Why isn't Transformers Armada ever talked about anymore?

Why isn't Transformers Armada ever talked about anymore?
I thought it was as great as the original series and it has some of the best Transformer designs around.

Also Sideways is best transformer.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bxL8hQ0jwyg
mega.nz/#F!Ax4nUCCT!_5vN--HYA1R6ahJUNcx-wQ
youtu.be/joyzV_-5Sno
youtube.com/watch?v=XC16N6xxaZ4
youtube.com/watch?v=whsKhNmMLto
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I dunno, it's just not that memorable. It was the first bit of Transformers media I ever saw and got into and I can barely remember any specific events.

I remember Sideways betraying both sides and Optimus combining with Jetfire if those count

Wasn't this show notoriously bad?

This show was my introduction to the franchise.
I have zero memories of it, and it was probably shit.

I think it was one of the sequel series, Energon or Cybertron.

Energon is up there with Kiss Players and the Beast Within in levels of bad.

Toys weren't bad to though.

People only care about Animated and Prime and their buff waifu now

>Energon
I remember being so disappointed by that series after loving Armada and its animation, it looked even worse than Beast Wars does despite coming out a decade later.

I haven't watched either sequel series since they originally aired on T.V.

The main thing I remember is in one of them Demolisher, Cyclonus, and Tidal Wave were noisy and fucking annoying. Always yelling, yodeling, and chanting his own name as they went into battle.

It was all right. Had some great moments, had some really cheesy moments. It's too bad they ruined Tidal Wave, Demolisher and Cyclonus in Energon.

I remember Energon and Cybertron being really lame and infantile. Besides those things, I only remember the latter two having some cute girls, namely Misha and Iori.

So, what did you guys think of G1? I've just gotten a bit past the movie and it's certainly a "so bad it's good" type of show to me.

Wrong thread buddy.

This is such an inconsistent series. The early eps are laughably bad (but so are most Transformers series) but the Starscream arc later on was some great shit

Sorry. Ended up creating a post instead of a thread. Forgot that I had a thread opened.

Didn't Starscream become "Thundercracker" and then in Cybertron they actually introduced a character called Thundercracker?

Also Soundwave was a DJ...

Its first real transformers I saw as a kid, the other beast wars.

I stopped watching in mid-Energon I had outgrown transformers by cybertron

Starscream has always been a Top Tier character, ever since G1.

It was a much more condensed and budgeted Transformers series with an over-reliance on human shitstains, unmemorable characters and horrible quality control.

I'm literally struggling to remember anything that made it stand out, let alone any part of it that aged well.

I don't remember this one that well. My brother watched both this and Energon, but I didn't really start getting into Transformers until Cybertron.

>unmemorable characters

Like Overload?

The sword

The line where Megatron tries to talk down Starcream when he has the sword

The Aircraft carrier guy

Megatron *combining* with the aircraft carrier guy

Jetconvoy

Jetconvoy and Galvatron assaulting Unicron together.

Sideway's betrayal

>I'm literally struggling to remember anything that made it stand out
The pokemon aspect?

Say something impacting about each primary character.

Energon was a direct sequel to Armada but Cybertron is only really tied to them by Hasbro marketing.

I seem to recall hearing that the first half of the series was pushed through production and onto air before parts of the footage was even finished.

I dunno. I barely remember the show. I do remember Overload practically being a giant Mini-Con though.

I know I played with his toy more than I did Unicron.
It was just more fun.

Man, transforming that Unicron toy was a fucking afternoon task. Fucker had like, fifty steps I swear...

Armada Starscream was a real bro to the end. Didn't the Star Saber choose him at one point?

Whoa, when did this happen? Those are Energon designs, but the animation is regular 2D.

If I recall, everyone got a color palette swap near the end of Armada. I don't remember why though.

Did anyone else ship Starscream and Alexis?

Every once in a while Energon would quickly slip in a scene of 2d animation.

The show is not very good and while many of the toys have very good designs, they aged poorly due to some technical limitations at the time.

Unfortunately there's not much willingness by Hasbro to make toys of things that aren't G1, so Armada gets little love. We've still had an Armada Megaton and Starscream in the last few years though, and a Demolishor was planned from Combiner Wars Onslaught.

Oh yeah and there's a Voyager Total Wave coming from Broadsides.

The highest point was easily the movie. Shit, nothings managed to top that yet. The rest is varying degrees of ridiculous to good ideas with terrible, terrible animation.

The Karbombya episodes are always good for a laugh in this day and age too.

>many of the toys have very good designs

I know this isn't /toy/, but most of the Armada toys were pretty bad, we're talking G1-level bricks.

Personally the funniest to me was when Powerglide had a girlfriend, because he just fucking smacked and threw that bitch around. Shit made me crack up the whole way through.

>there's a Voyager Total Wave coming from Broadsides.
>Total Wave

Guess now we know why Tidal Wave repeats his name over and over

After animated and Prime I remember nothing

Not even when IDW Tidal Wave transformed into a Whale and got stuck mid-transformation? Sad.

