Will we ever have a comic about modern military vs fantasy armies??

I mean marines using dakka to tear through knights' armor like cheap dollar store tissue, popping mages' heads with a sniper bullet, dropping tactical nukes on dragons, and getting blowjobs from big tittied elves.

Kinda sad that Gate is the only one doing this and it's all Japanese teabagging

Other urls found in this thread:

systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/modern/smack/weapons.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Japanese teabagging- 0 post shown.
I assume you mean moe and/or cocktease ecchi shit.

Why don't you learn to write/draw and make it yourself?

GATE is fucking shit, though. I don't know why anyone would want anything to do with that.

This. Fuck GATE. What a steaming pile of shit.

I think he means that the author is very much in the NIPPON STRONK camp

Edgy.

I liked Drifters better.

I've thought about the reverse from time to time.. like, what would happen if modern tech was brought into a magical setting and had to follow its rules
like if you loaded a fire wand into the ammo port of a gun, would it start shooting fire bullets?

Why are we copying the "Normal person dies and because a badass in a fantasy world" thing?

There was a /tg/ campaign about that. It's on 1d4chan too.

>Be dude.
>Click a link which opens a portal.
>Dude does so and a portal appears.
>Grabs some of shit and walks into it.
>Gets stranded with a bunch of other people who followed the link.
>Begin a journey of betrayal, exploitation and finding a magical mean of making ammo for a handgun he got.

there is kinda.

pax romana by hickman

I've ran a few campaigns straight 3.0/3.5 DND and had modern weapons and information cribbed/- taken from modern handbooks and stuff.

There usually ends up being a lot of yelling.
Like, for example, in most handbooks,a longsword does 1d8 points of damage. A standard issue 9MM, does 2d6.

systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/modern/smack/weapons.html

Considering the average non-adventuring human being has 10 HP, it sounds legit.

But then when magic gets involved, people start asking about damage reduction, about how magic and tech interact, ect.

Doomfarers. Of coramonde.
A novel from 20 years ago.
It kicks

Damage dice are irrelevant in 3rd edition since anyone attacking with a weapon has some way to add a static +20 to damage by stacking various modifiers.

NO.

Gate is a fucking terrible mess full of plotholes and waifu-bait. A horribly written power fantasy from a military otaku. And based on a goddamned webnovel which is Japanese newspeak for bloody awful fanfic, written with about the same ability and quality as your average fanfic.net author.

Basically it's bad and you should feel bad.

>modern military in a fantasy world? sounds great, I'm all in for this
>it's a fucking harem anime
For fuck's sake

>unironically reading Gate

user please don't do this to yourself

Wasnt this anime just a massive advert for the NDF?

>Anime/manga with a decent premise begins
>First few chapters explaining and laying out the premise are pretty good
>Shortly thereafter it veers directly into stupid harem tropes or MC power wanking

Why does this always happen? Does Japan just have no idea how to carry a story?

>Dude tries to make a manga
>sets out a decent premise and world
>Not getting the sales it needs to keep being printed
>Add popular harem shit and MC power wanking
>Sales skyrocket

Same reason why cape comics are all the fucking same. It sells.

This story was originally a bloody fanfic. The MC was a ridiculous author self insert for his personal power fantasy trip.

Which also explains the waifus.

Basically, yeah

>MC is author's self insert
>In a story where an immortal goddess with an 11 year old's body wants to fuck the MC

Well it IS Japan, Chris

Yeah, I've run into this way too often over the last few years. It keeps happening because it's what sells- nobody wants well-written stories, they want a wish fulfillment fantasy with a bland protagonist they can project themselves onto who is best at everything and also gets all the girls.

>Copying

A Princess of Mars did it literally more than a hundred years ago complete with John Carter having to go through a near death experience to get to Mars/

Gate is just Nips jerking off to imagining how nice it would be to have a military that wasn't complete shit. It's them projecting their crushed and broken masculinity. They don't even dare imagine fighting the Chinese or Koreans so they imagine themselves fighting literal fantasy people instead.

It's that sad and pathetic.

And Fables did the "what would happen if the military invaded LOTR" a decade before Gate to answer your question OP.

I've always been more interested in seeing a fantasy world that's out of its medieval period and into the modern world.

Always had this image of trolls lugging around those big automatic grenade launchers, for some reason.

