What are some really bad spaceship designs?

What are some really bad spaceship designs?

Pic related.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sACIDpajovU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

it really is an absolute cluster fuck aesthetically. what else is repugnant about this ship is how impractically small it is to be home to like 9 fully grown adults in space for weeks at a time.

>Hammerhead Corvette

The whole point of ship was looking like horse or cow.

>horse
>cow

Show is literally called Firefly...
It's a fucking firefly you mong

They just look awful.

>Nu-Destroyers
>command carriers from farscape(the mini ships looked good tho)

toilet seats.jpg

Star Trek ships. And they still keep using it since like 50 years

This actually looks reasonable. The ones that look like fucking airplanes or jets while never intended to enter any atmosphere just look retarded.

yeah, the old enterprises tend to be fugly but pretty much every starfleet ship after the Enterprise D has beautiful aesthetics.

it's like they saw the copy paste freud thing and thought it was a cool idea.

This was designed by NJoy and is used for space travel and massaging galactic prostates.

Not nearly as comfy as Galaxy class desu

Almost everything from Star Trek
>let's create this spaceship with as much surface area as possible!
>let's also make the engines super fucking vulnerable and connected by a small section of the ship to the rest of the ship!

How big do you think it should be? Genuinely curious

But then you remember that star destroyers have been shown to enter the atmosphere which is even more retarded.

COMPUTER DELET THIS
too bad this one and the Runabouts are the only designs that make sense in all of Star Trek

At least three times bigger than this.

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH
Is this from Nemesis?

I liked them but they do look exactly like the jock strap ship from Space Quest 6.

The energy level of the weapons in Trek is so high that you blow up in one shot most of the time if you don't have shields or something equivalent. So ship configuration is kinda irrelevant.

Plus they aren't supposed to be warships. They are, but the virulent Federation scum needs to lie to themselves.

You know IRL ships of the line would cram a couple hundred sailors into something the size of a... boat, right? And modern submarines are still fucking cramped? I'm just saying people don't actually need all that much space.

Of fucking course it is.
Not that the design of the romulan ships in JJTrek was that much better.

>watch it, humans

That has nothing do with the needs of the people staffing the ships. It has to do with the capabilities of the ship itself.
In space you can build as big as you want almost. There's no noteworthy friction to consider and the visual profile of a spaceship will be miniscule against the vastness of space if we're assuming a society capable of interstellar/interplanetary travel.

But the ship goes in atmosphere so needs to be aerodynamic and structurally stable under gravity.

lol

It was supposed to be a piece of shit

>tfw nobody got me joke

A reference isn't the same as a joke. You need to take a break from reddit.

Sup Forums here

Only a handful of movies have even gotten close to how well designed vidya spaceships get

criminally underrated

I'm not sure which is worse, the fact that it spins before it mushroom-teleports, or the fact that the saucer spins despite the whole ship having artificial gravity.

Were you not from reddit yourself you would've said
>joke
>reference
get the fuck off my board

yfw you realize the ends of the horseshoe are asymmetrical so they can lock into each other to transfer supplies and crews

>"no u"
Wew. You sure turned that one around on me. Color me schooled, homeslice.

lol wtf

Think the excuse was that the naecaells put out wierd limited hard radiation field and need to be kept away from the ship. So once that actually entered the trek culture, they had to keep it.

Which means everyone on this ship is sterile.

It's kinda purty - even if it makes no sense whatsoever.

werd

I don't think the ship is made of rubber, user.

could this be bait?

I got the "joke", but it wasn't relevant and wasn't funny

I think it's just the top and bottom plating that spins, not the whole saucer.
Also it obviously has nothing to do with gravity, what the fuck are you talking about.

Apart from the stupid spinning bullshit I really like the design of the Discovery.
But all the other ships on STD are greebly videogame abortions. Those klingon fighter things looked like something directly out of Bablylon 5.

How would any of these ships get rid of their heat?

How would any of the smaller ships even enter an atmosphere without breaking apart, since they all have weird pockets in their front profile?

That's a cool idea and I was prepared to have a face but I don't see it. Nothing looks like it is meant to interlock.

