Earth Kingdom: China

>Earth Kingdom: China
>Fire Nation : Japan
>Water Tribe : Native Indians and Eskimos
>Air Nomads: Buddhist monks of Nepal and Tibet

Can we discuss about how well done the world building of Avatar was? I dont think we'll get a cartoon this well thought out and written for a while

were do us white people fit in?

where are the arabs?

they're just fucking elemental factions, big fucking whoop.

If you go by the ethnographic map you'd most likey be indian, since the closest and obly indian like characters we see would be guru patik and wu

I am so sick of this bullshit.
Fire Nation had a bunch of Thai and Chinese influence. The architecture was especially Thai-looking.
The Air Nomads follow a monastic lifestyle more similar to those of Shaolin monks than Tibetan ones. They are even vegetarian - Tibetan Buddhists are NOT vegetarian.
Accept that these fantasy cultures were a mixture of multiple real-world ones rather than direct counterparts.

The sandbenders are based on Tuaregs so they sorta count but not really.

This.

Its fucking great, but a little more complicated than that.

Earth Kigdom has similarities with plenty of different chinese dynasties, with clothes and buildings that reflect that. Guru Patik stands out being a dravidian.

Kyoshi island is based on Hokkaido, and the people from there dress like Ainu people.

The Fire Nation style of architeture is based on Thailand architeture, you can fucking google and check yourself how amazing it is. Also, before turning into "fantasy Japan", the FN was mostly similar to a south american culture, ruled by the Fire Sages as priests, until one of them became Fire Lord.

And there are much more interesting details about the worldbuilding.

Say whatever you want about Bryke, but they did a great work fleshing the culture of the nations on ATLA.

>Say whatever you want about Bryke, but they did a great work fleshing the culture of the nations on ATLA.
A kid reading about Asian cultures on Wikipedia could do the same job. The Air Nomads are so fucking corny with their Shangri-la design.

>The Air Nomads are so fucking corny with their Shangri-la design.
I always hated that about the Air Nomads. Tibet was a mess but according to fucks like Richard Gere it was a peaceful Buddhist dreamland that only went to shit because of the Chinese. I wish we got to see how corrupt the Air Nomads really were but Bryke probably buy into that happy Buddhist stereotype.

Well, you can name a cartoon that did it better than ATLA.

Twelve Kingdoms.

I always felt like their world was really tiny, but I guess that's because there's only 4 nations at all.

I was talking about western cartoons mate.

Even so, it is pretty obvious that half of Bryke isnt a "kid reading wikipedia" because at least one of them is a huge asiaboo, and is fluent not only on chinese, but ANCIENT chinese.

Imagine the Air Nomads owning tantric sex slaves and putting all laypersons under serfdom

>all laypersons
Everyone within their nation was an Airbender/Air Nomad according to Bryke.

>I was talking about western cartoons mate.
It's still a cartoon. Or do you wanna go into how Avatar could be considered an "anime".

>at least one of them is a huge asiaboo, and is fluent not only on chinese, but ANCIENT chinese.
They can't read Chinese. They hired Chinese speakers. And they get Buddhists concepts wrong all the time.

It's an AU.

Isn't monasticism special because you have to CHOOSE to reject the all earthly desires. Being born into a culture where it is the norm just cheapens it from a religious perspective.

In that case, imagine the Air Nomads looking down on the serfs who are little more than barbarians by the time of the show whom Aang has to learn to connect with as they're mostly the only ones that survived.

I've always felt like that was one of the things that made the world feel smaller. Every single Airbender had to be an Air Nomad, there's no variation.

Bryke aren't exactly experts on Eastern philosophy, user.

>And they get Buddhists concepts wrong all the time.
Korra had me laughing out loud because of that. I thought Aang getting hit in the back by a rock was bad enough.

>i learnt muh compassion through suffering

Speaking of Korra, did the concept of the Spirit World feel radically different to anyone else?

