Is this method conducive to training competent musicians, or was Fletcher in the wrong here?

Is this method conducive to training competent musicians, or was Fletcher in the wrong here?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zBEbYXa6Cik
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

if you think its right to question his behaviour then go be an apprentice in a trade.
the method used in this film is nothing compared to learning the ropes as an apprentice. you will hate your life until one day you dont because another apprentice has arrived

>tfw no instructor to scream at me so I greatly improve out of spite

Isn't that the question of the day?

I had an 80 year olds professor for a design class last year. He wouldn't yell at you perse but he did demean you ever time he talked to you. It was a roigh semester but he was trying to make us better out of spite to prove him wrong that we weren't shit designers who ended up in school on accident

It works for some people, it has the opposite effect on other people.
Also he basically didn't teach him anything technical, he only "thoughened" him. You can do that without being a piece of shit.
Nah.

Yeah, it's usually the prerequisite for truly great musicians.

All "great" musicians received "training", whether self taught or not. (And by that I mean if they didn't have a teacher, they were the kind of people who could teach themselves as a strict teacher would have done)

You can't just be great. Shit takes years to master and some never can. Some just have "it".

So yeah, I'd say it goes like this:

>Be forced to learn instrument (by parents, by self, w.e)
>Become good at said instrument
>Break away from old restraints (Teachers, parents, self, w.e)
>***sweet spot where greatness happens***
>Gradual decline as the well dries up, returning to mean

>I'd rather drown my brain in faggot ass odd time signatures and be the """"""""""""best"""""""""""" jazz drummer in the world instead of cumming inside Melissa Benoist 24/7

2/10 shit movie would not practice eight note grouping arrangements and 7/4 meter subdivisions with

most teenage whitebois would crack and shoot up the school if they were to face such aggression.
they're just simply not built for it.

Sorry that your terrible choices in life led you to this

NOT
MY
FUCKING
TEMPO!

it was worth it eventually.
*thumbs up emoji*
*cash emoji*

>Is this method conducive to training competent musicians
People like Beethoven or Mozart (just an example, I mean musicians from that era) had strict fathers, not teachers. Then again most of them were prodigies who were outclassing their teachers by the time they were 10 years old. Hasn't been the case for popular music, never has and never will. Great musicians would never go to this type of school and take shit from some bald failure.
>Charlie Parker got thrown a cymbal once by some drunk drummer
>THAT'S IT! THAT'S THE METHOD!
Fletcher was amazingly stupid, I'm surprised he got to be a teacher in this prestigious school.

But he managed to turn Neiman into a complete monster, so his method worked in the end.

do you guys think it's safe to torrent this movie now? It's been what, 4 years already?

He managed to give pretty much all of his students mental issues while also thoughening a couple ones.
Did you even watch the movie?

What?
Are you German by chance? I torrent all the time with zero fucks given.

>do you guys think it's safe to torrent this movie now
I think you're a newfag who needs to suicide.

It's worked in military training for hundreds of years

I'm a self-taught guitarist and pianist. I can almost guarantee I'm up there with the best you've ever heard. And here's where your theory is wrong bro, cos I'm a complete bum in all aspects of my life other than music. Luckily I make a decent bit of money doing what I do but it wasn't like I was disciplined when I learned, I just happened to pick it up really fucking easy and I do feel a bit like I have a cheat code in my brain that basically has given me a pass through life to live how I want and be as lazy as I can be, all because I can make 6 strings and a few keys do whatever I want them to do.

Militaries get ptsd and all kind of mental issues, you become pretty much the opposite of a functional human being after training, you become a puppet devoid of any individuality.

>WAHH LOOK HOW HARD I AM PRACTICING DRUMS LOOK HOW FAST I PLAY BAM BAM I PUNCHED THE SNARE FOR SOME REASON AND I'M COVERED IN BLOOD CAN YOU TELL I'M PASSIONATE YET THIS IS LITERALLY JUST A MOTIVATIONAL SPORTS MOVIE WITH ALL THE REFERENCES TO SPORT REPLACED WITH SOME APPROPRIATE MUSIC RELATED EQUIVALENT AND PEOPLE LAPPED IT UP HAVE YOU NOTICED YOU CAN PUT LITERALLY THE THINNEST SHEEN OF SOPHISTICATION ON UTTER TRASH AND PEOPLE THINK IT IS THE HEIGHT OF CULTURE JUST LOOK AT QUENTIN TARANTINO'S ENTIRE FUCKING CAREER I MEAN JESUS CHRIST THAT'S A JOKE GOD I HATE EVERYONE

well I never really thought about it since I mostly torrent old movies, the most recent one I've seen must be Dredd that's why I'm asking

>It's okay to endure emotional and mental abuse if you get some money afterwards.
Submissive weaklings like you are the reason that this kind of crap happens to people.

