I like Disney a lot, but I've never played a JRPG

I like Disney a lot, but I've never played a JRPG.

Would I like Kingdom Hearts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=im5tc4fcg5w
youtube.com/watch?v=ch13bq3cDXw
youtube.com/watch?v=WXlQpMZ_ZdA
youtube.com/watch?v=Irl_Dc-Tc8U
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You might be tempted to take the ridiculous anime aesthetic seriously, so YMMV. But probably yes. Also this is Sup Forums

I enjoyed it and I'm not big into vidyas in general.

You may or may not, really the disney/square aspect is a flavor text to a "normal" convoluted JRPG.

But Batman/Justice League games are talked about all the time

Well the unique visuals of the art is what appeals to me, honestly. I hear the story is fucked up though.

Then again, I'm a comics fan so I'm used to that.

>I've never played a JRPG
It's more action based, not turn based if that makes a difference

It's about as convoluted as space time can get, BUT it's written decently, much better then some comics even. If you sat through Nu52 Teen Titans, you can deal with this.

>I hear the story is fucked up though.
It's fine for the first two games. I have no idea what the fuck is going on with all the side games building up to 3

You'll probably like it. I only played the first game but I actually enjoyed it - though fuck the hundred acre woods bit.

It's ridiculous swords and zippers and stereotype JRPG plots amped up to 11, but even that kinda cartoonification of a JRPG fits.

Maybe, it has a lot of Disney references.
You'll want to run from all the battles because the combat sucks but if you like WRPGs you might like it more.

BBS was a prequel to bridge how they got their powers
358/2 days was Roxas' time as a nobody giving a reason as to why he was ousted from the Organization
Coded was a means to show that Deep Down there are hidden memories of someone else in sora (I don't fuckin know it was stupid)
DDD was the link between 2 and 3 showing some development on both Riku and Sora as well as giving the protags and actual measure of how fucking ahead Xehanort is in planning shit.

Well you gotta ask yourself

WHEN YOU WALK AWAY

Where does Aqua come in?

It got weird. We saw why Sora was chosen and there was time travel involved at one point. Also Superior Spider-Man KH edition.

It's so JRPG it retroactively makes the entire Disney canon anime.

YOU DON'T HEAR ME SAY

Birth By Sleep, She's apart of the initial trio, setting up Xehanort as the real antagonist of the series as well as giving reason to why the castle in chain of memories is important to Xemnas.

God it's such an ear worm

youtube.com/watch?v=im5tc4fcg5w

But user that's the second opening.

I know, they're both catchy as hell

I hope we get a proper third song in KH3. It's been too damn long.

It sucks this was never a thing for KH
youtube.com/watch?v=ch13bq3cDXw

>Reminder that in the KH universe Tron dies because Sora failed to save him.

I don't even know what the main intro theme is anymore.
Dearly Beloved?

Yep.

He's fiiiiiiine.

youtube.com/watch?v=WXlQpMZ_ZdA
Basically.

The 2.8 remix of the first song is really good, but yeah I have high expectations for a new song

youtube.com/watch?v=Irl_Dc-Tc8U

Yeah, fuck that shit. In the movie /maybe/ he survived the crash. But in the game? There's no way he'd survive a fall from that high.

I was sort of hoping for a Sanctuary remix too, but I feel like that would need ANOTHER 2.8 style game.

God, I just want this to be done. Let KH3 release already.

1.5 + 2.5 remix coming out to ps4 in a couple.

>It stars the OT3 sky diving together.
It's like the best intro. I don't know why I'm more emotionally invested in these three who only showed up in one game over the other three.

>That fucking feel when you beat kingdom hearts 2 and forgot the gather all of pooh's memories

It's more of a story-heavy hack-and-slash with a levelup system than an RPG.

Pretty sure Utada was confirmed as working on the song for KHIII.

After years of Simple and Clean/Sanctuary remixes, it'll be nice to have something NEW for once.

So basically an RPG.

RPGs are not defined by a single kind of leveling/gameplay system.

I'm more invested in the friendship between Roxas and Axel than Sora and Riku

Oh god but it could be really bad.
Please don't suck.

>but I've never played a JRPG.
You've never played pokemon?

Unless she's gone retarded in her brief hiatus, I doubt she'd turn out anything less than good.

It's funny the Main 3 are just beat out emotionally by the other ones. Even the relationship of young Xehanort and Eraqus seems more interesting.

KH isn't a JRPG.

Play Chrono Trigger instead.

I think you'd enjoy Kingdom Hearts 2 and up.
Kingdom Hearts 1 has repetitive space battles that get really annoying.
I mean, I rented the game and only played it for three days (didn't really get anywhere) and I was sick of the space battles everytime I had to go to a different planet.

Kingdom Hearts' RPG mechanics are about as integral to the gameplay as something like Dynasty Warriors.

