Aren't horror movies supposed to be scary??

Aren't horror movies supposed to be scary??

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/tv/search/image/YMI7_bjrDHuJvOFTpVkJuQ/
youtube.com/watch?v=3IP46c85xnM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Aren't you tired of posting the same shit over and over again?
Horror is about uneasiness, not your meme jumpscares.

the babadook

Nice meme and wrong opinion. Do you even know what horror means?

Are you gonna quote fucking Google again you insufferable child?

It's a movie about the complete breakdown of an isolated family, not "boo spooky witch!"

>le where are my jump scares

Look up any dictionary
Strawman

>Strawman
Shit thread bro. It's not the first time you offer any valid criticism. I think that' because you are 14 years old and generally suck at life desu senpai.

Also
> a film in which very frightening or unnatural things happen, for example dead people coming to life and people being murdered
>or unnatural things happen
QED you suck

>dictionary
I'll take the word of John Carpenter, Clive Barker and Alfred Hitchcock on what horror is over some shitty dictionary and your hot opinions.
Horror films are about uneasiness, not jumpscares.

SAVAGE

this. every time the perspective changes you see how they all perceive the other members of the family. complete paranoia and nowhere to run. reminds me of those eerie dreams where you can't run away even when you want to. horror elements aside it's just a fantastically crafted film

>it's an OP doesn't know the difference between genre and mode thread

Yeah fuck dictionaries

The decline of the horror movie is due in large part to our overly rigid definitions of what a horror movie is. A good horror movie is first and foremost a good film, and alienating it from that as if the genre is a very specific, distinct thing, is cancerous to horror films and to film in general.

If you still find 16th century folktales scary in this day and age, you have a mental problem. The witch is a boring drama set in a boring supernatural setting.

This is one of these few exceptions where boring is a valid complaint

"Boring" is not a valid argument, it only says what your mood was while watching the film.
Same as saying "it was fun", that does not indicate anything about the actual quality of the film whatsoever.

yes they are

but you posted fapbait

Damn that's one autistic post full of protection

Go on watch your Conjuringverse franchise then. I bet it's your definitive horrorcore

Daily reminder that OP is an actual mentally challenged spamming turboautist who keeps making the same exact thread with a bunch of meaningless overly general "it's boring xD" posts
archive.4plebs.org/tv/search/image/YMI7_bjrDHuJvOFTpVkJuQ/

'in this day and age'
'you have a mental problem'
'boring'
'set in a setting'
>arguing with an obvious brainlet

what is a vitch supposed to be?

>caring this much

Do you feel right or smart when you call people brainlets without providing any argument?

>without providing any argument
look here

Shit bait aside, unless you are a child, no movie is scary... They can be unsettling at most, which the vvitch achieves remarkably well.

Not if you're over 17.

The movie makes you bored, it also fails in a basic level by not being scary

It's a character drama/period piece with a nice spooky atmosphere in the background, which is the best kind of horror film. If you made it so The Witch herself did not actually exist at all the film would still be great, but the fantastic depiction of occultism and folklore heightens the movie even further.

Most people find films by Tarkovsky "boring", probably because they are a bit slower than todays films. Are they bad films then?
Most people find flicks by Marvel "fun", probably because it's non stop braindead quips and mindless CGI action. Are they good films then?

>it also fails in a basic level by not being scary
"Scary" is an extremely subjective term, someone is terrified while watching The Shining while others straight up laugh when they see Nicholson's performance. Also just because it has a "horror" tag on it's name doesn't mean that it needs to fulfill any of your preconcieved expectations of what it should be for it to be a good film.

Name ONE scary horror movie. I'll wait...

Your post is full of redundancies and trite language. We know what time period we're in, yet you say 'still', and then you also say 'in this day and age', which is itself a garbage cliche. You give the most asinine criticism possible that it's 'boring' and then the setting is also 'boring'. You say it's a 'drama set in a boring supernatural setting' instead of 'drama in a boring supernatural setting' or 'drama set in a boring supernatural world'. 'You have a mental problem' is another trite phrase used. There are so many brainlet indicators condensed into such a short post.

Alot of them when I was a child.
Keyword: child
I mean jesus christ dude, Pinocchio was scary.

oh, it's one of those threads. original.

The Hunt

Cabin in the Woods doesn't belong with that garbage. It's a self-aware Scream type satire. I truly enjoyed it.

Do you really browse Sup Forums expecting originality, Lmao idiot

the entity

now fuck off

Don't be retarded. 24fps movies can never be scary. The jerky motion is always reminding you that it's not real.

