/hor/ - horror general

practical effects edition

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hUie2Q09M_A
youtube.com/watch?v=D8YIW7No1l4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Horror is for reddit

for real though, how rad are the new Arrow releases? pricey yes but I am happy they are digging up the video nasties and some more obscure shit to provide a broader release.

aside from neat new artwork, some of the releases include both the dvd and blu ray of the film but they are admittedly a bit more expensive than id like to pay.

>looks like a silly plastic costume
>practical effects are soooo superior!

The Sheriff dies in the new Stranger Things season.

Good.

Your mother and everyone you love dies at some point in your life.

and water is wet

youtube.com/watch?v=hUie2Q09M_A

any of the Hatchet sequels worth watching?

>Pumpkinhead

Are the sequels any good?

I watched that like 2 years ago and it's still fresh in my memory.

Yeah, I enjoyed them.
The main girl really got on my nerves, but the deaths are always great, and there's some awesome cameos.

Is Pet Semetery any decent?

Still the best.
So damn comfy as well. I watch it at least once a week

Didn't expect the father-daughter incest but...it was good. It was good.

2 is serviceable, noticeably cheaper looking but levels it out with a much sillier tone

haven't seen 3 or 4 but they're sy-fy tv movies so take from that what you will

Going to see Halloween on the big screen tomorrow. What is a horror movie you'd love to see in the cinema? For me, other than Halloween, probably something like [REC].

I watched [REC] on the big screen when it came out. Great choice.

I'd probably go Braindead. Full theater.

im gonna be a hipster faggot and say nosferatu

Not to be a complete thread derailing shit, but why do people wank all over practical effects? For every Alien and Thing there were a zillion low-budget, shoddy rubber suits and jerky animatronics. We take CGI for granted these days, because it's so common and advanced. It's utilized constantly everywhere to the point you don't know it's there. People say artistry and talent only goes into practical effects, but what about the fucking legions of animators and modellers out there actually building the images of what we see? There's no skill there, no? I absolutely loathe when people say 'Oh it's just made inside of a computer', like you press a button and there's a whole movie made, completely disregarding what the endless hours of overworked effects companies - who often go under - do to make your fucking Blade Runner look pretty.

Practical effects only existed because it's what people had. CGI came along and outclassed practicals in pretty much every way. Don't just applaud people for intentionally gimping themselves with practicals these days. You use what's necessary and what'll look good, but muh rubber suits for hipster brownie points.

>hipster brownie points
ok cool
haven't seen anyone itt yet make the argument that practical effects are better
it's a horror general, practical effects come with the territory
maybe stop getting butt blasted over one thread title
it's just an excuse to bring some cool ones up

I never said anyone here did, way to make assumptions there. I'm talking in general. People constantly praise practical effects because CGI is the norm now. Remember The Void? One of its selling points was practical effects, which looked shit. Not horror, but Kubo and the Two Strings was literally Muh Practicals: The Movie, and it suffered terribly in every other aspect for it. I'll never understand why people wank over it other than the fact it's 'different' now, when at one time it was the norm.

Well done practical effects are better than the best CGI.
Bad practical effects are cheesy, funny, and add charm. Bad CGI is fucking lazy.
The best films use both. Practical base with CGI assisting.

>What is a horror movie you'd love to see in the cinema?
Halloween. And maybe Jason Lives.

you're right I did just the gun a bit with my reply, but we're both spewing platitudes anyway

I think horror fans prefer practical stuff because it's there, it's real and that's where the horror comes from
then there's the craft element too, where you see an effect in a moderately low-budget horror and go "oh cool, how did they do that?"

can you give me an instance of good CGI in a horror film? a kill effect or a creature effect that looked good/scary?
not even asking to catch you out or anything, I just don't know one off the top of my head

Check out that director's most recent movie The Devil's Candy. Also good.

I don't quite agree. They're both tools that can be used to maximum effect, or look hilarious, or just bad. People love to deride bad special effects. Syfy thrives on this just as cash in straight to video crap did back in the day. Sharknado got like four sequels.

One scene with effects that always creeps me out is a scene from Mothman Prophecies. Watch the mirror really closely, the movements don't synch up, and watch when he slams the door.
youtube.com/watch?v=D8YIW7No1l4

Honestly a lot of them but Suspiria is one I might actually get the chance to see in a theater. TCM & Cannibal Holocaust I already got the chance to watch both on the big screen.

CGI looks fake as fuck and should only be used to make practical effects look better. It's 4x more expensive for shitty CGI than some of the best Practical makeup and animatronics out there. Overusing CGI for literally everything ruins a film and it just becomes a video game. There's nothing aesthetic about it. Also you use Kubo as an example which I don't get because that film is beloved by everyone. You're basically using your sole opinion and making it out to be some sort of objective fact.