Is there anything like this out?

nobody wants to do that because its boring
the modern jap military completely wipes the medieval people
the only reason japs like it is because there are alot of right wing nationalists that jack off to JSDF STRONK and have to use this fantasy war because japan is banned from fighting in foreign wars due to ww2

the west wants to see a challenge not a steam roll
thats why in western media the modern military fights monsters and aliens that are stronger than mankind
examples; aleins, predator, war of the worlds, starship troopers, etc...

Shadowrun.

This is why you do something like 1632: have a modern military trapped in the past/a medieval analog world. They've got their knowledge, tech, and general difference in cultural mores and perspectives, but they're not getting any support from home. Their consumables will run out eventually, so they need to both conserve and find a way to replenish their stocks using the available resources and machinery. You can fine tune the story based on how easy you want to make them able to do that, vis-a-vis how well they actually know how to make their tech from the ground up. And on how much of the chain of command and/or other personnel get dragged along. Mix in culture shock from modern military culture for some fun too. You've got some officers, but those officers might be too young incompetents placed in charged of people more experienced than them, and a lot of grunts who are, well, grunts. And with the way the modern military churns out head cases, you've got your character arcs right there.

And while all this is going on, they're getting swarmed and wined and dined by every power that realizes just what these lunkheads have dropped into their world with. Military tactical and strategic skill alone might make them valuable to everyone. You can plug and play whatever sort of political system or plot you want. Big war going on? Do they establish their own side or party up with one of the locales? Is finding a way home a plot point or will the story focus more on them trying to survive where they are.

It's rare the idea that can't be properly spun into a good story. Except maybe harem shit. Fuck that.

drifters sort of has this but rather than having diminishing supplies it has them making guns and shit from the ground up

It's retarded, so no.

I sort of didn't consider Drifters, primarily because it's a completely different ballpark than something like what OP seems to want. Sure, it's got people in a magic world, even more modern soldiers and tech eventually. But it's also completely fucking insane and the big bad is literally Jesus, King of the Orcs. It'd be like someone asking for a story examining how actual Vampire's might affect the world, WWZ style, and then someone suggests Hellsing.

Still good, but not really what the person was probably thinking of.

>ran a reverse gate game in dnd.
>week friend got angry when the high level orc big bad single handedly slaughtered the JSDF

Humanity, Fuck Yeah is boring and its fans don't understand fiction.

It's cool, but only when it's earned. There needs to be struggle.

A lot of the sentiment on here seems to be wanting to see humanity portrayed as a Mary Sue military fascist race, basically. That's pretty dull and if you want to see that you can just read Starship Troopers anyway.

A mary sue fascist race might have actually been interesting since we'd see the struggles of the other side as rally against us. Instead gate decided to bog itself down with politics the author doesn't even understand and the Japanese merely leaned fascist while pretending they weren't.

WH10K?

I'm more of a trying-to-make-a-spiritual-successor-to-Ugly Americans kind of guy. With various fantasy races stranded in Southeast Michigan and trying to adjust in modern society

Ecchi or Harem don't really sale well at all, manga wise at least.

>Southeast Michigan
why imagine it? Detroit is already full of animals and monsters

Every military comic nowadays is either written by Ennis or has some stupid "supernatural twist". It's fucking retarded.

>dakka to tear through knights' armor like cheap dollar store tissue
You've been beaten in school a lot, didn't you?

>GATE
>Military VS Fantasy

NOPE. It was more modern warfare Vs ancient rome warfare.

All the relevant Fantasy elements were allied with the Japanese.

Enemy has ogres, that are just big monster that dies with some shots, enemy has flying wyverns, they are just lizards.

BUT random demihuman can detect enemy units without equipment is on the Japanese side, Gothic lolita demigod that can withstand bullets is on the Japanese side, Elf that can put to sleep an entire garrison with a spell is on the Japanese side.

"Military vs Fantasy" is what it wanted to sell, but actually it was "Military & Fantasy Vs ancient rome".

FF15?

Zipang is a bit closer to this, it's a manga too but it's not a complete Nippon wank.

Its more of a sign that author thinks JSDF is willing to actually use locals and axillary.
Then again, GATE world is weird.

I fucking hate GATE because it has so much wasted potential and will probably halt the production of similar stories for some time

>ywn be a WW1 pilot stranded in some generic fantasy world plane included
>ywn find some weird magical way to power your kite
>ywn hunt dragons and other mythical beasts for sport
What's the point?

i think woud be cool, if after both world crash we have a jump of like 30 years, wheres the fantasy world now have acess to the tecnology stuff , and them some mage learn how to use guns and magic together.