Horror isn't scary when you're a pussy who's too afraid to let your guard down. It's like how it's impossible to be hypnotised unless you submit to it. People laugh during scary movies as a defence mechanism.

It's been a few years now and we still don't know who the actress with the fat ass was

Truly the shittiest movies are le self aware

That's not "scary", I'm pretty sure you were not scared anytime while watching the film.
Utterly wrecked, fueled by rage, empty of emotions, depressing, any of that yeah, but certainly not "scared"

>He watches horror films to be spooked senseless instead of enjoying atmospheric kino with a unique setting and some unsettling imagery and mood setting set pieces
Tell me more of what it's like to be a pleb op.

An Inconvenient Truth

it's deep because it's boring

>We
She's Anya Taylor-Joy you google deprived luddite.

While I tend to agree, B- level horrors are the only B- level type movies that are enjoyable to watch, especially with some friends. So self-aware or not, it's neither pretentious or jump scary but rather entertaining, that's all.

Bullshit.

Father just wants to get shit going because he cares equally for his family and for his god. He's not afraid of much of anything, he's just sick and tired of bullshit.

Mother is increasingly hysterical because she keeps losing children.

The two small kids are just there.

Daughter is just sort of there, working and occasionally being blamed for shit.

STOP imagining shit happens in this movie. It doesn't.

Horror INCLUDES uneasiness. It is not SOLELY defined by it. Witch was the biggest blue balls horror film I have ever seen. In fact, I feel like it would have made for a great first couple episodes of a tv series.

If I had to guess, OP is bored and goes after Sup Forums sacred cows because it's an easy win. Everybody is so eager to defend this pretentious garbage so why should he stop posting?

Why does everyone forget about the son who gets possessed? I've seen multiple people forget him when describing this film.

Blade runner, 2001, only God forgives etc. Are some of the favorite movies and this is too boring for me

Nothing you said contradicted anything from that pots. Yes the mother is increasingly hysterical because she keeps losing children, that's literally increasing paranoia. You just listed out overly general plot points of what hapens only to say that "nothing happens".
Also nice reddit spacing you dumb brainlet

>No jump scares
>Forgetting the GOAT (pun intended) natural jump scare that effected the plot and wasn't just a big scary monster face jumping out at the audience.

Because everyone will rather forget that cliche scene exists. That whole sequence was just award bait. Look at the kid act!

What was the point of twins being possessed? They just sort of fall asleep and that's about it. Then the goat eats them - amazing. Really deep shit.

THAT IS EXACTLY WHY PEOPLE HATE IT! No one goes to a horror movie expecting family drama to be the whole movie. Imagine if IT was only about the challenges of growing up as awkward adolescents, and nothing about a scary clown that manifests nightmares was included.

I'm not saying the scene wasn't cliche, I was just bringing up the fact that I've seen lots of people completely forget that he was in the film.
He was in the true kino scene where he's taking a cheeky peaky at his sister's developing titties.

Yes that's the point of horror movie, to get scared. Comedies should make you laugh, it's common sense

>He thought IT was scary
You have to be over 18 to post here.

I'm telling you there's no changes in how they perceive each other. What-so-fucking ever. They just occasionally lash out at the daughter because they're dumb peasants.

Nothing interesting happens. Plot goes nowhere. It's just witches toying with an unfortunate family of simpletons. Nothing more to it.

This fills me with more medieval dread than this big, meticulously crafted movie about nothing at all:

youtube.com/watch?v=3IP46c85xnM

And it's just a song.

>have sexual thoughts about her during the film
>suppress them because i think she's like 13
>afterwards find out she was 19
What's the take home message here?

>"who cares about storytelling and the actual experience, if a scene isn't an epic deeeep mind twist then why is it even there?!?!"
The mind of a brainlet.

>All movies have to stick rigidly to a genre's tropes and not tell its own story

contagion is scary as fuck is scary as fuck if you arent a moron but its not exactly a horror movie

>if you arent a moron
>arent

People like you are the reason why horror as a genre has come to such shit that it is considered as a separate thing from film by the general audience.

Like when you go to see a horror, the majority of the audience judges the movies completely different from than an action/thriller/drama with hard preconcieved expectations of what it should be. It's like all the movie elements dissapear and the only measurement of quality of the movie is how many times you got "spooked". It's almost like a rollercoaster ride, not a movie for them.
Same thing happens with every movie that get's the "horror" tag but isn't the usual jumpscare fest. The studio had to market The Witch as a "scare" horror movie so more people would see it, and when they actually watch it they don't care about the family relations, character development and the general sense of suspense and tension etc, they just want to get some loud noises after a few seconds of silence every now and then and go home happy "hehe that was spooky"

It's quite sad really.

