So, we're all in agreement that this is the best comic book ever made, yes?

So, we're all in agreement that this is the best comic book ever made, yes?

we're not but yes it is

No, it's not. The dialogue doesn't have the same life to it that other comics do. It has a very lifeless, dry element to it, like if one was listening to a physics lecture.

The dialogue?

>I'm tired of looking at the photograph now. I open my fingers. It falls to the sand at my feet. I am going to look at the stars. They are so far away and their light takes so long to reach us. All we ever see of stars are their old photographs.

Point invalidated.

Indeed. I think it's mostly due to the characters being stuck into rigid roles within the plot. It's great for theme, symbolism, metaphor, foreshadowing, structure, pacing, but the characters come off as speaking with the same voice (ironic, since Rorschach has a different pattern) and don't seem to live outisde of the world of the plot. I realise that every scene has to matter, but I like the little bits of dialogue where the characters talk about inncuous bullshit that still builds character but might not move the plot.

I think that in this respect, Garth Ennis' Preacher did a fantastic job with character dialogue and keeping that the primary focus, rather than the plot.

Other comics huh?

You know that by putting it that way you're going to get disagreement, right?

Anyways, it's good, I never liked the Dr. Manhattan stuff as much as the rest because I'm just not that interested in the problems of omnipotent people, but it's all fine.

nah

comics better than Watchmen:

A Contract with God Trilogy
Maus
Persepolis
American Splendor
Love and Rockets
Strangers in Paradise
The Adventures of Luther Arkwright

>Maus
stopped reading there

No, and it kind of disappoints me that people consider it the medium's Magnum Opus.

Also, OP. From the way you say it, you make it sound like bait.

Why have there been so many Watchmen threads today?

>One of Time Magazine's 100 Best Novels

oh man

There are hundreds of great comics, and personal taste means choosing one as the objective best is impossible.

Personally I think Hellboy in Hell (And issue #10 specifically) is one of the best out there, but someone else could say Love and Rockets was the peak of the medium.

He's not omnipotent he's not even omniscient, he just sees his own life and can do nothing to change it. I found him to be one of the most interesting characters i've ever read.

No, it most certainly isn't. I've only had it for about two years, and the spine is already coming unglued. Talk about poor quality comics!

>Persepolis

Comics are far and away my favorite form of entertainment, but in this case, I prefer the movie.

As far as capes go. Yes,
Maus and From Hell sit up pretty high for non-cape stories for me. (OPINION)

Bendis stop posting, you're not welcome here.

Watchmen was good, but I don't think it was as good as some of the arcs in WatchmeX.

>WatchQuest
>An Inkblot no More!
>The life and times of Adrian Veidt

It just did so much to expand the setting and the characters, and give us stories that couldn't be contained in the original Graphic Novel.

its a postmodern fuckjob that has lead to a lot of the destruction of fun in modern day books., but its a well written post modern fuckjob. it's just good. its over rated.

No you fucking pleb.

No.

Assigning numerical ranking to artistic quality is retarded

It's pretty great though

This. It's so patrician 90% of this board has never even read it.

that's not Fantastic Four 1-100

DC is making Watchmen part of its actual continuity.

It's always been a part of it. Learn to Bleed and Multiverse faggot.

More like it's never been reprinted and scanned pages are hard to find

Don't joke about it.

That is Sup Forums's fault for having shit taste. It's been storytimed here many times and the last time no one even bumped it and it got pushed off the board before the OP could get through a few issues so blame yourselves.

What would you consider the medium's Magnum Opus.

See It changed the way writer's handled story arcs and the content and tone.

More and more Sup Forums fags are reading comics.
The problem with this is that they are still acting like a bunch of idiots.

multiverse and continuity are separate things faggot

>Strangers in Paradise
>Better than Watchmen

I like Terry Moore, but Strangers in Paradise is her weakest work.

No.
It's characters stand around telling you, the audience, how they feel and how deep everything is.

Every story in the Multiverse in the Bleed exist in continuity. Next you are gonna tell me DC reboots. You sound dumb as hell.

I don't think you've actually read the comic

Fuck no.

Sure, they're actually talking to each other when they're talking about how cool and deep their comic is, but they're generally looking straight forward at the reader. It's very clever and subtle.

>it's Sup Forums's fault moot (who?) changed the bumping rules
>it's Sup Forums's fault high quality scans of the comic are hard to find
>it's Sup Forums's fault the trades are even harder to find
I love the series to bits, but to say that the only reason Sup Forums hasn't read it is because of its own shit taste is like complaining Sup Forums hasn't read L'Eternauta because most of them aren't Argentinian

>a rare image of OP

Now I know you didn't read the comic

K.
You can just disagree with my feelings re the comic as opposed to just attacking whether my credentials on reading an extremely main stream comic.
It and DKR changed cape comics into the GRIM N GRITTY mess they were for about 20 years by people who didn't understand what the comics were trying to say even though they both were saying it very plainly in "Isn't this a bad and sad thing" way.

