Thor: Ragnarok is pretty good. It's easily better than anything Marvel since 2014

Thor: Ragnarok is pretty good. It's easily better than anything Marvel since 2014.

>The Story
It's passable. Thing is, the plot isn't that important to this movie, it's more about the action, but all the plot stuff is pretty obvious and you'll know what's going to happen before it happens.

>The Action
There are a lot of great action sequences in this movie. They definitely upped the quality in this regard, it's leagues better than the abysmal Civil War and its shitty airport fight. I would say the action is one of the movie's top selling points.

>The Humor
As has been said, there's a lot of jokes in this one. Unlike other Marvel movies, the comedy is not based on pop culture references. In fact, I don't remember a single pop culture reference being made, which is good because most of the characters are aliens from another world. Instead, the humor comes from Thor not acting or not being taken seriously despite being a God of Thunder. For me, it wasn't that funny, but none of the jokes made me cringe (unlike Doctor Strange's Adele "joke"). There were a few jokes that I liked, though.

>The Soundtrack
I was taken aback at how good the soundtrack was. For example, when Thor first arrives on the strange alien world, the soundtrack really helps sets the tone.

>Other Stuff
I really liked the cinematography for the Valkyrie flashback. The movie has a lot of really interesting designs for its background aliens, giving you a very nice Star Wars vibe. They do a bunch of Easter Eggs like the Infinity Gauntlet and Beta Ray Bill and Throg so hey I guess all those clickbait sites will have another "Top 10 Things You Missed About This Comic Book Movie" article to write. The bad guy is alright and her backstory will probably have people trying to relate it to real world politics and history (so, again, another article for clickbaiters).

>Final Verdict
Overall, if you go in looking for some dumb fun to entertain you for 2 hours ten minutes, you won't walk away disappointed. It's still Marvel capeshit, so if you don't absolutely hate Marvel capeshit, avoid this one (or hatewatch it, I don't give a fuck, but you've been warned). People will probably proclaim this as "the best Marvel movie so far" because they always fucking do after every Marvel movie, but this time, while they won't be totally wrong. Ragnarok ranks up there in, like, the top five Marvel movies.

Not a shitposter, but I will have to disagree. I think this is the best Thor movie out there, but it's not my favourite thing since 2014. I'd rather watch Ant-Man, Civil War or, dare I say it, Homecoming.

My biggest problem with this movie is it's complete lack of emotional depth that's almost blatantly shoved aside for jokes that weren't even that funny. Multiple things happen to Thor as a character and they all just slide off of his back, which put my in a position of not caring since, if he doesn't care about them, why should I? 0 emotion and stakes basically had me there waiting for either action or comedy.

>Story
Yes, passable. Ragnarok was a subplot to a 'not as good as the comics' Planet Hulk which is nothing like its counterpart. This movie could have easily been bumped up a notch if they did:
-Hulk as a talking adult
-Pregnant wife
-Fighting to keep them safe
-Can't leave them behind to fight Hela
-Hela kills them
-Hulk leaves and we see Worldbreaker Hulk & Thor v Hela.
Would this be too much of a Hulk movie? I don't think so.

>Action
So the action scenes are underwhelming to me. Agreed, the Civil War airport scene was good for nothing more than spectacle, but nothing in this was fluid or dynamic. It was just 'strong guy fighting'. Run up, get punched back. Gain upper hand. Would have like better choreography, espeically for Hulk v Thor which I think is a huge downer from Hulk vs Ironbuster.

>Humour
Yeah, better than Doctor Boring. Just got in the way of there being any actual emotional depth.

>Other stuff
1) Odin's death in front of his two sons. It's literally forgotten and everyone gets back to quipping in minutes. Maybe even a single minute.
2) Bruce possibly never turning back again. Sounds horrifying right? Losing your mind and body forever to a beast? Well, it's mocked.
3) Hela's relationships with her brothers/Odin. Her motivations are clear, but she's just weak in general.
4) Loki & Thor reuniting after Thor thought he was dead. 0 emotion.
5) The death's of the Warriors 5. Thor literally never speaks about them. Sif isn't even in the movie. They die faster than you can remember them.
6) The destruction of Asgard is quickly followed by a joke when their home is literally blown to pieces and everything they know and love gone.
7) The entire Planet Hulk storyline. Lack luster. It's nothing like the comics.
8) Death of Skurge. Didn't really care about him during the movie. He was somewhat sympathetic, but he really doesn't mater at all.

