ITT: absolutely genius ideas

ITT: absolutely genius ideas

>take a book titled Ghost Rider
>make it focus on two completely different characters
>make one of those characters act vastly different from how they act in any appearance up to this point
>make the character actually named Ghost Rider a side character at best who only appears in two or three pages of a 20 page book

I hate that you're right.

>take the main character from Bleach
>make him a stand user wielding Wheel of Fortune from part 3 Stardust Crusaders
>call him Ghost Rider

Well, the cover is sweet so does it all work? Ive given internet negativity too much weight in recent times. Once I actually sat down to read jane-Thor and capHydra i was impressed. so, will i be impressed?

So you're gonna stop making this whiny threads when Four on the Floor ends, right?

First run is outstanding, there's a minor dip in the middle when Tradd leaves the book.

Ghost Racers' secret wars tie in is outstanding.

New run is bad purely because it's a team up that sidelines Ghost Rider, but the next issue is the last issue of said team up and then the book is back on track and picking up where the last run left off.

The difference is that Jane's book is actually about Jane and Steve's book is about Steve.

Robbie's book is about a bunch of other random jack-offs while he gets like 5 pages an issue. Those 5 pages are great, but I'm not reading a comic called Ghost Rider for only 5 pages of Ghost Rider. Hulk and Wolverine should not be getting more screentime in a Ghost Rider book than Ghost Rider. For fucks sake, Wolverine's supporting cast has gotten more screentime than Ghost Rider's supporting cast.

that doesn't sound genius at all

>Gabe wasn't even in the last issue
>Lisa hasn't been in the new run whatsoever

Nah, then it'll be "sales are failing because of Four on the Floor!" and blaming the inevitable early cancellation on the opening arc not having enough Ghost Rider.

I'd more be upset if they were wrong.

They wouldn't be wrong, though. When most people pick up a book titled "Ghost Rider," they expect to read about someone called "Ghost Rider." If they don't get their fill of what is a reasonable basic expectation of a book, they're going to tune out.

That's some real roundabout logic there champ.

>When most people pick up a book titled "Ghost Rider," they expect to read about someone called "Ghost Rider."
Sorta like when they pick up a book called "Hulk" they don't expect to see Jen; or when they pick up a book called "Hawkeye" they don't expect to see Kate; or when they pick up a book called "Spider-Man" they don't expect to see Miles; or when they ...

Here's the thing though, Robbie's book sold poorly in the original volume too. His first run only lasted 12 issues, and that's with based Tradd Moore on the first arc. What's most likely is that they started with this Four on the Floor arc in hopes that fans of Silk, Chulk and Laura would read the book for them and then stick around. Now you could say that he got more fans thanks to appearing on AoS, but then trying to appeal to the people that saw him on AoS and wanted more of him is the exact reason we got Coulson and May showing up in this arc too.

Don't get me wrong, I hate that Robbie's first arc in his new volume has almost no Robbie in it, but the idea that this arc is what'd cause the book to have an early cancellation isn't quite there either. If the book has a sudden jump in sales once the arc ends, then that'd lend credence to the idea that the arc is hurting sales. Conversely, if there's a sudden drop in sales once the arc ends, then that means that having these guest stars hog the book was actually helping sales because it was attracting people that normally wouldn't read it to check it out.

Nope.
If I picked up Peter Parker:Spider-Man you'd have a point. But the tithe refers to the hero name and legacies exist

Except that those are related characters and even though they may not be the ORIGINAL spider Man for instance, they're still the same legacy.

Nobody is getting bait and switched buying what they think is a Peter Parker Spider-Man book and getting Miles. They're buying the Spider-Man book with Miles on the cover and getting Miles.

It's not equivalent to buying the ghost Rider book and getting hulk and wolverine.

>Robbie's book sold poorly in the original volume too
That's because the writing sucks ass. The dialogue, esp when they were dealing with the (god help me) Blue Krue was PAINFUL.

Everyone jumped ship when Tradd fucked off to do more Strode because he was literally the only reason anyone was sticking around.

They're doing something similar with "Iron Fists" where they bring back Kaare Andrews for another shot at Iron Fist even though the first run sold like shit (the only reason I stuck it out was the artwork and, even then, I'm pretty sure I was in a minority with most people disliking that as well).

