Hellboy/Mike Mignola

Is Hellboy ever coming back? Are his adventures ended forever? I'd be disappointed if Mignolaverse continued without Hellboy himself, since he got the whole thing started. Prequel stuff just doesn't hit the same spot, even if Hellboy deserved his restful end

As far as I know, he's supposed to do some things, some of which will be done by Edward Grey (and he'll be damned forever and suffer like no man has suffered for that), but aside from that, his 'adventure' is finished.

Mignolaverse is coming to an end with this story arc anyhow. All good things come to an end.

I just assumed that it was so big it wouldn't end before all the Ogdru Jahads were dealt with or destroyed life on Earth, and that it would involve Hellboy punching the shit out of the The Seven Who Are One

From all the prophecies we've seen, he's likely to make one last grand and terrible appearance at the finale of everything.

The third BPRD cycle will start later this year. Going by past trends, 50-70 isssues.

And then it's over. All of it.

Sure there's some more Lobster Johnson, Witchfinder, Hellboy and the BPRD on the way. And I'm sure a few more surprises, such as the Visitor. But we're over 2/3rds through.

I'm still not really sure how this ties into Hellboy in Hell. A promise of his return?

I don't think it's got much to do with Hellboy. Seems more like it's Johan considering he Killed one of the Ogdru Jahad by obliterating his soul from existence

As far as I know, it's actually supposed to be a promise of his story's end.

I'm still sad this guy died

Dude, read through Hellboy in Hell 10 one more time. Those shapes were waiting for HB in his cabin.

Yeah, but what a way to go. In all the fiction I've read, one of the most badass "I'm taking this shit with me" sacrifices I've ever seen.

Man, Return of the Master was great.

Fuck I miss Tyler Crook, never felt like Laurence Campbell's art fit BPRD.

Check out Harrow County. Holy shit is it good.

>And then it's over. All of it.
Dang, that'll feel strange. I've never been part of a comic that's actually been so epic in scale and yet had a definite end.

Out of all the BPRD artists I think I like Campbell the most, admittedly, although sometimes it feels he runs away from the details.

>tfw no Ben Stenbeck drawing BPRD
>tfw no Duncan Fegredo drawing BPRD

at least we got covers from Fegredo but still

Indeed. The Mignolaverse is just the right mix of traditional super hero sprawling mess, and defined booms with clear structure. There's absolutely nothing like it.

Closest I can think is the Invincible universe.

It's amazing what you can do with a single, clear vision and no(ne that I know of) retcons

I do wonder if we'll continue to get minis throughout the timeline or not. Stuff just for fun? Stuff to clear up loose details? Who knows?

To be fair the structure is a lot looser than they let on. Why else do we so often meet new villains in Lobster Johnson, Witchfinder, or a book like that right before they show up in a "current" book? Or how using the Sledgehammer suit in the finale of Hell on Earth was a very, veru late idea. They do have a rough plan, I do believe that. But they're also playing fast and loose whenever the mood strikes and inspiration hits.

The pannel with the wizard flying a kite with the snake is so heartwarming.

Slightly off topic, but if I get the B.P.R.D Plauge of Frogs books will I miss out on anything from the original B.P.R.D trades?

From what I know you get the entire arc in a slightly improved reading order with a larger sktech section.

So... you actually do pretty good. I'm a bit cheesed that me as a long time trade buyer is actually missing out.

Be sure to pick up the BPRD 1940's omnibus too.

Ah alright. Thank you so much.

I don't know how Hellboy will end up beating them. They seem too powerful.

HB took the throne right? Doesn't that make him an equal of TSWAO?

What happened to that del Toro tweet about looking into starting another Hellboy film?

I didn't mean to say his art was bad, I quite like it in a vacuum. Sledgehammer: Lightning War is one of my favorites. And I quite liked his covers as well.

I just never felt it quite meshed with the other art..or something like that. It was almost like they sort of shifted the tone, somehow. I honestly don't know specifically what it is about his art that turned me off.

Even the big End of Days fight between Johann "Sledgehammer" Kraus, Liz and The Black Flame didn't even live up to the big fight in Lightning War, which seemed like it was sort of a follow up for.

Even back when he did his first guest spot on the main BPRD line with Wasteland, that followed up Harren's Abyss of Time, Snejbjerg's Cold Day in Hell and preceding Crook's Lake of Fire (which i personally think is under-rated), all I remember about Wasteland was thinking "I'm glad this was only a 3 issue guest spot."

Was anyone else disappointed with the whole end of Hell on Earth?
I mean, it felt like watching Dragon Ball Z. Big attack power up, yare yare, and then the enemy easily dismisses it. Another big huge woopdie-doo attack. Dismiss. AH BUT NOW I HAVE THE POWAH! and win.
Even the deaths felt empty. Roger's death had meaning, Daimo's death had meaning. Iosif? Died like a bitch. Did not even fight.