Anyone else like the Sam and Max cartoon on here? Or the franchise in general

Anyone else like the Sam and Max cartoon on here? Or the franchise in general.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dD39NsfJ-TE)
youtube.com/watch?v=Ks8S1z53BnU
youtube.com/watch?v=YJrYs6pPYtw
youtu.be/VRl2XFJ_tg4
youtu.be/Ks8S1z53BnU
desuarchive.org/co/thread/88172741/#88278781
mega.nz/#!JMhGmQAC!-Vjv3Fv_AKcDI2YtHRtmyT7BhsdBLdfm5OZekm-fQ3U
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I do

Yes and yes.

the comics were amazing and the games were great.

the cartoon is a couple shades below both for me. doesn't capture the manic-ness of the series.

Ms. Givens: Oh my, surely there's more to your occupation than just pummeling vaporous anomalies insensible!
Sam: *falsetto* No, that's pretty much it.

>No shirt, no shoes, no souvlaki
>Good thing pants are optional!

>As a harpy, I feel devalued by your derogatory usage of the term!

Did somebody say "Sam & Max!?"

i had trouble placing the voice for the longest time

I wish Telltale would just make season 4 already. Quit pandering to cool geek chic and make something actual geeks would like to see

I want to like this show but it's too "smugly subversive 90s"'

There are a TON of subtle and not-so subtle Canadian things in the shows, being made by Nelvana and all. and Sam's voice (youtube.com/watch?v=dD39NsfJ-TE) are the most stand out leafy-feely.

I kinda feel the same way, honestly. And by games I'd be including both the Lucasarts game and the Telltale games.

I've seen people say they don't like their voices in the TT games but honestly I always felt they were perfect.

For me i liked the cartoon over the games, but the comics were the best.
I just liked the cartoon voices better and I still love that they adapted "A bad day on the moon" so closely.

Literally everyone on here loves Sam and Max and those that say differently either haven't seen it or are being edgy.

I would fucking love a season 4, but I don't want any more of the Soda Poppers.

I actually really like the cartoons. I feel like giving them those manic high energy voices that contrasted with their dialogue was hilarious.

I love the comics, the show, AND the games.

I really wanted to like it, really.

But it's just a watered-down version of the comics.

Verne: The friend for life

I only ever played Sam & Max Hit the Road which I love. Would I like the cartoon based on that?

Probably not.
Sam-&-Max-ness from highly-concentrated to dilute:
Hit the Road
Surfin' the Highway
Freelance Police
TellTale Games

Didn't they all get sent to hell anyways?

The cartoon isn't based on anyone thing and is more or less it's own thing. But overall yeah it's funny.

shiieeet. Oh well thanks for being honest

Don't listen to him, user. The cartoon is great. Just keep in mind it was made for a slightly younger audience, though I'm still surprised with some of the jokes they got away with.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ks8S1z53BnU

Can't think of a reason not to.

It's Lorne.

I love the cartoon despite not playing much of the games.

That's really a great example of how the show is a watered-down version of the comics.
- most of the dialogue and the jokes are taken verbatim from the comics
- things that aren't (like The Geek) are usually a benign form of executive meddling
- things that are original to the show that actually came from Purcell are diluted
The show is better than most kids shows but still a notch or two lower than the comics and the LucasArts game, which is probably Sam & Max at their peak.

Oh yeah, I forgot they did that in the comic.

I dunno, still think the cartoon did it funnier. Though the voices probably help, along with Sam's "Well, this has grown tiresome!" Kills me every time.

But different strokes, still think user should give the show a chance.

why are the comics so expensive

Max dies in the last game

But then comes a max from a different timeline/dimension where it was Sam who became psychic super godzilla instead and that max joins Sam in the current time line like nothing happened.

Status. Quo.

What I like about the telltale games is that they feel more like a love letter to old computer games/point-and-clicks in general than to Sam & Max alone.

Also that fucking music.

Best Sam voice, too.

He also dies in the comics

Is Max gay for Sam?

Too bad we'll never get a season 4 since telltale is stuck in easy most for the foreseeable future. Each of the sam and max seasons were significantly better than the last so I would have loved to see what they did with it.

We also never got a soundtrack for season 3 which is a crime.

Sam and Max is like the one property I know off where if purcell decided to go "yeah they're gay" it wouldn't feed bad or forced.

Sam does remind Max several times that he "doesn't like girls".

The last Telltale game was so weaksauce. I can't believe they had Max place the well-being of a nothing character like Sybil above himself. He's supposed to be a comical psycho.

Whatever is funnier at the moment.

Seconding that fucking music
youtube.com/watch?v=YJrYs6pPYtw

They incinerated the Soda Poppers in hell at the end of the second "season" of games (during which they appear very little). I'm sure they realized how much the player-base hated them and killed them off as a sort of apology.

youtu.be/VRl2XFJ_tg4
>I think I'll just close this window for no good reason.
>*Splat*
gets me every time for some reason

>SAM, GRAB ME BY THE EARS
>There are children watching, Max

Purcell said they're gay if it makes for a funny punchline

It's been more than a few years, but I remember the cartoon being decently funny but painfully nineties in retrospect. To me, the cartoon never seemed to properly convey the crass trash aesthetic shown by the comics. In the comics it's charming that they're up to their elbows in junkfood wrappings, but in the cartoon it just seems like a disgusting trashheap.

