Is this the most controversial Simpsons episode ever?

Is this the most controversial Simpsons episode ever?

Other urls found in this thread:

nohomers.net/showthread.php?47893-R-amp-R-Homer-s-Enemy
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Far from it. It may be the one where the cynicism is the most debatable, but rarely the actualy quality of the content.

Nope.

Quality wise I think it was the episode where they revealed Skinner was really an Impostor and his name was Tamzarian

It was a okay episode

Not even close

Wasn't the most controversial episode the one where Homer was sort of raped by a panda?

Back when anyone still cared about the show.

That's not controversial, everyone thinks it's shit

>Homer tries to be a nice guy and extend the hand of friendship
>Frank Grimes can't deal with it and acts like a gigantic asswipe

The gay one with John Waters is more controversial.

It's the most meta, but I didn't think people really disliked it.

What's there to hate?

It's the episode that saw Homer officially become an unlikable shit, someone self-absorbed beyond belief and not giving a shit about the damage he causes and only caring about himself and his own base wants.

It was the episode that saw the death of Homer Simpson as we knew him and the unholy birth of "Jerkass Homer".....

Not even close.

Not really. The gay episode is well liked even though it came out during the dark days of Zombie Simpsons

What made Sadgasm suck is how it wiped out all of the other flashback episodes from canon.

While they had been pushing their luck with the "Home and Marge met at camp but because they were disguised no one noticed years later" retcon episode, the 90s episode didn't even TRY and conform to the established canon. It was a shitty as hell rip off of the superior previous flashback episodes.......

Love it or hate it, at least this episode tried to do something original. Even the people who hate this episode have more respect for it that any episode from the last 15 years.

No. It is pretty much loved.

Not by a long shot.

At least they learned their lesson.

The last couple of flashback episodes have been clearly set between Lisa's birth and Lisa gets her saxaphone/Bart's first day of school and been excuse plots to bring Maude back/do Homer/Flanders stories.

Zap
Zap
Zap

No.

It was the most intensely unlikable episode until the descent into pure liquid shit the series eventually made. That's really the main reason anyone remembers it in particular.

Actually I dislike Bart The Fink more. That episode is just annoying in a way I can't explain.

>Simpsons
>canon

I think which episode you think is the worst episode of the Simpsons says something about you:

1. If you hate Homer's Enemy you hate it because it pushed Homer over the line from uncaring but well meaning clod to borderline retard monster who does not care about the carnage he leaves in is wake.

2. For Principal and the Pauper, you hate how years of continuity was tossed into the dumpster with zero regard to the consequences for the sake of a throwaway episode by writers who didn't gives a shit about the damage they caused in thumbing their noses at hardcore fans

3. If you hate the episode where Homer gets raped by a panda, you hate how Simpsons was having to resort to sadistic mean spirited adult humor to keep up with the South Parks and Family Guys of the world

4. Hating That 90s Show means you were one of the few who were willing to tolerate "Principal and the Pauper" fucking up continuity by simply pretending it was a non-canon episode or at least accepted the half-assed damage control spiel the writers gave after the fact when they realized they fucked up. But when they nuked from canon nearly a half dozen classic, universally loved episodes in the span of a single episode for the sake of a bunch of cheap 90s jokes and to address a problem, IE the sliding timeline, that no one actually had a problem with, it was the final straw

TFW They're going to do a flashback episode set in the 2000s/noughties someday.

Zombie simpsons?
Didn't that episode win an Emmy?

im a #3

i love homers enemy, i think it was a great episode for what it was about its genius. though i hate principal and the pauper, im more concerned with when the humor of the simpsons turned to shit than when the continuity started being held together with paper clips. im aware the continuity inevitably would have some holes while trying to write 100s of episodes, its forgivable especially when they attempted to make it kind of work, even half-assed.

but when the humor went is when it stopped "feeling" like the simpsons.

Homer's Enemy'a entire premise is

>what if a person in the real world lived in the Simpsons world

To him everything is crazy, Homer lives WAY beyond his means "this place is a palace!" for someone of his station (his wife doesn't even work a job and he's raising three kids in a two story house on a one person salary).
As a cartoon character Homer constantly has amazing things happen to him (being an astronaut, etc.) and by the standards of our world- that's crazy, it's absurd and people in cartoons don't act by normal logic. For Frank Grimes, his entire life must've been like an episode of the twilight zone. Applying real, actual world logic to his surrounding settings, a cartoon world.

That's why it seemed so brutal for him. He's a real person in a fake world and he doesn't even know it.

pretty sure the gay episode was pre zombie simpsons. i dont know im more lenient than most especially considering this thread is saying frank grimes is "bad" simpsons. ill watch the show into season 12 and season 9 is just the start of things going down hill not the cut off.

I'll go so far as to say the show still had good episodes here and there until the HD switch.

Frank was wrong on every account. To name a few:
He shouldn't have smacked the acid out of his hand, Frank should've taken it and placed it somewhere safer. It's his fault the wall was destroyed.
If you're going to bring your own lunch to work, keep it with you and not in the fridge. Poaching other people's lunches is EXTREMELY common in the workplace, and you're setting yourself up for trouble leaving it where anyone can grab it, especially paper bag and styrofoam container lunches.
Don't leave your work station door wide open so that any shmoe can walk in and take your stuff without permission. Pens and pencils are the number one target of this, and you only make it worse by having so many spare pencils.