It's not a JRPG, they haven't actually made those for consoles since early last console generation. I'm pretty sure Lost Odyssey was the last one. Even modern Final Fantasy games aren't JRPG anymore.

KH is an ARPG with a very kinetic, fluid combat system that I really like. The gameplay of the mainline games is top notch. If you like fluid, combo based combat with a happy, bright aesthetic, there's a lot to like here.

The plot isn't appreciably more convoluted than most games, the problem is that it's spread out among a shitload of different spin off games on a magical rainbow of different handhelds. However, the details these contain are either largely disposable or only related to side bosses you probably won't fight anyway unless you're an insane completionist. And if you do care, most of it is now available for PS3 in the 1.5 and 2.5 bundles.

If you're expecting new insights into Disney characters, though, you're probably going to be disappointed. Most of the Disney stuff is abridged rehashes of the movies with tiny little adjustments to force them to fit in with the story of the game. The only world plot that's really noticeably different from its source are the KH1 versions of Nightmare Before Christmas and The Little Mermaid, and the KH2 version of Beauty and the Beast. Everything else is 90% rehash.

You will miss out on some "OH HEY IT'S THAT GUY" moments by not having played the 90s Final Fantasies first, but that's not a huge loss.

Shut up Boco.

They're still part of the gameplay.

>I was sick of the space battles everytime I had to go to a different planet.
You only have to do the space segments when you're going to a new world for the first time. The game gives you an option to skip them after that.

Start out with a good jrpg like SMT or Etrian Odyssey. Then move on to kingdom hearts

Yes sir...

Yeah, but so many genres have RPG mechanics these days that the term "RPG" has come to refer to games where they play a major a part in the game. With Kingdom Hearts, you could cut out all of the levelup and equipment stuff and you'd still have the same, exact game, but with slightly less customization.

>Kingdom Hearts is a thing that exists.
I still can't wrap my brain around it.

You know, somebody who is admittedly new to the genre might not necessarily know all the acronyms, especially ones in Japanese. Does it take that long to type Shin Megami Tensei?

i'm on the phone he could just google smt jrpg and not be a lazy nigger

So? It's still a JRPG regardless. Just because it doesn't follow the strictest guidelines that more traditional games did doesn't mean it can't be counted as such. There's hardly much need to differentiate so much, like how people keep saying Smash isn't a fighting game just because it doesn't play like Street Fighter or Tekken but you're still fighting characters with other characters.

you could cut out equipment i guess, but the stats/ability customization is most of the game. Sora (and the BBS characters) has a shitload of build variety and the most recent titles have you fusing and grinding out abilities. that's rpg mechanics

Some fag from Square Enix was in an elevator with some fag from Disney. They engaged in awkward conversation and realized.

"Oh yeah, we have characters and our buildings are close."

That is actually what happened.

That's stupid. By that logic, Metroid is a JRPG because it comes from Japan and you have at least one statistic that improves. Why have genres at all if their names are so broad and general they can apply to basically any game?

To be fair who would pass up an entry into another exploitable medium?

Because JPRG is technically a blanket term and not a specific genre. Christ almighty, why do you people get so uppity because people call things like KH an RPG?

Its an action RPG. Thats its own genre.

Or you could not be a lazy nigger and put the effort forward. Being on the phone doesn't excuse you from shit you lazy nigger.

You're right, I could not be a lazy nigger.

But I was. And i will be. And ps: fuck you

Lots of people. American media executives are incredibly gunshy about crossovers because american copyright law was created by lunatics for other lunatics exclusively. Why do you think it's so hard to get Super Robot Wars games translated? Why do you think we don't have a Marvel vs DC vs Capcom that would basically be a license to print money?

So long as your acknowledge it I'm proud of you either way.

Fuck you too faggot.

>Why do you think we don't have a Marvel vs DC vs Capcom that would basically be a license to print money?

The heads of Marvel are assholes who hate DC for petty reasons?

Because JRPGs used to be a genre and now because the label has been watered down into a blanket term, we don't get the kind of games the genre used to describe anymore. It's because "JRPG" is allowed to describe ARPGs and adventure games and puzzle games and fucking Mario Tennis that Squeenix feels fine making an action adventure game with some RPG elements and calling it Final Fantasy 15. Because of that, real JRPG gameplay where people stand in a line and take turns selecting commands out of a menu is just not a thing anymore.

So no, you may not have that word. That word means a specific thing that we would like back, please.

>So no, you may not have that word. That word means a specific thing that we would like back, please.

Get over yourself.

I love jrpg's but you are such a huge fucking faggot holy shit. Please stop posting.

gg easy

Misusing phrases does not prove your point, at all.

sorry to break it to you, but jrpgs aren't around because rpg elements got added to other games

jrpgs aren't around because AAA games are so expensive and turn based combat is and always has been a niche

there were a million people around to buy Final Fantasy 7 and there are a million people around to buy turn based RPGs today, you just need more than a million people to make a AAA game, that's why persona is low budget as fuck

>turn based combat is and always has been a niche
>there were a million people around to buy Final Fantasy 7

Final Fantasy 7 sold 10 million copies. It's the second highest selling PS1 game behind Gran Turismo.

