MAUS Storytime

I wanted to run this a couple days ago but my connection was too shitty to do so, so here we go.

I'm only running volume one for now, depending on how this storytime goes I may run the second one at a later date.

Yes, these are scans. Signed scans at that. I don't think this has ever been uploaded to Comixology, which is just plain weird.

bump for you OP

Whoops.

Oh nice, Sup Forums's early.

Thanks, but don't worry, I won't need them.

God I hated the father so much.

Oh, how different Maus would have been if he didn't burn his dead wife's diaries.

How appropriate they made jews rodents.

That was the whole fucking point user, the jews were rats because jews were considered vermin by the Germans, there's no coincidence here.

>expecting Sup Forums to have reading comprehension

Sup Forums are vermin themselves.

>ah, i love a good turn around

The father was the most interesting part for me and the fact that he's like the way he is in his old age.

I like this Warsaw kid already

I read the comic, but I was not totally convinced
It's a little "anti communist", you know, showing the US as heroes and without talking about russia (or very little).
Knowing that they practically ended the war in Stalingrad.

I thought it was just because the cat/mouse analogy made for an easy victim/predator image.

That too, and Americans are dogs for obvious reasons.

It is a very skewed view of the war, Italians and Japanese don't even figure much here even. I don't think it's meant to be super faithful though.

Also, I think this is kind of overrated, with some autobio comics that came later being much better from a narrative standpoint. With that said, it is a very important book, and something that changed the paradigm of American comic books forever.

I think it's because were viewing things through the lens of the father. We focus on what's most important or relevant to him. America's more relevant to him, and he eventually moves there. Ergo, it's what the story focuses on.

I don't know why you'd expect an omniscient perspective from the memoirs of the son of an American immigrant.

Good point, I just seemed a bit weird

Exactly, he's not a reliable narrator, but the story has to remain faithful to his point of view, otherwise it's less of an autobio comic and more of a documentary.

Most books in this category with any biographical elements are going to be skewed and biased.

The Japanese didn't care much about what was happening in Europe, they cared about their own endeavors. As Germany and Italy gave no fucks about what was happening with Japan, it was just a symbolic alliance really.

Quite a few autobiographical manga from Japan (like Barefoot Gen) don't talk about the European powers during the war, only what was happening between Japan, Asia and the US.

Make sense really, like I said, it's an autobio, not a documentary. It's those biases that make them interesting.

I remember reading Maus I for freshman english class but I never got to read Maus II is it better or worse? just wanna know if its worth my time

Gotta go take care of something, brb

I liked it better. It's pretty much more of what we got in the first series, and adding closure to everything.

When do we get to the murder

Maus is a complete story told in two volumes, the second one isn't really a sequel but a proper conclusion.

How many chapters are there in part 1? Thanks for uploading, by the way.

Six, but they don't all have the same length.

Before I go on to read the entire thing, what is the general consensus on Maus? I've seen it everywhere in book stores. How good is it?

Its all from the viewpoint of his father who is a holocaust survivor but also a human being in many of his beliefs. Theres a scene where they pick up an american black hitchhiker and his father is racist as fuck towards him.

Well, like I said earlier, it doesn't hold up all that well if you're versed in autobio comics, but it's otherwise a very important, revolutionary piece of comic book writing so I'd say it's as worth reading as Watchmen or Persepolis.

If you're interested in the Holocaust, or want a gritty and harsh story, it's pretty good. I give it a 4/5.

The dad will probably piss you off at times, but that's to be expected of a deliberately-crotchety and embittered character.

>The Japanese didn't care much about what was happening in Europe, they cared about their own endeavors. As Germany and Italy gave no fucks about what was happening with Japan, it was just a symbolic alliance really.

Honestly, the European theatre and the Pacific theatre are almost two completely separate wars whose timelines overlap. We (Americans/Anglos) see them as one war as we fought both simultaneously.

This right here! We Americans/Anglos probably see it as one war as we went to both wars at the same time, but yes, they were almost seperate wars just occurring at the same time.

What a crotchety old man dick move

>Her family was nice, but had no money, even for a dowry.
You know, I get that she was a clingy bitch, and I get that times were different back then, but fucking christ that is the pettiest fucking reason for never seriously even considering a girl for a relationship.