I thought the movie was pretty good, not amazing like most Sup Forums posters...

I thought the movie was pretty good, not amazing like most Sup Forums posters, but the baseline test scene stands out as truly fantastic. It's a great idea and was well executed. That's all I wanted to say.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WcLzUZSGT6Q
youtube.com/watch?v=EGxyGcZ5jsY
youtube.com/watch?v=NwJEb3vJvWY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What do you think the idea was?
I've heard a couple theories on here, but I'm not sure what I think.

Hit replicant agents with extremely brutal questions about love/family/things they could never have or experience, and gauge their reaction. If it's too emotional, then they suspend them.

That makes sense. So later when he fails is that because he was expressing emotion while giving answers? Because the type of answers he gave sounded about the same.

Nah, his emotions were out of whack after the GAAADAMMITTT scene. They probably sensed it in his voice.

They ask questions in order to gauge an emotional response after high stress situations. K is supposed to be emotionally detached in order to do his job effectively because he is essentially killing his own kind. His employers, or rather owners, need to keep him in check because of this. The baseline is determined by how you answer the questions. K failed because of involuntary muscle contractions, or just general biological occurances that could possibly represent an emotional response. Anything like hesitation, swallowing, blinking; "Capillary dilation of the so-called blush response? Fluctuation of the pupil. Involuntary dilation of the iris".

There were a lot of standout scenes for me not just this one

>trying to kiss join in the rain
>sex scene
>first leto scene
>elvis hologram fight scene
>the entire ending fight

You can see all types of stuff on the screen, they measured not just voice even brain activity

He was sprinting through the test the second time around you could even here his voice was firmer

youtube.com/watch?v=WcLzUZSGT6Q

BWAAAA BWAAAh

Furthermore, the voight-kampf test is created for the purpose of indentifying a lack of empathy present, or atleast common in nexus 6 replicants. The baseline test contrasts that in that it's purpose is to identify the presence of empathy in replicants.

That scene didn't do anything for me...

My interpretation was that the baseline test would spit out questions that were interlaced with key words. Depending on which key words the replicants repeated back to the machine, it (or some analyst behind it) would gauge how far off baseline they were.

In his first test, he repeats the correct words
>CELLS
>INTERLINKED

But later, off baseline, not only is he visibly more emotional, but he repeats different words
>DREADFULLY
>DISTINCT

What?No
The guy tells him which words to repeat. The interogator says cells after every word and her responds cells.

It's not about which word he repeats. It's more like how he responds to the question with everything they can measure about him, like his voice, pupil dialotion, brain activity,facial ticks, anything else you can think off

Makes sense. I've only seen the film once so far, but the kinds of words he was repeating seemed very significant to me.

does anyone know if the weird car revving screeching sound is in the soundtrack anywhere?

when k is eating rice in the city before the prostitute comes up to him. There's like this crazy loud screeching screaming sound that sounds like a car speeding by

Meh. Joi didn't really do anything for me. I feel like they could have done her character better. The part where Deckard says, "I know what's real" when Leto is trying to make him doubt himself was good tho. And the ending fight scene was cool.

think it's this one

youtube.com/watch?v=EGxyGcZ5jsY

it's the test from the first movie but dumber

How come no one mentions the first scene with Ana creating memories? That shit was captivating. Her performance was wonderful, the hologram creation tech she was using was really cool, and the whole scene carried a lot of emotional weight. One of my favorite scenes in the film by far.

It was decent, but it didn't have the emotional impact the original movie had. It definitely had the key emotional scenes, but they all fell flat for me. It didn't have any scenes like this that really speak to the human heart. Also the music was lazy as fuck.
youtube.com/watch?v=NwJEb3vJvWY

Yes that entire sequence was great and her voice was very soothing

>All movie is nothing but dystopian wasteland
>Suddenly green forests and trees

It's funny, I feel the complete inverse. I always wanted to really love the original, as it has all key elements that I enjoy, but it never struck me the right way. 2049 was basically everything I always wanted the first movie to be.

All I could think of was the holodeck from Star Trek.
>carried a lot of emotional weight
Not really. The concept of her situation was sad but it didn't speak to me at all. I blame the acting. Competent but nothing spectacular to really grip you.