>I only watched the anime and didnt read the manga

Don't give wizards guns, they can't be trusted.

The manga, the light novel even the web novel is compleate shit and is a waste of the genre

Poppy O'Possum, Bloodborne, several FF games too.

Maybe if the author hadn't have written himself into a corner by having the JSDF curbstomp everything immediately he'd have a more to work with. However, eventually you'd have to address the politics of it as modern military fighting fantasy armies can only go on for so long before it gets repetitive.

i think they sponsored the second season or something

There was still plenty of room for improvement. The mind control magic being utilized effectively despite drone bombings countering it would have been an avenue.
The gods turning out to be anti-technology spread was (as far as I know) almost completely ignored.
The JSDF curbstomping everyone back on Earth was a major downhill slide since it removed players from the story that would have actually made a difference or given proper conflict in favor of going nippon stronk when anyone with half a brain knows they're just America's bitch militarily. We had an actual WWIII level spark happen and it's shut down to let Japan exploit more natural resources than possibly exists on planet Earth without any true objection. The politics of that alone if the author wasn't so good at mangling them could easily have been interesting.

There's even the fact that if any of the diplomats at the UN meeting had properly gotten any details of what's going on from the natives via properly asking questions the entire plot would have gone differently. The Natives could have found out they're being swindled for more than the gdp of their entire dimension and everyone else could have found out the Japanese were going around literally swinding entire nations of their valuables. A competent diplomat on the native's end could have abused this last point to hell and back. Instead NotRome got incompetent chucklefucks with no understanding of propaganda or diplomacy despite such basic concepts long existing.
I reiterate. There is entirely room for a compelling story even when mankind is written as Mary Sue curbstompers. You just have to actually be slightly clever instead of making the opposition retarded/incompetent as is commonly the case in many of these stories. We all remember the stories where the villains were somewhat competent in some form and rarely where the enemy was too stupid to function.

This. There should have been people on all sides who try to gain or try to achive their goals. In the split of the senate was in no way used to it's full potential. There could have been nobeles who try to safe their empire and use diplomancy but at the same time there could have been some in the same team that only try to make a profit for themselfs. Then we have the loyalist who still see the Japs as evil enemies.
This would be put on the next level as soon as other countries of our world get in to make their alliences etc.

You could have shit like the USA and various countries sanctioning Japan for essentially conquering another nation and making it their territory. Or the fact that the GATE universe is at a pre-gunpowder level and Japan would need to sink a massive amount of their economy for years just trying to build the infrastructure necessary to economically exploit it.

I'm gonna just keep on spouting random stuff now to continue things that could have happened.
There could have been an actual refugee/immigration crisis as the inhabitants suddenly realize that even the most poor and destitute of Earth nations tend to be better off than anyone in their world. America could have been taking in harpies, elves, catgirls, by the truckload. The harpy girls can sense earthquakes/weather. That is insanely useful to the tune of billions of dollars spent to do what one random chick can do naturally. Wrong weather predictions can cost an economy millions/billions. That's the sort of difference just one random family allowed to emigrate can do. A single American with immigration papers and a photocopier could have torn Japan's conquest an entirely new asshole.

I'm just curious
Does Nips even have somewhat good army?
I don't remember them participating in any military action. I guess they probably have somwhat good navy and maybe well trained infantry armed both with guns and 1000 folded katanas. But they still depend on their American sovereign I-I mean friend. American friend

They're a token force and as far as I know it is hated by many Japanese for whatever reason

Thus my Ugly Americanesque fiction
imagine the animal themed NFL teams having beastmen in their ranks.

It's a well-equipped, relatively small (39th in the world by size), force with no real combat experience whose primary job is disaster relief and, as pointed out, somewhat controversial in its operation and even existence.

>animal themed NFL teams
that would be cool
but don't forget those dark elves, they're literary boysband material. 4 of those guys could easily became top celebrity on the global scale.

They have no "army". They explicitly are forbidden from having an actual army by the terms of their conquest by the USA and the resultant constitution of Japan.
What you are thinking of is a well armed disaster relief and neighbourhood watch organization. They also refuse to make the JDSF stronger because America foots the bill for Japan's defense and they'd rather mooch off of the US than maintain a defense force that can actually deal with the closest threat. They'd also lose the additional deterrent of any attack on Japan being an attack on american forces so it's a bunch of effort to be worse off should they make it actually capable of war within the region.
We hammered an anti-war stance into Japan pretty hard post-war whether it be intentionally or just from them recalling how much it fucking sucks to be on the losing side and knowing how lucky they are we weren't going to raze them to the ground.

