The Disaster Artist

So first of all, I really enjoyed it. I haven't laughed that hard in the theater since... Ever. The movie is pretty much a barrel of laughs thoroughly. James Franco is amazing as Tommy. There is a problem though. It seems like the filmmakers weren't really sure if the audience will get it, so there are 'DID YOU GET IT?' moments. Before the movie starts, there is 2 minutes of Hollywood personalities trying to sell you on The Room. Sandy Schklair's (played by Seth Rogen) role in the movie is pretty much just explaining what is going on and why it's funny. After the movie's over there is still ~5 minutes of footage showing scenes from The Room and reenactments by Franco and Co. Also I think that the movie fails to deliver the heaviest emotional punches from the book, instead concentrating on the humor. It works really well, it's super funny and I don't feel like it lacks anything, it's just that The Disaster Artist may be my favorite book of XXIc so far. I also don't know how an audience not aware of The Room would react, maybe Tommy would just be confusing to them? Probably not.
Either way, it may seem like I hated the movie, but I really, really liked it. I think it's one of the best comedies this year and I recommend it to everyone, especially if you enjoy The Room, though this movie stands on its own legs. Also read the fucking book if you haven't. Or listen to the audiobook.

It took me a long time to write it.

kill yourself

Is the "and then the lights went out" scene in the movie? Please tell me it is.

Cool, was hoping it would be funny.
I only watched like 20 minutes of The Room, will i be able to enjoy this movie? I'm well aware of the memes surrounding the movie, though.

Without a doubt

The movie goes on after that to show the audience reaction going from 'I'm embarassed to be in here' to everyone laughing their asses off and Tommy getting visibly more and more annoyed. It's actually done really well and it felt really weird, because the audience I was with laughed as well. Really really weird.

I think yes, but for the experiment's sake don't watch the rest of it before watching The Disaster Artist. I'd like to find out if people who never watched The Room will find Tommy funny.

God damnit. The fucking scene from the book is kino.

The Room
Birdemic
Curse of the Zodiac

The Unholy Trinity of San Francisco 2003-2008

There were powers at work we do not understand.

Actually both scenes are kino as fuck, I prefer the book one but this was also legitimatelly well done.
The problem is that after 'The End' the movie goes on for 5 minutes.

sounds bad

I am really hyped for watchign it,OP. Thanks for the review. Sounds like I might have the same problems like you. I really hate it, when they explain HOW the audience have to feel about the stuff they show on screen

>I really hate it, when they explain HOW the audience have to feel about the stuff they show on screen
Yeah, they do it a bunch.

This story must be told.

Read your post senpai and will pick up the book!

This is because a lot of "dude comedy lmfao XD" guys will watch it and they probably wanna explain it to them throughly.
Blade Runner didn't and look how it turned out for them.

But it's a sad thing that people don't like to think on their own and maybe discuss the movie and their personal feelings afterwards, isn't it.

I mean I remember watching Evil Dead 2 the very first time and didn't know ANYTHING about it. I was suspecting a straight forward dark horror movie and I was blown away how surreal and funny it turned out to be combined with all the horror stuff. I was thinking at first that I maybe jsut had some sick kind of humour but talking to people who had also seen it if of course turned out that everybody loved the way Raimi added slapstick into the mix.

Or take Haneke's movies for instance. Those are movie really worth discussing afterwards because everybody feels a bit different about the stuff that is show in there. And those are the movies that stick in your mind for years in my opnion.

I enjoy reading it.

It's still worth it, just don't pay attention to Seth Rogen explaining everything that's happening.

bump

I saw only trailers and I don't want to watch it because of what I saw.
Would be great if they made a movie based on Tommy's "autobiography" in Disaster Artist book and not some kind of parody sketch.

>Would be great if they made a movie based on Tommy's "autobiography" in Disaster Artist book
They hint at his origins, but there's no flashbacks.
>some kind of parody sketch
There's barely any parody in there, trailers really misrepresented it.

>trailers really misrepresented it.
Alright, I'll give it a try, then. Thanks, mate.

Is the James Dean trip scene in the movie?

Yes.

James Franco is great as Tommy and should be nominated if not win an Oscar. He totally disappears in the role.

What a story