The Long Halloween

>The Long Halloween
>One of the most celebrated Batman minis
>ripoff of the Godfather

>Gotham Central
>Arguably best Gotham-based run
>ripoff of the Wire

Should Batman writers just start ripping off other crime dramas? Will we see a Gotham Rogues' series that's a ripoff of Goodfellas?

Don't get me wrong, I love the Godfather and The Wire, but the similarities are really damn blatant at times.

Batman usually leans towards urban pulp and mystery styled stories, so it makes sense they would seem like other urban pulp and mystery stories. There are only so many variations on the base plotlines human creativity has to offer.

isn't the wire just ripoff of hillstreet blues?

None of them are a rip-off of the others, they're just all in the gritty police genre so they share numerous tropes. If they're ripping off anybody, it's probably some book series from the 30s or something.

user that's impossible, no one watched The Wire when it originally aired.

>Will we see a Gotham Rogues' series that's a ripoff of Goodfellas?

>Riddler as Henry
>Two-Face as Jimmy
>Joker as Tommy
>Penguin as Paulie

I could dig it

Sure. Batman's first story was a lift of a Shadow story.

This is reminding me of that time when that one talented artist who did these humorous fan comics with Batman and the Robins and a baby Terry did a tribute to Batman's anniversary or something and tried to criticize Morrison for recycled ideas and I'm wondering, "did you even know Batman history is made up of recycled ideas?"

>tfw Batman vs. Fantomas never

Closest we got was Batman vs. Grendel but honestly I'd love to see Batman take on the world's first super-criminal

>Sure. Batman's first story was a lift of a Shadow story.
Didn't they almost get sued for that?

I have never understood what's the appeal of Gotham Central. I mean, I get the appeal in theory (Gotham world-building, showing how cops work in a crazy city like that, etc) but the execution just feels really dull to me.

I thought Long Halloween was a play on A Christmas Carol. ..

Batman himself is just Sherlock Holmes wrapped up with Zorro. A lot of great cape comics have a lot of homage.

the appeal is that it's a crime story, written by brubaker and rucka
that's it

>brubaker and rucka
Well, I fucking hate Greg "I write boring stories and even more characters" Rucka with a passion so I guess I miss half of the appeal.

But you don't have to directly quote The Godfather constantly.

even more boring*

The Long Halloween is overrated. The Holiday "mystery" is stupid and makes no sense.

Haven't read Gotham Central yet. What are some of the similarities to The Wire?

>tfw I did
>tfw I didn't like it back then
After rewatching it I did though.

I don't think there was any news about that.

And if Green Arrow needs to copy Batman's stories does that mean we get ripoffception?

Other than being gritty cop dramas with corruption and a seeming sense of hopelessness abound, not much. I guess you could say Montoya's like Kima, but Kima never had any angst over being a lesbian like Renee did.

both boring

Ripoffception is basically the name of the game in the entertainment industry these days.

>having taste this shit