Will the show ever top this scene?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XWUxdNgvT-8
youtube.com/watch?v=oWtkofUmGiw
adventuretime.wikia.com/wiki/Jesse_Moynihan
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They already have,

youtube.com/watch?v=XWUxdNgvT-8

In all seriousness no. Nothing will be as emotionally resonant as this moment and the last minute of the episode of Stephen cheering up Pearl with this music playing: youtube.com/watch?v=oWtkofUmGiw

By doing a similar sex scene, but with Lapis as a third partner

It always tops it self just when you think it can't get any more shitty.

This episode actually made me hate Pearl a lot. She basically left Steven to die. Shit mother.

If you had to live with Steven for long periods of time you'd want him to die too.

well she did raise her wife's son

And then they made me hate her permanently after the hotel splurging episode.

>Shit mother
Yeah, the point is she's not a mother. She barley understands what a mother is. She has no idea how her relationship with Steven is supposed to work and she trying desperately to figure it out all while trying to find an all new meaning for her own life as well.

Nothing in SU is emotional becomes they never give time for emotions to build. Characters go happy > sad > happy again in 5 minutes.

Well, granted that 5 minutes is half an episode.

You do kinda need to Draw your own conclusions from their backstory and behavior to get a feel for where the characters are at emotionally. Otherwise their outbursts do seem to come out of nowhere.

That's sort of how emotional outbursts are.

You can thank CN for pushing the 11-minute episode format for like all their shows.

That's partly because Steven is mentally challenged. The kid is old enough to be in high school and yet he regularly acts like he's in elementary school.

I mean to put it in perspective, Aang from Avatar was two years younger than him and he's the same age as Katara.

He's literally retarded.

>Wife

Get the fuck off Sup Forums, Pearl

She's complete shit

>steven is the same age as katara

holy shit

Blame his upbringing. Most of his life he's been raised by alien beings who live forever. Not the best group to develop your sense societal norms from.

Blaming Steven for the shit Sug rammed up his ass. I'm still salty that the Steven from the first Season 1 episodes is gone. He was just a fat kid being awkwardly raised by 3 aliens, not this hyper-sensitive crybaby they turned him into after the show was out for a while and they found a decent sized audience. Even his voice changed. No one seems to remember

Why didn't they just make him younger?

Also did they ever explain the reason he isn't in school? Cause that clearly backfired

Is there any male on this show that isn't a bad role model? I mean his dads a crapshoot, the uncle was a jackass, the mayor sucks, literally the only person shown to be a good dad was the boat guy AND HE DOESNT TALK

Yeah, he's not stupid. His gem is keeping him young and his education has been patchy at best.

Greg is a fantastic role model. It's the gems who have no fucking clue how to raise a child. Whenever Steven does't know what to do, he always goes to his Dad for advice, because he knows he can't count on the gems for shit.

Greg is a cool dude. When his magic alien wife "died" he stuck around. He could have given Steven to the gems and ran but he didn't. Also, he's basically a millionaire now... low-key though... super low-key.

>Greg is a fantastic role model.
The dead beat barely raised his son and had a dead career as a car washer before they went deus ex machina with him becoming a millionaire.

I wish this show was about Greg and the gems rather than Steven.

Yes when it ends

Don't you dare go after Mr. "I wooed a magic rock lesbian with rock and roll" Universe. He has 100 in speech skill and all of his character points in charisma, luck, and wisdom. He even managed to charm a Diamond. He's a space bard. Don't cross him.

>The dead beat barely raised his son

I mean, this is just incorrect. He raised him for all his formative years and only handed him over to the gems so they could teach him about gem stuff. Even after that he stayed around and supported Steven both financially and emotionally. His "career" as a car washer is irrelevant to his parenting skills.

Steven is a nice boy.
I like Steven.

I wish it was about Connie. The only reason steven is important is become he was born as a half gem half human. He's got no other redeeming qualities unless you count the autistic empathy he has

The gems don't teach him shit. He discovers almost all of his powers by accident. They just babysit him for most of the show.