>marines
>dakka
Greenskin pls

The current government of Japan has been increasingly calling for the restrictions lifted and expanding the military due to China.

Shitty genre is shitty.

It's good when done right. Which is from westerns most of the time. Japanese just have shit taste

anyone got those russian novels translated?

What ruski novels?

>yfw Trump helps Japan re militarize
>yfw they deploy real life gundams

God I wish

Shit taste
K-On blows

Warhammer 40k. Warmahordes.

>Globalist angle
KYS

I know it doesn't count but I like how Log Horizon went with the idea of modern people being tossed in fantasy land. Yeah, it was a fantasy MMO world, with game mechanics like different character classes, and how only people with certain abilities could do any crafting without messing it up. But it was nice to see how they made a steam engine with ingame resources, and later use it to power a navy cruiser. I haven't read the novels (yet) but wodun't be surprised if the adventurers were enable to make tanks or gunpowder based weapons.

Thanks for info, now I understand why Japan decided to be economic powerhouse so much.
There are CheekiBreeki novels?

Discworld.
Industrial Revolution

>with game mechanics
This is an instant drop for me. Sadly almost every single newer isekai story uses this as an excuse for almost one worldbuilding or magic system

Log Horizon is one of the few that gets it right. They're literally stuck in a game and have access to a lot of game mechanics and UI and such but have to figure out how to build a functioning society based on those limitations.

The only thing that bugs me about LH is that it ironically avoids something that almost every other "stuck in an RPG" story doea better: the characters in LH are barely distressed by the fact that they're stuck in a game, treat it as an inconvenience, and then just go "oh well better make the most of it" with very few characters putting much thought into how it happened or how they can return. They just kind of take it as a given and roll with it, which is kind of bizarre

Oh god!
I want to see the JDSF opening a gate to an Ork world.

Even if it were a feral ork world with no mekboyz. That would give them a chance.

Of lasting a full two minutes.

Too bad that they made the ninja a loli.

Episodes centering around her and the girl from the kids table squad and their nonexistent love triangle with the MC were the worst

What's the image from?

i wonder if people would complain if you replaced the JSDF with the american army.

that said, GATE is bad simply because the cast is a mix of moeshit cliches and average guys with the personality of a potus,

You answered yourself

Pretty sure I stopped on one of those. Then again, that, the part where he resurrects an NPC into a player and that one guy hitting on the NPC princess is all I remember.

Some animation studio showing Miyazaki this weird animation program that makes people crawl in bizarre ungainly ways. They suggested it could be used to animate zombies or other creatures. Miyazaki wasn't impressed with a program that basically generates random movement.

America fuck yeah only brings you so far and like you said everything is plain and shit so it would get called out at it really quick aswell.
If everything else would be good and without cheap anime tropes it could be whatever army they wank

It's how Ganzt got along

Every time there was a dip in sales he'd add more tits and ass

/tg/ had the covers for the novels

>There are CheekiBreeki novels?
I heard they were good and a better story about a modern army in a fantasy realm

I like the fusion of undead/fantasy armies combined with modern/future tech fighting in a version of hell.

According to /tg/, it's literally the same thing as G.A.T.E., just with a different country. It came up in a Stalker thread that Russia has a bunch of those stories too.

>tfw no "Fantasy armies invade Earth and win"

tried looking in desu only to have broken image links

As a Russian I can tell you ,that they are a source of "nonsense" humor,but nothing more.

the 1632 books are pretty pulpy and gleeful, but you could do a lot worse. when they're impervious, they talk about the corrupting effect of it; the technological advantage is recognized as fragile and temporary; they have a goal beyond "be a badass".

they also have a political backdrop with real texture to it; it's not just "three guys fighting over the throne", or "the bad guys are bad". you already know what germany, england, france, the middle east, the new world, etc. are. it can piggyback on the worldbuilding of the actual world.

i'm not sure if factions in the japanese court, let alone a fantasy setting court, could replace that as easily. mining actual history really helps you avoid that manga plot black hole where you run out of facets in the world and just have waifus or power levels from then on.

It advances in terms of troop movements, improvised technology, repurposed magic and fantasy race skills, and tactical management of extreme culture shock. Sounds to me like it totally qualifies.