What was his motive?

What was his motive?

Lex Luthor as a character sucks in dawn of justice. None of his reasons makes sense. He got beat as a child so he has hate for superman?

He hates godlike beings? But then he allies with Steppenwolf and Darkseid who are literally evil gods of apokolips.

His whole character is just nonsensical

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yxIfaFPnG5Y
archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/89246943/#89246943
twitter.com/AnonBabble

> comic book characters having realistic motivations

His questionable motives are the least of his problems. I was pretty skeptical of Eisenberg as Lex, and I was still somehow disappointed. You don't fear him; you can't relate to him; he isn't cool; he isn't funny; and he isn't one of those "you know, he's got a really good point" villains. I completely understand how "Whoa, what if Lex Luther is, like, a young tech billionaire type, like Zuckerberg" is a pitch that kills in an early meeting, but he really is worst villain ever.

shut up, his angels and devils speech was kino, you just don't understand him

He didn’t ally himself with Steppenwolf and Darkseid. He unintentionally beckoned them while fucking around with Kryptonian tech. He’s not happy that they’re coming at the end of BvS, he’s gone full crazy by that point.

BOY DO WE HAVE AN PROBLEMS UP HERE!

They should have used a Luthor more similar to the animated series, have him play Batman's role at the beginning, rescuing his employees from Superman's destruction. Have him rope in Wayne and subsequently Batman into his anti-superman spree, then have Batman realize it's wrong when Luthor wants to take it too far and actually KILL superman rather than just reign him in, leading to Batman siding with Superman and Bruce Wayne subsequently cutting all funding/backing/support after Luthor is jailed for unleashing Doomsday.

But DC has no idea how to fucking make movies.

Neither, it seems, do you.

I thought the point of Luthor is that he's basically as powerful as any human being could ever be, and he's jealous of Superman who's basically a god.

Retard Snyder turned Superman's arch nemesis into Mark Zuckerberg.

89465586(YOU)
Thanks Disney shill
>one rupee has been deposited into your account.

>what was his motives
He has contempt for people that are praised but are probably nefarious. He was abused as a kid. Anyone that takes the form of his father is an enemy.

>He hates Godlike beings???
He hates godlike beings that try to pass as saints, that's where his malice comes from. It also makes sense psychologically for the abused to become the abuser. I think on some level he sees Superman as himself as a child, and maybe he's jealous of the apparent incorruptibility. That's not overtly explored in the movie, but the rest is. I think as a villain he was fine, because he seemed realistic. Some people just give into trauma that way, himself included. Plus they wrote him just to juxtapose Batman to another human. His character lends service to the central themes of the movie, he isn't necessarily supposed to carry the movie by virtue of being an epic, evil figure. He's a damaged kid taking on the world in a way that is kind of tragic.

More or less. Spend your life reaching the apex of human achievement, just to have some random asshole show up one afternoon to prove that you’re as much of an ant as anyone else.

He was using the most powerful man in the world to kill the *third* most powerful man in the world, his only legitimate rival for being the founder and financial backer of the League. He was doing it in such a way that Superman really only had two options: die to Doomsday or live out your life as the criminal who murdered Bruce Wayne in apparent cold blood.

Now ask yourself why in the fuck would any intelligent man say that plan aloud to fucking anybody?

Luthor has the most believable motive in comics. He's a petty jealous asshole who wants to feel superior.

Movie Luthor was retarded

Didn't come off as all that unintentional when he was gloating about it to Bruce. He probably just sees them as anotjer possible in-road to more power.

>rescuing his employees from Superman's destruction

Luthor would never do that

oh look, headcanon

Lex is A.R.G.U.S.

My headcanon trumps your head-up-your-ass canon by a mile. Every single clue is there. I give precisely zero fucks if you choose to ignore them and look like a retard.

Your heacanon of lex considering wayne enterprises a threat (so he tries to kill the mostly-absentee CEO and main drain on wayne enterprises' resources, thus actually improving wayne enterprises' financial state) is just as silly and meaningless as all your other bits of headcanon, the one person who keeps trying to act like BvS wasn't a totally random mess.

This. Lex has nothing to lose from his employees dying in Superman/Zod’s path of destruction. If anything, that help his campaign against Superman.

We’ve seen that Lex is more than willing to blow up his own assistant with a urine bomb in BvS, what’s a few dozen peons by comparison?

What clues are there that hint he is ARGUS? Is it the rooftop scene with lois?

