When did quips become the defining characteristics of the superhero genre?

When did quips become the defining characteristics of the superhero genre?

>I've never read a comic book in my life

You say it as if its a bad thing.

I read a lot of Marvel/DC over the last 30 years, all of the classics, etc.. There's a few jokey characters or flat-out comedy issues but constant quipping at every moment isn't all that common, nor was it it the defining characteristic of the genre

around the 90s crash I'd say.

when superheroes became the most mainstream genre, just like when one-liners were the defining characteristic of the action movie in their height during the 80's

>one of the highest grossing franchises worldwide has a lighthearted tone
How dare they

Wtf does this quip mean?

They give out orange slices in under age sports at halftime. Meant to be like an energy boost / social bonding.

In this instance, Ant-Man got rekt and wants a break in fighting for "orange slices"

They’ve been there since the beginning. Even Superman ‘78 and Batman ‘89 were full of them. Even the old black & white Batman vs. Fu Manchu serials had them.

>play basketball
>sticky hands from orange slices
Fucking idiotic amerilards. Isn't water enough? Why do you fat fucks always have to snack every 5 minutes.

He was about to be fetally spooned by an alien.

>Orange slices WTF this isn't funny
>100 meme's later
hahahahah stupid marvel hahahah they will never get me to laugh at stupid orange slices ahahahahlolol

When marvel decided to target adults instead of children.

Iron Man was a success
Iron Man as a character makes snarky quips
This was copied onto every character

Depends on how you want to look at it, but Iron Man is the main reason since the character was kind of snarky and he had the most successful of the individual MCU films. Avengers is when it started butting its head in where it shouldn't be, because Joss Whedon is Joss Whedon and went overboard, which lead to it being infected into a lot of characters in Avengers, and then got brought into the independent movies because Marvel thinks that's what everyone wants now. And unfortunately, it is indeed what the general masses want.

The start was 2008 with Iron Man.

That wasn't hard.

Spiderman got popular and quipping is his trademark since, if you thinking about it logically, Spiderman would be creepy as FUCK if he didn't talk all the time.

While I agree with you, don't you think it might be a little jarring if the MCU takes a massive tone shift at this point?

Fuck you I use chopstick

When Joss Wheadon made a billion dollars with them

You should keep it that way. At least stay away from Marvel's and DC's mainline heros. They are all trash.
There are still a couple of good comics out there. Lucifer is definitely one.

When People stopped being ashamed of Comic Book characters Comic Book Roots. Read a Comic book, They're filled with Quips. They've always been Filled with Quips and One Liners, and in fact movies have been filled with One Liners for years before cynical hipsters thought it was 'cliche'

Been a thing since black people started infecting their shit culture into media. Now it's mainstream. Good fucking job, you let the Jews win AGAIN.

there's an entire world of comics outside of capeshit, you know

If they pick the right moment, it could work. I could see Civil war to be sort of a turning point where things begin to be more...'serious' and then When Thanos shows up and people die then they could cut down on it, But desu, I'm not sure I want to. I hate the fact that all the DC movies are super serious no fun fests that are trying to ape Nolan constantly. Because it worked for Batman doesnt mean it works for everyone.

You need to stimulate the short attention spans of the feeble-minded as 2min's with out action is likely to have their brains go into hibernation state

I find it kind of funny
I find it kind of sad
on Sup Forums fun is a buzzword
that gets them real upset

Is hellblazer still considers good?
Constantine was a pretty good movie. But I think it had a few quips. but is it really the quips that make it shit?

When Marvel watched Schumacher's Batman and Robin and agreed that capeshit is silly so it's best to play it silly.

hot

This is also true on Sup Forums.
It's a mentally unstable planet.

Exactly. Comedy isn't unique to CBMs or comicbooks, but the style of comedy we get in Marvel movies didn't evolve from the comics, they evolved from action comedies as a film genre. Buddy cop movies like Rush Hour.

How can he grit his teeth and move his mouth to speak at the same time?

Even before that, 007 has been full of quips since forever

this isn't even a joke

The sad thing is that I'm pretty sure they're actually trying to be dark with movies like Avengers 2 and civil war.
So you can bet your ass infinity war isn't gonna get much darker than that.