It's based on the Western stereotype that every single Tibetan is a monastic or highly religious.

>Or do you wanna go into how Avatar could be considered an "anime".

?

Yeah, the one in ATLA felt like the Shinto concepts of Spirit Realms. It got messed up in Korra and felt more like Wonderland.

We Christian now.

Having an entire civilization be monastic would be unsustainable as hell. They're monks and nuns so why are they having sex?
I would have liked it if the Air Nomads did the Tibetan thing where they remove every firstborn son from families and have the remaining relatives work until they die.

>Having an entire civilization be monastic would be unsustainable as hell. They're monks and nuns so why are they having sex?

Because the nomads have no chastity vows.

Not every monk from every religion has.

>only a couple of mostly homogeneous nations
>one of them is composed only of airbending monks
>one of them seems composed of a single tiny village at the time of AtlA
>one person is automatically super special
>the distances make little sense

I love the setting but it feels very tiny.

It is. ATLA takes place on a tiny fucking planet. Its like, the size of our moon. The earth kingdom is canon the only large continent.

It make sense in all that acrobatics and weak metal constructions. Low gravity!

What culture would you like to be born in Sup Forums? Earth Kingdom would be fucking rad to explore

Air Nomads. You can pretty much go anywhere.

Fire master race

swampbenders

Water really got a bad deal from the setting.

Air nation are (were) located in multiple areas and can travel and intermingle despite Roku and the others before him saying things like "four separate nations." Has Shaolin monk and Tibetan vibes.
Fire nation has islands and a nice climate constantly. Japanese and Taiwanese influences.
Earth nation is the most expansive and diverse in environment. China and China things.

Water is just cold and Inuit isolation.

but dude water tribe pussy

Worst girl desu

Worst user desu

Worst post desu

>>Fire Nation :mongols

You can have those without being from the WT yourself. See Aang and Asami.

But they have Japanese names.
I only remember Earth guys having Mongol names.

Worst (You) desu

How the fuck is Zuko a japanese name

Next to the nomads water benders had more potential to be in harmony with the spirits. What with the spirits teaching water bending in the first place. The portals being near them and also them manipulating their chakra through bending.

Before LoK though. Back when the spirit world was mysterious, not kooky like Wonderland, and you had to meditate into there or have your spirit spirited away by a spirit or celestial event and only your spirit.

I could imagine that they did the portal thing to make the Water tribes more relevant rather than leaving them just at the poles with snow and ice. But it feels off. And it still doesn't give substance like the Earth, Fire, and Air basis having a rich culture to pull from and base events on.

Ah, an Avatar thread. I don't suppose anyone has a link to the pictures figuring out the boob sizes of the girls by matching them with real life pictures? I need it because reasons.

>I fucking hate that these cartoon wizards live in a fantastic dreamland
autism

>tfw no Filipino equivalent
COME ON

There really should've been another nation of waterbenders who lived separately from the others on an archipelago, with a completely different culture based on native Filipino culture. I never did like how they set up the two waterbender nations.

theres a official trade card game wheres its showed one of the air masters as a traitor how sell the location of every air nomand temple to fire lord sozim In exchange of power.

its a official canon EVIL corrupt air nomande, until some other canon popup.

>tfw we'll never see something like an elite order of sound-bending ninja airbenders created to defend the Air Nomads from their enemies

Desu is cancer, des... uh, buddy.

imgur.com/a/Wc2If

I know this url off the top of my head at this point

I've said this before, but the Water Nation really should have had an underwater Atlantean city somewhere in the middle of the map. It would be neato and make sense.

Was literally thinking this a short while ago.

That one scene in the first season of LoK where Korra and Mako iirc walk beneath the sea around Republic City by Korra bending the water around them was really cool. I'd like to seem more of that. Give me an entire underwater fight scene like that too.

wew

>no young Lin Beifong
>no young or MILF Suyin
>no Kya
Shit album desu senpai

>not liking the water tribe