What caused all the animals and crops to die? Nuclear war?

What caused all the animals and crops to die? Nuclear war?

Other urls found in this thread:

climate.envsci.rutgers.edu/pdf/RobockToonSciAmJan2010.pdf
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Toba
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

think the book mentions solar flares

It doesn't matter.

I personally thought Volcano

Yellowstone

gay aids

Dying sun or something like that.

Pretty sure there is something said about big booms echoing through the world then everything going dark

Also all the clocks stopping which suggests some sort of emp.

Nuclear bombs going off and then fucking the atmosphere killing off plants and then killing off plant eating animals, probably.

This.

Climate change

>EMP stops non-electronic, mechanical things from working

>all clocks are non-electronic

>all clocks are electronic

BLONAD DUMPF

They don't exhibit signs of radition poisioning from fallout.

Yellowstone event. Most likely.

annihilated

Asteroid.

Cormac mccarthy 's scientist friend recalled cormac visiting him enquiring about the ramifications of such a strike on the earth.

Book also mentions a blinding white light in the sky and the old man says he saw it coming...and was blinded by it.

>moving the goalpost this hard
>samefagging

The absolute best explanation I've heard is shifting tectonic plates. Its mentioned that minor earth quakes are common, the ground and sky are filled with ash which would likely occur due to the plate shifts causing massive volcanic eruptions. One thing the book never mentions is radiation or anything like it, even in population centers, in the event of a world wide nuclear war that would be a huge issue and something to be avoided.

>Also all the clocks stopping which suggests some sort of emp.
>all the clocks
>all

???

>moving the goalpost is not fair despite me just doing the same before

ENOUGH

ENOUUUUUGGGGHH!!!!!!

Well that's what it said in the movie. How could a volcano or asteroid cause all the clocks to stop?

I don't know, man. Honestly I just enjoy arguing over trivial semantics.

>not just enjoying posting wojaks

That's the stupidest answer I've ever heard.

Nuclear War scares the everloving shit out of me. I'd MUCH rather a comet wipe us out.

climate.envsci.rutgers.edu/pdf/RobockToonSciAmJan2010.pdf

this

CRISPr knocking out blocks in the fewd chainz

i only prefer a comet over nuclear war because if its a big enough comet then i actually get to go to space

niggers

thanks for sharing; will read later

I think the point was that it didn’t matter, it was the reality of the situation the father had to raise his son in

Sneed posting

goddamn all day this

Read the book.
This is what's described
>ash everywhere
>storms apparently (not in much detail what kind of storms)
>un-survivable winters if you life above the bible belt (usa)
>roads are destroyed and roots grow over them
>no crops and very little sun light
>one time he goes into a city and its burned down, people dead in the cars they tried to escape it, melted to the seats

Probably a nuclear war

Going to repost this because people seemed to have missed it due to their wojack posting

The absolute best explanation I've heard is shifting tectonic plates. Its mentioned that minor earth quakes are common, the ground and sky are filled with ash which would likely occur due to the plate shifts causing massive volcanic eruptions. One thing the book never mentions is radiation or anything like it, even in population centers, in the event of a world wide nuclear war that would be a huge issue and something to be avoided.

Also I never remember clocks stopping being mentioned, does someone have a page number so someone can confirm and we're not arguing forever over something from another book?

Not imortant

Pollution from the road.

Yeah thats true they never mention radiation poisoning. And especially that they were in a city that one of the main disasters occurred. But they do carry around gas masks if you remember that they had to wear in the city

I think the stopped clocks thing is just in the Tarantino version.

tarantino made the road?

I don't seem to remember gas masks ever being mentioned, and if so I think it was just so you didn't give yourself black lung from breathing in massive amounts of ash.

no they specifically used it when walking in the city. but burning rubber and shit gives off cyanide so maybe thats why?

>mfw you're right and I get the reference

It was intentionally vague.

No crops but roots have destroyed roads and buildings.

>Oprah Book Club tier

>WSJ: When you discussed making "The Road" into a movie with John, did he press you on what had caused the disaster in the story?

>CM: A lot of people ask me. I don't have an opinion. At the Santa Fe Institute I'm with scientists of all disciplines, and some of them in geology said it looked like a meteor to them. But it could be anything—volcanic activity or it could be nuclear war. It is not really important. The whole thing now is, what do you do? The last time the caldera in Yellowstone blew, the entire North American continent was under about a foot of ash. People who've gone diving in Yellowstone Lake say that there is a bulge in the floor that is now about 100 feet high and the whole thing is just sort of pulsing. From different people you get different answers, but it could go in another three to four thousand years or it could go on Thursday. No one knows.

so its an EMP Volcano?