I get it. "It's supposed to be a comedy 1!!1!!" "What are you a DC faggot who doesn't like fun!11!!!!" (Not saying this is you OP, just what I've seen). It's just this movie does nothing to balance out emotion with comedy and that balance is what makes a good overall movie. It's just straight jokes throughout, really. Most of which are snickers/light chuckles at best.

>Final verdict
Wait for it to come out online. It's a step up from the previous Thor movies, but it's not worth £10 or $ or whatever, in my opinion.

My bad, that list is of stuff that could have been emotional and had the audience tearing up, but are just poorly done, in my opinion.

Yeah it's like they're afraid to make a scene without quipping and they had plenty of material to make something emotionally impactful.

> It's literally forgotten and everyone gets back to quipping in minutes
thor blames loki for his death everytime he sees him for half the show
>she's just weak in general
agree, but she isnt pure evil, nor dead lol, she gets more movies derp
>this movie does nothing to balance out emotion with comedy
maybe not enough, but there are some emotional or character building scenes like how loki doesnt get the trick on thor this time

Just seen the cam rip too bro it was epic

>the plot isn't that important to this movie
It honestly isn't in any superhero movie, but it's especially true in these ensemble movies.

I honestly though the plot had plenty of surprises.

How Hela got to Agard was a bit of a tense moment.
And how Hela was defeated.

A lot of the story was also told by showing things instead of daying things. Such as the plot of Helas helper.

fun funfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfun

*thought
*saying

Sorry, phone posting.

>thor blames loki for his death everytime he sees him for half the show
See, Thor calmly reminds him that, yes, this is your fault. The 2 times I remember are when Thor is calmy throwing the rocks at him and maybe in the elevator? Loki has tried to kill Thor, Jane, Odin (kinda in Thor I guess), Earth, back stabbed him multiple times and this time actually killed Odin. Thor should literally be livid. He watched his father die and turn into nothingness right infront of him because Loki wanted to eat grapes. I'm just reminded of the AoU scene where Thor picks up Stark by his neck after Ultron escapes. THAT'S how I expect him to act.

>maybe not enough, but there are some emotional or character building scenes like how loki doesnt get the trick on thor this time
Stuff like that is fine, but Thor not trusting Loki and having "no hope left" for him was established in Thor the Dark World. To me at least, this wasn't anything new and is just same old some old. This could have been a great 'movie' instead of a good 'comedy', but to each their own, brother. Glad you had fun.

Where were the Beta ray bill and Throg references?

I think Beta Ray Bill had a head monument of him of The Grandmaster's planet and Thor tells a short story about how Loki once turned him into a frog. Both are pretty small.

>Loved Man of Steel, watched it more than any other capeshit
>Liked Ragnarok and Dr Strange, think they are among the best Marvel films

I seem to end up loving what everyone else hates. Do I have shit taste or am I secretly patrician?

Oh i get ya. Didn't notice the Bill monument and didn't make the connection to Throg.

I enjoyed those movies as well.

I guess a lot of people go into movies expecting something else, get annoyed and then stay annoyed throughout the movie.

Dr Strange is absolute garbage, no idea how you could like it.

But i also like Man of Steel and Ragnarok.

I mean, I loved Man of Steel too and I also at least thought this movie was passable. Didn't like Doctor Strange, though.

>THAT'S how I expect him to act.
stark isnt his brother, loki is

I'm just glad Natalie Portman and the other earth people aren't in this. They were horrible.

>1) Odin's death in front of his two sons. It's literally forgotten and everyone gets back to quipping in minutes. Maybe even a single minute.
>It's just this movie does nothing to balance out emotion with comedy and that balance is what makes a good overall movie

Yeah, agree with you on this one. They could've invested more into the emotional scenes and made it a better movie, but I guess it wasn't really going for that approach.

There was definitely a lot of wasted potential here, but for me it didn't make the movie any less enjoyable. I'm really just glad they finally broke the streak of laughably bad Thor movies.

Honestly one of the worse movies I have ever seen. Fuck you, fuck this film and fuck anybody who likes it.

Was it fun?

What did you both dislike about Strange?

>Hahahaha just turn your brains off bro xdd

>pretty good
>the plot isn't that important
Spoken like a true MCUck.

You knew exactly what was coming from the trailer. Why go to movies you dont like?