The DESIGNS are good. The engineering is where they're lacking.

Word is that after Beast Wars everyone who knew how to design transforming robots had left, so they basically had to relearn everything from scratch. Plus you've got to remember, there had never been vehicle Transformers that had Beast Wars levels of posability (other than the Cyberjets,) so they were breaking a lot of new ground.

Cucked again by Auto-correct

i feel like i had this game but i don't remember the gameplay at all

It was a FUNCTIONAL game, not that great a game.

>Whale

Wait what?

I couldn't be the only one who thought Bumblebee in the Bayformers was just Hotshot but mute. :V

"Sins of the Wreckers"

im pretty sure they are suppose to be the same character
except they used Bumblebee's design as a minicon so they just made a new character with the same colors and characteristics instead

Nah, production was rushed. It was an interesting show. Starscream was best character.

Starscream is always the best character

>Starscream is always the best character
>Always
I want this meme to stop. That's only objectively true for G1 and maybe the Unicron trilogy.

I wish people would storytime TF stuff as much as other stuff. Totally missed Sins. Too bad Preacher user doesn't seem to read TF stuff, otherwise we'd probably be loaded with storytimes.

The Girl Who Loved Powerglide and Triple Takeover are my favorite G1 episodes

Overload wasn't a character, he was a weapon

All I remember was that I cried for Starscream
youtube.com/watch?v=bxL8hQ0jwyg

also that the sequels fucked everything up

Hot Shot was conceptualized as "Bumblebee" and even had the name on production material, but Hasbro couldn't get at trademark on the name Bumblebee at the time so they renamed him Hot Shot.

Animated Bumblebee was originally going to be Hot Shot, but the movie raised awareness of the name Bumblebee so back to that.

>tfw still have 10 or 15 figures from this series around the house (not including dozens of minicons)

>tfw always kept this dude in ship mode and kept pretending he was the Egg Carrier from Sonic Adventure
Sometimes I miss that shit

>Why isn't Transformers Armada ever talked about anymore?
It's anime technically, not a Western cartoon, you'll find it talked about occasionally in TF threads but many people on this board are on this particular one because they don't watch anime, and I'm sure it doesn't get talked about on Sup Forums either though I don't go there

>The show is not very good and while many of the toys have very good designs, they aged poorly due to some technical limitations at the time.
Me and you can agree to disagree, I thought it took the designs backwards to a more G1 type thing (playskool colors, usually brickish, poorly articulated, never a ball joint in sight and often useless gimmicks)

G1 is good IMO, some of the plots are overly silly and the animation is cheap but both of those things were just par for the course of 80s cartoon shows, I know it's not everybody's cup of tea especially if they are younger and didn't get the chance to see it as a kid

And about Armada in general just to say something else, I know it there are SOME decent things that could be said about it but in general I wasn't a fan and it was pretty much the reason I stopped caring about Transformers in my teen years, I thought it was very stock "kiddy anime" type stuff, the whole thing to me was just reminiscent in tone of things like Pokemon, Beyblade, Yu Gi Oh, and other merch based animes which I was into to some extent but felt Transformers deserved better than that, and while the same could be said (possibly even more so) about the previous series, at least with that one I still liked the toyline since it allowed me to get a lot of repaints and old molds that had been absent from stores once again as well as what I thought were some pretty cool original figures

It was the first transformers show I watched and the most I can remember is that I liked hot shot and starscream

I watched Beast Wars back when I was in kindergarten, so watching this in middle school was weird. I remember watching it mostly out of some nostalgia for BW (10-year-old being nostalgic for stuff I watched when I was 5, I know).

Wasn't this just a mediocre anime set in the Transformers universe?

Yeah. Transformers and anime have always been a bad mix. Headmasters is boring and only made watchable thanks to a wacky and nonsensical dub from Singapore. Beast Wars II is only remembered for the Mexican stereotype Maximals in sombreros. And the less said about Energon, the better.

There is no one Transformers universe. By the time Armada came out, there had been 5 major TF universes already. Armada was another Transformers anime, not a "anime set in the TF universe" . That makes it sound like a side-story.

Issues get storytimed when they come out, it's your prerogative to seek it out afterwards if you want to read it. Despite appearances to the contrary, Sup Forums is not a comic library.
mega.nz/#F!Ax4nUCCT!_5vN--HYA1R6ahJUNcx-wQ

Not the guy who asked but this is awesome, thank you! Anyone got that pic with the IDW reading order?

Bookmark the guide update link so you won't have to ask again.

>Starscream's shot doesn't even reach Unicron before he's disintegrated
Why did you have to remind me user...
youtu.be/joyzV_-5Sno

Here you go.

>January 18, 2017
Come on now.

I always thought it was anime.

Huh, I must of forgotten to update it last week. I guess I'll replace it with the one from .