That ship should look a bit like a junked runner, kinda a theme thing there.

>Also it obviously has nothing to do with gravity
Exactly, why is it spinning then?
The excuse for spinny-things in spaceship designs is that the rotation creates gravity inside. But Star Trek has pretty much always had artificial gravity so why is it spinning?
Another case of overdesign which seems to be the keyword for STD

>How would any of the smaller ships even enter an atmosphere without breaking apart, since they all have weird pockets in their front profile?
Presumably they are advanced enough to actually fucking slow down upon atmospheric entry, without relying on just falling in from space like contemporary shuttles do.

It only spins up when they are about to shroom jump. It has something to do with the shroom drive. Don't ask questions about shroom drive magic.

Most of them have anti-gravity, so they can enter the atmosphere at whatever speed they want. Also, magic.

Some of them can't enter the atmosphere, despite having anti-gravity and the sort of shields that can take near light speed impacts.

Some of them have pretty damned clear methods of getting rid of their heat, which is part of the reason they look weird.

So which ships are you complaining about specifically?

No need to ask, they'll probably try and answer anyway and it won't make much sense.
And that is why you don't make a sci-fi plot about the technology unless you can really go hard-sci-fi and don't have things like biological quantum physics and teleporting mushrooms with giant worms.

Lasers or the continous venting of superheated urine from the ship's septic system

No dipshit. Just because usually the explanation for ship spinny parts is gravity doesn't mean you can automatically associate all spinny things with gravity.

It spins to establish a toroidal interchange between a warp field encapsulation and the spore volume's intersection with greater sporespace, using a calculated geometry which can only be unwound back to a neutral energry state if a spacetime shunt to the intended destination occurs. Alright? Happy?

Dude, you just totally reversed the polarity of the neutron flow with that post.

When your spaceship is eerily similar to something, like a cathedral, you know you're gonna have a bad time.

>It spins to establish a toroidal interchange between a warp field encapsulation and the spore volume's intersection with greater sporespace
wow, I understood some of those words

3 million minutes in microsoft paint. Something like this

Yup...

I hope this clears things up: youtube.com/watch?v=sACIDpajovU

No I gotcha I just can't see any penises which fit into the appropriate love tunnels on the opposite side. I bet they'd have done it if they'd thought of it at the time though.

>Alright? Happy?
No, that would obviously cause a disruption in the slipstream field and revert the positron flow mid-jump resulting in tachyon destabilising the integrity of the spore field. I don't think I need to tell you how bad an unstable spore field would be. Even a fucking pakled would get that.

For some reason it reminds me of the Liberator from Blake's 7.

This is just gibberish. I kind of doubt you're a qualified drive theorist at all.

no it's just so they could make it look like a uterus

mama mia that's a big crust

Not enough greebles.

Can someone please just post that giant image with every ship on them?

"Come 'ere, mate"

There are only two qualified spore drive experts. One is a fag and the other is a dead fag.

This is something that actually happens?

>show is literally just a shitty western in space
>tumblrites and numales act like it's a masterpiece
I don't get it.

>I really like the design of the Discovery.
You mean you like slightly modified Ralph McQuarrie's concept for the Enterprise in the never made Star Trek Phase 2 from the 70's

Ah, I see you are well versed in Geiger starship design theory.

does this kill everyone

Baby Got Back.

Yeah that's literally what I meant.

The Liberator is a great spaceship.

I can't believe they'll reboot anything and everything but not Blakes 7 which is really a genuine case where the production values so undermine it, it would be genuinely worthwhile. Get James Purefoy to be Avon while he's still capable.

>40kid trying to show BADASS his children's minatures game is
wew

That's a thin crust

No, it's the future of space travel and teleports everyone safely but only if you've fed your ship enough shrooms.
No I'm not making it up.

Only the first time.

It's just the outer hull plating; the decks themselves don't move.
It did kill everybody on the sister ship though, yes.

Always thought this looked suspiciously like the Leonov from 2010: Odyssey Two...

Great example of utilitarian design.

I'll take two.

a glass ship?