What are the worst animation/style trends in the past 3 decades?

What are the worst animation/style trends in the past 3 decades?

That trend when 00s action cartoons had bright screen flashes every time someone got punched.

That shit almost gave me an epilepsy.

Shaky cam.

what the fuck am i looking at?

Cherrypicking.

calarts mouth

That stupid crap where characters make an exclamation and always have to have their hands raised. Also, when shows try to have text memes.

Looks like a hand comparison. EENE and Spongebob have hands that are drawn with solid palms and wrists while GF and AT are just ambiguous tube.

those are both awful

4 fingered hands are actually standard in the cartooning and animation industries. 5 fingered hands on stylized characters look distracting when animated

Noodle arms, in my opinion. Noodle arms alone aren't the problem, but it's indicative of a new type of generic masquerading as unique.

Hands are a fucking pain to draw

I hate them

I hate them so fucking much

Tfw you love drawing hands and are good at drawing the

Nigga you literally have two of them in front of you all fucking day to use as refference, don't be a little bitch

Is like they are trying to mimic the Jojo-esque Onomatopoeias but done wrong.

you know what the problem with new cartoons is?
not the writing, or character designs, or episode schedule, or voice acting, or animation
it's the hands! the hands are the problem!

In the past three decades? Well TV animation looking like trash in the 80s.

Definitely Seth Macfarlane style cartoons, AKA cartoons with no style.
>eyes are just circles, except for Asians
>nobody moves multiple parts of their body at the same time
>character models all resemble each other so much that supposedly attractive characters just look like regular characters
>expressions are reduced to what angle and height their eyelids are
It's just so economic and devoid of integrity. I'm not John K., but this shit is an affront to the animation medium. Bonus points if it's animated in Flash.

I would say that Brickleberry is the worst offender of this, followed by Cleveland Show and Family Guy. At least American Dad sometimes uses poses are style changes that aren't cut and pasted like a Tim Buckley comic (although not frequently enough).

The character designs are so fucking simple.

Back in the ol timey days, like steamboat willy old, the characters had shadows, dimensions, anatomy.

Now they're flat as fuck with boring designs and colors with nubs for fingers.

The difference is rubberhose animation was simple because it was new with the added appeal of it CONSTANTLY moving to a beat.

We've gone backwards in design to mimic old rubberhose without the fucking appeal of the fun bouncy animation that went along to a track so now it's just shitty flat art that barely moves. What's the point.

That 00s style where cartoons started to emulate anime but usually very poorly. Even in things like Teen Titans it wasn't amazingly done. I also don't like how it's left a mark in western animation still, however much it's been fading away.

Ben 10 is a good example. It wasn't beautiful like anime, it wasn't fluid like cartoons. It just kinda fell into a purgatory. Had some neat alien designs, tho.

Those fat cheeks on non-fat characters
i.e.

Internet references. Movie pop culture references were bad enough, but internet references are much worse since online sensations come and go very quickly.

Puppetry animation and worser from canadians.

Are you kidding? Ben 10 looked the least anime out of that period. It had a lot of sharp angles like most western cartoons and a general aesthetic the resembled 20th century comic house styles.

D'oh

Christ, FG is just so devoid of life. Every scene goes by and there's just the same string of poses. Hand held out, both hands held out, head turn, expression, hand held out, repeat ad nauseaum.

Thin outlines on characters. I feel like thicker lines really helps the characters pop more against the background.

It's sad to look back at his earlier work, which had characters with actual designs. For example, a British character looked like a caricature of a 19th century gentleman, whereas now they would just be a normal character model with crooked teeth and an ugly nose.

Even when the show tries to be detailed it looks half assed and lazy, like they want you to think they're going all out without actually going all out. I'll make an exception for the Disney animated scene.

>What's the point.

Muh on-model designs.

No, really, that's the reason. Storyboarders and animators are practically being held at artistic gunpoint by the suits; they could kiss their job goodbye if they even so much as draw a main character's nose wrong. Everything is so stiff because they don't want a character going off-model.

Gross or really busy styles

Secret Mountain Fort Awesome, The Problem Solvers, and, to a lesser extent Superjail and Flapjack

I hated the early 00s when every cartoon was going for an angular, thick outlines Dexter's Lab style.

The worst for me growing up was all those cheap 80s and 90s shows that took place in deserts, plains, or abstract worlds to cover up the fact they didn't have enough money to draw cities and background characters.

desperate 80s merchandising.

i'm so glad video games practically killed them off.

boi the 80s was four decades ago

Meh. I don't care, they look visually appealing enough, they move well, and if paired with good character designs and good colours and interesting backgrounds I think they're plenty good. Something like Adventure time's art wouldn't really be improved by sticking in an elbow just because that's what real people have.

Relax man. Hands are difficult to draw because they're shown in such a wide variety of angles, shapes, and often very from person to person to such a high degree that you can't learn it by rote.

HOWEVER, as an illustrator and graphic designer, I believe anything you have a hard time drawing is your mind's way of telling you you're not drawing it enough. Focus on what irritates you and soon enough it will stop, and something you've been neglecting will irritate you and you can change focus.

hands are hard yeah, but once you've drawn them enough you stop trying to draw a hand and just draw the forms that make up the hand you want to show. You stop thinking about knuckles and start seeing bending tubes, bulging palms, and the angles of rotation start to seem natural.

Pic Somewhat related, its a shot I've been working on plz no bully.

AH-HA! DELETING YOUR POST TO HIDE YOUR TYPOS I SEE!

why do you have to make me () reference a deleted post user?