How would you feel about a Kickstarter/Patreon-funded Homestar Runner revitalization?

How would you feel about a Kickstarter/Patreon-funded Homestar Runner revitalization?

Other urls found in this thread:

io9.gizmodo.com/an-oral-history-of-homestar-runner-the-internets-favor-1791519879
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Maybe interested? The site gave me a lot of entertainment back in my younger days, for free, so I suppose it deserves a contribution from me if such a thing were to ever happen.

As long as its strongbad-centric as it should be.

Sure

the brothers chaps don't need more money, they need to stop being given MORE money to do other things by other people who have more money.. because they enjoy the variety

or maybe like.. once the kids are grown, they'll have more free time? but as I recall, the hiatus started in the first place due to more babby, which makes no sense because internet-cartoons is the best way to make enough money to pay for a kid while also spending most of your time close to them, saving on babysitters, etc.

>animation is the best wayt o make enough money to pay for a kid while also spending most of your time close to them

WEB animation. the kind you do yourself from home, instead of working in a studio.
they did rent an office at one point but it was right near home, and it looked like a really fun place. and they still did some of it from home

>Still thinking as an animator you make enough money

yes to both honestly

They recently did an interview that addresses why they quit.

io9.gizmodo.com/an-oral-history-of-homestar-runner-the-internets-favor-1791519879

okay you're not really listening to me
the brothers chaps made mad huge money on homestar, without even having ads.
so for them to stop making more because they had to care for the kids makes little sense, since any other job in the world requires you to spend more time AWAY from the family.
and indeed matt moved to california for a while and I believe his family didn't move with him right away

>We always knew our business model was temporary. Everyday it was like, “We’re on borrowed time here, there’s just no way to make a living off of this, because it’s unsustainable.” We didn’t want to start selling ads, and this was before the era of Kickstarter or Patreon and other ways of artists monetizing directly from their audience.

It's a little ironic, Homestar is one of the few internet shows I could see myself actually giving money to.

You should really read this article They were making money but it sounds like it wasn't sustainable, not to mention that they were staying up multiple days in a row to get the cartoons finished on time.

If you complain about Homestar being gone but don't watch Two More Eggs then you have no business whining. It's something that they are actually enjoying doing after being in a creative rut with Homestar for so long and it has their brand of humor all over it.

Holy shit, the Stroganauts were 3d printed? I was wondering how they made that shit. I wonder if Gankroar was too

doesn't sound like that to me. they just say "we needed more jobs" but didn't say why. multiple times in interviews before that, they said the merch money was way more than they needed. what's more they let the merch dry up when EVERYONE wanted more of the sold-out shit

the burnout bit, i get though. you can tell around the time of 'dictionary' that they were running a bit thin and kinda retreading the already re-recorded-over meta-tape up their own asses

Two More Eggs is my absolute jam. my jamtape. my jamblebears.

Must have really sucked for them when they ran out of steam.

in my experience (not MY experience, but my experience with other self-publishing creators), it's really easy to just slip out of the habit of updating.. it still feels like you've been doing it consistently, there's nobody pushing you

They already revived it, but it only updates every so often.

I'd give my life savings to fund a Homestar Runner movie, though.

Yeah, I would attribute the main reason to them quitting is just getting incredibly burned out after doing it consistently for a decade. Their heart just wasn't in it at that point, and I respect them for stopping rather than letting the quality of both their work and their life decline. I wish they had just come right out and ended it proper rather than leaving their fans hanging for so long though.

indeed
still, that's the internet way.. and homestar has always been a pioneer on the ol' series of tubes.

I don't know if I'd want this. People always talked about Homestar getting a movie or a tv show but honestly I think it works best in the format of 5-10 minute shorts. That's not to say that a movie couldn't be good necessarily, but who knows if the brothers could stretch that comedy out to 90 minutes and have it still be as funny.

what would a homestar movie even be about?
honestly when it comes to longform homstertainment, I feel ilke the telltale games were perfect.
not so much in pacing, obviously, which honestly hurts the comedy, but in terms of the actual story. It's really neat watching strong bad slowly but surely pull one of his biggest cons ever on homestar, then the KoT, then have the con turn BACK on him and have to fix it all, then play a huge Risk LARP with everyone, and then have a big battle of the bands judged remotely by limozeen, FINALLY getting around to making Dangeresque 3 and going through all the troubles of writing and shooting it all and then writing more on the fly (As you solve things), and finally going inside the videogame dimension and finally getting to be the hero he always wanted and fighting trogdor. it was goddamn epic.

