This film is a horror classic. Prove me wrong

This film is a horror classic. Prove me wrong.

>amazing score
>incredible set design
>atmosphere and tone is perfect
>great cinematography
>equally campy and gory
>Depp and Walken give some of their best hammy performances

Why don't they make films like this anymore?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ShQp2Qp6o7s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Shame it flopped, it really is fantastic.

>Not scary
>Not even mildly unnerving

Agree. It was perfect for Burton to adapt. Depp hadn't yet become a self-parody, and Walken was cuhraazy.

I was really surprised seeing it the first time last year. I thought it was in the "Burton/Depp lost their touch/went mad" pile.

Maybe you're a desensitized jew prick?

>great cinematography
Did we watch the same film? Looks like a fucking TV show. The great sets weren't made justice with the boring camerawork.

People didn't realize it was basically Tim Burton making a Hammer film until fairly recently, with people like James Rolfe bringing the Hammer Films back to public consciousness with his Monster Madness reviews. And so at the time, they just thought it was weird and too campy, and it got no appreciation.

Also maybe it's just me, but I don't remember any advertisement for this movie.

>horror movies have to be chainsaws and gore and jumpscares to be horror movies

this is honestly why I resent the slasher genre. It really ruined horror movies.

It is a film I do not tire of watching.

Will rewatch this Halloween.

Most slashers and the things you listed are crap. Is it too much to ask for a scary horror film?

>he thinks horror movies have to be SCAAAAARY

>Why don't they make films like this anymore?
Because Hollywood is not in the business of making good or interesting movies anymore.

Horror has become consumed by slashers and gorefests, because that is what is expected, (like CGI in blockbusters) and because anything else takes effort, but having a monster disembowel somebody is easy.

I was gonna make a point about Woman In Black being an example of this, since it had no gore and was a more traditional gothic horror, (with a few jumpscares) but looking it up, it actually did pretty good. Opened second at the US Box office. Guess that's the power of Harry Potter. So people WOULD see a movie like this if it had good casting and was made decently enough.

Honestly I think we are overdue for a resurrection of camp in movies. Not "quirky comedy" like marvel movies try to do, but actual campiness.

I remember seeing this as a kid and thinking it was one of the coolest things ever.
I can't believe I forgot about it.

well that depends, what do you classify as a scary horror movie? because most people would say "Saw is totally scary!" and associate disgust and shock with "scary"

Cinematography is more than camera work, my friend. Everything in sleepy hollow looks amazing

This scene was shot pretty well

youtu.be/ShQp2Qp6o7s

>Because Hollywood is not in the business of making good or interesting movies anymore.

Main problem is that movies made in Hollywood are sold across the world. Hollywood now has to make movies be more about the visuals than the dialogue and everything has to be understandable for the lowest common denominator across the globe. It's why all the Pixar movies now have alternate scenes for even the most basic shit like in Inside Out where they had the kid eating her vegetables. They changed what vegetable was used for different countries depending on what their idea of "punishment food" was (bell peppers, brussel sprouts, and so on).

Also the days of the auteur are likely over. An uncompromising artist making challenging films that may not appeal to everyone is a rarity these days.

I know giving people like Michael Cimino or Francis Ford Coppola full creative power almost bankrupted the studio system back in the 70s-80s but id take batshit directors making pieces of art any day over what we got now.

Cinema will continue to degrade as an art form and more into a commercial product to a point of no return. It kills me to say it, but I think there is more freedom in independent video game development right now than there is film as a medium

gothic horror. pretty often they aren't scary for todays standards, have lot of romance and fantasy

It was also when both Depp and Ricci were at peak hotness.

>Implying Ricci was ever hot
She's always been a fucking pumpkin head.

She was hot in this.

She was hottest in the Ice Storm

Also I'm not trying to say Sleepy Hollow is a masterclass work of art but it's made by people who consider themselves artists, it had a unique tone, there was a lot of lovingly crafted sets and practical effects, it was rough around the edges and violent as fuck. In other words it feels like something real made by real people.

If this film was made today, Ichabod Crane would be a fearless black woman, everything would be CGI and it would be PG13

we know what you meant.

I agree with you.

i was watching Mel Brooks Dracula parody and Robin hood parody a few days ago, and same thing, even for just a parody, you could feel the effort that was put into it, with the sets and the writing, and everything.

But even the good moviemakers are shit these days.

When was the last time Spielberg made something fun? Something that wasnt just a producer role or phoning it in for award bait?

hell, he hasn't written for a movie since 2001.

or James Cameron? He hasn't made anything worthwhile since Titanic. Avatar was a huge return to greatness for him (despite it being sort of shit) and since then he hasnt done anything good either and all he has lined up, aside from an anime adaptation, is 2 Avatar Sequels.

Fun fact: the movie was rated 12 in Germany.
I was expecting a tame movie, after 5 minutes i was like WTF? When the movie went on with the head chopping and even the kid had to bite the dust i couldn't contain my grinning any longer.

One of the most violent movies with an 12 rating i saw in cinema. The other one was "the 13th Warrior". Didn't expect the amount of violence.

I'll always feel bad for making my mom sit through Pokemon The Movie while my dad and sister saw Sleepy Hollow.

I feel the same except I made my mom sit through Deep Blue Sea while my family saw The Sixth Sense

The best Burton movie, and the movie after he lost it.
Planet of the Apes and Big Fish were shit.

Deep Blue Sea is good though.

Sixth Sense was good, but sort of overrated and really only works for a first time viewing.

the last movie before he lost it*

DBS was dumb as hell but those practical effect sharks were awesome. I can't remember but I think I was too scared to see the sixth sense

But Big Fish and Corpse Bride were good tho. Rest is shit

Big Fish is shit, it has no redeeming quality and bad CGI.

We still get directors doing whatever the fuck they want occasionally like with some of Tim Burton's works and much of Cameron's.

But it doesn't seem to be financially feasible for studios to do that now as they realized they can do like Marvel Studios and hire cheap directors to do by the numbers stories based on already successful source material.

And I gotta agree with you on video games, because I find myself enjoying the hell out of even the stories in video games moreso than I do movies.

>or James Cameron? He hasn't made anything worthwhile since Titanic. Avatar was a huge return to greatness for him (despite it being sort of shit) and since then he hasnt done anything good either and all he has lined up, aside from an anime adaptation, is 2 Avatar Sequels.

Cameron's problem is he's more into the technical aspect of filming now and he has enough money that he doesn't have to do anything for work.