>The gems don't teach him shit. He discovers almost all of his powers by accident.
Which is really stupid because he has the exact same powerset as Rose. You'd think Rose's BFFs would be the perfect ones to teach him how to use his powers.

>autistic empathy
That's an oxymoron.

That's.... actually a good point. They had no idea how to help him with the bubble or floating, him being able to fuse was a surprise, they didn't know he had Rose's sword, or hell even how to use the room.

... what did the gems actually teach him?

Rose hid shit from them too. Besides, CGs wouldn't be able to teach Steven Rose Quatrz abilities since they don't have that powerset.

Yeah but I get the sense she was more their Gandalf, they knew her well but they weren't exactly experts. Also, there has never been a Gem/Human hybrid.

Connie is really plays off Steven though. If it was about Connie, it would be no different from the YA books the show references.

That was the point of my earlier post. For all the talk of a supposed lack of male role models, there is a severe lack of female role models.

>... what did the gems actually teach him?
Nothing. They touch him nothing. Steven is a bumbling idiot until he falls ass backwards into a power and everyone is shocked and don't know what to do and he slowly figures it out and then everyone ignores it like nothing happens by the next episode.

His powers have to be the laziest power progression I can think of any hero character.

Misha please.

Yeah sort of, although that really depends on how it's expressed. Know ur sppectrims man!!!!

Why did people abandon AT for this? That show is far superior to this garbage.

I don't know about that, Connie shows dedication to adventuring that most YA characters don't. Most YA characters refuse the call until the villain spits in their eye or like, murders all their parents or something.

They give the appearance of female role models but I think you're right, there are no positive role models. Connie's mom is the closest we get and even she just decides to be hands off with everything to do with Connie's training or involvement with the gems.

Honestly I'd be more interested in a nerdy outcast girl slowly getting involve with the gems and developing friend/sister/mother relationships with them (picture if she didn't have her mom) while discovering the background with the gems.

Instead Steven just starts the show with the gems liking him. And even know they know EVERYTHING they haven't told him almost anything about the gems. They treat him like a tiny child too fragile to know the truth meanwhile he has seen multiple people die and stabbed one in the chest.

Makes no sense.

>muh role models
Who cares? Male, female, a show should should focus on being a show rather than providing role models.

Besides, the whole point of the show is that everybody is flawed.

AT's high points are higher, but it really fucking drags sometimes. At least most character interactions in Steven Universe aren't painfully obnoxious.

>This fucking shit again

Greg is a great male role model, and my favorite character in the whole series. For what that nigga has been through, he still remains optimistic and upbeat about life.

Do you even watch the fucking show? I know people who don't like SU think it's this feminist SJW tumblr propaganda with NO good male role models, but if you watched it you'd know that Greg is depicted as a genuinely good guy.

Because the best parts of the show were by Sugar.

Apparently, this show needs female role models now.

Yeah, they should involve her in all of the arcs. As soon as they're onscreen together their respective characters work. If it's just Steven then it's kind of irritating.

I wasn't implying this was a good or bad thing, just making the statement.

???

You do realize Connie's mom was a strict, fantasy forbidding parent?
Her whole point was to provide conflict for Connie.

Nice meme. That would be Moynihan.

Not really, but it would be nice if Connie's mom were to be more involved with her fucking kid.

You just can't please everyone.

>Moynihan
You mean the guy who made Finn a wimpy little beta?

>leery about her kid fighting magic monsters with the kid next door.

What a fucking asshole.

A showrunner's job is to know how to cope with character development if the show gets renewed past its premiere season (assuming the show isn't straight sitcom where no one really changes or in cartoons' cases, even ages).

A good premise won't write itself and storyboarders are not screenwriters who think outside an 11/22 minute format. It's the showrunner's job to nudge storyboarders towards character and situation development organically.

Enter Rebecca Sugar, whose first experience in the field was AT where Pen Ward initially claimed Finn would age normally (in part to keep Jeremy Shada employed) but the success led to network pressure towards a constant status quo and lazy storyboarders who felt comfortable with shipping bullshit since it garnered them internet popularity points.

Sugar left AT over exactly this, but she still had no good role model to draw on for SU, and unfortunately fell victim to the same influence from fandom that AT had.