Genuinely curious

I didn't watch the animated series but I assume the general plan was to save some employees to paint himself in a good light, then use his good reputation to become buddy with Batman and then convince Batman to kill Superman

Lex would save his employees if and only if it was a situation he himself set up and had full control of. Two aliens kicking the shit out of each other? He would rip a five year old out of the last helicopter out if he thought it would get him a seat

>I didn't watch the animated series

You should. How it all ties together in Justice League Unlimited is pure kino. I can't think of another western cartoon that had an overarching plot pay off so well

>kino

thanks, Now I know its trash and a waste of time.

OK user. It's actually really good. I'll stop with buzzwords

Indians are very well aware of this character....refer to Shahrukh Khan....

>Indians are very well aware of this character
Because it's shit?

Worst villain in capeshit, I'd rather have a random bland marvel villain than this pretentious convoluted poorly written crap.

youtube.com/watch?v=yxIfaFPnG5Y

He was pretty clearly raped as a child T B H

That jelly bean scene, somehow DC fags still defend this garbage representation on lex.

Straight up. I liked BvS and Lex was one of my favourite parts.

I find that the fact he pulled off his plan and 'killed' Superman, whilst people debate nuances of his presentation or behaviour to be quintessential Lex Luthor. I'm a sucker for villains that achieve goals and Lex got everything he wanted whilst you sit here wondering why he put a jolly rancher in that guys mouth.

Regarding his motive. Lex was abused as a child, he learned at a young age that such evil is not compatible with the concept of a good and graceful God in the universe (argument of evil against God). S

ome years later, Superman arrives and people are hailing him as a God.

Lex rejects this notion and wishes to show the world who Superman really is (not a God). His strategy is Epicurus argument against God.

The film shows us that Superman in many ways is whatever we project onto him, he can't change how he is interpreted, only how he acts, only his intentions.

Epicurus doesn't really apply to Superman because he is not all powerful.

Practially, no. But from Lex perspective it does.

Remember that one of the issues Superman is having in BvS is people projecting onto him what they think he is.

Lex projects 'false God' and so tries to tear that down.

Also, Lex's strategy RELIES on Superman being either not all good or not all powerful. The two tests, kill Batman and fight Doomsday tie right into it.

Lex's complex is wanting to make sure nobody is above him. Because that is really the only way, in his mind, to ensure his own safety.
His father was someone he both hated and admired, he understood that his father was pushing him to be greater, but his father's cruelty and abuse was also a reminder of what it is like to be prey. So he chose to become a predator. His father died, possibly murdered by his own son, and Lex inherited the company and led it to an even greater prosperity.
With the rise of a reformed LexCorp, Lex reached heights beyond anything his father ever imagined. His dad cared about amassing money, because he knew what it was like to not have it. Lex wanted power and dominance, because he grew up without it.
He has a hatred of elders, he has a hatred of authority, he has a hatred of anyone with more than what he has. This is why he put the jolly rancher in the man's mouth. To mock him, to mock his illusion of power.
Lex has no real loved ones, he does not have a tribe, just employees. What he does he does not for material wealth, but to feed his own ego. The consequences of his actions simply do not matter. Does he care if the world is destroyed? The world did not care about him when his father, a celebrated businessman, unleashed horrors upon him. Without empathy, Lex created Doomsday because he could. Because he could not be a god like Superman, but he could be something more, a killer of gods and a creator of demons, the man who killed the world.

>dshill damage control

Fuck off

You should try and ground your argument in the movie scenes, lest it come across as headcanon.

It’s not possible to defend BVS without reading stuff into the film that isn’t there and by ignoring scenes that contradict your thesis

I disagree

It's not possible to defend BvS without the usual suspects who made the thread cry foul and return to spout "flaws" derived from ignorance.

>Boy, do we have problems up here! The problem of … of evil in the world. The problem of absolute virtue. The problem of YOU on TOP of everything else. You above all. Ah — 'cause that's what God is. Horus. Apollo. Jehovah. Kal-El —Clark … Joseph … Kent. See, what we call God depends upon our tribe, Clark Joe. Because God is tribal. God takes sides. No man in the sky intervened when I was a boy to deliver me from Daddy's fists and abominations. Mmnnn. I've figured it out way back: if God is all powerful, he cannot be all good. And if he's all good, then he cannot be all powerful. And neither can you be. They need to see the fraud you are. With their eyes. The blood on your hands.
The whole damn movie is about ego and power. We don't just see that in Lex, we see it in the arcs of Bruce and Clark as well. Their insecurities are built around their sense of control over their environment and a desire to feel responsible and effective.
Lex's seduction of the American government and media show that power goes beyond the physical strength and wonders that define Superman. To be above Superman, you do not need to wear armor and carry deadly weapons, you simply need to put him in a situation where he bends to your will, unwittingly or not.

