Worst dads thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZksCUeTqs6k
youtube.com/watch?v=jue7BG0zVwI
youtube.com/watch?v=DWUOcTIgI18
twitter.com/AnonBabble

OP's for letting him come on Sup Forums past his bedtime

Ah, fuck it, I'll ask: what's so bad about Jerry? He's oafish and sometimes downright pathetic, but he isn't worse than Rick, despite the way the show depicts Rick as some brooding badass while Jerry is literally the worst person alive.
>Beth finds a way to blame Jerry for Rick going away
>It was Rick's choice to go away in the first place
Am I supposed to feel mad at Jerry and sympathy for Beth? Because Beth might be the worst animated sitcom wife ever. I hate her the way that other people hate Skyler from Breaking Bad.

I'd say the point where Jerry was well and truly solidified as a bad father was in "Look Who's Purging Now", where he feigned interest in connecting with Summer just to mooch some money off of her.

Also, despite Rick having a few heartwarming moments, I would not call him a good grandfather given all the shit he puts Morty through on a regular basis.

What do I win?

he sacrificed himself for his grandson when he was falling through space and was going to be deleted out of the universe.

I feel like the show shits on him too hard. You'd swear the writers think he's hitler when really he's just kind of dim witted.

He was looking out for his family when he wanted to turn in rick. The show doesn't even acknowledge that at all.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZksCUeTqs6k

jump to 10:40

because his wife would rather dump him out of the family than get rid of her father.

That moment stood out to me because it seemed inconsistent with his character in the first season. He's definitely pathetic, but we've also seen him grow a lot in the first season and do things that are heroic, even in season two a bit.

But every time this happens, it's immediately forgotten and suddenly he's this pathetic sack of shit again. I just get the impression that Dan Hermoine got butthurt at his actor and is lashing out by writing his character poorly, like what happened to Chevy Chase in Community.

Retard (Richard) from Gumball.

/Thread.

The panel where Clarissa's drawing of Rippy Fangs is finally revealed makes me cry. Take Me To Work Day had fucking incredible art but the story was less pungeant, although the force field aspect of it was pretty genius.

Has the widespead portrayal of poor father figures in children's cartoons and TV in general had a negative impact on family bonds and social perception of fatherhood?
I often wonder if the people that write these things consider how impressionable their audience is. I care about artistic expression, but at the same time I wonder if the fact you're producing mass media that's proliferated to all children in America might warrant some sense of responsibility for the unrestricted power you have in forming their perceptions of reality? I've come to see the censorship and moral guidance legislation of the early 20th century as not just antiquated, prudish puritanism - but a well-intentioned expression of concern for the possible breadth of influence the new mediums that emerged in that period could have.

Jerry's an idiot, but he's not as bad as Rick.

Rick's a fun character with some tragic moments, but I'm still not sure whether the rest of the family's loyalty to him at the end of season two was supposed to be seen as a positive thing, or self-destructively unhealthy after all that he's done.

that shouldn't really count as a positive deed for rick at all. It was just one of like a thousand alternate reality ricks.

>Take Me To Work Day
Was there more of the story after that?

The writers are just sending me mixed signals. For such an intelligent show, it seems like they're making a pretty obvious mistake in over-glorifying a character who, while sympathetic and fascinating, is also an extremely negative influence on the lives of everyone around him.

Honestly, it just kind of feels like they started to take Reddit's Rick worship too far and are pandering to people who want Rick to be a Gary Stu character that always comes out on top and anyone who disagrees with him is, like, totally retarded.

youtube.com/watch?v=jue7BG0zVwI

Yes. It gave women the impression that their opinions are valuable.

I like how Martin was such a blatant piece of shit to Finn without ever actually raising his voice or insulting anyone. Just a deadbeat who tried to play everything off like he was your buddy.

youtube.com/watch?v=DWUOcTIgI18

Not yet. BMTWD was finished in an actual physical comic, but there hasn't been anything after it. For some reason he's more focused on that abysmal Deep Fried series that his website is named after. It's a satirical comic that doesn't actually have anything to say. It certainly doesn't have any jokes.

It kind of depends on the tone of the episode. The one where Rick tries to commit suicide feels self-aware in just how toxic he is to everyone he cares about. And Beth clearly has dependency issues in being afraid to say or do anything that might make Rick leave, regardless of how much damage he does. Which they kind of build on in the finale with Rick realizing it.

So I guess I'll have to see where they take his development with the current story arc before giving a final opinion.

Does Rick know that Jerry becomes a bad-ass under pressure? He must, right? Or at least the council of Ricks must know. They must have destroyed enough worlds to find that out.
Or is it just Rick's Jerry that always pulls through?

I wonder if they ever plan to bring back Morty's original family in some form.

>So I guess I'll have to see where they take his development with the current story arc before giving a final opinion.
Yeah, me too. I'm just not as optimistic on this cliffhanger as I was on last season's (far less urgent) cliffhanger.

But I would love for them to utterly wow me and make me feel like an idiot for doubting them in this thread.

Probably when they do the Evil Morty multiverse finale

So Rick wants Morty to be better than him, but he also want him to stop being a insecure little wimp that actually kinda a good message, Rick is not perfect, but he truly believes that Morty can be better

I suppose that's kind of an obvious answer.

