Forgotten characters, things, and people from comics and cartoons

Forgotten characters, things, and people from comics and cartoons

Fuck ever happened to Whilce Potacio?

Other urls found in this thread:

newsarama.com/10048-interview-portacio-tells-twisted-toy-story-in-non-humans.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The Reaper was a "major Batman villain that never was", who debuted in the best-forgotten arc Batman Year Two, 3/4 issues of which were drawn by Todd McFarlane.

I think this was the most recent thing he did:

newsarama.com/10048-interview-portacio-tells-twisted-toy-story-in-non-humans.html

And then he joined a digital comics company.

He did a god-awful cover for Champions.

The Ultraverse

Once an up-and-coming legitimate competitor to Marvel/DC/Image in 90s superhero comics, then bought by Marvel and ignored for decades just so they could destroy a competitor.

Sadly:
Adam Strange
JSA in general

Whatever happened to Police Chief O'Hara, from the 60's Batman? Aside from the Gang Mooks pretty much everyone else, even King Tut, has shown up, and keeps showing up, since then.

This could easily become a favorite forgotten villains thread. What about The Construct? A sentient knot of microwaves that came into being somewhere over the ocean. It was the 70's, so think about their version of high tech: Get something sophisticated for the time and just dump MORE POWER into it until it works the way you want it to. You'd think that something like that would end up a Burnside Batgirl villain- her version of The Riddler or something.

Retroactively killed off early on in Dark Victory. Shame, I know.

Was the Skrull Baby ever followed up on?

The Justice League wasn't the Martian Manhunter's first team.

Long before officially revealing himself to the world, J'onn J'onzz took the identity of the Superman-esque Bronze Wraith, serving on the short-lived Justice Experience in the 60s before they were massacred by a vengeful enemy.

Years later, J'onn would take on yet another identity, though not by choice. In a convoluted plot the demon Rott trapped a voodoo superhero known as Bloodwynd within the source of his powers, the Blood Gem, and mind controlled J'onn into assuming his identity. Perhaps due to the Manhunter's personality leaking through, "Bloodwynd" joined the Justice League, who would later be integral in Rott's defeat and the real Bloodwynd's freedom.

Ironically, when the real Bloodwynd joined the JL, he'd do so in a very loose capacity, sitting out a majority of conflicts due to his policy against interfering in events that were "fated" to happen.

>comics

Lord, I miss when Todd McFarlane could actually draw.

A lot of those early Image guy became popular in the late 80s working for Marvel in large part due to the fact that they had talented inkers, something they lacked when they did full art.

Fuck, sometimes they didn't even do full pencils. Jim Lee only did finishes on Punisher.

>when Todd McFarlane drew capes that could cover football stadiums

spoiler: the more cape you draw the less time you spend actually drawing anything else

To be fair Todd filled all the non-cape space with some very intricate drawings of tombstones and trees

Remember when Bob Kane copied that particular image of Batman in a promotional drawing for the 1989 movie?

If I had half the chance, I'd pour urine on Bob Kane's gravestone after all the fuckery he did to Bill Finger, Robinson, and the rest.

>Bob Kane copied that particular image of Batman in a promotional drawing

Oh shit, really? Anyone have a pic of that?

Yeah, that was pretty fucked up. The fact that he got to live comfortably to old age with his name in the papers while Siegel and especially Shuster got rooked still pisses me off.

Yep. Right here.

This was some post-Crisis thing, right?

Oh WOW that is fucking craaaazy!

Yeah

I don't know, I'd say McFarlane became far more popular when he inked his own comics.

>Remember when Bob Kane copied that particular image of Batman in a promotional drawing for the 1989 movie?

Yeah, there's even an Amazing Heroes interview with Todd McFarlane where he talked about how pissed off he was at the time, and that WB couldn't do anything about it.

Here's the part of the interview where McFarlane talks about it (with some other swipes that Kane did)

I can't even remember anything about that anymore.