Bruce is independently wealthy, far beyond Wayne Enterprises profits. He sits on top of a private fortune that's been accumulating since colonial America('Did my father ever tell you how the Waynes made their fortune?"), he has his own political connections and media outlets, and a twenty-year career as a masked hero. Yes, I can see plenty of reasons Luthor wouldn't want that sort of guy around taking a role in the emergent metahuman population.

>That quote
I think I'm watching that movie again this weekend.

That's precisely it. Not just the allusion to the circles and triangles, but the meaning of the word "Argus" itself. I won't be at all surprised when we find out Luthor came up with that acronym himself.

>See, what we call God depends upon our tribe, Clark Joe. Because God is tribal. God takes sides.

No wonder the jews took out Snyder's daughter. He was hitting too close.

nice fanfiction

Oh crap! Is this thesisbro? I've been dying waiting for his analysis.

His daddy hit him so he hates Superman. To kill him, he decided the proper course of action would be creating a human/kryptonian hybrid.
Why is that so hard to understand? Just keep in mind everyone in this movie is completely and absolutely insane and it makes sense. It doesn't improve the shitty movie one bit though.

No at the end he goes on about it being too late because they've already called them and how they can't turn the wheel back

They should have got an imposing well dressed black guy for the role.
Not whiny twink micheal cera lookalike

I love this speech so much, more the delivery than what's being said. It has its own cadence and rhythm, almost like modern-day Shakespear.

That quote also cuts of the Lolita reference which is nice

the jolly rancher scene? he's literally feeding the guy out of the palm of his hand

luthor isn't black he's just tanned

So is Wally a CIA agent in the comics as well? Also is that why no one at the DP cares he died in Africa?

>I've figured it out way back: if God is all powerful, he cannot be all good. And if he's all good, then he cannot be all powerful.
Makes sense so far
>And neither can you be. They need to see the fraud you are. With their eyes. The blood on your hands.
What? Superman clearly fits into the 'all good, not all powerful' category. He's trying to help as much as he can, but he can't be everywhere at once. He's a dude that can fly around and punch hard, nowhere near being anything omnipotent. So how is he a fraud? What blood is on his hands?

Honestly as badly written as Luthor is, Superman is just as bad for never fucking defending or explaining himself.

>Wally
Jimmy?

He is a photographer in the comics, a lovable fool whom snaps the first photo of in flight superman.

The CIA and death thing is Snyder trying to show comic fans that 'nobody is safe'. Pretty stupid.

>Superman clearly fits into the 'all good, not all powerful' category
That's what Lex wants to show. That's why doomsday kills him.

Yeah Lex's plan is to either prove Superman to not be all powerful (by killing him), or to prove he's not all good (by making him kill Batman and disgracing him).

Ding ding ding

>He's a petty jealous asshole who wants to feel superior.

And that's...the movie version.

And they even cast an actor famous for playing a real life petty asshole with superiority issues. Perfect.

He's gloating. He's not warning.

>And that's...the movie version.
Yeah Lex in the movie is so hilariously petty. The way he throws Senator Finch's homespun saying back in her face when he kills her is so funny.

Didn't you know? All eccentricities come from childhood trauma according to modern writers.

You may have thought that Hannibal Lector was an evil genius who was so far above us normies in intelligence that he chose to use us as play things. You'd be wrong. As we learn in Hannibal Rising, he just had a traumatic childhood. You may have thought that Willy Wonka was just a man who loved candy because candy is great and fun. You'd be wrong. As we find out in The Dep Monstrosity, he was just some weirdo because his daddy was mean to him.

Why do you guys just assume he's telling the truth? You just watched him verbally mindfucking everyone he comes into contact with for the entire movie.

he doesn't really care about the movie and just poking fun that directors lazily attribute personality disorders to childhood trauma

He's not though when the police find him in the spaceship he is just sitting there because the ship has literally shown him everything about the threats coming.

Zuckerberg thought Lex Luthor and the Joker were the same character.

>believing Lex wanted a group of god like beings running around

Actually watch the movie

What did Lex plan to do with the kryptonite? Use it against supes or have it stolen by batman?
If it is the first, how did he manage to lose it to batman and still come out on top?
If it is the second, how did he know batman would steal it?

Why should I emphathize with batman in any point through the movie? He's acting like the retards with the accords in CW. "I know he saved us but what if he doesn't".
Why should I emphathize with supes? His only touching moment in 3 hours of film is sacrificing himself to Doomsday but 1) he's just following the plot, it's not character driven at all and 2) he doesn't even die so who cares
Why should I emphathize with Lex? Zoe's motives in MoS were clear: he wanted to revive his race at all costs. What the fuck are Lex's motives? Daddy issues, literally?