>make a mini out of a prologue novel to a fantasy series
>make a whole 30+ issue series out of the first novel in the series
>never follow up with the rest of the books beyond #1

Blood and ashes that burns me.

are we doing this again?

Naw, I'm still going through withdraws from the story times last week. They left me wanting more comics

>this fucken qt hasn't shown up anywhere

at least theres always the books
I just hope the tv series isn't shit enough to end after book 1 too

Sales for the first run were tanking pretty hard even before Tradd left. That 2nd issue drop was huge and the numbers got progressively worse every month. Damian Scott taking over the art didn't help things at all, but he wasn't the sole reason why people started jumping ship.

It's too much to hope for an animated Netflix series, but there it is all the same, that mad hope, like the hope that you'll find an oasis beyond the next dune in a desert. Mad, but it's there.

I also hope that the live action series in better than that awful pilot that shoved out.

>book doesn't sell well
>give him a big team up
>give him a christmas special
>give him an agents of shield arc, would've been a whole season if they didn't blow their budget
Does Marvel want the new GR to be a hit even though it isn't doing well? Is it one of those great TBP and digital sale comics? The exposure seems unjustified given the lack of success of his initial run.

>Sales for the first run were tanking pretty hard even before Tradd left
Right: because the writing was shit.

ANGR was a book that lived and died by its artist. Once Moore left, the book became mediocre. No shock, then, that the reboot is even worse.

OK, so, ignoring the fact that the writing was fine and you just have shit taste, I don't follow your logic here.
>first volume sold poorly because of bad writing
>second volume will sell poorly because of Four on the Floor not focusing enough on Robbie
>both volumes have the same writer
By your logic, wouldn't the inevitable early cancellation of this volume be because of Felipe Smith and not because of Four on the Floor not having enough Robbie in it?

ANGR is the only time the ALL NEW heading worked because the acronym almost spelled Anger and that's cool

Felipe's self drawn issues weren't too bad, but it's Tradd's use of colour and his god tier panelling that really made the art (I won't disagree that his anatomy is wonky).

That said, I think I'm one of the few people who didn't just buy ANGR for the art, Robbie and Gabe's relationship was a big selling point too.

Tradd also did a great job of giving the action weight. When Robbie wrecked shit, shit felt properly wrecked.

>Robbie and Gabe's relationship was a big selling point too
That was one of the worst parts. If a work includes a retard I instantly tune out because it's there for no other reason than to pull at the reader's (or viewer's) heart strings in a hacky manner.

Robbie as a character was received really well critically and is popular online despite his book not doing very well, just like Kamala.

For that reason, they're probably going to float the book as a promotional tool while they feature him in other things.

Out of all of their new legacy pushes and new characters, he's one of the few people actually fucking like besides Kam and Sam. Nobody fucking likes Miles no matter how hard they force him, and garbage like Riri and Moon girl are in 10k death spirals. So they're trying to keep the character in the lime light no matter his sales.

Kam and Robbie will probably be contenders for a MvCI roster spot.

Is this the mid-season upgrade?

>issue 6
>book might not even make it to 12 issues
Basically yeah.
Funny you make that comparison since Smith's writing (well the pacing specifically) definitely has more in common with a manga than a western comic. People are complaining about this team up's pacing, and yet if you read a typical battle shounen you'd have issues at a time without the main protagonist showing up.

The guy's writing the book as if he has infinite issues.

>more in common with a manga than a western comic
Well he is a mangaka.

An actual mangaka? As in he created actual manga? Or do you mean a western comic writer who made manga inspired work?

mangaka

Is peepo choo any good?

If you like big titty bitches, yeah.

It's pretty good a story by itself
Also it shits on weaboos pretty hard by having a foreigner come to Japan believing it's like his Chinese cartoons and being repeatedly shunned and slapped in the face by reality because Japan is very real and alive with contradictions so your teenage dream of becoming a mangaka as a foreigner in an overcrowded, unforgiving industry full of Japanese is probably bullshit
Very meta since it's told by a guy who did exactly that

>Robbie as a character was received really well critically and is popular online despite his book not doing very well, just like Kamala.
Robbie hasn't had an appearance outside of his own book and he's barely even appearing IN his own book recently. That wouldn't be happening if they were trying to push Robbie as a character.