>shit happening randomly is storytelling
The mind of a brainlet.

Silly user, horror is about sticking to conventions and knowing exactly what's about to happen, that way you know exactly when to jump at the spooky ghost!

>literally outing yourself as a first class supreme pleb
also ease up on the caps lock autism, it only makes your opinion seem even more dumb and childish

You're completely missing his point. It isn't that nothing LITERALLY happens, it's that nothing happens of any lasting consequence. When something of significance occurs, it should lead to something else significant, such as a climax or a resolution. NONE OF THAT HAPPENED! Things "happen", creating the illusion of progression, only for NOTHING to eventually conclude.

>movie marketed as horror
>it's really just a family drama with supernatural phenomena
It's all the studio's fault.

It should have been marketed as a thriller.

LOL You're literally proving my point! Without pennywise, no one would even consider it a horror film, let alone scary, so why then should I consider Witch to be one?

Yes a comedy shouldn't be funny, that's muh tropes

What is "happening randomly"? Tell me which part you didn't understand, it's not like this is some surreal Lynch/Jodorowsky film that you can't follow or anything like that

Same with It Comes At Night.

No its about being macabre atmospheric gore or titties. If you can do these and have be creepy like the exorcist or tcm that's great. But it's never been about how much it jump scares yoy

This is something indicative of young people. After decades of having watched films, the trope of sibling sexual awakening is no longer "kino".

Yes horror movies are supposed to scare you, specially if you are marketing it as that.

Please EASE UP on the CAPS LOCK because it only SHOWS how much of a BRAINLESS mentally challenged UNDERAGE tourist crossposting NEWFAG you are

also disgusting jew propaganda

They are if you are 16 years old but after that they stop being scary.
That's why cheap jumpscares are the norm you get spooked by sudden changes but not really scared.

Also the Wailing.

ease up on being a fucking retard. Nobody cares about his caps, sit the fuck down you tryhard retard.

>Without pennywise, no one would even consider it a horror film
Nice observation genius.
>Without the war, no one would even consider saving private ryan a war movie

This this! Horror is supposed to not be scary and be about muh family and whatever bullshit the film student tier director wants it to be about. Make it as boring as possible so pseuds can circlejerk about how they can they stomach it. Remember it cant be good without being boring!

YES! Movies must stick to their genre, otherwise they risk alienating their audience, hence Witch. How do you think I felt watching The Bridge to Terabithia after having seen only the trailer for it and having never read the book? That's what it means to know your genre.

>Apples and Oranges
You're hampering the evolution of film as a medium by not letting films experiment.

What do you find to be scary?

Twins being possessed for no real reason, only to get killed by the goat.

I recommend not replying to me, I don't communicate with mental midgets. You probably think you're clever, but I can annihilate anything your tiny brain can muster in defense of this movie.

>It isn't that nothing LITERALLY happens, it's that nothing happens of any lasting consequence
How? At the "peekaboo" scene their son dissapears and a fuckton of consequences happen between all of them just because of that.
You say there is "no lasting consequence" while literally almost everyone dies in the film because of things they did.

Your brain is so brainwashed that you can't comprehend that characters don't have to be clearcut "good evil" in a film so you're utterly confused by not being able to say "yay the good guys won"

Really, I'm unaware of any movie where nothing happens that doesn't have it's share of pseuds fellating it as high art.

>Aren't horror movies supposed to be scary??
Not really.

>A director is unable to make the film he wants to make because the popcorn munching dullards are unable to see beyond the established formula of a genre
I'd also say that it was the studio who put the horror stamp onto the film.

You only have a problem with the marketing, not the film.
Blade Runner 2049 is marketed as an action packed futuristic action movie, but it's an almost 3 hours long slow burning visually focused neo-noir sci fi film that deals with the human condition. Is it a bad film then?

Horror as a genre was always artistically and creatively bankrupt. It's so difficult to create something authentically scary or unsettling without falling back to old cliches. Predator or Alien have more suspense than majority of major horror flicks which is a serious problem. Jumpscares aren't scary btw, they're simply agitating.

>You say there is "no lasting consequence" while literally almost everyone dies in the film because of things they did.

they die because witches kill them. Stop imagining shit.