If they ever bring Universe 1 Jerry back I'd imagine there would be a moment where jerry steps up to Rick and wins.
We haven't had an episode like that yet

My dad

Also it looked like that was the only possibility where Morty fell. So in the only instance where Morty was about to die Rick was willing to sacrifice himself for him.

I can't find the comic, but I remember this one where a kid invents time travel and became his own dad. He realized this and became an abusive dick to try and stop himself from inventing time travel.

So he made time travel just to spite his shitty dad, became his shitty dad, and then acted like a shitty dad so he won't go back in time to become his shitty dad.

that's awful

Wouldn't he be able to remember that he invented time travel out of spite in the first place?

Season 1 jerry is not the same as season 2, they switched dimensions. You can see a real change after that episode

Rick purposefully sent Jerry to the wedding. Rick wanted to get caught, or at least take the risk, or he had another motive. I want to believe that everything that Rick does, he does with intention. That is what season 1 and 2 taught of regarding his character. Jerry got sucked into the beta machine. That episode with Jerry as the sissy slug-- what could not be worse than that? And yet at the end of the episode Jerry's beta tendencies still produced a good outcome for the family. In season three, Jerry will be eaten by the machine, and nearly destroyed, but will end up being integral to the solution. This is why I'm so excited about season three!

Yeah. I never said it was a perfect story.

Maybe he was from a different timeline.

So did he really rape, or is it a joke. I see this posted often on Sup Forums but I don't know where it's from to look it up myself.

He did rape, yes.

>So did he really rape
Yes

>I see this posted often on Sup Forums but I don't know where it's from to look it up myself.
Clarissa from What is Deep Fried. Learn to google or lurk more, you hopeless moron.

My condolences , user

Fuck you, don't pity me asshole

Not that user, but Rick says he only does things when he's sure, so any of them would have done it. If you watch, the only times Rick doubts himself -or his other selves- are a direct result of Morty or Summer fucking things up.

I don't think it's even possible to fuck up harder as a dad than him.

Im surpised this wasn't posted first and ended the thread right then and there
This guy was seventy diffrent shades of bad

where's the lie tho

I wouldn't call him one of the worst dads because he's a better dad than he is a person.

He actually became a pretty decent dad after losing all of the clones (which is pretty good arc-writing), so I wouldn't call him one of the worst.

He's not just one of the worst. He IS the worst. Fuck Clay and fuck the guy who cancelled the show.

A big part of the show is how Rick really lucked out by having his family be so psychologically-damaged. Jerry has self-esteem issues, Beth has daddy issues, Morty has an aura of nervousness, and Beth easily forgives those in her life.

Whilst the season 2 finale was total shit, I do appreaciate the writers making the audience choose who's the better person out of a straight-up asshole and a family of mental issues.

1) he didn't consider the primarch's as his true sons, but he never rebuffed them for calling him "father" because he thought the conflict was unnecessary
2) the only one that he explicitly fucked up with was Lorgar
a lot of the traitor primarch's seemed destined to turn before he found them again, like Angron or Konrad Curze

came here to post this

Yes, the media are conspiring to destroy the public image of the nuclear family.

You won't find worse dad than Shake

And he doesn't even have a penis

That thing wasn't his son. It wasn't even his wife's son.

It was even older than he is.

But he didn't know that, if you act shitty to a person who you consider your child that makes you a shitty father

One generation late there, buddy

Literally the only right answer.

Though I'd love to have Peter sit his fat ass on my face and let out a nasty fart

Well I guess being a good driver doesn't make up for being socially dull

>Rick's a fun character with some tragic moments, but I'm still not sure whether the rest of the family's loyalty to him at the end of season two was supposed to be seen as a positive thing, or self-destructively unhealthy after all that he's done.

Honestly, my money's on "self-destructively unhealthy". That's the vibe I've been getting from the Smith family throughout the course of the show, and that includes the family's relationship with Rick.

Yeah, like, Jerry was a dick about it but he was absolutely right in the season 2 finale.

And his father too

Don't forget we have alt Jerry right now. Our original jerry wasnt a coward, just a little dumb.

cut him off
i cut off most of my family
its funny because they are old and going to die alone

>this meme again
Manta did nothing wrong.

You need to be 18+ to post on this site, Rick.

>Rick

You serious nigger?
He's the best dad

The whole schiit of the show is that Rick is aware he is a cartoon and knows his universe will only continue to exist if he's entertaining the audience. Same way how in the car battery episode zap kept the stamp boxes that rick wouldn't collapse his. Because of this realization (and constant 4th wall breaking conversations with the audience while the other characters fail to see it, like beth going "i dont get it when rick talks to the camera) he is perpetually drunk and in conflict with his existence.

You made me curious, so I had to read 'em.

Fuck you.

Also 5 years of forcing his son to drive unlicensed is a hell of a lot of gross criminal negligence.

Microwave the Baby

Get back to work, Jerry. No one wants their boss c-catching them on Sup Forums now, do they?

No one has mentioned Richard from Gumball? How is that possible?

nope

also no

My dad is also the worst. I feel your pain.

i'll give Greg because that was bait, but Goku is a horrible father user

>doesn't want to sacrifice his family's safety for his wife's abandonment issues
>somehow bad

>Meet me in my study

See for yourself

He makes Peter Griffin look like a model father.

>Yesterday have a thread about how Goku and BATMAN are bad dads
>Today another thread about bad Sup Forums dads
You guys have daddy issues

Why do people hate Skyler? She was just trying to keep the family together and as normal as she could with a meth kingpin for a husband.