Why is only one remembered as a Cult Classic?

They both have their fanbases, but Atlantis seems to be remembered way more favorably.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MgK14cHRJzY
kisscartoon.se/Cartoon/Titan-A-E/Movie?id=3766
youtube.com/watch?v=LX9VxBwvFFo
youtube.com/watch?v=-tVTEyuCKn4
animatedviews.com/2014/buried-treasure-the-ill-fated-voyage-to-treasure-planet-2/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

They are about the same for me, though I still hate Atlantis for killing best girl. So Treasure Planet wins because it's best girl lived.

Because one is literally Treasure Island in space, while th other is at least a little bit unpredictable.
Also Mignola, it's own laguage and dieselpunk adventure. Can't top this.

Atlantis was way more creative. Plus, the visuals. It didn't have the why cgi animation as much as TP did.

Loved Atlantis, saw it in theaters with my dad and sister, we all enjoyed it. TP, while enjoyable didn't top Atlantis in my book, but I could connect with TP' main character because my father also left around that time.

The strongest element of both is their visual design, and Atlantis' is stronger.

Also it's almost impossible to make a better scene then this. In the words of Sup Forums absolute kino.

youtube.com/watch?v=MgK14cHRJzY

Stargate > Treasure Island

Hey.... what about this? All three movies seem more on the adult side of things, not afraid to show blood.

kisscartoon.se/Cartoon/Titan-A-E/Movie?id=3766

Unfortunately most of them do have that one comedic relief character and a bunch of immature stuff hero cliche piled in it.

I fuckin' loved Titan AE
IT'S MY TUUUUUUUUUUUURN TO FLY

I wouldn't call either a cult classic, most people don't even know they exist, which is pretty telling for relatively recent Disney theatrical realeases.
As for the why Atlantis would supposedly have more fans, I have no idea, it was the inferior movie imo.

It hasn't aged well, but it was great for my teenage skatecore-loving self.

Also might aswell add pic related if the discussion is going to be "teenage-oriented animated movies from the early 2000s that flopped".

Dam, forgot how good that was.

>Titan AE
Mah nigga. I need to rewatch that. Its been... 16 years since I last saw it.

"Captain Silver" should be here soon.

Because Atlantis wasn't that boring.

>So bad, it killed the entire production company

Simple.

Delicious brown indigenous waifu.
When the other provided only a furrry waifu.
The size of target audience have done the rest.

I like how Atlantis and Stargate prove you can make nearly the same exact movie with almost the exact same characters and still have vastly different and enjoyable results just by execution alone.

Was my favorite movie when I was a kid. Watched it about a year ago...it did not age well at all. The animation is terrible, characterization is non-existent. The girl is just...there, and the 90's butt rock soundtrack is generic at best. Don't revisit your heroes kids.

Atlantis was better.

I would disagree. Atlantis seems to be more forgotten than Treasure Planet. At least among all the people on Sup Forums and all people I speak to in real life.

Because the quality of the two movies are different?

fuck off

What is that image supposed to convey?

user learns basic elements of design

My god it's a big A!

Anarchy confirmed.

White hair and brown skin is pretty great

I remember having this old atlantis pc game when i was a kid, anyone know what im talking about?

100%, I owned that same game. It ran like shit because our computer at the time was absolute trash but damn if I didn't do my level best to play the shit out of it.

why are guys always designed so simple and basic compared to how girls are designed in these things

just look at the two of them

One of them already had an infinitely superior version in existence

youtube.com/watch?v=LX9VxBwvFFo

given the choice I'd probably rather rewatch Treasure Planet

nearly a hundred years of average guy getting bombshell woman in media has left people feeling like they don't actually have to bother making male heroes hot because they're gonna get the girl anyway, but the girl still has to be not only worth getting but worth showing off

I mean I can see that a little girl would want to be the cool looking atlantis princess but why would a boy want to be the dweeby main guy?

I blame cartoons for making me want to be a girl

I remember getting stuck in the level with the giant snowballs, my computer couldn't run it for shit as well.

>desperately want to make Treasure Island IN SPAAAAAACE
>have to make Hercules first

The rice was too high

Why isn't Atlantis a disney princess?

Two reasons, protagonists are often pretty generic because they're a standin for the audience and Milo is no different.

Underwater Korra is the audience's main way of connecting with the Atlanteans and understanding their culture. So she is front loaded with all the stupid tack. If surface dwellers were the 'exotic' culture then Milo would wear sunscreen and have a tan because that's surface dweller shit.

