How can I fill the void left by Blade Runner 2049...

How can I fill the void left by Blade Runner 2049? Will we ever see a film able to surpass it or is it the peak of cinema?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UuXGDFw8qDQ
youtube.com/watch?v=p3F5S-GQKkI
youtu.be/zYifReJJn4M
youtube.com/watch?v=ne6p6MfLBxc
letterboxd.com/sonofjorel/film/blade-runner-2049/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I have been craving good sci fi because of this movie but they are hard to find.
I have seen all the generally known ones.

any flick movie can fill the void of a kino movie

by listening to the soundtrack

>Will we ever see a film able to surpass it or is it the peak of cinema?

In 2 months.

youtube.com/watch?v=UuXGDFw8qDQ

Watch the original Blade Runner again. The only known cure.

Save for a few tracks the soundtrack wasn't that good, especially on its own. It's fitsthemoviecore, nothing special. Shouldn't have picked Hans Zimmer, a better score would have enchanced the movie even further

Wow I would not watch that if t didnt have daniel day lewis. Ehat a vague trailer.

by watching it again, and this time appreciating Luv

There was a limited edition made of 2049 copies only. Anyone knows where I can find it?

why was the door rusty? Was it to show us that she was super strong and move that steel door without effort?

>$150 million+ art piece
>did not dumb down the movie to spoon feed mainstream audiences
>did not shorten the length of the movie
>bombed

This is the very last of our lifetime we will ever see something like this ever again. Support it before leaves theaters forever.

That's all I can think of, yeah

I bet some people will take this bait.

It's brilliant, but there is great cinema all over the world.

would've been a better movie if it had been shortened by removing the continuation of the original's plot. was complete in the first movie. could've been K and the girls, little bit of Wallace, detective story with philosophical underpinnings, perfect followup.

OP is probably bait but I'll bite. There are literally hundreds of better movies out there. To anyone who actually feels that way, glad you've had this experience! I liked the film too. Now go watch all the stuff you've been missing out on. Keep the high going.

I want to see this but the fanbase is really putting me off.

>it is a Daniel Day Lewis carries an average flick episode

No thanks, I'll pirate it if I don't have anything else to watch.

It's your loss, the movie bombed anyways already

Are you unironically saying fanbase

Producers think Han Solo brings normies to the theater, the script had to have him in the movie.
The result is the guy doesn't even make any effort, he doesn't have to. probably got more money than the entire cast combined.

I'm See it, it's the best sci fi in a long while and one of the better movies all around. Don't be put off by the fans, they're larval patricians spurred to start building their chrysalises, that's the way of the world. Only thing that triggers me is when they say it's better than the original, and I'm pretty desensitized even to that by now

I unironically think it's better than the original.

It's a good movie. There are other good movies out there too.

You wanna go maximum cinema, go to the CriterionCollection youtube channel to see what directors recommend to other directors and think of as their favourites.

because i'm a gigantic pleb Blade Runner is one of the few times I've just REALLY appreciated the beauty of a scene framing, but I felt similar watching movies like Hero

See? Barely even blinked

>tfw they cancelled the last imax screening I was going to see
I was so pumped for it now I'm miserable.

damn if this sub likes it then this has to be the most well recieved reboot ever

Sorry about that, have a bunch of Luv greentexts if that's your thing

>OP is probably bait but I'll bite. There are literally hundreds of better movies out there.

OP is indeed bait but in art there isn't really "better". Blade Runner just perfectly fits my taste like no other movie. I can enjoy other movies too but no other movie makes me as euphoric.

I wasn't baiting.
t. OP

I fucking love the snow hnnnngg so fucking comfy

Snow and titties are the only thing it has on the original, imo. And yes, there is "better" in art, subjectivity means certain qualities/themes in art have more of an impact on you, it doesn't negate objective quality. For example, I absolutely love '69-'74 Peckinpah movies and can watch any of them at any time and greatly enjoy it--but I still recognize that only three are legitimately great works of art (Wild Bunch, Straw Dogs, and Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia.) The others have their shortcomings, as does BR2049, I can identify them and still greatly enjoy the movie. I only really dig Picasso's early stuff on a deep level in my current state of mind and life stage, that doesn't mean I don't recognize the superlative quality of his later work. It's a sort of dissociation from the instinctive aspects of your personality, idk, I think there's something to that Freudian stuff

C-C-C-C-C-COMBO

Run These Three Films To Tide You Over Until Home Release

youtube.com/watch?v=p3F5S-GQKkI

youtu.be/zYifReJJn4M

youtube.com/watch?v=ne6p6MfLBxc

To clarify.

Angel Heart: Plot, character arc and even the villain are bizarrely close to Blade Runner 2049 - to the point where it must be deliberate.

Millers Crossing: Noir flic with a cold, unemotional lead who actually has mountains of feels bubbling underneath and is fucking screwed by the world when he tries to finally be a good person.

