How was K able to disobey orders and lie to Madam...

How was K able to disobey orders and lie to Madam ? It made sense when we thought he was Deckard's son but since he is one of the new models like Luv, he shouldn't be able to do that.

he didn't lie, he just used beat around the bush phrasing that implied something else, but there was no actual lie

Don't they still have some sort of agency? Isn't that part of the reason why they have the tests?

>since he is one of the new models like Luv, he shouldn't be able to do that.
Luv explicitly tells Joshi that shes gonna lie to Mr Wallace and tell him she killed her in self defence, so they are able to lie

that just creates another problem : that means there was some sort of compulsion forbidding him to tell an outright lie, which he should have realized meant he wasn't Deckard's son after all.

It was never stablished how obedience was implemented in replicants. Like literally at no point that was actually put into play in any way or fashion except for the one time they mention it (maybe also on the title crawl, I don't remember)

And then there's this motherfucking full blown uprising going on behind the scenes, and you just realize they didn't really put that much care into the setting, for a movie that's kind of 100% about the setting

>uprising
aren't those the old models though? Freysa at least is.

As far as I know replicants are basically human who are forced to think they are some soulless robots or some shit like that.

But the hookers are also in it, and tons of others that look pretty young (if that's even a factor, idrk)

I don't think that it's a problem, even if he was Deckards son, he'd still be half replicant that was regulary brainwashed into submission and compliance with baseline tests.
also K always wanted to be special, it was his greatest dream, he didn't approach the question objectively

because deckard is a replicant

Well, he was special.

What's the point of producing work/pleasure slaves that age? I always understood the replicants to probably not be immortals but most likely having very, very long "natural" lifespans. Title crawl in 2049 even mentions the old models' "open-ended lifespans".

>also K always wanted to be special, it was his greatest dream
what makes you say that? He looks pretty angry and devastated when the cute doctor confirms his memories are real.

Come to think of it, why would baseline tests even work on something that is part human?

it just complicates his life and throws everything into question. he wanted it. look at how he looks when he's told he isn't the child.

fucking brainlet

why wouldn't they? they were used to confirm that one does not have independent thought or he isn't questioning his place in the system. even normal human could be conditioned into that state, like the slaves in Roman times were. replicants are not really subtle allegory for slaves and how we use semantics to dehumanize them, you missed one of the main themes of the movie user

It just comes as a huge shock since he was so sure he was, doesn't mean he's sad about it. He even (maybe) gives his life to make sure Deckard meets his daughter.

>why wouldn't they?
I was under the impression that baseline tests were made to correspond with specific factory characteristics of replicants, and therefore would just be meaningless for humans. If they weren't, how could they even tell whether a replicant is off his baseline or not?

he got mad and yelled GOD DAMMIT because he confirmed that he was now the target of his own mission, meaning he had to kill himself, turn himself in or lie to his boss.

He did have a weird obsession with the horse memory even before the events of the movie (recounting it to Joi many times), which is why he recognized the date on the tree as the same as the one on the horse. Joi talks to him at the DNA archive place and tells him that the date on the tree means he his special and was born to a mother, and since Joi tells you what you want to hear it very likely means that K really does want to be special.

>If they weren't, how could they even tell whether a replicant is off his baseline or not?
The baseline could just be an average from several tests after they have been conditioned.

>since Joi tells you what you want to hear it very likely means that K really does want to be special.
ha, that's a good point.

>Joi tells you what you want to hear it very likely means that K really does want to be special
This is an important and underappreciated part

how can Joi know, what K really wants?

I usually don't post but since you're all being such plebs I'll lay it out for you. The replicants can lie because Stelline has been inserting the memory of herself hiding the horse and deceiving the children into thinking she incinerated it so they couldn't have it. It's a memory of a lie, therefor K can lie and does lie in very much the same way (claiming the child and then Deckard is dead so no one will find them.)

By the way, why is K's Joi the same as the standard factory setting Joi we see in commercials? It is shown that there are a lot of customization options. Is he just that unimaginative?

It's a good product

>Is he just that unimaginative?
he's a replicant

I guess thats Samuel L. Hydeson, but where is this from?

She is only the standard factory setting in appearence, the customization can be in regards to behaviour (that probably develops dynamically).

Also this

>It's a memory of a lie, therefor K can lie
and what, NOBODY has caught a new model replicant in a lie since then?

>the customization can be in regards to behaviour
nope. I can't be bothered to download the movie just to grab a screenshot but I saw it again tonight and I'm 100% sure the options that come up are things such as hair, skin color, eyes etc.

baseline test questions are asking about the place in the system, individual thoughts and ambitions etc. and the machinery checks whether a replicants gives those questions any thought or answers automatically. questions are tailored for invoking an existential crysis. answering them without giving them any thoughts or them being uncomfortable for you means you have no independent thoughts so baseline is fine. it's kinda like a polygraph test

Nexus 9's probably just have memory implants like George Washington that make them feel like they cannot tell a lie, and have personality traits that make them feel like lying is a disgustingly wrong thing to do. I'm sure they can overcome it with enough conditioning.

It's from the newest Iron Man movie.

Thats the whole point of the film though. Its that all that additional programming but once he thought he was human he behaved like one and when he found out he wasn't special it didn't change his behaviour because thats how humans are.

So the point is, gender is a social construct.

Anyone notice K did not kill any real humans, he only killed replicants and wounded real human beans. Luv on the otherhand....

Mother fucker nailed it.

the uprising is in the next movie goyim

I really hope not. If they do decide to go down that route I hope they at least call it something else and just say its set in the same universe because anything with Blade Runner in the title should be a thought provoking sci-fi film not a Terminator Salvation future lasergun war film

I don't think you and me will still be alive, when next BR movie comes out.

>not a Terminator Salvation future lasergun war film
nonono, it's obviously going to be more like the hunger games

Perfect mix of cute and hot.

Gender? what the fuck

>gender is a social construct.
Preach it! Fuck drumpf, bash the fash, fuck whiteys!

A harmless meme, replace gender with humanity if you want my actual point. The difference between a replicant and a human is in how they see themselves...that and a replicant could rip you in half

Because he was way off baseline

He didn't lie, and the idea that they could be made to be unable to lie seems a tad ridiculous. He started misleading her as soon as he had a vested interest to do so. None of the new replicants are unable to lie, they are just created with the interest of their created function. K was fine with being a Blade Runner until he thought that it might lead him to serious harm. The mistake was letting him have Joi to give self-value.

>The mistake was letting him have Joi to give self-value.
Did she really gave him that self-value? Joi was programmed to observe, analyze and tell things owner really wants to hear.

Literally no one mentions the key to understanding the entire movie.

What's that exactly...? Poo ""spirituality""?