2017 Academy Awards

I must have missed the threads, but since Pixar, Illumination, Sony, and Dreamworks were all shut out and there are two stop motion films in the running, what's the betting line like now? Which movie is Sup Forums backing?

Other urls found in this thread:

cartoonbrew.com/award-season-focus/proof-that-oscar-voters-are-clueless-about-animation-109456.html
youtube.com/watch?v=y9Zk4vMSwnc
the-numbers.com/movie/Moana#tab=box-office
forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/06/12/zootopia-and-the-disney-animated-b-movie/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm worried that "Moana" will win because it was the most recently released Disney movie. It's not bad, but there were other movies that deserved the nom more, let along the win.

I still haven't seen "My Life as a Zucchini" and "Red Turtle" yet. For now, I honestly think "Zootopia" is the best of the nominated movies.

I'm disappointed by the exclusion of Long Way North, Your Name, and Miss Hokusai, but also extremely relieved that Trolls and Sausage Party didn't make the cut either.

I've not seen My Life as a Zucchini, but it better be something special to push Long Way North out of a spot.

Zootopia is a good bet, but I'm hoping it splits the votes with Moana and Kubo gets the nod instead. Not their best movie, but Laika deserves the recognition.

Obviously Zootopia will win everything.

The Red Turtle is beautiful but not very engaging and pretty weird, conceptually.

My Life as a Zucchini is just sad orphans doing sad things.

Kubo and the Two Strings is forgettable.

Moana is very by-the-numbers and doesn't have much flair of its own, despite being good overall.

>Your Name, and Miss Hokusai,
Opinion discarded

My hope is Kubo
My bet is Zootopia or Moana

I like Moana and Kubo better than Zootopia, but Zootopia tells it's story better

I haven't watched the other two, but I probably will and would definitely if I was in the deciding panel

I feel Zootopia already got enough recognition, and the rest should go to Kubo, even though I liked Moana more than both of them.

I'm betting Disney is pushing Moana harder anyway, because its box office could use the Oscar bump.

I don't have time to discuss the nominees for animated films for children, I have to make important phone calls.

t. Academy voter

I've not had a chance to see My Life as a Zucchini or The Red Turtle yet.

Of the lot, I'd like to see Kubo win just because it's a fine film and Laika deserves some love. I'd be fine with Zootopia winning though.

I'm baffled by the decision to nominate How Far I'll Go rather than You're Welcome for Best Song though if only because the latter would have made for a great live performance.

Haven't seen Your Name or Long way North, but Miss Hokusai was underwhelming. The Boy and the Beast I would've rooted for, but otherwise this year's nominees are solid

Yeah, don't really get why How Far I'll Go got nominated over the others, other than just being an average princess song. Your Welcome or Shiny are great songs, How Far I'll Go is just so forgettable and sounds unremarkable

Of all of these movies I don't get why Moana was nominated, it was so damn boring.

My bet is Zootopia, directors of this movie try everything to make it as relevant as possible: "zootopia has hidden message for Trump", and there was something about #BLM recently.It's cringe but whatever, I like movies with talking animals, so I root for zoot.

I liked all the films I've seen too. I just felt Red Turtle was a bit too thin, while Moana is another Disney formula pic. However finely executed it was, it's more of the same.

Long Way North and Your Name were both striking in their visuals, with the former having a very original look. I would have no qualms about giving Red Turtle's spot to either of them.

Moana - 3:1
Zootopia - 9:1
Kubo - 20:1
Red Turtle: 80:1
My Life as a Zucchini - 500:1

This movie is still in cinemas? I thought I could buy it at WalMart at this point.

Obviously Zootopia or Moana will get the win, and pic is how they will do it. If Zootopia wins, I'll prob be fine. If Moana, I might just have to flip a table.

Brave 2.0 , god , the trailer was more interesting than whole movie.

Is my life as a zucchini available with subs anywhere?

>Kubo
>red turtle
>zucchini

Freaking Chinese cartoons no one saw.
Dies normies even care about the Oscars? I highly doubt it.it's just a quality sticker.

>Kubo
>Chinese
You're funny.

Red turtle and zucchini are french, at least you tried Sup Forums.

cartoonbrew.com/award-season-focus/proof-that-oscar-voters-are-clueless-about-animation-109456.html

>I only see movies my kid wants to see
>I ain't goin' to a cartoon on my own!

This is (one of the many) reasons why animation is the only medium to be shackled. Every other one can do whatever it wants. Not animation.

Moana was nowhere near as disjointed and half-assed as Brave.

I don't get why someone would use "freakin" and "fucking" in the same sentence.

This was still eligible to be nominated, right? I think it should've been.