Who is best vamp and why is it Klaus Kinski in the 1979 remake of Nosferatu?

One of them is not a vampire.

Salma Hayek is indeed a vampire.

>CGI looks fake as fuck
Because Pumpkinhead looks completely photorealistic right? Practicals only work when you barely see them and when lighting is just right, when they're not lingered on. The best practicals in a horror film utilize this to the best effect because they knew you can't linger. The same goes for CGI. Also, videogames as a derogatory term doesn't make you sound smart and makes very little sense.

Kubo hinged upon its visuals entirely and that's what I'm trying to argue about. You do that, and the rest of the film suffers. Kubo is by no stretch of the imagination ever going to win any kind of writing award. My argument overall is practicals for their own sake in this day and age is shallow, instead of them being a necessity or because it's what the filmmakers thought might turn out better in the end or find it easier to utilize.

No mention of Scary Movie? Nigga bitches.

>Blacula

Dat voice is sexy as fuck

Why did they give Pumpkinhead a tiny penis?

"Life" was okay

What's the name of that movie with the killer clown?

it's because we're not niggers

Only good scene in that entire franchise was James Woods as the exorcist.

or a sense of humor

Not if I die first, retard

>Because Pumpkinhead looks completely photorealistic right?
I'm not even going to bother reading the rest because Pumpkinhead looks fantastic on film. If you had given a better example of schlocky practical effects, I'd perhaps take the time to read your argument, but if you're going to use something that's legitimately good then there's no point. I'm just going to assume you're shitposting due to your hallow arguments and the fact you aren't capable of contributing to a thread other than bitching about what the general is called.

Made his last night

did James Wan make horror mainstream again?

Most studios seem to have produced or be producing fairly big budget horror movies since The Conjuring

Congratulations on taking it so personally you can't come up with an argument other than 'You hurt my feelings so you're wrong waaah'.

Thoughts on this? I liked it, but wanted more supernatural scares. Most of the scares are jump scares, and most of those jump scares are stereotypical stuff we've seen before like the patient that was being interrogated being pulled into the dark out of his chair, or the hand reaching out from under the stairs in the basement. The few supernatural shots we get are legitimately disturbing, and I wish it explored those a bit more. Like, what was that monster in the hallway? Or the thing in the water tank?

Are there any other good movies that are like Scream?

You're examples are flawed and are strictly based on opinions and not even good opinions, yet you expect others to take you seriously with actual detailed arguments. That's like saying 2001 has shit effects and then waiting for someone to respond explaining why you're an idiot. Until you can say something that can validate whatever nonsense you're spouting, no one is going give you the satisfaction of replying other than me of course.

Genuinely didn't like it. Rubbed me up the wrong way. When the guy started referencing Lovecraft wrong, I rolled my eyes. It's been a while since I saw it, but I remember it being a jumbled mess. Came out not wanting to revisit it.

Well Scream isn't good so I guess I could give you other movies that are equally bad

>replying to bait

Okay, you can sit there and feel superior, go ahead. If you want to be intentionally obtuse and ignore my central point, it's your choice. Let's not try to discuss anything, that's a good idea.
>b-bad opinions
Jesus, dude. Think critically for once in your life.

Fuck this movie.

>i-it's bait because I don't agree
Wow

Theyre not always superior but if done correctly they fool the eye more easily.

Can't hear that title without getting in the mood for 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers'

About to watch all the alien movies on suptv

Very comfy night

You aren't even speaking from a critical perspective. You are looking at things with your own personal preferences. Also who comes to these threads and looks at movies from a critical point of view?. That's pure autism. The general is for people to come and talk about the shit they like and maybe some things they don't like. What you're doing is ass-backwards and trying to go into the nitty gritty aspects of a film while crying about how others are being too blunt for you to handle. Then you expect others to argue whatever your central point is even though your central point is opinion based and no matter what other say, you will just continue to repeat yourself making the conversation pointless. That's not fun nor does it add to the thread.

The trailer that piqued my interest centered around literally every scary part of the film: the creature in the hallway that looks straight out of The Thing, the creature in the water tank, the old guy's eyes turned inside his head, etc. I was pretty disappointed to find out that those were the only scary parts, and the gaps were full of dialogue and exposition that didn't really have a payoff, but I still enjoyed it for what it was. It bombed hard, so I'm surprised others saw it. Every time I mention it to my coworkers whenever they discuss movies, nobody knows what it is.