Most importantly though, friendliness and being outgoing are the key to being successful in the work place, something Homer has in spades. A bitter loner like Frank will never get far no matter how hard he works.

I would mostly agree. There is a marked decline in quality starting with season 9, but season 9 and 10 are still more good than bad. As for season 11 and 12, they're more mediocre than outright bad, with a few gems scattered throughout. If you could compress seasons 9-12 into two seasons, that would make it basically perfect.

Oh you.

I wonder if this episode inspired Spongebob and Squidward. It aired in 1997; Spongebob was probably in development at that time.

Opinions on it are a good way to tell whether or not a fan actually appreciated the Simpsons for the great show it was or just liked the cuddly family sitcom about wonderful down to Earth characters that they created entirely in their own heads

Season 8 was the show at it's peak, you fucking people need to fuck off forever

It really wasn't though, the show got a little weaker and more meta because the writers assumed it was ending shortly.

the episode where maude dies was when the show took a sharp turn downward. the humor got lazy and crude to compete with south park. i believe that was season 11.

That was when Mike Scully decided to make the show into "The Wacky Adventures of Homer Simpson".

>Opinions on it are a good way to tell whether or not a fan actually appreciated the Simpsons for the great show it was or just liked the cuddly family sitcom about wonderful down to Earth characters that they created entirely in their own heads

Depends. Some of the writers (especially Mike Reiss) wanted a cutesy, heartwarming show, others like George Meyer wanted to do aggressive social/political satire.

The writing was still topnotch, the fact that the show didn't actually end a couple seasons later doesn't retroactively make it any lesser

nohomers.net/showthread.php?47893-R-amp-R-Homer-s-Enemy

>375 posts in the Rate & Review thread for this episode

>NoHomers

Oh that's clever.

What do they say about the episode?

Both styles were always there (to the show's credit), but I swear some fans just wanted the former and seemed to actively resent the latter and if that's all you wanted you probably could have found a better show to deliver it

It's basically dozens of pages of arguing about who is or isn't a dick in the episode, Homer or Grimes.

chuck norris doesn't respond to threads... threads respond to him

The first four seasons managed a good balance, but after Dave Mirkin took over, he just turned everything into wacky jokes and hamfisted satire.

Has Matt Groening done a promo drawing for every episode?

>Some of the writers (especially Mike Reiss) wanted a cutesy, heartwarming show, others like George Meyer wanted to do aggressive social/political satire

The voice actors also had some differences of opinion on the show's creative direction, for example Yeardley Smith has always liked cutesy feels kind of episodes while Harry Shearer wanted everything to be satire, satire, and more satire.

Groening seemed to lean more towards the satire side of things.

>for example Yeardley Smith has always liked cutesy feels kind of episodes

She's a chick, chicks love that shit.

Matt Groening doesn't draw them.

Maybe.

Fox are contractually required to put his signature on all Simpsons merch/promos.

"Controversial" means it's hotly debated if it's good or bad, you can't call these episodes "controversial" when everyone agrees they're bad you stupid faggots

I never watched "that 90´s Show" cause I jumped off the simpsons after the movie.

How do they explain the sliding timeline with it?

And why do they feel any need to? Nobody seems to care in southpark that the kids went frompokemon beeing a new thing to having smartphones n shit

Marge be not proud

I've only seen the first 2 and honestly it was only years later that I realized how bad 2 is because I was a kid when it aired.

>Homer lives WAY beyond his means "this place is a palace!" for someone of his station

I would think the head of safety in a nuclear power plant would be paid extremely well

>that the kids went from pokemon beeing a new thing

Honestly that episode is more hilarious to me now because everyone like Matt and Trey assumed that pokemon was just a fad, when in reality it became an unstoppable juggernaut for 20 years that essentially will never die.

Pokemon as a mass market pop culture phenomenon only lasted about two years, afterwards just relegated to the dank, dark depths of nerd culture.

They're still among the highest-selling nintendo games out there, and the fanbase is and always has been primarily children. That's the genius of recycling the game's formula for every gen, because it runs on the logic of "well there will always be more kids born". They took Stan Lee's words on how every comic is someone's first and built a franchise out of it.

Nigga, its like you didnt even gather the Pokemon GO craze last year

Sure it was a fad that lasted all of one summer, but I know so many "Normie" people that went around cathcing pokemans that you cant really say it doesnt appeal to people outside "Nerd" circles

Nah, that would be Bart's Funeral.

I think SpongeBob and Squidward were more inspired by Rocko and Ed Bighead

This could be more likely since half the Spongebob staff worked on RML, but still, the resemblance is rather uncanny.

>It's the episode that saw Homer officially become an unlikable shit, someone self-absorbed beyond belief and not giving a shit about the damage he causes and only caring about himself and his own base wants.
Oh noooo... Are people really too self righteous to enjoy that episode? That's fucking depressing.