>Because of that, real JRPG gameplay where people stand in a line and take turns selecting commands out of a menu is just not a thing anymore.
Why are you complaining about JRPGs if you don't even play them? Try Bravely Default, Legend of Heroes, and World of Final Fantasy. WoFF was a preemptive apology for FF15 to fans who like turn-based. Also Persona 5 in a couple months.

>I like Disney a lot
>Would I like Kingdom Hearts?
Ditch it and play the platformers instead.

back when jrpgs also had the edge of technical achievement

turn based is too niche to support the budget required of being a technical showpiece. FF7's remake is an action game for exactly that reason, you can't release a turn based game that costs that much. nobody would like it.

>Bravely Default,
Have it, love it. I said they were still available for handhelds a few times upthread.

>Legend of Heroes
Have it, it's okay.

>World of Final Fantasy
Saw the name and assumed it was some cash grab pseudo MMO let me just google some footage...

No. NO.

>Persona 5
Okay, this looks promising. I'm glad to see there's at least one hold out.

>you can't release a turn based game that costs that much. nobody would like it.

Based on what? There wasn't even really a high profile failure of a JRPG, they just kind of stopped making them.

>WoFF was a preemptive apology
Sounds more like a sorry-but-not-sorry

there doesn't have to be a hindenburg of a jrpg to point to. jrpgs didn't all go handheld at the same time for no reason, it's becasue they were cheaper to make. Every big rpg turned into an action game as the budgets went higher. these aren't coincidences.

Right do you remember a game called FFXIII?
Is that battle system not what you're talking about? You select from a menu to make the character do a thing for you? Is that what you want it to go back to because literally that, alongside the brain dead story was made me stop playing it.

Maybe not in the states, but Japan still eats up a lot of oldschool shit no problem. Just look at Dragon Quest, that has been going on for longer than most people posting here have been alive, and Japan treats it with nearly the same level of love and endearment as Dragon Ball.

>Why do you think we don't have a Marvel vs DC vs Capcom that would basically be a license to print money?
I assume the problem isn't that it would too little print money but how the money would be split up.

No, FF12 and 13 were where it all went wrong. With a real JRPG you control a whole party with menus in a turn based battle. In FF12 and 13 you control just one character with a menu while things keep happening in real time so you have to run around and navigate the menu at the same time, while all your party members just do their own thing based on what you setup in the menu rather than being under your direct control. See also: Xenoblade, Magna Carta, and Ni No Kuni

The last real JRPG Final Fantasy game was 10.

Japan isn't a big enough market to support titles with massive budgets anymore though. Gotta aim globally.

This. It's why there won't be a Roger Rabbit II any time soon (and not just because of the loss of Bob, may he rest in peace), because Disney and Warner Bros would never be able to reach the kind of compromise they did all those years ago. You'd sooner have a live-action Kingdom Hearts with some kid actor teaming up with CG Donald and Goofy than something with Mickey and Bugs being a pair of dicks to some actor running through a cartoon world, that's made of already aged looking CGI.

You do know that Dragon Quest 9 was a handheld and Dragon Quest 10 was an MMO, right?

user that's far too anal when you categorize a singular section of turn-based RPG as JRPG

DQ9 being a handheld doesn't change squat. It was still a proper DQ game like 8 was.

but they had a musou that did really well, showing it wasn't necessarily the old school combat as it was the medium in question.

>And if you do care, most of it is now available for PS3 in the 1.5 and 2.5 bundles.
worth mentioning we're getting a PS4 port of those at the end of March

Yeah, that's probably more accurate.

The Musou game was just a spinoff, just like the recent Minecraft-like game they did. Not like it's really new for a series to branch out with its IP into other genres. Hell, some people forget that RE7 is not the first time RE had games played in a first-person perspective.

The games are really good, but if you want to be able to follow the plot, you'll have to actually research shit. If you like awesome boss fights, I'd definitely recommend it, the Disney aspect gets pushed aside in later games to focus on KH lore, though.

it was the last time we'll ever see xenogears and they didn't even name the move he does correctly

Way to kick the fans when they're down.

Seems weird how they spaced it and 2.8 so far apart. You'd think they'd want to get newcomers onboard really quick.

Not to mention it's even weirder how they've still left Xbox owners in the dirt with no way to catch up on the story other than getting a PS3 or 4, or using youtube to watch the 15 or so hours of story.

>The Musou game was just a spinoff
It's the second best selling game on the PSN in japan, they don't give a fuck

As a xenogears fan and an einhander fan i'm just glad we got something.

Shame about the lack of parasite eve.

Guys, this tweet was made today, what does it mean?

Some fucker at Arby's has too much time during their shift.