Children used to buy this in the 1940s

>children used to buy this in the 1940s
>it sold literally millions
>nowadays this seldom sells, and it's for adults only
What went wrong, Sup Forums?

Fun was outlawed.

That's why now we have boring "decompressed" comics about people talking and comics about niggers, lesbians, faggots and people no one likes in real life infesting comics that no one reads.

But you do read them...

I do not. I tried, but I can't stand modern comics.

>mfw reading pre comics code authority horror, crime, and war comics

The read old comics. Everyone is white there although the creators are Jewish, oops.

Pity that the PS Artbooks are so fucking expensive.

The speculator boom, stories tried to get serious after Watchmen and DKR, half of the shelves being clogged with garbage characters who were too edgelord, the other half clogged with books that were super-late that people stopped wanting, and some PHENOMENALLY retarded decisions made by Marvel that nearly got 'em bankrupted, all cuz they were bought buy a guy who said after they bought 'em "WE JUST BOUGHT SUPERMAN!!"

There's a series of SF Debris videos out there that tells the story. He tells it better than I ever could.

The old jews knew what people wanted. Sorry, but I want beautiful people in funny costumes doing fun and crazy impossible things, not ugly niggers in military armor talking about how their lives suck.

Kids simply stopped caring about comics and their merchandise.
Video games are where most their attention lies now.

>What went wrong, Sup Forums?
Comic company fuck ups along with a larger variety of media to consume

Now everyone has a tv (or 5), you have the internet too. Comics have a hell of a lot of competition and it's hard to justify the cost when you can get a monthly netflix subscription for the same cost as just two or three 20 page filled-with-ads comics.

>What went wrong, Sup Forums?
Be less of a newfag

Crime Does Not Pay was made popular by young adults and adolescents, aka the very people you're complaining took over comics now. It's well-regarded as one of the very first comics specifically for an adult audience.

If kids got caught reading it they got whooped by their parents.

Check used book stores, they're hard to find but I lucked into a fuckload of them for ten bucks a pop.

>I want beautiful people in funny costumes doing fun and crazy impossible things
Try My Little Pony.

>americans have been a population of overreacting social hypochondriacs for at least the last 63 years
and not getting any better it seems

But they could surreptitiously read them in the store.

Thaks, But Fantastic Four is better, even though it introduced Black Panther it was never a boring comic.

>Lametastic Four
You really belong in another century.

The world would be much better if people could choose whether to be born at all or not.

Doting, overprotective parents raised an entire generation of spineless and whiny people that start hyperventilating at the mere glimpse of a bloody nose or just by hearing anyone raising their voice.

Literally all of our parents and grandparents became murderers, child molesters or were committed to insane asylums as they lost their grip on reality.

Thank white God we have all these middle-men to protect us now from... well, EVERYTHING!

>I lucked into a fuckload of them for ten bucks a pop.
Lucky bastard.

>insulting modern parents
>in favor of the very parents responsible for banning this shit in the first place

Tip: go to used book stores near colleges. It's a perfect combination of young nerds splurging on nice books, but who also have to pay their outrageous bills and sell all of their stuff.

It's way longer than that. Just look at jazz.

I will, thanks.

How do you save comics?

>distribute through fucking anyone except diamond to bring comics back to commonplace convenience stores?
>bring back anthology magazines so people can follow big events in one thing instead of mucking around with a bunch of floppies for one story?
>start using cheaper paper and go back to more work efficient graphic art styles to bring down the cost of comics?
>start developing new markets for other genres of comics, bring back crime, horror, and romance comics so that there's something for everyone in a place anyone can see them?
>start hosting old floppies online for free for the casual viewer and treat the full volumes as collector items, to compete more equally with webcomics?
>work more closely to small b level videogame companies to develop multiplatform longevity and give people in those markets a taste for comics or the brand, like adult swim is doing?
>develop direct delivery subscriptions so people dont have to order everything through comic shops or wait to order trades online if they dont want?

