How on Earth do they make money?

How on Earth do they make money?

Other urls found in this thread:

foxbusiness.com/features/2017/10/16/moviepass-will-sell-user-data-to-uber-hollywood-studios-restaurants-to-make-profit.html
cnet.com/news/moviepass-ceo-mitch-lowe-interview-amc/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Selling your personal information.

if you buy one small popcorn they get their money back

Most people see like 5 movies a year, so I guess that's what they're banking on

this.

>dude unlimited movies for x a month!
>oh wait all movies are fucking shit

i feel like i should see every movie to rack up points, but i am unironically embarrassed to see certain movies

>30 movies a month for a small monthly fee

sweet deal, it's like my pirate bay subscription but I have more movies and don't need to pay a subscription

right now they're operating at a loss. If they survive long enough, they'll make money by having a huge user base that doesn't use their service enough and selling their data to companies

foxbusiness.com/features/2017/10/16/moviepass-will-sell-user-data-to-uber-hollywood-studios-restaurants-to-make-profit.html

I have it and can't be assed to go watch the new racebait Elba flick or geostorm. Or that damn miles teller based on a true bullshit movie. Maybe I'll go watch suburbicon

I probably made like $60 in rewards per month so far I try to get a ticket daily most of the time I dont watch the movie. Its double points the past few months at AMC saw blade runner twice in imax and got star wars tickets in advance for free.

for people asking in the last thread, I signed up for movie pass last week and exactly 7 days later my card showed up

Yeah because seeing a shitty 720p torrent rip on your finger-smudged laptop screen is equivalent to watching a movie in a theater.

>yfw showing up to the kinoplex

great assumptions, found it amusing

its actually better
>no niggers
>can pause
>can eat whatever

This. I’ve seen blade runner twice so far using movie pass. Not sure when I’ll go again.

But how could it possibly be worth that much?

The only information they're getting is basic demographic stuff and your movie-viewing habits.

>TFW I bring my own trail mix and water bottle

/biz/ here. I recently made some money shorting their stock.

They pay full price for tickets, and so if you see one movie they make money, if you see two they break even, if you see three they lose money.

They are banking on people not using it basically, which isn't a great strategy for long term growth (a bunch of people not using something don't spread the word).

They also think they can bank on the data, which is likely very valuable but I can't see that being a core - neither can anyone else hence the stock is in the toilet.

LOL they can have it.

They lost money on my first ticket purchase.

Same here my dude. First time I've actually had a play work out really well.

Holy shit youre dumb. You must have some trashcan loser parents.

lol this is what pathetic poorfag losers have to tell themselves.

Nice. Yeah, normally I don't mess around too much with day trading and play the long game instead but this one I was pretty confident with.

how do you think retards on youtube are making generous livings?

>doesn't believe in the power of the popcorn lobbyists

lol this is what wagecucks have to tell themselves.

All you need to do is combine that with facebook/twitter, youtube, or google history and you have enough to predict a person's personality with almost perfect accuracy. Most of the human race isn't that complex and there's a few billion of them. The problem is that THIS information isn't valuable because of all the alternative, because all those previously mentioned can already be used with eachother in creating a portfolio.

>They are banking on people not using it
This could theoretically work if they market to lazy normies as opposed to people who actually enjoy movies. It's basically the Planet Fitness business model. They target people who they know are unlikely to show up (with their NO INTIMIDATION mantra), charge them $15 a month and let a fuckton of people sign up for each individual location (far more than other chains.) If everyone who belonged to a given Planet Fitness decided to show up one day it would literally be packed wall to wall.

The popcorn doesnt mine itself.

people who actually enjoy movies recognize there hasn't been a good more than 2-3 movies worth watching a year for decades.

those are Sup Forums autists you're talking about, not actual normies that enjoy movies

>They are banking on people not using it basically, which isn't a great strategy for long term growth (a bunch of people not using something don't spread the word).

That's not their plan at all.

They're running the Bill Gates Windows scheme. Mitch Lowe is going to run MoviePass at a loss for a couple of years until people can't live without it. Then, once people are conditioned to the subscription model for movie tickets, he's going to strong arm the theater companies into a sit down meeting.

He's dramatically undercutting the theaters on tickets to their own showings. His goal is to take over the market, having the majority of ticket sales go through him. He'll "own" the customers, which gives him a lot of power when negotiating. AMC is trying to stop MoviePass before it catches fire, because if it grows to the point where the majority of ticket buyers expect a subscription model as well as lots of movies for a little bit of money, he can potentially destroy a company like AMC by blacklisting them from his service.

He's not planning on making any money from this any time soon. He's banking on making shitloads of money in a few years when he dominates the market. He's looking to become Ticketmaster for movies, except with even more of a monopoly.

They're a loss company. Eventually someone will acquire them for the net operating losses.

>t. tax accountant

the thing you're not getting though is that moviepass is paying the theaters the full movie price. You're not buying tickets off of moviepass, moviepass is buying the tickets for you. They're not undercutting the theaters because the theaters are still getting the money

normies don't enjoy movies, movies are just dark, "private" places to take a date.

I imagine they are losing money. Some is probably recouped by the data sales, but their strategy is to build up the base with the low intro price (which is locked in for a year). I guarantee prices will rise again when that period is up.

Afterwards i may unsubscribe, but for now I'm milking the service for all it's worth. Even if it ends ill have enough reward points for a few tickets by then.

>which is locked in for a year)
um....no

I honestly couldn't care less if the movies are shit, they are free and I will go and see them just so I can shit on the them more effectively.

it literally makes almost every movie worth watching

the idea i assume is once enough people are subscribed they can force theaters to sell them the tickets for less while they jack up the subscription fee

risky plan though

if it ever gets to that point, the theaters would just lower their prices

theaters don't stay afloat off of ticket sales though. A majority of that money goes to the movie studios, which would probably never cater to moviepass and would probably back the theaters. The theaters make their money by charging you a 1000% markup on their concessions.

No, the thing that you're not getting is that they're undercutting the theaters because the customers are paying less than the theaters want them to. It's not a problem for the theaters right now, but he's looking to take over their customers and condition them to expect a subscription model.

This is the Netflix guy, remember? He completely changed the way people pay for movies in home entertainment. I'm not making this up; this isn't my guess as to what he's doing. This is his plan. MoviePass has already partnered with a small amount of theaters, and they aren't paying them full price for tickets.

>cnet.com/news/moviepass-ceo-mitch-lowe-interview-amc/

they're running on debt until they can cut deals with studios to sell them marketing data and with theaters to get a cut on concessions sales

MoviePass isn't a publicly traded company yet, weirdos. And H&M, the closest thing to MoviePass stock that you can do anything with had its stock increase by 7.9%. So stop larping about your MoviePass stock moves until they've at least had their IPO.