That's different. At least in those books, the characters you mention are also known by those titles. You pick up Hawkeye, you're reading about a Hawkeye. It's not like it's titled Hawkeye and it's instead about, I dunno, Brother Voodoo and Nightcrawler teaming up with Hawkeye only showing up every now and then.

I like how he says that he saw more of Japan in his one short vacation there than he did in years living there because he spent every moment of his life working, so he almost never left his room.

Where they referencing AvED with that cover?

>Plane Jane
Maaaaaan Robbie needs himself a girl with flavor. Maybe Anya

Nah, Lisa just needs a little more character development, her absence has been a negative for the book since Robbie having any sort of love interest is complicated by Gabe in addition to his secret identity.

that or give her extremely gratuitous ass and tiddies

Except all of those still center around the advertised characters. Robbie, the Ghost Rider, has no connection to the plot or characters. He's a glorified cameo in his own fucking book.

If Marvel wants to promote another bad Young Avengers rip-off then they can at least label it New Champions #1 and fuck off already.

There's no shortage of red heads in the marvel universe, she's just real meh to look at. Hate to sound like a tumblr but I'd like to see Robbie with a more colorful girl both literally and personality wise. It's one of the reasons why I liked Kamala with him.

>and personality wise
Well to be fair she's only been in like 4 issues and hasn't had a lot of screen time. I'm willing to give her time to pan out. I'd definitely prefer Robbie with a civilian love interest rather than another hero since his secret identity is a big aspect of character currently.

As for her looks? Yeah, there's nothing special about a red head, but at least she's got a nice fashion sense. I dig the beanie and big earrings.

Fair enough. Idk about civilian girl though. I like the idea of a typical teen superhero girl with typical teen superhero problems meeting Robbie and seeing that he has real shit to deal with. I think it'd make for fun chemistry between Robbie, Gabe and any hero girl

Maybe I just like the idea of a civilian love interest because secret identities are a bit of a dying breed at marvel, and it feels like a nice throw back and return to form.

Robbie feels like more of a Peter Parker successor than Miles ever did honestly.

Yeah I feel ya, Robbie is such a tortured kid hero he has those vibes. He also doesn't seem like the kind of guy who'll get a happy ending. I get that you dig civilian girls but I think for Robbie in particular and super girls would work better for him while he's young. He doesn't just need a girlfriend, he needs a partner other than his murderous uncle.

Gotta admit I'm enjoying it, it's a fun romp.
Though they really should have made different title for it?
Or perhaps it IS a Ghost Rider story, there's just a big build-up around it?

"Ghost Rider and friends"?
"Ghost Rider presents some other superheroes"?
"Ghost Rider frames a story about some other people"?

The thing is though that after issue 4 the team up is over and it's just a GR book again

I'm fine with that also - so far I'm entertained.

>The guy's writing the book as if he has infinite issues.
What's new about that? Yost dragged stuff a lot the same way.

Maybe because he's writing for a new unproven character and has a very limited amount of time to hook readers?

Maybe because comics are monthly and manga is either weekly or monthly issues are more than 20 pages?

You're just reiterating the same things I said, Yost did the same though while not as "manga-y" the feet-dragging to resolve Hummingbird's story was notable and so it remains in the air to this day

>ALWAYS WIELDING CHAINS ON THE COVERS
>NEVER WIELDING THEM INSIDE

bump

Robbie hasn't had many opportunities to do ANYTHING Ghost Rider-y, really. Yeah he does that shit where he punches things with his car, but we haven't seen stuff like him pulling chains and enchanted car tools out of his ass and Penance Staring people.

Robbie can't penance people though?

The car tool weapon set has been a part of his character since the start, he's just never lasted long enough to put it to use. I'm fine being patient, Smith and the other artists have already done a lot of great work with just Robbie and the car.

Robbie doesn't use the Stare. Johnny and Danny (and Alejandra, I guess) can because their spirits are divine. Robbie's is just a particularly powerful ghost.

Robbie may not have the Penance Stare but he may be able to eat souls

Don't forget he can send you to hell too