BRING BACK COLLECTABLE CARDS
BRING BACK BUBBLEGUM INCLUDED
BRING BACK ADS FOR STUPID AWESOME SHIT

MAKE COMICS GREAT AGAIN

japanese comics already do a lot of this

look at how much bigger and ubiquitous comics are for them. we could learn something

More like look at masturbation and the irish

Yeah, and bring back cutout papercraft pages!

People give a shit about Manga, people do not give a shit about American Comics. This is not rocket science people. If the Avengers and the rest of the MCU couldn't get casuals to buy more comics in droves, nothing else is.

It would never work in the states. Even with black and white pulp paper not enough people would buy physical copies to warrant selling monthly or weekly serialization compilation comics containing multiple running series and then their favorite ones in single volumes.

Too big of a cultural difference.

Then of course you've got the whole deal with no sane american wanting to be an independent comic book artist because total lack of safety nets.

even shonen jump isnt selling that great anymore, it peaked in the fucking 90's

Why is Kramer stabbing that woman?

Marvel Unlimited is every gt as good a deal as netflix, with more high quality shit.
All entertainment faces tons of competition.

The fifties and then political correctness killed fun.
Now comicbook creators (in the US) are shamed into making "diverse", pandering characters and stories.
Rather than just telling the stories they want, because lowest common denominator get in a snit by hints of race and sex.

tl;dr - triggered idiots rule.

AND WHY DOES THE LITTLE GIRL LOOK LIKE POLLYANNA IN LOEG?

>Rather than just telling the stories they want

This might surprise you, but those people actually want to write "diverse" pandering characters and stories. No one is forcing them to do that.

This might surprise you, but as someone actually working at one of the big two

you are dead wrong

>>start developing new markets for other genres of comics, bring back crime, horror, and romance comics so that there's something for everyone in a place anyone can see them?
These comics already exists, what they need is exposure.
>>bring back anthology magazines so people can follow big events in one thing instead of mucking around with a bunch of floppies for one story?
This. Kill floppies and remplace them by anthologies and TPs.
This is what we have here in France and guesse what, everyone read comics here.

Yea, I'm sure Spencer is actually a closet Right-Wing Neo-Nazi who is being held hostage into writing all his current shit.

>This. Kill floppies and remplace them by anthologies and TPs.

Anthologies never sell here. There have been multiple attempts but people can not give a shit. They last for less than 6 issues then get canned because they sell less than 10k a month. It works in France because people actually give a shit about comics there.

oh no he's a literal cuck.

but the rest of us small time to no namers have to tow the line super hard.

>as someone actually working at one of the big two
Proof or poof.

Because comics in America are expensive as fuck!
Back when I was reading Marvel comics I was paying less than 5 euros for magazines with the equivalent of 5 floppies.

and the prohibition

Also, Island seem to be doing fine.

I'm honestly surprised it's still going. It seems like it's going to settle at ~3k.

>Comics about black people
>a "modern trend"

Are you 80 or something? That's been a thing since the 70's even in mainstream ass books.

The country was essentially founded on moral panic.

>but as someone actually working at one of the big two
Did you get the job because your dad works for Nintendo?

jesus christ get over it there are black people in the world and some pop into comics. Try reading Static and relax on the nigger shit.

I don't have this guys peoblems with complexion (I admit lesbians bore the fuck out of me, but who cares?) however, Kirby FF is great.

>how to save comics
Get a deal with Schoolastic to get in at their school book fairs. Every comic they have sells like hotcakes.

>Jewish
>White
Pick two.

And I'm sure Kirby would think that

is a Nazi sympathizer.

not all jews are white

Would require a distributor other than Diamond to be willing to distribute comics to the extent Diamond does without a significant increase in costs. Then you have to deal with the demands of retailers and pay for shelf space.

Anthologies rarely sell well and you still have to deal with event lockout but at a higher price.

Due to modern printing and papermaking techniques you're going to see similar prices for paper and printing outside the really high-end and really low-end stuff. Common usage of magazine gloss by all manner of publications means means costs of scale come into play.

