Was it actually possible to figure out who shit Mr. Burns with the clue provided before the reveal?

Was it actually possible to figure out who shit Mr. Burns with the clue provided before the reveal?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SALl4HnX2pw
nohomers.net/showthread.php?52727-What-Was-Your-Reaction-To-Who-Shot-Mr-Burns/page2
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The plot was based entirely on some other tv special from the 60's where the baby was also the killer.

Some woman solved it, so unless she just guessed I'd say yes.

She ended up just taking the money.

I want to post this series of videos because it's well made and relevant.
youtube.com/watch?v=SALl4HnX2pw

Of course it was, it's obvious his mother shit him out.

Yes, there was a post on one of the Simpsons newsgroups made a ridiculously short amount of time the episode aired based on clues from the episode (lollipop and "taking candy from a baby," sundial, etc.) and correctly concluding it was Maggie. I'm sure there were others too but that one can still be found today; others probably came to the same conclusion too given the facts but since it was 1995 there's not a lot of internet record.

As far as I know that guy didn't enter the actual contest though, probably because it was some dumb "pay to call this number and place your bet" thing.

No. He doesn't remember his employee's names, not to mention the names of their children.
pointing to SW or, "M. S." as Lisa deduced, was a complete fluke.

And it's been a long time. But as I recall Maggie wasn't even a suspect in any of the promotional material.

Shut up Boco

Except there was a gag in that very episode where he named all the Simpsons except Homer. It was when Homer sent him the chocolate box.

Yes sir...

If every person guessed one random person, someone would be right. Broken clocks and all that. It doesn't mean that someone working with the clues should be able to piece it all together.

This. The whole reason Homer said he wanted to kill him was because Homer was some kind of special exception Burns could never remember.

>shit

I got a laugh out of this

Well not exactly, remember when he mistook that guy's son Ronaldo for his other son Romando?

She won because of a lotto system. There was only 1 person who guessed Maggie, and he didn't use the hotline like it required. He correctly picked Maggie on some internet forum.

TLDR: STFU Boco

>who shit mister Burns

Post your face when they revealed it was maggie.

Also leading off of this, it wasn't only one guy. Multiple people, online, did guess Maggie (though only one guy did the night the episode aired), whether through figuring it out or just knowing that since Simpsons is a comedy it's obviously going to end with a joke answer.

Somehow the Simpsons newsgroup lost many posts from 1995, but here's part of a post one of the people who guessed in the summer of 1995 made compiling the reasons for it being Maggie:

>Maggie did it!
>Ok, I believe the majority of people on here (at least the people who have seen the episode) know Maggie is the culprit. So, I believe we should compile a list of reasons for and against her being the culprit.
>She is a popular charactor that the average watcher can identify with and every loves a baby!
>She is small. Burns would have to look down at her. Remember, Burns' shadow was looking down!
>Burns would recognize her. As he did say, Oh, it's YOU
>They could struggle. Remember in episode 1F01 Maggie and Mr. Burns struggle over Bobo. Anyone else would not have to struggle with him.
>Her initials sorta fit -- if you turn the W upside down. M. S. -- Maggie Simpson.
>Maggie stares him down at the meating when no one else does.
>Maggie had a piece of candy (lollipop) and burns wanted to take candy from a baby earlier in the episode.
>Burns was shot with his own gun. We know this because his holster was empty when he collapsed.

Source: nohomers.net/showthread.php?52727-What-Was-Your-Reaction-To-Who-Shot-Mr-Burns/page2

>skinner has M as his middle initial
>moe got his last name because of this episode
>clocks kept showing the hands at 9 or 12
>burns refers to santas lil helper as "Simpson Mutt"
>they went out of their way to make it look like smithers was guilty
>they also tried to stuff as many MS or WS initials associated with characters as possible

It was pretty well done.

Also post is edited to remove obviously wrong evidence or typical newsgroup bullshit; full version can be seen in the link.

Yeah, Oakley and Weinstein talk about it on the episode commentary. All the SW/WS/MS/SM stuff

There was this whole thing about the number 3 popping up throughout the whole episode. A earlier episode in that season was named "And Maggie makes three". It is very possible.

she was on the promo stuff I remember, mostly side of the cereal box type promotions.

When it aired, I thought it was Patti or Selma (I forget which) because Burns was shot in the front and collapsed on the sundial on his stomach, so the bullet wound wasn't visible. But when the crowd comes up, she says, "Mr Burns has been shot!" Seemed suspicious to me at the time.

The only person that guessed it right didn't enter, so they just ended up picking some random woman that did enter who said Smithers did it.

Yeah. He even refers to Santa's Little Helper as "that Simpson Mutt", which was another WS/SM red herring

>They could struggle. Remember in episode 1F01 Maggie and Mr. Burns struggle over Bobo. Anyone else would not have to struggle with him.
>Burns was shot with his own gun. We know this because his holster was empty when he collapsed.

These are actually pretty brilliant deductions.

When you tell people to guess a big twist you'll always have those Sherlock Holmes that catch all the details.
That said more props to the writers leaving that trail because many times that kind of twist is such a smug "you'll never guess" ass pull.

The episode seemed to suggest Mr. Burns' brain quite literally has some sort of block on ever remembering Homer Simpson. When he first woke up, his mind wasn't all there and it sort of went into reverse, so that instead Homer's name was all he could say. At least that's what I got out of it.

Ho! Mer Simp son!

>that america's most wanted special

Shit was great.

Remember when TV Guide held a contest on which of four characters would die in the Mega Lo Mart explosion? They had four collectable "potential victim" cards - Hank, Luanne, Chuck Mangione, and Buckley - and if you got the right one, you could send it in for a chance to be animated into the show.

Never heard about any winner, but it did kind of spoil it, since Buckley was the obvious choice. Although I think I remember hearing that they were seriously considering killing off Hank to mess with traditional sitcom procedure.

Now I'm just having flash backs to Hush, Sins Past, Ultimates 3, Identity Crisis and what ever that arc was where Cassandra Cain was some super shadow mob boss villain twist.

>Although I think I remember hearing that they were seriously considering killing off Hank to mess with traditional sitcom procedure.

Mike wanted to try, he really wanted to pull it off but he knew it was so extreme that even if he got it past Fox the show would dive in quality because without Hank "It's just assholes being assholes to each other"
Chuck Mangione apparently ask to be the dead one at some point because he wanted to have fun and have an album title "Back from the Grave" but Mike wanted to keep him around for future episodes. (The album was named "The Feeling's Back")

didn't go clean through?
agreed. that and the taking candy from a baby thing.
I'm impressed Sup Forums figured out the whole gravity falls thing so flawlessly

There was 1 guy that both figured out it was Maggie, and picked out the clues that backed it up instead of just randomly guessing. However the show staff was unable to contact him afterwards.

Anything besides Lisa's M S clue? The fact that she was on the scene, I suppose.