Letterboxd thread

A website for intellectuals.

>News
First lively thread in ages still doesn't reach bump limit Cars 3 is out!
user watches Elephant Man
user describes the Letterboxd experience user sums up /lbg/
user forgets everything AGAIN
Unusual freak of nature user didn't see anything special in Wonder Woman

Other urls found in this thread:

letterboxd.com/notaname/tag/ryan-gosling/lists/
letterboxd.com/OriginalName3/
youtube.com/watch?v=ZDPIK7Fz_g4
letterboxd.com/machill54/
letterboxd.com/heirobosch/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>old news
who cares

NotAName >>>>>>>>>>>>> DriveAnon
letterboxd.com/notaname/tag/ryan-gosling/lists/

Mr. Reece Kitty gives Intolerance: Love's Struggle Throughout the Ages a 4 star rating

You do.

I do.

He does.

He didn't give a review, so we don't know why he didn't give it a 5. Oh well, I guess we can only assume. Most likely it was because "muh boredom" but "pioneering" and "unrivaled spectacle" so 4 stars.

When you're representing human existence, you're bound to have "spectacle". Intolerance isn't really "intolerance", it's "Man". But Griffith already made Genesis, and Intolerance was equally an attack as much as an artistic statement. A vicious attack from god himself.

Who gives a shit. It's fucking boring faggot. Napoleon is better.

letterboxd.com/OriginalName3/
hello friends

no!!!!!!!!!!

OOh Boy! Loved the literal swinging of the camera on a rope! Really got my blood boiling! And the widescreen. EPIX!!

EPIX!!!!!!!!!!!

You've been here for a year, and the only thing that's changed is your watched count.
I'll spell it out easy for you.
YOU WILL NEVER GET TASTE, GENES NO GOOD

haha they should put this on the poster of Napoleon :))

Why is Intolerance better than Napoleon now? More specifically, do you have any reasons that don't involve sucking up to me?

>that doesn't belong on this list
it's a list of all of the silent films I've seen, why wouldn't I put certain silent movies on there? Otherwise a very interesting game and I'm glad I got picked to be the first contestant, what do I win?

I LOVE GRIFFITH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wahoo!!!!!!!!!

Shouldn't be watching trash to begin with, aspie.
Really? What have you seen by him?

Oh you know, Birth of a Nation, Intolerance, Broken Blossoms, True Heart Susie, Orphans of the Storm, the list goes on!!

why did you spend your time making this and why is he a poop baby

what the fuck is this?

He's a model. An inanimate model, my puppet. He doesn't have a mind of his own after all. Only watches what I tell him to. See recent It's a model for the rest of you drooling slack-jawed drones.

>why is he a poop baby
next best thing to nigger babies

>Only watches what I tell him to
you didn't tell me to watch any of those

Ooh boy, a list! Better add these to my watchlist

What drove you to watch the Open Road and the Italian

seek help

i saw the image in the thread and took it as a recommendation, i'm sorry if that bothers you

youtube.com/watch?v=ZDPIK7Fz_g4

Little did the drooling slack-jawed drones know, I haven't revealed my whole hand. Thousands of works only I know of and have access to in archival prints.

I give them excrement, and *GASP* - THEY ENJOY IT

>Thousands of works only I know of and have access to in archival prints.
irrelevant

any good texts to read to brush up on my cinema analysis and critique?

the instructional guide on how to hang youself.

the instructional guide on how to hang youself.

Just listen to megaautist. He's an enviable resource.

griffith was a wise man

The only one here with an ounce of taste, a refined gentleman.

what if he changed it slighty so there were no strikes

>He's a model. An inanimate model, my puppet.
>wahhhh wahh his taste sux!!!!!!
looks like you're contradicting yourself tard boy

Found the illiterate bumfuck.

HE'S BACK

>""""""""""""""""C-I-N-F-I-L-E-S""""""""""""""""
*GUFFAWS*

>CINEPHILES

who the fuck names themself yersinia plebsis

>C-I-N-E-P-H-I-L-E-S

real cinephiles spam screenshots of other users profiles in Sup Forums

>F for Fake anything higher than a 1 even though Flaherty already distilled the illusion of photographic reality is subtler ways
CINEPHILES

Oh but don't take my word, take Orson's. Even he agrees Flaherty doesn't constitute the vulgar medium known as """"""cinema""""""

>cinephiles
*snorrrrrrrrrrts
*spits in your face
Oops!

Damn, this guy is a god in terms of raw taste and intelligence.

>cinephiles
embryo

*snorrrrrrrrrrts
*spits in your face
Oops!

>cinephiles
*snorrrrrrrrrrts
*spits in your face
Oops!

>cinephiles
embryo

>cinephiles
*snorrrrrrrrrrts
*spits in your face
Oops!

>cinephiles
embryo

*trips you
*walks over your back with steeltoe boots
*steps and presses your head into pavement
Oops!

>cinephiles
embryo

*trips you
*walks over your back with steeltoe boots
*steps and presses your head into pavement
Oops!

Awww Bruce won't add any reviews because he knows they give me satisfaction :((
He thinks he can offend me, he thinks he can challenge me.
"It is foolish for man to think he can challenge a mountain"

>cinephiles
embryo

Change man with rat

No wonder everyone hates this place.

