Hello Sup Forums. I've not been to this board often but I intend to lurk around much more in the coming days...

Hello Sup Forums. I've not been to this board often but I intend to lurk around much more in the coming days, because while it has never been the case before, I now have a growing interest in the art of film and cinema and I believe the interest is owed to this movie in particular, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Before I saw this movie a couple of years ago I had only seen a few cheap flicks, some slashers and 80's action movies and bargain bin sci-fi, that kind of stuff. But this movie is an entirely different caliber, both it and its sister films from the same trilogy (For a Few Dollars More to a slightly lesser extent, and Fistful being a degree below that one). When I first saw TGTBTU it instantly became my ultimate favorite film of the scant few I have been exposed to, the scale of this movie and its landscapes, its slow-boiling and grand epic narrative, the amazing framing and compositions of the scenes with certain stills being almost works of art in their own right, the beautiful and mutual yet impersonal and cynical relationships between the characters, the earth-shattering soundtrack of Morricone, this movie has it all.

So to cut to the crux of this post, I'm sick of pandering, focus tested, lowest common denominator, by-the-numbers garbage that's busy being churned out every year by Hollywood and making billions today. I would very much like to be exposed to some real fucking movies, actual experiences you can digest and discuss and come back to with any sort of appreciation and intrigue. I think the Dollars films are a special type of film and a special trilogy, one that may never be personally topped for me, but I would like some suggestions for movies to watch that come close to their level of quality pound for pound, and please keep in mind that I have not seen a vast majority of "masterwork" films that many people take for granted everyone has seen. Thank you.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vatican's_list_of_films
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You know you're not saying anything new right?

This, great film.

Here's my top 5 list of movies you should check out user they might not be your thing but I consider these to be true works of art
1. 2001 a space odyssey
2. Barry Lyndon
(Those are both by the Same director)
3. Apocalypse Now
4. Blade runner (final cut is the best version in my opinion just when you come to the unicorn scene just ignore it pretend like you never saw it)
5. Cool Hand Luke
I hope you like these movies I enjoy the fact that you seem to have a real passion for movies not just dumb memes

Yes, it's only that I'm late to the party and hoping some more good shit will be recommended ITT so I can catch up. Also kinda hoping discussion of the movie might happen as a byproduct, because almost no one I know personally has seen the movie or cares for it. They're more into modern Disney and capeshit.

2001 A Space Odyssey, Apocalypse Now and Blade Runner were on my list to watch soon. I've never heard of those other two movies so thank you for the recommendations user, I can't wait to check them out. 2001 is a Kubrick film, right? I just got done watching Full Metal Jacket last night, not sure how you might feel about that movie.

Watch Once Upon a Time in the West. It's slower and longer but its better than TGTBTU.

Yeah 2001 is Kubrick I loved FMJ great movie I think it's done in a way that's a lot different from other vietnam war flicks. Apocalypse now basically set all the cliches for Vietnam movies it's got a really slow buildup but the ending is like one big giant massive ejaculation. Personally I like apocalypse now better I just think the set designs are incredibly impressive to pull off and the control that Coppola exerts over what is being filmed and how it ends up in the final piece is just amazing. Truly everything had to be precise for the end product to end up like it was. The soundtrack for FMJ is a lot better tho and it's definitely a lot more of an unorthodox film compared to Apocalypse Now which is somewhat cookie cutter-ish

Start with the classics. great list but I wouldn't watch Barry Lyndon before watching more approachable Kubrick classics like Dr. Strangelove (my personal favourite movie) and 2001.

Watch the theatrical or director's cut of Apocalypse Now, NOT the Redux version. For the love of god, do NOT watch Redux on your first viewing. It's only good for supplementary viewings, it wrecks the pacing of the movie.

The Godfather parts 1 & 2 (3 optional, it's not that bad)
Blade Runner
Alien
Dog Day Afternoon
The Great Dictator
Modern Times (this is a silent movie, but do not let that stop you, because if it does you are a massive pleb)
Paths of Glory (this is also Kubrick, and imo, the only war movie to really earn the "anti-war" tag)
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

and there's plenty more but we can't drop a 100 movie list on you. Start with the established mid-to-late 20th century classics however, they are classics for a good reason

>(this is also Kubrick, and imo, the only war movie to really earn the "anti-war" tag)
Let me correct myself I would also give that tag to Come And See. But you shouldn't delve into nutty Soviet movies just yet.