Done every few years by DC, smaller publishers rarely genre restrict.

That really doesn't generate revenue and you're unlikely to see much interest in back issues by people who aren't already following comics.

God yes.

A large digital push would be cheaper and easier to find customers.

Japan also has completely different market factors. Selling low-quality phonebooks to people as disposable entertainment works fine when a large chunk of the population can spend upwards of two hours a day on public transportation, but doesn't really fly when you don't have that underpinning. And even then the manga industry faces stiff competition from portable electronic media.

>american comics are cucked
what a surprise, maybe you should give up and import from the superior cultures

After reading Uber, I'd believe Gillion is one.

I'm pretty sure they were selling crime and horror books to kids back then. There wasn't a rating system in place that would've prevented vendors from selling mature comics to kids. Also, William M. Gaines did not claim in his famous testimony that his comics were intended for adults; instead, he argued that children can handle the themes in his books.

>What are we afraid of? Are we afraid of our own children? Do we forget that they are citizens, too, and entitled to select what to read or do? We think our children are so evil, simple minded, that it takes a story of murder to set them to murder, a story of robbery to set them to robbery?

on the other hand, stories about edgy criminals killing everything gets old really fast.

>Bring back crime horror and romance comics
They've been back since like the early 80s.

Most people making "how do we save the comic industry?" threads don't read comics or know how they are sold.

Hell I read too many comics and never bothered to learn much about how they're distributed.

I had heard they're pretty much through Diamond, who can apparently be a hassle to deal with? I can only imagines that's why most places doesn't wanna at least carry a single magazine each for comics in their store.

Kids read still read a good bit of comics, just not the ones nerds read. Diary of a Wimpy Kid and its ilk are some of the best selling comics ever. Manga and certain webcomics are more popular with teens, women, and most of the other groups that big 2 are clamoring for but have proven time and time again unable to attract.

Also add the fact that capeshit is unfriendly to newcomers and that it's only available in a speciality shop. It's like they want to lose customers.

The stories by Dick briefer are hilarious.

The little goil survived, right?

If she did, I wouldn't have started this thread.

Stop trying to make comics an exclusive product and make them a mass consumable one again. Give them some bang for their buck and a substantial amount of content over art wank and high quality print.
Stop trying to interfere with writers on an issue basis and give them more room to actually write their fucking stories while doing actual editorial oversight to avoid mistakes.
Do weekly anthologies of grouped books exploring different stuff. That way teamups and events can be coordinated on a smaller scale and don't always influence books that have a vastly different focus.
Collect the books in affordable volumes and don't go mad over weekly sales.
In any case, ditch floppies. They are a retarded format. High quality print wasted on a flimsy binding you can't shelve and display well, sold from the ivory tower of normie-repelling shops.
Sell your books at the book store and people will see them better. They don't care for the current issue of Wolverine, but a book with an arc or five could be alluring.
You just have to show them where to start reading.
Millions purchased GRRM's big fat books of big fat fantasy and half of yhem don't even read much!
If you have giant movies, how can you not move product?!

Getting rid of the Diamond direct market model is going to be a bitch and a half, as much as I'd love for the direct market to die off in favour of an open market for floppies.

I remember Marvel back in the 90s actually had a poll involved where they asked if people would prefer a return to lower grade paper with lower prices, or keeping the glossy paper with higher prices. The poll was overwhelmingly for glossy paper with higher prices. No idea if the same would apply these days, since back then the "higher prices" were still under $2 an issue.

Non-capeshit comics exist, even within the Big Two. The problem is a lack of exposure; things only tend to get popular when there's a big movie or TV show to draw in the normalfag crowd. See: TWD.

Digital comics and subscription services really should be something that they look more into, but charging the same prices for digital as they do for floppies is fucking stupid.

Both Marvel and DC used to have annual subscription services that you could order and get delivered by mail every month, just like a magazine or newspaper subscription. Probably better to look into digital subscription services, though, as noted above.