>what would a homestar movie even be about
Just Homestarrunner world being homestar world?

>I think it works best in the format of 5-10 minute shorts.
>who knows if the brothers could stretch that comedy out to 90 minutes

Why not make a 90 minute movie out of a bunch of smaller shorts?

for 90 fucking minutes?
oh, i see.
yeah, that kind of homestar movie would be great...
but it would also be called 'the website'. like just.. just hit rando 10 times, there's your movie.
or even better, go to the wiki, and pull up a bunch of toons with a common theme

This could work. Maybe a bunch of shorts that all have a running gag in them (ala the DNA evidence) and then they all come together at the end for a longer short.

but I still have trouble imagining it being more than a half hour or so. like a homestar TV special like peanuts used to have. I think they'd appreciate the parallel

Homestar is made with decade old symbols and motion tweets at 12 frames per second, it's not grueling work.

Two More Eggs is like Homestar without the loveable characters. It's just not the same.

They probably didn't want to end it because that's so absolute. Their new cartoons are great and they haven't skipped a beat. I'd prefer they making a cartoon when they feel like it rather than it being over for good.

I could see where you were coming from, if that were true. like how Histeria was like animaniacs without the lovable characters

but keep watching. you'll fall in love with hector and kovitch, jordy, the CGI palz, joshow and joshow junior.. and possibly dooble, but i'm not holding my breath there

Eh, Josho and Coach Z are both pretty endearing.

I imagine a Homestar movie would be like the Aqua Teen movie. Just the same thing, except longer.

I'd like it to be more like the first SpongeBob movie, where it's a genuine adventure that wraps everything up while still having the flavor of the original series.

never saw that. what was it like?

>Histeria was like animaniacs without the lovable characters
>no love for Charity Bazaar or Big Fat Baby

literally just a name pun and a diaper joke with a funny voice

two more eggs is fucking terrible
i have no idea how they managed to make something so bad, and i went in with the mindset of 'the brothers chaps made this, it's going to be amazing'

no, that would be harg nallin sclopio peepio
2 more eggs is fantastic

I like 2ME but I thought it started out horribly with that obnoxiously repetitive Dooble song. He's the only part I actively dislike. Everything else is good to great.

Miss Information? Father Time? Toast?

>ywn watch Homestar Runner for the first time again

What waa your first experience with them?

Oh nice, a gawkerish related thing that doesn't make me want to slit my wrists

like so many, t'was Japanese Cartoon and then Dragon. that was a double whammy that pulled me right in
though before someone had linked me the sbemail menu, i wasn't exactly enthralled by the earliest sbemails. I didn't get it yet, and there wasn't as much to get

Terrible idea, as are most "revivals".

what if it was like the brady bunch movie, totally ironic and self-aware affectionate parody?

They've said time and time again they aren't doing a movie. It's just too long a format.

A friend in middle school was begging us to watch it.

For some reason the name Homestar Runner conjured up in my head an image of an MTV cartoon about a black basketballer.

I started on the 'first time here' button and started with the suggested 'Jorb Well Done'

I remember laughing uncontrollably with the guy who insisted I watch it in the first place watching Dangeresque Too

It's not just a matter of money, it's more a question of do they Bros Chaps want to go back to doing that full time?

Personally I'm satisfied with a couple new shorts every years, better than running it into the ground.

That said, if they started a patreon, they would make bank.

>For some reason the name Homestar Runner conjured up in my head an image of an MTV cartoon about a black basketballer.
Daria did that with me. For years I dismissed it whenever I saw it in the channel guide, assuming it was the same as Moesha

Peaking over my older brother's shoulder to watch him screw around in a main menu

>toons
>Games!
>EEmayull

>Strong Bad was modeled on their older brother

cool

you mean Mad right
they said he was based on Donnie kinda
they make a lot of references to him. but then they have another older brother right?

>That time in 'imaginary' when Strong Bad referred to Strong Sad as Strong Bad
i dont even know what to think about that one

My older brother showed me it one day around Christmas time. I can't remember what he showed me first but I know we watched Lookin at a Thing in a Bag so it must have been 2003 or 2004.

There was a story about it in the paper. This was the day before I went off to Canadian Space Camp, so I wasn't able to check out that many cartoons until later.