Space kino

is this film under rated?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Gyf8QWoL7T0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I don't remember any of it, so probably not.

Super underrated. I wish it was more accepted.

Watched it recently. It is VERY underrated IMO. Not as spectacular as 2001 but still good. Loved the ending to.

Never heard of this movie, Thanks for the recommendation OP.
Hopefully I can look past a movie made 7 years ago, yikes.

Yes. It's that rare thing, true space kino (with 2001 of course being another example). However, it loses a lot of the mystic wonder, cosmic horror, and cold inhuman Kubrickianism of 2001. I prefer to consider them as being part of two different artistic universes, by which I mean that, when I watch 2001, I don't consider 2010 to be its successor. 2001 is artistically superior to 2010, so bringing 2010 into its world makes it worse. However, when I watch 2010, I do consider 2001 to be its predecessor.

>ALL THESE WORLDS
>ARE YOURS EXCEPT
>EUROPA
>ATTEMPT NO
>LANDING THERE
>USE THEM TOGETHER
>USE THEM IN PEACE

they're just movies fag lmao

>mfw no 2061 adaptation
>mfw no 3001 adaptation

hmm... this might not be the right board for you

youtube.com/watch?v=Gyf8QWoL7T0

Yeah I get what you mean about the continuity, 2001 works standalone, 2010 works as a standalone continuity of the first one. 2010 is still pretty spooky and unsettling but in a different way. The weird encounter with Bowman, Jupiter imploding and them having no idea what's going on, the space shots and more, it's great.

>tfw enjoyed 3001

I think I made it through 3061 but I don't remember shit about it. 3001 though I remember pretty well, with the ice haulers, the moon virus vault, the animatronic velociraptors and the zero g sex.

You don't remember 3061 because you just made it up. 3001 was an interesting look at a future humanity but I didn't like it how it trivialized the Monoliths and the people behind them.

>cue Also Sprach Zarathustra

I no longer have any idea what's going on

Yep, that's just how I think of it. I actually think 2010 is an awesome movie and I agree with you that it's effectively spooky and unsettling, and the looming presence of Jupiter is great, as are lots of other things. 2001 is just in its own realm... it's not even so much that it's better than 2010, it's more that it doesn't need or want sequels.

It's just a typo for 2061 calm you shit

>trivialised the monoliths

That was a weak point for sure.

The good thing about this movie is that it opened the door for such adaptations to be made.

That trailer...
>tfw you realize high-end 60s/70s/80s space movies like this, 2001, Star Wars, and Star Trek: The Motion Picture had better space visual effects than modern CGI.

>Near infinite cosmic race that has transcended time and space and can seemingly do anything
>Shut down by a bunch of computer viruses

>tfw no qt russian cosmonaut gf

Even if they didn't look as good as cgi, which they do, effects like these look like they belong when played next to other scenes. Compare that to Rogue One or something where the space scenes look like a cartoon that someone spliced in.

Don't forget the ghost ship.

Agreed. Space CGI, both for ships and for planets, still tends to look too "shiny" and uncanny valley-ish. I made a thread:

Man, this is making me want to watch 2010 again.

Beardguy is best russian

Honestly the whole third act is kino as fuck

>It's just a typo for 2061 calm you shit

Um how is one supposed to know you made a typo?

It's a good movie, it would have been a great movie if they could have reused the original sets from 2001

>3061 and 2061 is one neighbouring key difference
>In a reply to a post discussing 2061
>How is one supposed to know you made a typo

Yeah you're right famalam.

So you have no concept of pattern recognition. For someone who doesn't know 3061 could very easily be the next in the series.

Except based on existing data the next most likely entry after 3001 would be 3010, and not 3061

This.

The beginning is pretty mediocre. By the end of the first ten minutes its a little painful. I thought the first 3 seconds was cute though.

Basically nothing happens for almost the first entire half an hour until they send down the probe and even that blurs the line between suspenseful and annoying.

Will we ever get 2061 or 3001

Extremely underrated.

With 2001 being my favorite film, I put off watching 2010 for a long time. Based on everything I had learned about the franchise, it seemed to me that Kubrick was the true visionary behind 2001 and Clarke was mostly along for the ride, so when I heard that he had written several sequels I never really felt like they would be worthy successors to the masterpiece of cinema that he helped create.
I did end up watching 2010 this year, and I enjoyed it more than I thought it would because of the direction it went in. I was expecting it to try to build onto the grandness of 2001 and fail miserably, but instead it focuses on earth and humans. It's a lot more intimate with humanity than 2001, which (intentionally) feels like you're watching all of humanity through a microscope. I loved HAL's redemption arc, and the final scenes with HAL were definitely the strongest in the film. While ultimately I feel like this was a story that didn't need to be told, I'm really glad it didn't shit on 2001's legacy, which was my main concern.
Clarke's other books seem fucking retarded though. I mean, Frank comes back from the dead a thousand years later? That sounds like some comicbook shit.

I think to do it right at this point you'd need to - sacrilege! - remake 2001. Remove the dates and adjust things that don't line up any more (i.e. references to the Soviet Union, assorted retcons throughout the books), and make all four films back-to-back.

Going by that year its on par with Children of the Corn so however you rate that.

"kooritsa."

"кypицa".

"Koo-rit-sa!"

You speak better than me

Yes

Pretty underrated with a good storyline. But it's shocking how poor the opticals are compared to 2001.

Tom Hanks was attached to star in (and maybe produce) the one where they revive Frank Poole. Too bad it didn't happen.