Her: Obvious

you cannot be serious, this film is horrible

*shows a flashback in your path*

It dumbed things down in the worst way possible though at a key moment, all major films do now and I FUCKING HATE IT

>giant JOI scene with K
>After she moves along K stares ahead, obviously experiencing some intense emotions
>the moment hasn't even passed and you start getting flashbacks to earlier scenes at the farm/replicant army to remind the audience why K is about to make the decision he does

It's fucking earful film making, the audience should get to imagine/realize for themselves what's going through the characters minds at that moment based on the choices they've already made, not spoonfeed us the answer. It ruins the moment and means the scene won't carry the same weight years from now.

I'll give you an example how this is shit compared to past epic films. You know the movie Heat near the end when Neil is driving to the airport with the girl? He's home free at that point, a plane ride away from a happy retirement in a far away country. Driving along in silence he suddenly swerves off course to go kill Wayngro, sacrificing his future because of his duty. He doesn't say where he's going or why, we just know, it's left unsaid.

Now, if they made that movie today you'd get to the same scene with them driving to the airport, then you'd get a 5 minute flashback to an earlier time with Neil and the boys all laughing and having a good time and hanging out like family. Then you'd get a flashback of Neil promising his crew that if anyone ever killed one of them or fucked them over he'd get revenge on their behalf.

Then after that sequence spelling out exactly why the character is about to act the way he does, he'd swerve off to get Waynegro.

It's lazy and pathetic filmaking designed to compensate for retards. What happened to drawing your own conclusions? Jesus H

deniro's performance is such an odd mix of corny and sinister, it seems like it shouldn't work anywhere near as well as it does

>original Blade Runner scene where Deckard is callously describing Rachel's most personal and secret memories to her, destroying her entire world basically
>camera shows the actors' faces and emotions because that's what the story is about, not the actual events
It's the subtle ways the new one is compromised by modern filmmaking convention that make it inferior to the original. Good post

I would've enjoyed a Trent Reznor score.

Hans did good though. The finance score and the BRRRRRRZZZZ when Luv begins flying away with Deckard are both masterful.

Exactly, and if you really need to remind the audience of an earlier scene, there are more subtle ways to do it instead of ruining the moment.

You introduce a trigger, some sort of keyword instead of rehashing a past scene

I haven't thought too much about it, but this would have been a better way to do it.

>JOI scene
>Naked giantess flirts with K
>K's autism and tfwnogf emotions hit max levels
>the JOI ad ends with a voice from the ad saying "experience the miracle"
>This triggers K's autism to supposedly unreachable levels while he stares ahead silently

There, you reference the past scenes while tying them to the current one, K realises he's been chasing a false reality all along and goes off to save a real miracle

Took me 2 minutes to come up with, did I do a better job than those hacks?

That and she says no one's been down there in a really long time. She could've just stated it bluntly, but the door being old and jammed was a way of presenting that in a more interesting way, as well as giving her a specific reason to mention it.

I agree and it's such a fucking bummer. I hope to see more films as uncompromising as this be made but that doesn't seem to be the case in box office future. thanks netflix(?)

You need not worry OP.

I'm sure that Hollywood took notice of the amount of subhumans here that have never seen a vagina, and are going to proceed to make a bunch of movies with a virtual waifu.

I've seen kino you people wouldn't believe.

The Killing of a Sacred Deer seems pretty good

Okay so where is your critique of the original Blade Runner for using voice over flashbacks repeatedly?

>"All these kinos will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to flop."

Which film?

Yeah some kind of motif like that would've worked fine.

The more fundamental issue imo, and the primary concession they made to convention, was the need to bring back Deckard at all, and the necessary contrivance in the backstory and plot to justify his role. Like I said here

I'm not talking about the original, am I. I was talking about the ABSOLUTE STATE of cinema in the year 2017. Regardless of any past flaws, you can't argue things are worse than ever. That was my point. Now fuckoff and don't talk to me unless you're addressing something relevant.

Stop with this meme. At least 3 or 4 movies from this year surpass this patchwork of a film.

Geo-Kino with Gerard Butler id just around the corner

People constantly pretend "waaah muh 80s, muh 90s muh classic Hollywood", the year 2007 alone has better films than half of the 90s
>No Country for Old Men (2007)
>There Will Be Blood (2007)
>The Assassination of Jesse James (2007)
>Zodiac (2007)
>Eastern Promises (2007)
>Before The Devil Knows You're Dead (2007)

And today's capeshit is the same thing as the massively produced westerns or zombie flicks in the 80s, at a certain point even the most casual viewers will become fed up with it and something else will replace it.
This year we had Raw, A Ghost Story, Dunkirk, Good Time, BR2049 and Shape of Water, Phantom Thread and TKOASD just incoming. Stop being an ignorant nostalgiafag.