Long Way North is splendid. Gripping, offers multiple levels of reading, is set in an unusual place and period, talks about sea, exploration, values and comradry, and it has a rebellious teenager female protagonist done right in that she rebels for a reason and not just because fuck da police, and it actually causes her harm since tsarist russia wasn't the most open of societies
A true movie for the whole family. Beautiful too.
IMO far superior to the red turtle, if we have to compare indie movies.

It's a bit limited by its rather short format and its need to be G-rated I'm pretty sure they eat the dogs at some point, but it takes place between the scenes.

IIRC, Red Turtle is dutch-directed japan-animated, while Zucchini is swiss.

Red Turtle is has been mostly animated in Europe.

the world's beloved ZOOTOPIA absolutely deserves to be nominated and win an Oscar by unanimous assent.

freaking chinese stop-mo KUBO, no one saw, even don't have a japanese wikipedia page, despite its ancient jap story.

How is this even a comparison??????

You're right, it's been entirely animated in France. Dudok de Wit only went to japan for some help on the storyboard. Wonder how it was recieved in Japan, since it's co-produced by Ghibli.

Fave part of Brave was how it scored the lowest in rankings... but won anyway!

It's not cute and it's artsy so it bombed.
Ghibli films don't work well there beside Miyazaki's ones.

Not exactly, Red Turtle is french, belgian and japanese, however it was co-written by a dutch. And zucchini is swiss and french, actually the film is an adaptation of a french novel.

The Little Price and Long Way North were both great.

And speaking of North.
youtube.com/watch?v=y9Zk4vMSwnc

You know what's sad, filmmakers want to make their own Kino (Proto-Zoo, Kubo) execs wants to make money, meanwhile academy doesn't give a shit, and gives away " Shrek awards" because they are salty about Beauty and the Beast nominated for best picture like "real" movies.

We live in a Bizarro world.

Can't wait for this year interviews.should be fun.

Happy to see someone who talk about Long Way North!

>Caring about Animated Oscars when we all know Disney gonna win either way.

I just want them to go up on stage carrying the dolls and making these faces.

I only care about the Oscars because they help certains films to gain some recognition.

^This.

Long Way North created more genuine tension with its slow moving, creaking glaciers than all the effects-laden action sequences of Moana. It also has one of the most believable, strong female leads who wasn't just "better than the boys" or a magical princess, but gained the respect of her crew through determination, honor, and humility.

It's the anti-Hollywood animated blockbuster.

It was eligible and submitted, didn't make the cut. Botched theatrical run didn't help.

At least the academy can tell when something's complete shit.

Speaking of which, anyone else glad Sausage Party didn't nom? I recall frequent threads of Sup Forums worried it would get in, but that never happened. Again, the acad can tell when something's festering shit.

this film was a letdown desu. visually legit, but the story was underwhelming, especially the end was like a cheesy fanfic.
Saint-Exupéry would roll over in his grave if he saw this film.

>botched theatrical run
>meanwhile direct to video movies can be released in theaters

Still salty.

As I understand it, the nominees are largely chosen by people in the animation guild or some other connection to animation. These voters were never going to support a film that screwed its own animators so hard.

You'd think people who work in the industry would care a little bit more than not at all.

The nominees are not chosen by the voters.

That's from a ballot for picking the winner, which is not the same as choosing the nominees. The final ballot is open to the entire academy/industry. That douche could be grip boy #3 for all we know.

>kubo and the meme strings
>the red memetle
>meme life as a zucchini
>long meme north
>your meme

meh ('A`)

all these freaking chinese cartoons, no one saw, DON'T deserve to win the world's most authoritative awards.

give up your futile resistance, and make way for DISNEY, ZOOTOPIA winning will fill Sup Forums with happiness!

Are we sure this guy's not working for Disney instead of just being a 2/10 troll?

I know this is just shitposting, but honestly this isn't a bad year. There's nothing on the nominee list that's obviously shit that doesn't deserve to be there, much as some people might have a beef with the Disney picks.

They even kept Pixar off the list for once. Granted it was a sequel to a former winner so not an unexpected snub, but still.

I'd consider Moana to be formulaic garbage that knows it's garbage and doesn't deserve to be there, but that's just me.

Also, I miss legitimate Disney villains. Ever since the Innocent Deceiver came about, we lost guys like Scar, Jafar and Ursula. Seriously, Shiny is the most Disney Villain-esque song in years, and it's for a character who barely factors into the plot.

Personally I liked how it was... refreshingly simple, in a good way? Probably the wrong word... straightforward? Down-to-earth maybe?