Already seen it, I didn't like it as much I'm sorry. Wasn't a huge fan of the scope of the movie being scaled down, the increased usage of wide/long panning shots rather than still shots and cutaways disrupted the framing of a lot of scenes and looked a little articial, and I felt that the Morricone score was a bit weaker than the score of either of Leone's previous two films. Namely, the harmonica leitmotif being interwoven with the story and the main character having a personal grudge against the antagonist Frank, which isn't revealed or elaborated on in great detail until the final duel of the movie, was already done in For a Few Dollars More with Mortimer and I personally think it was done better there.

This thread is making me angry! user is upset!

Correction: WATCH the Redux version. People who hate on the redux are plebs and obviously can't or - due to autistic disorder or something - won't comprehend what the added scenes add to the entire movie. Just because the pacing is LESS STRAIGHT-FORWARD it doesn't mean it is ruined. It's actually improved and it's Coppola's true vision of the film. The added scenes further elevate the existing themes and introduce some new ones, making the film far deeper than it already is. The added scenes also add so much more room for ADDITIONAL interpretation of the entire film.

Go home, gamer girl

Jesus christ, tell me this is bait or stale pasta.
Fucking kill yourself, preferably with a spork

Do not listen to this faggot. Watch the Redux after you watch the original.
>People who hate on the redux are plebs and obviously can't or - due to autistic disorder or something - won't comprehend what the added scenes add to the entire movie.
Strawmanning little faggot, I clearly recommended watching it after watching the original version, I don't hate it
>Just because the pacing is LESS STRAIGHT-FORWARD it doesn't mean it is ruined.
The pacing it outright fucking ruined and the movie grinds down to a fucking halt in the middle for the French plantation scene.

Do yourself a favour, watch the version with the better focus and better pacing, then watch the Redux. You'll lose nothing from it, but watching the Redux first will forever make your first and most memorable experience of this incredible movie a slog.

This thread is literally r*ddit so I think you might like Fight Club and Inception.

You're all roleplaying right?

Not enough memes and shitposting?

Too much cringy plebbit tier "intellectualism" about shitty movies on top of OP's "penguin of doom" tier introduction like he's just joined a fucking subreddit.

What's next, a post about how the OP thinks Citizen Kane is a good movie and then everyone suggesting he watches Moon and the big lebowski?

Citizen Kane is a good movie.

You should also watch Moon and The Big Lebowski

Are you being post-post ironic right now?

Most of the thread is just people recommending movies you homo
so what if OP wrote a fartsy little introduction

>shitty movies
hur dur am i being contrarian enough yet

Complaining without providing alternatives doesn't make you any better if you think the movies being talked about here are so shit, and there's no intellectualism, it's just talking about movies. Unless being expressive and passionate about something you love is something that triggers you, you joyless fuck

>2001
>Blade Runner
>Apocalypse Now
>One flew over the cuckoo's nest
Did you get this list from your film and art first semester too?

>four great classics
>OP barely knows any movies
Should we recommend him avant garde French cinema, would that appease you faggot ass?

Vatican has an excellent taste, they made a list of 45 greatest masterpieces, all of them worth checking out
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vatican's_list_of_films

No you tell the OP to fuck off and ignore his shitty thread.

>good movie can't be popular!

OP is clearly trolling and you all fell for it like the fucking redditor plebs you all are.

Why? I was also a complete pleb back in the day, and people's recommendations helped me develop. I bet you think Sup Forums is a secret club for ebin patricians you massive fag.

Do you remember when you used to enjoy things? If not, make the effort.

Nice blog bro

I'm still here, wasn't trolling, I'm just a faggot who threw this thread out in earnest but half-expected it to go up in flames. I primarily browse the actual shittiest board on this site so I thought a genuine post made to incite genuine discussion would be a good reprieve from the usual.

How old are you?
How many fedoras do you own?
How big is your neckbeard?

You forgot Lawrence of Arabia, a must for OP to see.

If the two alternatives is shitposting about capeshit or wannabe intellectualism then I'll go for the 2nd one and ask you to fuck off back to capeshit.

some of these are legitimately good movies. try hards from film school would recommend stuff like tarkovsky

if you haven't seen a lot of flicks, the one that reminded most of TGTBTU was No country for old men. sadly it's ruined towards the end because the coens are 2deep4 epic movies

hey man big lebowski is a good fucking movie, man

OUATITW is better.

this desu. redux is great, but the original is the best, the one you need to watch first.

i also guarantee that after watching both, you will always return to the original when you feel like watching the movie again