So the thread is back to being shitty again. Good to know.

>WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I HAVE SHIT GENES :(((

Ice cream? I love ice cream!

Mermaid Man won an Oscar in 1956

>he gave up
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

For a long time I've considered posting in these threads, but now I must say I don't want to get bullied by megaautist. I don't have half as good taste as the people he does ridicule. And I mean I'm working on it. And I wish I could complain, but honestly elitism like that is what this board needs. So I'm annoyed but also kinda happy he's here

>I don't want to get bullied by megaautist
pussy

George Clooney is a cunt.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I know. But I've never seen anything by Griffith or Flaherty. Hardly any films before the 40s or 50s actually. Which like I said, I'm working on. But I liked F for Fake and many other unacceptable films. And while I can defend why I liked them (I'm not tasteless, I do know what I like and don't) I also can't know if I would feel the same way if I'd seen the other supposedly better films and directors first. So I guess I'm more of an embryo then a pleb, I can defend my taste, but I haven't seen enough to justify anything

FUCK YOU

YOU WHORE

FUCK WOODY ALLEN

YOU WHORE

EMILY JEAN IS BETTER THAN YOU.

Jesus
These threads always feel the same
Do something new for once

Griffith has never done a musical.

come up with something new

Only God Forgives is a decadent drag act

Ryan Gosling plays DiCaprio to Nicolas Winding Refn’s Scorsese–acting out an adolescent idea of manliness in Drive and now Only God Forgives. But sulky Gosling lacks DiCaprio’s hammy brio just as Refn lacks Scorsese’s flamboyance, so he mopes and broods; practicing a weak swagger amidst Refn’s brutal, grotesque, nihilistic stagings

Refn was praised for the derivative noir style of last year’s Drive so why not try to get away with it again? But sicker and darker this time? In Only God Forgives, Refn imitates the Asian noir of schlockmeister Park Chan-Wook (Oldboy) in this story of a ruthless Bangkok gangster Chang (Vithaya Pansringarm) waging battle with an American-boy reprobate: Julian (Gosling) is determined to avenge his sadistic brother’s death, egged on by his dragon lady mother, Crystal (Kristin Scott Thomas).

Like Drive, Refn repeats that neo-noir tendency for atrocity. Vengeance goes unexamined as psychology, it’s merely an opportunity for outre gore and repugnant spectacle. By scene three of Only God Forgives, the sight of one man’s cut-off arm, a slaughtered prostitute and Julian’s brother so beaten to death his blood is splattered across the room of a flophouse, our trust in life, morality and pop art is completely undermined. (Refn snarkily caps the sequence with Chang’s karaoke performance.) The cutthroat underworld Refn creates (where Western Caucasians are free to indulge an implied Eastern disrespect for life) is so exaggerated, feverish and slick you either laugh at it or fall for it then laugh at it.

The humorless appeal to adolescent taste ultimately infects Refn’s concept of heroism. Though Julian sometimes has psychic visions of dismemberment, he displays a catatonic chic. His confrontation with Chang is spoken with schoolkid childishness: “Wanna fight?” is an attempt at conveying innocent depravity. Such stupidity must strike Refn and his fans as cool. Given the film’s pervy, incestuous teases, Gosling is like a little boy wearing Mommy’s dress, necklace and high-heels. And director Refn is his playmate. Each of Gosling’s Refn roles is a drag act in which he strikes poses too grown up for his callow brooding and too silly for Refn‘s overwrought style. A truly cool actor might wink at Refn’s conceits but Gosling plays at intensity and mysterious depth that seems borrowed–and it is a drag. (Scott Thomas beats star and director at their game: her decadent, racist matriarch suggests the damnedest impersonation of Ellen Barkin in Johnny Handsome.)

This nonsense is so inorganic to any sense of globetrotter restlessness or anything explicitly or metaphorically to do with British or American colonialism that it just feels derivative. That Kubrickian scene in Drive of dead-eyed strippers watching an assault gets extended here in a more elaborate whorehouse sequence where catatonic hookers bear mute witness to instances of police corruption. Refn’s tableau of organdy-gowned call-girls listening to pop while watching violence in a bouquet-bedecked whorehouse is the ultimate David Lynch parody.

letterboxd.com/machill54/

hello it's me again, the wonderful smart boy who is good and has simply wonderful (some might say perfect) genes

Gosling and Refn have art ambitions–a strange sense of fun. But how can film culture progress with fantasies like this? There’s no shock or outrage left. Refn relies upon a level of menace (unerotic, non-provocative) that precludes caring about or responding to violence, vulnerability, mortality. This is cinema for unsophisticated viewers who don’t already know Bunuel’s eye-slashing, Altman’s Coke bottle assault or Shakespeare/Julie Taymor’s Titus. Children of Kubrick, Friedkin, Lynch and Tarantino, they remain infantile about movies.

here I am look at me
letterboxd.com/heirobosch/

one of the better new users, maybe

that means a lot user, thank you.

IM USING THIS LINK AND IT WORKS, WHY YOU FUCKERS HAVE AUDIO PROBLEMS WTF IS GOING OOOOOOON

another great thread brought to you by the classic discordfaggots

Won this in a competition lads

Anybody seen it before?