>Moana - 3:1
>Zootopia - 9:1
these two are backwards

>it's just a quality sticker.
exactly it's like Rotten Tomatoes only it tells you if a movie is GREAT instead of just good or bad

I'd say it's more of a way for companies to get more money off the movie, since it adds one more label they can use to get money. If something won an Oscar, people want to see it, so people buy the home release in droves, and money flows in like crazy.

That's literally all it is: a trap for normies to make themselves richer so they can bribe the judges next year..

>Pixar, Illumination, Sony, and Dreamworks were all shut out
Why?

Probably all that bundled together. It's a movie with surprisingly low stakes on the surface (teenage girl trying to find what happened to her grandfather and save his reputation). But it manages to create endearing characters, so you end up totally invested in their struggles.
I mean, it's a french movie, but it could have been made in russia considering how much it will make your root for russian polar exploration.

And sweet jesus, those facial expressions and silences. I've never seen people exchange so many things without a word in any other movie.
In the end, I would say that it's lovingly crafted and not pretentious at all.

I've heard that development was kind of hellish, with multiple drafts from various authors; I'm glad it turned out ok.

>the world's beloved

save for Sup Forums , i mean /trash/ does anyone else care about the movie anymore? it's not like frozen, where girls and their moms literally stormed stores in search for elsa dolls.

zucchini is swiss

>Kubo and the Two Strings is forgettable.
So no Rule34 of Kubo
>mfw

and then say something cringeworthy about diversity , racism and sloths.

I think Zootopia is a shoe in for best animated picture. But I hope Kubo gets the VFX award.

Kubo deserves it but the oscars are full of shit and don't care about animation
DO NOT SEXUALIZE KUBO

Is Moana flopping?

the-numbers.com/movie/Moana#tab=box-office

dont think so.

people still remember DUMBO and BAMBI even though 70 years have passed, obviously the same goes for ZOOTPPIA,

the movie will go down as an eternal masterpiece, while no one gives a shit about KUBO the MEME onionrings.

the Oscars will tell us the fact that
disney is the only """"right answer"""" of our time.

they do? today's youth refuse to watch anything that's not cgi, it's apparently below them.

Yep, in fact, i saw Dwayne Johnson cosplaying as Bambi in a SNL skit one or two years ago.
Disney classics are still relevant today.

$240M is hardly a flop, it's just not quite the breakout hit Zootopia was, especially internationally. It did get passed up by Sing a couple weekends ago, and despite increasing its theater count by roughly 50% this weekend, presumably in response to Oscar nomination, Moana's still way down there where it's out of most theaters that aren't either second-run cinemas or massive multiplexes with enough screens to run a dozen-plus different movies.

>swiss movie without a swissgerman dub
preposterous!

>Moana is getting more screenings
>Zootopia was going strong despite Disney removing it from the cinemas ASAP
(i remember, that, i was making that mortal kombat ladder )

why they push brown people so hard?

Moana came out more recently so it has the edge.

I don't think it's Disney pushing brown people. I think it's probably the Asian market's lack of interest in watching them. Asia can make a huge difference in a film's outcome.

Zootopia was supposed to be Disney's B movie for the year and it has made something around twice Moana's grossings.

People just don't care about Brown Disney characters for shit, Sup Forums proves me wrong again.

They only really pulled it from theaters because the DVD got released. And even then it managed to do what only two other movies in the past decade did, which was spend over 12 weekends in the top ten. The other two were Avatar and Frozen.

>Zootopia was supposed to be Disney's B

can someone confirm this?

I think we got that off this article that came out right after the first teaser trailer.
forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/06/12/zootopia-and-the-disney-animated-b-movie/

I think we're mostly judging its B-movie-ness by when they released the film. It wasn't in Finding Dory's date to take advantage of summer vacation, it wasn't in Moana's date to take advantage of the holiday season, they just went "Eh, we'll stick it in March." and it took off anyway.

ahh, that proves nothing, meanwhile i heard it was going to be a franchise starter

If it was supposed to be a franchise starter, you'd think they would have marketed it a bit more. There was never even a Zootopia breakfast cereal.

Why do we care? The judges don't even watch the animated movies they vote on.

impatient.

Worldwide stands at 533M currently. Assuming a 150M budget, Moana has turned a profit of around 50~100 million from box office alone.

Which is nice, but the Illumination movies that have half the budget to do 1B in theaters have skewed everyone's expectations.

illumination movies are equivalent of mcdonalds.

Zootopia should win. Moana met expectations but Zootopia exceeded them so almost perfectly.

>TWO FUCKING DISNEY FILMS FOR ONE YEAR

I hope they split the votes and kubo dark horses its way in

What pixar movie even came out last year?

None. They blew their load on the double dip of inside out and good dinosaur

Finding Dory. And it was better than Nemo. Nemo has like a whole middle half where nothing fucking happens.