If we're comparing, I actually think the Telltale games managed to convey Purcell's bleak and cynical satire of consumerism better than the cartoon.

Maybe I'm biased against the cartoon though. The first Sam & Max property I was introduced to was Hit the Road, which I remember my parents playing. We had a gravis soundcard too, so that lovely intro sounded really amazing.

Some episodes and Jones are directly lifted from the comic like the episode A bad day on the moon and the arts and crafts segment.
youtu.be/Ks8S1z53BnU

I have it the other way around, my first introduction was the cartoon and later i played the games and I could never like the games voice acting as much as the cartoon because it uses a very fast phase almost Tarantino esque way of delivering the dialog that makes the jokes extra funny to me. The games felt slow to me and I always read the comics with the cartoon's voice, specially Sam.

I think it's definitely the voices. I've been re-thinking my comment in the same light and I have to agree. I really find the cartoon voices to just be not as good.

I take back the "maybe" I said earlier. I'm definitely biased in Hit the Road's favor, my frigging email alert noise is Sam's line, "Oh boy, we got a message!" from the game.

I do have to wonder what my preferences would be if my parents had been forced to settle for the voiceless DOS version...

You got my comment wrong, i prefer the cartoon voices

Right, yes. I meant it was just a case of us preferring the voices we heard first over the other voices. A nice little setup for some compare and contrast. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Ah i see, sorry.

I love the cartoon, though it's a bumpy ride for the first half of the episodes. They definitely did have to "water down" the content to make it kid friendly but that's to be expected - it was a Saturday morning cartoon so the adult humor had to be hidden when possible or removed when caught. Really wish it was given more of a chance, though, since some of the later episodes are downright fantastic.

A few years back we used to have streaming meetups here where we'd watch some episodes and play drinking games to them. If anyone here went to those thanks for the participation and art.

Hit the Road Max is best Max voice
Cartoon Sam is best Sam voice

I swear to god this is probably one of the most underrated franchises I've ever seen.

Is there a mega or something with all the cartoon episodes?

>r63 Sam
>isn't fat

>"This is exactly the kind of hair-raising caper we can wrap our overactive adrenal glands around"
>"Are you talking dirty!?"

Every fucking time.

It's not a thing the kind of woman sam would be would do. Eating like that was more of a male vice for the setting.

I think anyways.

yeah but Sams weight and his eating habits were always a bit of a joke

hell even Poker Night 2 had a whole schtick where he was genuinely surprised to hear that there are other foods in the world besides junk food, and that the only reason he's alive is because all of the sheer amount of preservatives he has consumed

desuarchive.org/co/thread/88172741/#88278781

There ya go man, some kind soul dumped them a few months back.

Now if someone had a link to the comics that'd be stellar.

Sam is gay for Max, Max may or may not understand sexual attraction and may not even have genitals.

Thanks, mighty kind of you!

Absolute favorite, though still to this day I don't get a lot of references and jokes (not my first language), but I am getting there.

I have such envy for your collection.
My most impressive collection item is this statuette, otherwise I've only got the Anniversary Edition book and the cartoon DVDs.

oh shit. I love you

putting these facts together in my head makes my brain all tingly

I think you can still see some episodes on Pluto Thev they seem to show a few older cartoons.

>Pluto

I'm surprised they get a signal out there.

I don't think Sam is gay for Max or gay in general. Doesn't he hit on human women now and again? That would make him straight or bi, and he's not the type to be in the closet.

looks like a cartoon eugene levy

I believe Purcell said their sexuality is whatever happens to be funniest at the time (which is the best possible answer, honestly).

why does everyone seem to fucking forget the cartoon was made for kids? they HAD to tone shit down somehow. im surprised we got it at all, i was amazed when it aired since that was a fav game of mine.

>rule 63 max is not just sam but instead some kind of Splice abomination
2/10

You can breathe on the moon but
>those candy-butt astronauts didn't have the stones to try it.

Rule 63 Max should look the exact same.
Sound different, sure, but why add anything to Max

What does that sentence even mean

DEATH FROM ABOVE, DEATH FROM ABOVE

>Rule 63 Max should look the exact same
Literally this
Also pic related

tfw max exists in the now dead star wars extended universe

Me too, but that doesn't mean it's worth a watch.

Whoa, whoa, it wasn't that bad. The first few episodes were awkward but it did get much better.

Maybe it's because I grew up with Monkey Island mroe than Hit the Road, but I always felt Max's HTR voice to be the weakest. I prefer the cartoon's and TT's because they capture his crazy attitude way better.

I do agree on Sam's cartoon voice being the best tho. It's so damn lovable.

>the very first episode is a parody of "The Thing"
It's worth a watch.

anyone have a link to the comics? they're expensive as fuck

mega.nz/#!JMhGmQAC!-Vjv3Fv_AKcDI2YtHRtmyT7BhsdBLdfm5OZekm-fQ3U

thank you!

>I prefer the cartoon's and TT's because they capture his crazy attitude way better.

I like HtR Max because he sounds more thuggish than crazy. I still like the crazier voices though.

>when he calls on the phone and it does the "FRIEND FOR LIFE" over the phone

I love it.

He didn't go falsetto as often as he did on Red Green. That probably would have helped.

geek r34 where

Fap to Lydia Deetz and pretend she's red-headed.

Lydia is way better anyways.