It was a nuclear comet, fucking brainlets

My big issue with The Road is that there are next to no guns or ammo left and its only about a decade into the apocalypse. Now remember, this takes place in the US, we have roughly a 1:1 ratio of guns to people, both are around 310 million. We must have bullets numbering in the billions at least. Gun are unlikely to get destroyed in any large number, most guns are kept in metal safes, which, while not invincible are located within buildings offering them a large degree of protection from the elements. Lets say a decade into an apocalypse with that much of humanity wiped out only 25% of guns and ammo are still around. Humanity is probably at less than 1%, maybe even .1%, that would mean we're still going to have in excess of 25 guns to every one person and with plenty of ammo to boot. The idea of guns or ammo ever being in short supply within the United States is pretty absurd.

I think the book mentions something about flashes of light

I think the point is that it doesn't really matter what happened because everything is fucked anyway

>father and son are always on the move
>they're always focused on finding what little food there is left and don't have time to pry open gun safes
>don't want to fuck around with guns that have been out in the elements because they might misfire and get your ass cannibalized
I think you're just autistic

It was a man-made EMP meteor

Are you people retarded? This is literally Cormac McCarthy explaining it.

Smh

Yellowstone supervolcano makes more sense. All the tectonic plates suddenly moving a ton like that is more far-fetched. There was one 75k years ago that killed most humans on the planet and dropped the global average temp quite a bit.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Toba

yeah but that one didnt stop all the clocks

Rust is a mother fucker if you don't have a constant supply of CLP to keep your gun functioning

What part of Cormac McCarthy saying "I don't have an opinion", "It doesn't really matter" don't you people get.

Is that not clear enough for you?

None of it does

No shit, maybe people have fun speculating.

>EMP volcanoes

shutup you fucking autist.

Artists are supposed to say that. Matisse said that a painter ought to have his tongue cut out.

It's clear YOU'RE the retarded one here. It was obviously volcanic Russian nanobots.

You can't speculate on something that has been definitively explained.

Smh

FUCKING RUSSIANS

Am I the only one who got a religious feel out of it? Sure, more explanations could be just natural except for the nukes, but the part of all the clocks stopping at the same time is some really biblical end of the times kind of thing.

Imagine this much of a sperg

Imagine being this much of a brainlet.

IT's a nuclear war - the author of the source book was heavily influenced by the cold war. There was also a sort of 'flash' alluded to in the film

>saw movie in theater
>see parents bringing kids under 10 to it
>walked out in under 5 minutes

>The majority of remaining humans are cannibals who want to slowly eat you
>Lets not spend some time actually arming ourselves, having suicide be the only way out when cornered is a fine option.

Plastic bag. Problem solved

>read 80% of the book
>can't finish it
>never see movie

the author literally explains here: why do you people make things up?

>-b-but muh textual evidence that I'm pulling out of my ass

its obviously a volcanic eruption. its explained as much

>That spacing

space ogre ashed his giant cigar duh

go to bed Sup Forums

hi shills

we know, nuclear war is super serial and we should all live in fear

fuck off

>reading for the plot
Brainlets, what's even worse is that you are discussing it lmso

>author does not know what happened in own novel

author is an idiot and an untalented hack

i said volcano you stupid twat

the answer has already been given by the creator of the fucking book

you're either a retard or you're a shill

my guess is shill.

Grand solar minimum.

>shill
Do you even know what that word means?? Go back to the hole that spawned you, you fuckin redditor

>you fuckin redditor
you're obvious as fuck

get a new line of bullshit

are you going to debate what 2+2 equals next you fucking dickhead? There is no mystery here.

The story doesn't really belong to him anymore. He sold the rights to Hollywood so the world from the road is kind of public domain now.

No. Sorry. The man who wrote the story is the god of that universe.

Fuck off you lame desperate fuck.

>He sold the rights to Hollywood so the world from the road is kind of public domain now.
what are you fucking on about? this is why you're getting called a shill. Cormac Mccarthy himself has addressed the issue. There is no debate. It's not 'public domain'. That's not even the correct application of the concept of 'public domain'. Fuck off.

troll or shill?

>you're getting called a shill
What is he shilling for?

One time I had a dream that the sun burned out and I woke up before sunrise. It freaked me out pretty bad for a minute.

more importantly, would you join a rape gang for survival?

honestly yeah but im not proud of that fact

Hell no, I'd start my own gay biker gang.

>for survival

no. for orgasmic pleasure.