Television networks are not generally going to encourage cash cows to develop in a way that leads to a fixed conclusion if that wasn't sold to them from the start like GF was. Westworld's maybe the only notable exception here, but I won't go into the details unless asked.

It's possible to do this right but focus has to be on story and having the balls to hold to your plan, tumblr and Hot Topic be damned.

Steven and Connie live in different towns.

1. Connie's mom has no weapon's training so she's hopeless there.
2. She's a doctor so she only has so much time to give.

It was already established that Connie's parents were hands off in everything but discipline.

It certainly didn't top it, but Jasper's speech at the end of Earthlings is one of my favorite voice acting moments in the show.

She wouldn't give Connie the sword even their lives literally depended on it.
There's only so far you can go until you're Chi Chi.

adventuretime.wikia.com/wiki/Jesse_Moynihan

Just look at his track record.

I didn't hate Breezy either...

I remember everyone hated Steven when he started out. At least here he has some competence.

>Pretty good track record
>It goes to shit towards the end
What happened to Jesse?

>Instead Steven just starts the show with the gems liking him. And even know they know EVERYTHING they haven't told him almost anything about the gems. They treat him like a tiny child too fragile to know the truth meanwhile he has seen multiple people die and stabbed one in the chest.
This is actually a plot point in later episodes.

Figure of speech, but I suppose she is something like two hours away.

I just mean it would be nice to see her checking in on her kid over the phone or something.

>implying Crossover, Flute Spell and Normal Man aren't among his best work

She does, if Fusion Cuisine is anything to go by.

What her Gem purity speech?

that was for above user.

Most parents don't assume that their 12 year old kid is a master of combat.

Well, admittedly that was on Connie for not being upfront.

Ok, so he's got some pearls among the clam shit.

True enough.

I think this was more true of Season 1.

>This is actually a plot point in later episodes.

What? For real? Does it go anywhere?

It's a kickstarts the plot for the leaked bomb and gets continued in an upcoming episode.

What clam shit? 90% of those episodes are great.

Subjective.
Surprisingly, not everyone liked those episodes.

Can't argue against that.

Although I can call them out on their shit taste

I find it funny that I find this scene way more impactful because Pearl isn't crying at the end.

I honestly Sugar does use crying as comedy.

>They just babysit him for most of the show.

Which is exactly what Rebecca Sugar did with her little brother Steven Sugar, growing up in a sleepy little California coastal town.

There is nothing at all wrong with using autobiographical material as a prompt for creating fiction — as long as you *only* use it as a prompt then invest the same labor and creativity you would creating characters and situations from scratch and never fall into the trap of confusing your life's significance to you with the value of the fictionalized version you create.

Good example: Ed, Edd & Eddy where Danny Antonucci also lets multiple characters embody aspects of himself and people he grew up with, but with a clear understanding that they had to be characters in their own right following the expected dynamics of the premise.

Considering that Lauren Zuke left because Sugar wouldn't make Lapidot canon, I think Rebecca has tighter reign on the show than we think.

Pen Ward basically became a comic book editor.

Is there any evidence that zuke left the team other than her deleting her twitter?

Amber Rogers was promoted to border, a new border by the name of Tran was hired and Zuke made cryptic messages on her tumblr about her "abusive" workplace.

Her deleting her twitter was for a seperate incident I think.

Greg is probably the best male role model on TV right now. He's great.

And frankly, Steven grows up immensely in the show. At this point he's way more mature than your average fourteen year old.

Connie isn't that bad a role model either. I think a lot of girls can connect with Connie and maybe even look up to her.

Do you plan on watching? I can link you Steven rage.

I'm a 21 year old dude and I can relate to her, as I also had over-invested violin parents.

And who said men can't connect with female characters.

I want to connect with Connie

Well, apparently men can connect with talking pygmy horses so I think female's are a given.

Speaking of badass eye-patch wearing females.

>Berenice Charlotte de Mornay-Périgord, vicomtesse de Laval is literally the best.

Aaaaaand no one has done any fan art because it's too obscure, and a book.