That's a fucking stupid idea, having Joi say that would imply that there was some relation between Joi and Sapper that the audience doesn't know about and would be fucking confusing

Bahahaha you are so butt blasted.
>2049 is inferior to the original BR because 2049 used voice overs!
>>But original BR used voice overs too
>D-DON'T REPLY TO ME!
I'm laughing at you right now.

You forgot Transformers.

Can't you fucking read, I said a voice from the ad says the miracle line, not JOI herself says that. If it was JOIs line I would have literally said "JOIs line"

A narraters voiceover, like at the end of real ads "product x brought to you by so and so" it's common thing in today's television.

does EVERYTHING need spelled out for you stupid cunts? Jesus Christ, no wonder they're dumbing down movies.

that is in your opinion. in my opinion (i'm not OP btw) there hasn't been a better movie released before.

Idgaf what you're doing, it's cute that you think I'd give a fuck. You missed the point entirely, non of my posts were ever about the original blade runner (all 200 versions) and if you were able to read you'd see that. You can't show me one thing I said that references the original because the original is irrelevant here

jesus christ what a fucking retard, stop shitting up good threads

How could this movie not have been a box office success?

Blade Runner is iconic and the trailer looked good.

Because it's an almost 3 hour long R rated visually focused slow burning neo-noir sci fi film that deals with the human condition, not a degenerate normie rollercoaster ride with pop music that usually get's the most money. It's an anomaly in the todays Hollywood industry
Also Sony is retarded when it comes to marketing.

>her
Maybe because I saw it on an airplane but I didn't care for it. Imagine seeing BR that way.

Issa masterpiece.

Blade Runner is an EPIC!

Ladies & Gents, this is why science fiction is my favorite genre of film.

Better than the original. Don't @ me.

Denis Villeneuve is by far one of the best working directors today.

Deakins can't get robbed again, can he?

Not only a sequel to Blade Runner, but also a sequel to Lars and the Real Girl

what type of spacing is that?

Good post user.

Did he copy/paste or write in that style himself? My favorite touch was "by far one of," that phrase always triggers me

I believe DUNE is next

>Budget $150–185 million[5][6][7][8]
>Box office $194.1 million[8]

Does this mean BR2049 so far has made, (worst case) 9 million? Will we get a sequel? Do we WANT a sequel?

no we don't at least for a couple decades

Miller's crossing is great

Watch Mindhunter.

I hit a bit of a roadblock myself after BR2049.
And BR2049 itself came along just after Twin Peaks 3 had kind of fucked everything over as well.

Mindhunter isn't at that level, but it's a good hangover/depression cure. Ep 2 is where it picks up.

damn, that cover is fucking sick

Aren't marketing budgets around the same as the movie budget nowadays ?

its a sequel

Would've pushing the original BR on TV, Netflix and Amazon Prime help the movie's succes ?

The original BR was on TV here a few days before I went and saw it, but it was the stupid as fuck theatrical release. If that was my only experience with BR I would have had second thoughts on seeing the sequel

>BR2049 made less $ than Pixels

>will have to wait months before being able to watch it freely at home
WAKE ME UP

letterboxd.com/sonofjorel/film/blade-runner-2049/

By any chance are you from reddit ?

Probably, hopefully not, NO.

May as well make this the official /Luv/ thread.

Supposedly budgets don't include marketing, and again supposedly marketing budget is usually around the same quantity as production budget. So a $150-185M film actually costed $300-370M.

Then there's the fact that Hollywood accountants inflate the budget numbers as much as possible so they can avoid paying taxes for all of their profits.

In other words: we don't know how much it really costed, or if it made any profits.

I've seen lots of Sup Forums approved directors like Tarokovsky, Fellini, Bergman, Oshii, Kitano, Godard, Melville, etc, and I still think 2049 is one of the best films I've seen.

It is literally a 150k arthouse film.

nah
but you def are

Leave 2deep4ukinos to the Greeks

it doesn work for BR2049. WB sold right for Japan to Sony or something like this for like 90 mln. So all the numbers are bullshit

>social media
Not even once

Why does everything turn into cancer the instant you give someone an identity, pseudonymous or not

an arthouse film wouldnt bother with a cliché muh kids / muh slave revolt story imo, but whatever..

I've been reading sci fi lit every since to fill the void

>would've been a better movie if it had been shortened by removing the continuation of the original's plot
>could've been K and the girls, little bit of Wallace, detective story with philosophical underpinnings, perfect followup
That is why the first half of the movie was great.

stop memeing faggot kys

>probably got more money than the entire cast combined
holy shit

OP is a shill. This movie was trash.

>Better than the original. Don't @ me.
plebbit

It was not a masterpiece, but it definitely was above most of its genre.

>BR2049 so far has made, (worst case) 9 million

you mean negative 90 million, when you factor in marketing and distribution