>I can almost guarantee I'm up there with the best you've ever heard.
Who are you? Why would you not share your name?

lol k
>/r/thathappened
>/r/meirl

>I can almost guarantee I'm up there with the best you've ever heard.

i highly doubt that.

youtube.com/watch?v=zBEbYXa6Cik

not even the 'best' i've heard but can you hold a candle to that?

This was the most jarring part of the film. You would have to be autistic to pursue "jazz drumming" as a profession in this day and age. Why sweat blood for something so specific, outmoded, and ultimately arbitrary? Why not at least attempt, rather, to simply be the best drummer?

That's only people who engage in active combat (which is less than half the US military, for example), and even then it's not every person who does fight. Plenty of soldiers are capable of returning to civilian life with their only problem being inability to find work or their wife cheating on them or something.

I served for 4 years, 19 to 23, and I sat in a bodyshop smoking cigarettes with my bros, occasionally running routine checks on helicopters that were never used, and on weekends I would fuck at least two hookers.

who cares? you wanna be a baby about being treated harshly go cry to your mum.

Wow he's now a slightly above average jazz drummer. He'll be a session man for...oh right jazz is dead so he'll have to do with playing sunday night gigs at the local park with some old jazz orchestra.

beautifully said user

Everything is arbitrary you fucking dunce

the hero Sup Forums deserves

Every time I see this image, I get confused with this scene from I am Legend

>t. butthurt nigger

Not even jazz musicians used this piece of shit method, at the most they'd sit in on jam sessions with the great ones and maybe get laughed at. Rock musicians would never even dream of doing this shit.

I actually have a somewhat laid back job with little responsibility and with a reasonable pay. And it's mainly because I did not buy into the 'work as hard as you can' mentality.

I guess thats the difference.

>do you guys think it's safe to torrent this movie now? It's been what, 4 years already?
I read this post in Gunter's voice, lol. It's cool, my man.

Lmao not him but act like it isnt true. The hwhite man faces the slightest inconvinience and its "white genocide" this or "we are the 99 percent" that

you seem to be lost

Are niggers the cuckiest race in history? They have always been slaves, even among themselves. They're the dumbest race on earth, they have never been leaders, even while outnumbering their masters by 20 to 1 all they did was sing their negro spirituals and submit like the weak bitches they are. They're hated by all other races and women, not even black ones, want to touch them.

Please kill yourself you faggot reddinigger.

It's basically the Asian method, in other words it's shit.

Developing a skill shouldn't be done at the loss of passion and creativity, which is what this does to people.

Yeah but were you subjected to what the MC of the movie was subjected to daily? I don't think so. You either snap or your individuality gets annihilated.

>Everything is arbitrary
Wow, I see you're a fellow traveler my dude. How do I upvote this post?

>Is this method conducive to training competent musicians,
Yes, that's why "competent" musicians never make it

>They're hated by all other races and women, not even black ones, want to touch them

Africa is a top location for female sex tourism.

>all these 'woke' buzzwords
Whites really do occupy your headspace rent free, huh?

That feel when everyone else is stupid and your greatness isn't recognized

>meanwhile black people never open a book in their life, deride the fellow "brothers" who do it, and then get angry because "society is holding them down"

Right, because black people are famous for being hard workers and for taking responsibility.

>female sex tourism.
Yeah, super rich, super neurotic, super predatory jewesses in their late fifties. You've sure come a long way since slavery.

>wagecucking

>the conquerors of the world and the ranks of the special forces would crumble

>this reply
>not butthurt
kek, pinkskins are so funny, tbqh

>I'm going to be a world class chef!
>WHAT'S THAT? You can buy frozen food nowadays?
>Well I guess can't be a chef anymore...

lol yea, because those men are the average white male, right?
get real, pink dick.
most white kids are fucking losers and numales, such as yourself.
>completely outclassed in almost every athletic event
>highest suicide rate
>multi-racial marriage on the rise
>white births at an all time low
lol, white men are history and you can't do anything about it, cuck.

>Yeah but were you subjected to what the MC of the movie was subjected to daily?

Yes, it's called basic training, and it involves more than just drumming.

Except chefs make mad dosh.
They also work 16 hours a day, would not recommend it.

Poor analogy. It's more like he wants to be the world's best souffle maker and naught else, which is stupid.

The Hwhite man is so easy to bait lmaoo. Fuck affirmative action just pls continue being your fragile white selves and that'll be enough in reparations.

Tell us what they told you and did to you on a daily basis.