No. Life And Times Of Scrooge McDuck is.

Only in Sandman, where all thought and fiction is canon.

No, counter argument:
This exists.

Not even close.

but as SEPARATE UNIVERSES.
they're making it stop being separate.

I know you're being intentionally thick just to sound superior on the internet, so I hope you're really getting off on this.

patrician taste, user

No, because just like movies, music and regular books and other art, peoples opinions differ because its all subjective to personal taste.

Making top 10 lists and trying to decide "what is best" is what idiotic little shitheads do because they don't have an outlet for competition elsewhere, and their tastes are compliant on what their peer group deems acceptable.

and you try to convince people by posting edited crap bait images?

get a fucking grip dude.

I like it

No they arent you dumb fuck. What do you think Watchmen characters are going to start running around in the DC universe?

Way to fall for the troll posts. Johns said from the jump this won't be a JL vs Watchmen thing.

...no

Overall, Sup Forums has good taste.

Hi Alan.

Overall, Sup Forums thinks that comics are a genre. Sup Forums has terrible taste.

>I took a 100 level comics course
I'm shocked you didn't include Fun home

>Johns said from the jump this won't be a JL vs Watchmen thing

right.
they're not going to fight each other.

Cerebus ran too long to be considered the best comic.
they're are decent sized stretches where the book is just the writer ranting about shit.

the art is nice throughout though.

>100 level comics course
>including American Splendor and Love and Rockets

there's nothing wrong with Persepolis.

this is a valid argument

yes in the sense that it needed to be written.

Alan Moore's only equal is Neil Gaiman and/or Mike Carey

Except it has been reprinted you massive tard.

Mike Carey doesn't get the love he deserves.
Lucifer is written off as part of Gaiman's works.

it was printed once as issues and once as trades

It's not even Alan Moore's best (From Hell) desu

Only correct answer imo

>. Johns said from the jump this won't be a JL vs Watchmen thing.

He lies

Why do people like these books? The only thing i can think of when I see them is Don Rosa autistically screeching about how great Disney comics are

Why do people like superhero comics?

Everybody has something that appeals to them but which seems like trash to someone else.

That's not really an answer

well, ask a stupid question etc

Do we all agree that OP should kill himself for making this shit thread over and over?

Are the characters well written or something?

Read the comic or something?

I'm just asking I don't really wanna buy the comic. Just curious why people love it so much.

>I don't really wanna buy the comic
>buy

Fuck you buddy

>buying comics that aren't owned by their creators
Wew.

sorry i don't let my politics dictate whether or not i buy something. also reading comics on a computer is absolute pleb tier.

>absolute pleb tier
Guess what?

As someone who still hasn't read Life & Times yet, you're a member of that tier.

Jeezis this is casual.

>the serial corporate medium is the only part of the medium
>extremely vague reasons about the changes to that medium make a magnum opus
Yikes

O'Neil's Question is definitely in the running for best comic

even if anons are being retarded

The funny thing is, the comic which ACTUALLY "changed the way writer's handled story arcs" is , which was one of the first comics (if not the first comic) where the trades became more important than the floppies, paving the way for today's market where stories are almost always written for the trade (usually in 6-issue clumps).

But even fewer people have read that than The Question, since it's even older, not about superheroes and not from one of our favorite publishers.

Yes. But I liked the movie more.
Fuck you, making Dr Manhattan into the fake-villain made way more sense than some squid monster with psychic powers.
Dr Manhattan was already god-like, that's terrifying enough

I love O'Neil's Question but I don't really think I'd even put it top 25.

Watchmen practically created the modern trade market single-handedly though

DKR as well.

Cerebus ended decades after O'Neil's Question.

Sandman Mystery Theater is better

but started well before

The first Cerebus collected edition came out in 1986, the first Watchmen collected edition came out in 1987.

Watchmen might have had more influence, but Cerebus beat them to it.

Cerebus began in 1977. Are you implying that nobody was influenced by Cerebus until after it finished?

being first doesn't necessarily mean it started the trend, although you could (correctly) argue that Cerebus's structure influenced Watchmen, which in turn created the trade market

That doesn't make it an "older" comic though. It's not a fucking CC Beck classic or something, they're contemporaries at best.
People don't read Cerebus because they either don't know about it or only know about it because of Sim's madness. Period.
And Cerebus is so important because it proved the non big 2 companies could survive on the direct market. The art is also 10/10 for 220+ issues.

No I'm implying that it being older is not a factor in it not being read because it was still relevant when the Question came out (actually way more so)