Dont Worried maybe one day.

Was this the one with an anime guy with a bike as MC? And some stationary abomination that could change between multiple faces?

What is the best Japanese intro song and why is it BWII's second OP behind Animated's
youtube.com/watch?v=XC16N6xxaZ4
No that was the sequel, Energon/Superlink

No, Starscream remarked he LOOKED like Thundercracker after his paint job was changed from red to blue (Thundercracker himself was never seen in Armada, but apparently he was a blue Seeker).

But yes, Cybertron had a Thundercracker, but he had a completely different body mod than Starscream had in either that series or Armada.

I'm not any of the guys before, but thanks! I've starting reading MTMTE, good to know how the other lines fall in the timeline.

I'm so glad Gimlet is in the comics

Is this from a new comic or wreck gar one?

The Wreck-Gar ones are the new ones, and yes. This is from Optimus Prime #1

The final episodes of Armada were hype. Loved the shit out of them when I saw them on TV. Energon was pure garbage, never saw Cybertron because I still had PTSD from Energon.

Beast Machines was an awful sequel, but it was a good series on its own. Energon was an awful sequel, but it was an awful everything else too.

>never saw Cybertron because I still had PTSD from Energon.
Cybertron was great if you like hotblooded robot anime, and was full of fun lore.
youtube.com/watch?v=whsKhNmMLto
>Beast Machines was an awful sequel, but it was a good series on its own.
Ugh, no. A lot of the episodes blended together because they were all about running away.
>Energon was an awful sequel, but it was an awful everything else too.
Amazingly, it's been beat out by Combiner Wars as the worst TF cartoon in some people's eyes, including mine.

>Cybertron was great

Demonstrably untrue.

Unless you enjoy robots that can only emote at the level of ventriloquist dummies and STOCK FOOTAGE STOCK FOOTAGE STOCK FOOTAGE.

That last part was so fucking bad, the dub had the characters engage in lengthy conversations just to keep the audience engaged in the 2-3 minutes of stock footage per episode.

Cybertron is as unwatchable as Energon ever was, just for different reasons.

Admittedly Beast Machines would be a lot better if they cut out all the running away. They wanted it to be an 'epic novel', which meant that some chapters didn't fill 20 minutes, so we ended up with running away bullshit to fill the time.

>not liking repeated stock footage in hotblooded robot shows

There was NOT fucking hotblooded about any of the Transformers animes unless you have a neural disorder that makes your brain pump adrenaline everytime badly written rambling starts being spoken by the stiff puppets the show called characters.

It's not that good.

Energon is slightly worse.

Cybertron is...excuse me for a moment. I need to unleash some steam.

A Transformers cartoon made in 2006 had tremendously worse CG robots than a Transformers show made in 1997.

Fuckin wut.

>Plus you've got to remember, there had never been vehicle Transformers that had Beast Wars levels of posability (other than the Cyberjets,) so they were breaking a lot of new ground.

Just the year before we where getting Car Robots/Robots in Disguise. And before that, we had articulated vehicleformers in beast Machines. Getting Armada Optimus after this was released(and cheaper) was fucking bullshit.

CG animation has never been a strong suit of the Japanese animation industry.

Even the CG models otakus praise, like the loli spider robots in Ghost in the Shell, still actually look like shit when held to a Western standard.

That sort of gratuitous use of stock footage montages and shit is usually associated with anime, up until RID TF has always been a primarily Western franchise in terms of it's fiction so I don't find it too surprising many fans reject the style of the anime era shows

I thought the Japanese were supposed to be good with their media? How is it that Beast Wars managed to be an amazing show with mediocre animation (which was the forefront of cg in its time), yet Cybertron comes along nearly a decade later with even worse animation and a worse plot?

That said the Japanese completely ruined Beast Wars with their dub there, so I shouldn't be that surprised.

RID wasn't the pinnacle of storytelling either, but it was literally distance from one edge of the universe to the other ahead of the likes of Energon.

The RID toyline (or at least the toys that were original designs) were basically using all the advancements to toys made in Beast Wars/Machines with vehicle alt modes, so I have no idea what that user is talking about unless they simply forgot it existed

>Ugh, no. A lot of the episodes blended together because they were all about running away.

I don't remember much running away past the first few episodes of the series. I still think its a much more solid series than people give it credit for; unfortunately most TF fans have a very narrow minded view of what a TF series should be, so we'll just have regurgitations of G1 remixed over and over again.

Unfortunately some of the toys took more cues from Beast Wars Neo than they did from Beast Wars, particularly Sideburn, where I think literally a single part of the car (if that) actually has a use in his robot mode.

Because sometimes in Western animation, even merch/toyetic shows sometimes get treated with some level of passion and care to make quality fiction....in Japan things "for kids" are usually the most inane shallow bullshit ever where often the plot literally comes down to "BUY MORE TOYS", something ironically criticized about any Western show with toys even if it's not the case at all