Just re-watched this. Haven't seen it since I was in middle school so my only real memories of it was one or two scene...

Just re-watched this. Haven't seen it since I was in middle school so my only real memories of it was one or two scene. This was powerful as fuck. I consider myself a pretty cynical and unsympathetic human being who rarely cries at a movie. Usually if it's good enough it will make me tear up once throughout the entire film, but I cried four fucking times in 4 separate scenes. I'm talking about bawling like a little bitch. Aside from that, the acting from John Hurt and Anthony Hopkins were incredibly captivating and and simply brilliant. The cinematography was beautiful . Gorgeous set pieces. Well edited. David Lynch is brilliant and it was interesting how even though it was a little bit Lynchian, it wasn't enough to overwhelm you.

What is your general opinion of this movie and also what are some of the films that made you the most emotional?

am I the elephant man or am I the doctor?

I don't think you'll find anybody who says The Elephant Man is anything but a good to great film. Usually the popular criticism is that the direction and storytelling is too safe and straightforward by Lynch standards.

There's a reason people don't watch it much.
It's a great movie. But it's emotionally brutal.
Mel Brooks was some kind of genius to see that the young guy
who did Eraserhead would be able to handle this story so well.

>Usually the popular criticism is that the direction and storytelling is too safe and straightforward by Lynch standards.

Have never ever seen this criticism.
Nor of The Straight Story.

>I try so hard to be good

My favorite Anthony Hopkins performance. John Hurt and Anne Bancroft are amazing too

It's really not all that brutal. The entire movie is literally the Elephant Man finally living a somewhat decent life where he isn't beaten. Sure people were still afraid of him but generally most of it was him being pampered while others were growing affectionate towards him. Only a few scenes where he had to deal with some bullshit.

lynch is a hack and youre a pleb

Woah this guy doesn't like things that are popular. Very impressive.

>replying to bait

You won't fight me tho

>That scene where he starts crying because a beautiful woman never greeted him so kindly before

>I consider myself a pretty cynical and unsympathetic human being who rarely cries at a movie
bad boy

caught it on tcm the other day

That's where I recorded it.

Can you honestly defend lynch as good though? You may like him, but you must admit weird doesn't mean good. Lynch is a hack that tries to hide his lack of talent with le wackiest woah weirdst stuff he can.

You could watch the film that bet it for an oscar, Ordinary People

One of my favourite films. I experienced the same thing as you: I cried like a bitch. I probably cried more during the first viewing than I've done to all other films I've seen combined, because I usually just get emotional and teary-eyed instead of crying.

sometimes I feel like John

It's me favorite film, alrite