I'm glad you're laughing. Personally? I find niggers hilarious. It's good to see we have some common ground.

Basically not.

Most people will respond worse to this treatment than something more encouraging.

Some people will respond as well to this treatment as positive encouragement.

Therefore, being a cunt is redundant.
It's very gratifying for the person being the cunt though.

>chefs make mad dosh.
lol

If they had to tell you anything you were in trouble. You wake up, shave with cold water, shower with cold water, and then spend the rest of the day doing whatever physical task is on the schedule, running with a full pack, climbing whatever the wall is called at your base, marksmanship, wrestling, and if anyone fucks up it's everyone else who pays for it.

>Fuck affirmative action just pls continue being your fragile white selves and that'll be enough in reparations.
Just like blacks cry because of their condition but never do something to change it?
They do. It's also all unregistered money. But I'm not talking about burgerland.

Absolute delusion

Furthermore, YOU are exactly the type of "slacker" musician who is the opposite of great. You're garbage, you learn "just enough" to appear good to the layman, but nothing more.

It's written all over your post, you basically admit to it.

Seems like a job for masochists.
Last time my boiler didn't work and I took a cold shower I was ill for a week. And I never get ill.

Basically this. A guy like Fletcher would have been shitcanned so fast, but hey, Whiplash is really just a sports movie in disguise.

Great post lad. Plebs just don't get it. They still watch superhero comic movies ffs

>Throw a chair at my head

He's getting a chair thrown right back at him. Don't care if I get kicked out. I've been kicked out and fired from plenty of jobs before. There are always assholes that want to push your buttons and try this tough shit when they think status can protect them even if that status is just being an assistant manager in some factory.

There's just things you cannot tolerate as a man. And getting assaulted and not doing anything about it is one of those things. If he wants to fight, we can one on one it. If he wins he wins if he lose he lose. At any rate no more chairs are being thrown. People are so afraid to get punched in the face these days yet still quick to try you. It's why so many people get shot too, too scared to fight.

Instruments are outdated, why not just the best musician?

Music is outdated why not just the best social media persona?

Persona's are outdated why not be yourself, faggot?

That's not stupid. Would be a pretty good title to have it's very difficult to make a souffle.

You make it sound much harder than it is.

You sound really upset. Are you a "jazz drummer" by any chance?

I enjoy the movie and all but realistically what would a guy like Andrew end up doing for an actual career as a musician? Session drummer I guess.

How was Andrew allowed into that bar that Fletcher was playing at and then served alcohol? Wasn't he supposed to be 19?

ey yo hol up

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:cc7e79e9e04c370d115d4b14ff7f0e5f8fda9837&dn=Whiplash+%282014%29+1080p+ENG-ITA-Comm+MultiSub+x265+BluRay&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fzer0day.ch%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.demonii.com%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fexodus.desync.com%3A6969

>tfw been legally drinking since 16

I'm sure you have but Whiplash is set in New York City. That doesn't answer my question.

Do you always get asked for ID each time you enter a bar or buy alcohol? I've been asked once or twice in more than 10 years.

Wow.
Thanks for letting that completely unnecessary wad of words belch out of your mind.

This is pretty much what conservatory is like, so yes.

If you look underrage, sure. The jazz club almost certainly would have asked to see Andrew's ID when he was drinking with Fletcher after the show.

U mad?

Your music instructors scream in your face like a Florida college football coach? Unlikely.

This honestly. People have this superficial perception of outmoded shit like jazz drumming being "sophisticated" so this movie gets way more respect than it deserves while something like The Wrestler, which does greater things with a less superficially "respectable" topic doesn't get shit.

No. I have babyface. No one asks shit. Here at least.

Ask anyone that has been to a high level music school. I've been screamed at, cursed out, had objects thrown at me while playing. This is not unusual behavior, especially on the East Coast.

Fletcher was in the wrong for even trying.

jazz is an ancient art and there will not be another Buddy Rich because there are no more trails to blaze, no conventions to break. his attitude of achieving greatness by "perfection in imitation" is essentially preventing him from ever reaching that goal.

above all the abuse and elitism, Fletcher's failure is in failing to understand his own art.

Nigga the Wrestler was hyped as fuck, what you talking about?

And you just take it like pussies? Fuck that.

The director/writer said Simmons was in the wrong and he'd keep being a fucking cunt after the movie ended too.

You could have had an easygoing office job where you get to boss people around and otherwise do fuck all like me, but you fell for the macho hurd wurk meme and suffered to make half the money I do.
You can spout this "be a man!!!" shit all you want, it's just something that was placed in your mind to make you feel good about your high-effort, low-reward lifestyle.

>t. fattest, lowest IQ race
top kek, have another chicken nugget jamal