What was the point of the entire opening sequence in Africa with the bullets and the terrorists? Something something framing superman to make batman angry? And why did Lex use bullets manufactured specifically only from him and not generic ones?
Why was batman branding criminals?
Why didn't he shoot Superman with a kryptonite bullet the second he inhaled the kryptonite smoke?
Why didn't superman yell from a distance about Lex's plan?
Why didn't he just go save his mother with super speed instead of fighting batman? Lex was clearly not monitoring their fight, since nothing happens after the batwing flies away (which means that none of the two died)
Why didn't batman tell superman his mother's coordinates once he got them from Alfred? He jeopardized Martha's life that way.
What was Lex's plan with Doomsday? What would he do if it went according to plan and Doomsday won, what was he going to do? Kill Doomsday with the kryptonite he no longer has because he lost it?

Why is the movie so eye hurtingly black?

Anyone?

I wonder, are all the DCuck anons too busy sucking Snyder's cock to answer a couple legitimate questions about His """masterpiece"""?

the fight was pretty good, enjoyed the shot with the urinal/sink or whatever.
I got my money's worth. Also you have to keep in mind these movies are just like a web of advertisements for eachother.
not recommended for sober viewing.

I'm pretty sure he already knew enough by that point to know what he was doing.

I did. He pretty clearly had plans in mind for his chosen league of "heroes." Notice any missing logos?

BVS as a whole is a dumpster fire. dont let autists shill you into thinking any different

I hated the movie as a whole but Luthor was so meme I actually secretly liked his performance. Does anyone else feel the same?

Lex had correctly read into Bruce's psychology into the aftermath of the Battle of Metropolis. He suspected that if he hammered on the right buttons long enough - grief, powerlessness, obsession with vengeance - Bruce would either willingly partner with him(Lex did extend that offer to him) or he'd steal the kryptonite, but in either case, Lex is allowing Bruce to maintain the illusion of control. That's of paramount importance to Lex, because it allows him to appear blameless. The biggest obstacle he encountered was Senator Finch refusing to play ball and blocking his import license. If he'd gotten it, he would have looked absolutely squeaky clean and would have been able to spin events however best served his ends.

Hi autist. Chad here. I loved this movie. Get fucked.

>But then he allies with Steppenwolf and Darkseid who are literally evil gods of apokolips.
Did you miss the "either you're all-powerful or you're all-good" line that he taunted Superman with? Darkseid perfectly fits his fedora-tipping worldview.

>What did Lex plan to do with the kryptonite?
He was talking to some general/senator about K-bombs. Watch the movie you brainlet.

>Why should I emphathize
What the fuck is this nu-male empathy bullshit

>What was the point of the entire opening sequence in Africa with the bullets and the terrorists?
To show that Supes had gone international and that his love for Lois was compromising him.

>Why didn't he just go save his mother with super speed instead of fighting batman?
In the time it would take to find her Lex would have ordered her killed.

>What was Lex's plan with Doomsday?
He really didn't have one. He was on the ropes by then and just decided to fuck with Kryptonian tech.

>Empathy is nu male bullshit
Autism, everyone

I kind of wish they went with this angle. It’s truer to the character, and would’ve been a good way to sidestep MUH DADDY ISSUES.

>look at this online test i took that totally proofs im a chad

Imagine being this insecure

A chad wouldn't be this insecure, so you're outed friendo

I took that for fun last week. Dude had a thread where people posted their score and their favorite movie. Thread hit image limit before I had a chance to post.

archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/89246943/#89246943

Feel free to post yours any time.

>I need this autistic online test to prove I'm not autistic

spotted the closet autismo

clinical psychology does agree with that premise however.

The whole point of that bit is that he was making up an excuse to hate Superman on the fly.

you dont need to explain bro i completely understand, i too am a chad and carry a laminated print out in my wallet that i whip out to embarrass any beta i happen to cross.

This

>knowledge is power, but Superman has power without knowledge which is a CONTRADICTION...

>The CIA and death thing is Snyder trying to show comic fans that 'nobody is safe'. Pretty stupid.
Would have carried more weight if he got more than a minute of screen time with the main characters.

>i-its was only for a joke, i really am a chad!

I like him more on Criminal Minds tbqh. At least there he's actually smart.

trying to apply Epicurus to superman, much less snyder's superman, requires total ignorance of snyder's superman (inconsistent with how lex is characterized), total ignorance of Epicurus (consistent), total lack of understanding of Epicurus (consistent) or total lack of understanding of snyder's superman (inconsistent).

So all dropping the mangled quote did was make lex look impossibly stupid, unless you ignore everything else that happened in the movie.

It gets better with every rewatch
Esp. Director’s Cut

Sadly, since long before Whedon became involved it’s been clear that Justice League won’t have anywhere near the same depth

I’ll eat my keyboard if your IQ tops 109
Lmk