and you didn't even have to burn children alive for that

the only thing i didn't really get with this movie was the fights. why did he keep picking fights with people? did he do it because he wanted to get his ass kicked?

>Without being pretentious about it

>Literature that is not the breath of contemporary society, that dares not transmit the pains and fears of that society, that does not warn in time against threatening moral and social dangers — such literature does not deserve the name of literature; it is only a façade. Such literature loses the confidence of its own people, and its published works are used as wastepaper instead of being read.
The same applies to films and television.

>I watch movies to escape reality not to be confronted with it
you don't deserve to watch the movie
you don't deserve anything that is not disposable
you don't deserve anything of value

get out and never come back

Whats pretentious about it? I knew i'd get meme'd on but I want to hear what you think is pretension.

Lashing out at others due to self hate
wanted to go to jail/face punishment for what he did
really hated normies

It had a lot to do with the dialogue. That's Lonergan's style

I agree with you user, shit felt so real

the scene when he runs into his ex wife and he keeps stumbling and tripping over words was some serious acting shit. that felt completely real

Anger, When my grandfather died my dad almost laid a guy out for taking a parking spot from him. He felt really bad about it immediately after but they couldn't find the guy when they left the store to apologise.

Loss does all sorts of things to you, Usually you have self hate or just you go through a lot of anger when dealing with regret or sadness.

It's fine to have movies that invoke the feeling of real life if it uses it for a deeper purpose. This movie though had nothing like that, it was mostly hot air.

Couldn't agree more. It wasn't some perfectly crafted dialogue or perfectly said words. He just didn't want to be there and didn't know what to say.

I was really move when tom cruise confronts leo crow in minority report. Pure spielkino

god I felt such disgust for that bitch
>fucking hell, just ignore the man, leave him alone
>why you had to behave like an unstable fucking child?
>jesus fucking christ beat it casey, you're better than her

got really triggered I tell you what

Movies are literally made to invoke emotions or tell a story, regardless of tragedy.

Thats grasping at straws for an argument against it.

GOD I FUCKING HATE HOW MANIPULATIVE COMEDIES ARE
>lol look at these jokes, laugh at them!

i felt bad for her because i get why she left him, but yea she was kind of disgusting. she's there with her new born kid and she's telling him that she still loves him and wants to have lunch with him. that was some scum bag shit. i guess she didn't realize she was rubbing his face in how she got passed it but he didn't.

watch elephant man

Movies like a drama should also offer something insightful for the audience to chew on. Manchester By The Sea does nothing of the sort.

For me it was the fucking ost. Maybe I'm an autist but it just ruins the immersion for me. I get it, this is a sad scene, you don't have to shove this fucking music down my throat in addition.

the movie is more of a character study but you're just too stupid to realize it

>movies should do this

Kys pleb

Not every movie should do that. It was there to tell a story, that you can feel because of its realism. There was no message that it was trying to keep people pondering. It was self contained and I completely disagree that you need something insightful.

Infact, it did the opposite Lee couldn't get over his kids death, it didnt have a "everythings okay! Live and let live and move on!" storybook ending.

Movies shouldn't stick to conventions, that's what makes great movie making, defying them.

I do think thats a lot to do with movies just being assumed to have a soundtrack now and a lot of people try to say "lol wheres the music". I wouldn't disagree with you though.

>"oh honey, I love you"
>"You don't understand. There's noth- There's nothing there."

>Durr I'm so smart to understand a movie about a sad guy
this movie is pretentios for such a reason. all it has going for it is a sad story but offers nothing beyond that even as far as a character study.

can you think for yourself user?

It offers a look at a man who is emotional destroyed, his attempt to reconcile with the past and try to move on but his failure to do so. The pain being to great.

Its easy to just call him a "sad guy" but thats clearly not the only thing he is.

i think you just want typical hollywood shit, you were probably hoping that he'd get over it and live happily ever after. the guy is completely destroyed and sometimes there's just no coming back from it.

I do, that is why I understand when a movie needs more then just a dismal subject matter instead of mindlessly praising any depressing drama that comes my way like you plebs.

that would be Kurosawa’s Ran

that scene was amazing

Michelle Williams should have won the oscar for that

oh what do you wanted? a narrator making a reflection about the situation?
you wanted a happy ending? you wanted a black screen explaining that the guy finally made it and he was successful and cool?
you wanted a positive cathartic experience?
fuck you, this is how life works, there are no happy ending or explicit parabolas for dumb sheep like you

fuck you, go back to capeshit

Problem Child 2

wtf I’m sold now, sounds like total kinographè

actually the problem with that was it attempts to subvert the redemption arc by setting up the nephew relationship that doesn't end up how you might hope it will, but instead of successfully doing that it meanders around this dynamic until it ends with a half measure attempt at the redemptive arc with no meaningful development with the lead. An increadible clumsy attempt at that subversion.

Thats how life is though. Tell me half the people on this site don't feel this way.

those people should probably kill themselves tbqh

>protag is depressed at beginning and the end
>nothing changes
What's the point of watching the movie?
>inb4 that's just like life dudeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want a story worth watching. You act like this is the first movie you have seen without a typical happy ending. It's not and overall it's rather medoicre in that field.

>that please

Honey, I killed the kids in a house fire

looks pretty overdramatic desu, if he just waited he could have gone and bought a gun later and shot himself then

He lost his children hours before. He might not have been in his right mind. Just a guess.

The pain was too great to bear

There is:

The moment immediately after this when he realizes the safety is on, takes it off, and determinedly tries to fight off the cops long enough to do it right.

>emotionally devastating
If by emotionally devastating you mean 'comfy' yes