There's Something about Marrying
Pray Anything

the principal and the pauper

And it's not even a bad episode. People just love to bitch about how they think it "ruined Skinner's character."

Homer vs Dignity honestly isn't _that_ bad. The panda rape scene isn't nearly as graphic as people seem to think it is, although I agree the fish guts scene was pretty bad.

That aside, I think Season 13 gets too much heat. Sure, Al Jean eventually went completely insane, but at least during his initial comeback as showrunner, he seemed to restore a little bit of that old spark the show had had (although some episodes like Brawl in the Family are way off) and the episodes are pretty funny and manage to restore some depth to the characters unlike how flat and one-dimensional they were in Seasons 11-12. Some efforts feel misguided like She of Little Faith (mean spirited as fuck), or just illogical (what the fuck was The Lastest Gun in the West?), but Half Decent Proposal, The Old Man and the Key, Tales From The Public Domain, Poppa's Got a Brand New Badge, even Jaws Wired Shut for its misguided attempt to show Homer as a thoughtless, selfish maniac/glutton (which got way worse with time) is funny as fuck. I think the wheels started coming off with Bart vs Lisa vs The Third Grade, Large Marge, Helter Shelter, etc.

The Boys of Bummer. It would be a classic if it were done by a different show. However, the entire idea of a town bullying a child into attempting suicide was in very poor taste.

episodes I'm pretty sure gets quite some hate:

Homer's Odyssey

Homer's Night Out

The Twisted World Of Marge Simpson

Principal And The Pauper

Homer Simpson In Kidney Trouble

Thrash Of The Titans

Kill The Alligator & Run

Its a Mad Mad Mad Mad Marge

Saddlescore Galactica

Simpsons Safari

Helter Shelter

Co-Dependants Day

Noticably a lot of Scully episodes

>only caring about himself

Homer did nothing but try to extend a hand of friendship to Frank but he only reacted with negativity.

even when Homer realized how upset the guy was he still decided to invite him over for dinner and all Frank could do was bitch over how Homer had things he didn't.

I saw so many fucking people walking in a park in 100 degree weather. All because Pokemon.
some genius shit kid was making hats and selling them

I just did some browsing and apparently it's between $90-120k a year.

Not exactly 2-story home money. Especially considering he doesn't have an engineering degree, Burns probably pays them all shit, and he barely shows up half the time

I don't get the dislike of On A Clear Day I Can't See My Sister. It's pretty funny, the ending is cute, and a lot of the animation, especially when Bart goes feral, is really good.

>some genius shit kid was making hats and selling them
The kids on my block were selling Red/Blue/Yellow kool-aid and had tip jars for each team like it was a competition to see which team would buy the most juice.

I saw a fucking 20 in one of the jars once.

Those kids made a fucking killing that summer

Kill Gil

>Not exactly 2-story home money.
Abe sold his house and gave the money to Homer to buy their current house

also the lisa needs braces episode shows that the staff of the power plant have obtained a crapload of benefits over the years. Burns covers a sizable chunk of the Simpson's expenses

>That episode were Bart is forced to live among a pack of street dogs because he can't come close to Lisa because she got a restraining order
>That episode where Bart gets a driving license and dates an adult woman who tells him she is pregnant with his kid
>That episode where a girl flashes her tits at Bart
I think the wierdest episodes are Bart focused

Politically Inept, with Homer Simpson (I cant fathom the hate it gets here)

It's mostly hated because of how hard to watch this episode is, horribly annoying and terribly boring with an incredibly obnoxious Homer in it, the plot doesn't make any sense, the characters are unbearable (especially Lisa and Ted Nugent), the jokes mostly fall flat and this episode is just a big fail on political commentary.

Except that, nothing really intrusive.

fuck this episode so much

Only controversal to people who think Simpsons has deepest lore and canon. To normal people it was a fun episode.

I see nothing wrong with Lisa doing something really bad.

>Season 8
>Zombie Simpsons

Get fucked sideways.

Couldnt that be said about the other guy?

I hated it as a kid because it was so pointlessly cruel and unfair, I like it now basically for the same reason

>so pointlessly cruel and unfair
Lisa deserved it for at least one story.

Yeah, that's something that's always bothered me, people who work even pretty basic positions at nuclear power plants make bank in my experience

Every Man's Dream

I think the "Real Skinner" episode takes that title.

nu-Simpsons really had hit rock bottle hasn't it? They'll find a way to go deeper just watch.

we've got stories for years

We can that into account or MrBurns into account but we can't have both.

>"only the first four seasons were good!"
>"everything except for the middle of season three to the middle of season four is Zombie Simpsons (tm)!"
>"wah, I'm just so fucking smart, I could totally make a better show than Simpsons circa 1997 cause I'm such a fucking genius!"

What did I say about you people needing to fuck off forever?

I mean, considering everything that goes on in a nuclear power plant, it makes sense even basic positions would be well paid.

It's the most depressing episode probably.

I was in highschool when that came out and I remember that being the WP that was quoted most and referred to most. Also or band learned the c+c music factory song to play at games when the other team came on.

What the fuck is this? Is this real life?