When I saw this movie I went with my buddy and his lady friend and the only other audience was one older man by himself and he sits two seats over from me and I was really stoned and fully immersed in the movie and right after this scene the dude turns to us and goes
>SOUNDS LIKE PUBLIC SCHOOL!
and I just laughed being so abruptly brought out of the movie. Then later when he finds the horse he goes
>that's the place from his dream!
and I was pretty annoyed but didn't want to put the guy down for being excited so I just went mmmm and nodded. Thankfully he didn't say anything else. That's all I wanted to add.

I honestly can't explain that sentiment. The "somebody else's memories" scene from the first movie alone is enough to leave a permanent impression on your heart.

I don't mean that it was sad, quite the opposite really. She has almost this sense of childlike wonder as she is creating these memories, talking about them and the process of making them. But yes you can still hear the hints of sadness in her voice, then of course she breaks down a bit when viewing her own actual memory in K. Then K's reaction to the whole scene brought it to another level after those brief moments of peace and wonder. I was just personally gripped by it.

No I totally understand what you mean. It's definitely powerful as a concept, and I can get why it leaves an impact for so many people, but for me it just doesn't translate as well through the scene. It's like the movie is just on some kind of different frequency that doesn't mesh with me. I see the themes, I love them, but I don't feel the weight of them as they're portrayed throughout the film.

Why didn't she tell him it was her memory when he started freaking the fuck out? That's the only plot hole I thought of after the movie.

K's reaction struck me as overacting. Any healthy young man can yell like that. There was nothing special there.

everyone who enjoyed this flick is above the redditline

Well it's not a plot hole more like plot convenience.

She doesn't have time to say anything and doesn't because apparently what she did was illegal. So maybe she thinks she's in trouble with the law. So she's kinda crying there not knowing what to do and K just stormed out convinced he's a real boy

I thought the birthday candle memory was pretty lame. It could have been a cool scene with something less cliché for lack of a better word.

She didn't have that much of a chance. She was probably in a little bit of shock upon viewing her very own memory in someone else's mind, and then K got up and REEEE'd his way out of the room before she could say much else.

Imagine confirming that everything you've ever believed about your life was not true. It's not much of a stretch to believe that someone would lash out like that, especially when their profession requires them to constantly suppress any and all emotions they might be feeling. Bottling shit up is no joke.

>and then K got up and REEEE'd his way out of the room before she could say much else

They also say it was illegal to do it (probably because what happened to K can happen). So she's thinking she made a big mistake, she ruined this guy, and she might be in even more trouble so not time to react before he walks out

They are thinking 2 different things

>imagine confirming that everything you've ever believed about your life was not true
First movie did it right K's reaction was just a man yelling and kicking a chair (I think) because he was very angry.

Yes, believe it or not, different people react to traumatic situations in different ways. Did you want him to have the exact same reaction as Rachel in the first movie?

Makes sense, thanks for laying that out.

Why did he get so mad if he deep down he wanted to be special? You'd think he'd be happy, right?

I don't think I'd be too happy if I was under the impression that my entire life was a lie. That even though I now knew I was special, my mother died during childbirth, my father put me through some shitty orphanage, then I ended up believing all of my memories were implants 20 years later and I was just being used.

I wanted him to act better.

His wirk is fine. You want a reason to be mad at this movie.

Guess we just disagree on that then. I thought it was believable. You never know how someone is going to react to something life-changing. He could have broken down crying, he could have started laughing hysterically, he could have even shot himself in the head and all these things would be more or less believable reactions. I see nothing wrong with the route they chose or how Gosling acted the scene.

The character was super cute. I wonder if she actually believed that she had a condition.

Would've been interesting to see how the other police officers treated him, I think it would've added a lot to the movie.

Not an argument.

They called him a skinjob as he walked past in the station

He was emotionally unstable/shaky.

That came right after his meltdown at the memory maker interview.

It was the best scene in the film and the most important. I never guessed it was her memory she was crying over because I was invested in K storyline and mystery, but her crying carries a ton of weight in retrospect and you had his GODDDDAAAMNIT, this huge emotional response that comes after an hour of zero emotional responses. It works as a way to cover a plot misdirection, as an emotional revelation and later after the plot revelations in the last act an ironic/sad moment,

I agree completely. Damn it I really loved this movie and yet I feel like I'm only going to love and appreciate it more and more as time passes and I rewatch it and think more about it.

Why did she tell K it was real?

What reason would she have not to?

It's lack of success at the box office just shows most audiences are total plebs.

> (You)
>What reason would she have not to?
Because it made k think he had a childhood when obviously he didn't. And she knew it was here