Kida's movie was a box office flop, so she doesn't get to be an official Disney princess even though she is a princess by birth.

Because the movie flopped and resulted in a stillborn franchise.

Atlantis 2 was three episodes of a canned TV show stitched together with a lame ending slapped on it. The TV show was going to feature a Gargoyles crossover where the gang fights Demona in Paris.

Submarine Voyage at Disneyland was planned to be retooled into an Atlantis theme with the Leviathan and everything and Magic Kingdom was going to get a hybrid coaster called Fire Mountain based on the third act.

But the fucking normies didn't want to see a Disney movie with less singing and more explosions...

>The TV show was going to feature a Gargoyles crossover where the gang fights Demona in Paris.

I don't know if this is the same game but on my PS1 I would play the Atlantis video game all the damn time. It was amazing fun.

If I remember right it was designed as a prequel game about the expedition to recover the Shepherd's Journal.

Gee, I wonder why

You mean both of them?

>anime that isn't digimon

Kill yourself and get off Sup Forums

Don't every reply to my posts ever again

People say Disney ripped off this, while not saying anything about the scene that anime ripped off from Disney's live action adaptation of 20,000 leagues which all three movies are based on. In episode 8 there's a scene with power cords going up a mountain side which wasn't in the original novel, only in the Disney adaptation.

Treasure Planet sucked and the only reason people have any semblance of fond memories is a single character.

- Bought into the X-Games fad
- bad montage with a pop song
- not one, not two, but three annoying joke characters
- much worse CG than other Disney films at the time

and so on

>all 3 movies
Meant to say 2 movies and an anime.

I remember that I WANT THE MOMENT TO BE REAL song well but yeah it was otherwise forgettable. Meanwhile Atlantis is fondly in my
mind still.

WANNA TOUCH THINGS I DON'T FEEL

Anyone remember this classic?

Aw hell yeah! Best Muppet film for sure! >:D

Fucking amazing film.

Meh

I miss Dreamworks' 2D animation. Prince of Egypt was phenomenal, Road to El-Dorado was great, and although it's easily the weakest of the three, I still like Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas.

I like that they let you feel bad for a biblical bad guy. Being on God's bad side usually means a character goes full "irredeemably evil" mode.

I like Treasure Planet more, but I can agree on Atlantis being the better movie.

>dreamworks will never do epics again

Dam, wish I saw this movie in theaters, only saw it on home video.

I've seen both and Atlantis is just better. Better story, better characters, better visuals.

THUS SAYETH THE LORD!!!
youtube.com/watch?v=-tVTEyuCKn4

What the fuck do you think a "cult classic" is? If all the normies knew about it, it would just be a "classic".

>illuminati confirmed

Treasure planet gets mediocre when the robot shows up.
Atlantis gets mediocre when they get to Atlantis.

TRIAL
BY
FIRE

Atlantis had a more appealing cast of characters. Treasure Planet's characters were kinda ugly.

I dated a girl in highschool who's favorite movie was Treasure Planet, but that's pretty much the only person I can think of who really brought the movie up a lot.

That's terrifying, it reminds me of the scene in Ice Age when they're walking through the cavern with dinosaurs and aliens frozen in the ice walls.

>Treasure Planet thread
>nobody's posted it yet

I remember I played an Atlantis PC game where I had to do a mission with the glowing ancestor rocks. That's all I can remember but I know I used to play it all the time.

animatedviews.com/2014/buried-treasure-the-ill-fated-voyage-to-treasure-planet-2/

The moment you can see a whale swimming by just adds to the scale of things.

>Treasure Planet sucked
You are so wrong it hurts.

Did that too recently and found it to still hold up pretty well

Will these movies ever be in Kingdom Hearts?!?!?!?!

So literally anything that has a couple of fans is a cult classic?

>it's easily the weakest of the thre
There are five of them.

It's a good meme but people ran it into the ground literally as it happpened, and it's popped up so much since I'm actually relieved to see a TP thread without him.

I dunno, I think the Japanese were interested in some form of diesel-punk at some point. So maybe Atlantis. However I think we should just be grateful for whatever we get in 3.

We have semi-regular threads that turn into religious discussion.

Having read Treasure Island shortly before watching Planet, I was disappointed that Jim didn't blow the mantis's head off, and he just let him float away.