>Blumhouse Productions

every.single.time

Why are you creeps like this

HAHA LOOK AT ME REDDIT IM ACTING LIKE A DICK ON TEH INTERNET XDDD

Too bad they put out most;y garbage.

Speaking of Lovecraft, is Dagon good?

Love me some Stuart Gordon.

>The general is for people to come and talk about the shit they like and maybe some things they don't like.
This is called being critical. Maybe discussing why we like or don't like certain things. Being critical is a simple as saying 'Well I liked this because X but didn't like these because Y', or can be as nitty gritty as you want. Movies people make and love deserve to be looked at for their merits, or faults. If understanding why you like something, or why you don't is autism, then boy I must be a grade A hyperautist from the 4th dimension!

I might be spouting my opinions, but my opinions are generally grounded in some kind of observation. Opinions come from things. And they can change with discussion and learning. You want to avoid that?

Has some great stuff but there's some terrible cgi in it. great setting and fish people. The MC and all the characters you're suppose to care about aren't really likable though. They're all sort of richy folks who you expect live in malibu or some shit. Got the same feeling from the movie, The Guardian. Those kinds of people just arent fit for being a main protagonist. It;s one of the more weaker Gordon films. I'd say Re-Animator, From Beyond, and Dolls are better. It's as good as Castle Freak though.

Dagon's fun, but like every other Stuart Gordon movie, is a shit Lovecraft movie. It's a loose adaptation of Shadow Over Innsmouth with some big location and character changes. Some of the basics are still there, but it's been, in my own opinion, needlessly padded out with tits. They're nice tits, yes, but I'd rather more fishmen in my fishmen horror story.

Wtf, you faggots recommended halloween 3 and its not even about Myers, and it also has the shittiest ratings out of all of them

Halloween 3 is super fucking goofy but really fun

It’s very good considering it’s budget and compared to most “Lovecraft” inspired movies, specially the scene in the Hotel and the creepy town

Dog Soldiers is bretty clear of CGI, except for one bit in the finale, but its quaint. Not quite 100% horror if you ask me.

Anyone else seen “the autopsy of Jane Doe”, I thought it was very good with a great atmosphere and a “Lovecraft” vibe

>it also has the shittiest ratings out of all of them
I don't see how this is possible when 5, 6 and Resurrection exist

III is kino

I second this

Very artistic user

Should have bit the fucker in half.

>Because Pumpkinhead looks completely photorealistic right?

You're saying it doesn't?

I think it's a really cool design but it wouldn't fool me, no.

Pumpkinhead is such a quality film
yeah it's cheap around the edges, but they spent the money in all the right places
Lance Henriksen acts his heart out, that scene of him digging up the fetus in the pumpkin patch is kino

think I'm gonna have to make it a regular viewing around Halloween

thank you. Deciding what I should do next.

Was entertaining until the best bro got killed off. Reveal near the end was seen a mile away.

No lie, watched it again recently while dude weed lmaoing and got teary eyed when he goes to the shanty town asking for the old woman and the guy that bought the feed tells him to go bury his boy.

>Henriksen acts his heart out
Fuck yeah.
>Regretting his decision of using Pumpkinhead
>"GOD-DAMN YOU!"
>"He already has..."

something about these later eighties horror movies just do it in such a way, that jades the shit out of me.

What are some good Australian/Ozploitation or New Zealand horror films?

>chad's name is chad
this was surprisingly fun. any others like it? besides scream, cabin in the woods and shaun of the dead, of course.

Blood and Black Lace

Housebound and Deathgasm are two great recent kiwi horror-comedy movies

Just made this for you guys.

will do this at some point

I liked it. It felt properly Lovecraftian (even going with a bad end for the protagonist).

>is Dagon good
It's memorable. The last 20 minutes left me reeling because when it goes cuhrazy it goes really cuhrazy.

Sunshine is superior imo. People moan about it turning into a slasher film in the final third, that's precisely what makes it great. I want Danny Boyle to make an Alien film.

this film is wonderful

Worth if for Connelly kino yes.

also worth it for Donald & Chimp detective agency

Uh fuck yeah

Yeah, I enjoyed it. I didnt know what I was getting into when I watched it and I thought by the description it'd be them finding out about a cult through the body or some shit, didnt expect actual supernatural stuff.

Nah, you are just a fag.

Wes Craven's New Nightmare is basically the precursor to Scream if you haven't seen it.

This is kino. Would love a sequel

Stay buttmad, hipster

Am I missing anything good? I don't really like slashers or psychological horror too much though. Haunting movies are my guilty pleasure, even found footage. I just watched Last Shift last night and I was very pleasantly surprised, it was exactly what I was looking for.

No it isn't Pet Cemetery is garbage to anyone who isn't a teenage girl.