The only criticism I can think of is that they should have dropped the humour during a few key moments, like when Asgard was being destroyed before their eyes. They should have taken time to think about the magnitude of what had just happened, how they just lost their king, huge amounts of soldiers died, their home destroyed right infront of them. They were now orphans floating through space. Their entire civilization on one tiny ship. Instead they kind of glanced over it and made some more jokes

Yes

I thought the on-screen villain was underdeveloped for the most part and didn't really care enough about Strange to get invested into him as a character.

It did have nice visuals at times but so did inception and i didn't care for that either.

>Humor
Your Hammer gets you off?

Loved this joke so much

Not either one of them, but Strange was pretty boring. It was good during the first watch, but it has horrible rewatch value for me. The quips didn't really belong in a 'Doctor Strange' movie & felt really forced. The only thing it had going for it was the visuals, which of course, it knocks out of the park in that area.

Doesn't mean Thor should act any differently, especially when Thor has said in 2 movies now (along with all the bad things I've said Loki has done) that he has no hope for him. He should still feel lose and anger for someone who killed his father. I'd be pissed at my brother (and I'm sure you would be) if you found out he got your elderly father in a car and left him in the middle of the woods to slowly die.

Haha, yeah, much better than the first two, I will say that.

The CGI spectacle was the best part about the movie. The characters was fine at best. The hand to hand fighting was crap. He wasn't even really a magician, he had like 4 spells which were all quite boring. The villain was crap. The humour was laughable, in a bad way. The side characters did nothing and you weren't made to care about them in any way. Night nurse was fine because she's hot and Mordo because they're building him up for the sequel.

Doctor Strange was better in Ragnarok than he was in his own movie, honestly.

I liked Doctor Strange, but the biggest thing I hated from it was the shitty humor. Not just the Wong/Adele joke (which they do a callback on) but also the name joke and pretty much every other attempt at humor. I think the only joke that really worked for me was when the door opens and Strange falls into the doorway and you hear him say thank you weakly off-screen. The rest not only made me not laugh, but made me unhappy. I felt the opposite of laughter.

>Doesn't mean Thor should act any differently
>against his brother
didnt he tell a story in the movie that was basically "loki has been trying to kill me since we were 8"??

That snake story was funny.

Yeah, that was one of the few times I chuckled in this movie.

But yeah, Loki has been doing (at least) mean things to Thor for a while. Even if you say this was just a joke and blah blah theres still the fact that he left his bloody Dad in the middle of nowhere to die slowly and nowhere near anyone he cared about, confused and alone, while he sat on Asgard not doing anything eating grapes. I'd be livid.

>It did have nice visuals at times
>The only thing it had going for it was the visuals, which of course, it knocks out of the park
>The CGI spectacle was the best part about the movie
The visuals were literally just the effect in pic related

You're ignoring the fact that Loki is the only family Thor has left now and his story about Loki constantly backstabbing tried to get across the point that despite all he's done he still loves him.

So? I like kaleidoscopes. They're cool as fuck.

>x character should have done y not z cos thats what I would do
youre projecting too hard

Is IMAX 3D big in America? I think it's possible that makes a difference and influences your opinion on it. Some of the 3D scenes were amazing

Well, sorry for being impressed I guess?

Nah, the CG was really good and the only thing that made the movie...still not watchable. Glancable.

Projecting? I'm stating that they literally put aside emotion for jokes. You're trying too hard to save something which is clearly done poorly. Loki got Odin killed. Thor was hardly saddened and the next time they met it was played for comedy on Grandmasters planet. That's just bad writing.

Well you asked why he didn't throttle Loki like he did Stark and i was saying he was still his only remaining family member.

I actually agree the movie did have trouble balancing the sadder moments with the comedy which is pretty sad because the director did a pretty good job doing that with Boy.

>It's easily better than anything Marvel since 2014
You say this every time a new Marvel movie comes out.

I enjoyed it and I saw it in 2D, but it seemed like a lot of the scenes would be better in 3D.

i dont need to save the movie, its what it is, an mcu popcorn flick
it seems only you expected it to not be

Sorry, was more for user who said I was 'projecting'.

Fun fun fun fun fuFun fun fun fun fun fun funFun fun funFun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun Fun fun fun fun fuFun fun fun fun fun fun funFun fun funFun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fuFun fun fun fun fun Fun fun fun fun fuFun fun fun fun fun fun funFun fun funFun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fuFun fun fun fun fun fun funn fun funn fun funfun funn fun funn fun funfuFun fun fun fun fun fun funn fun funn fun fun

Excuse me for wanting some emotional depth in my movies and not being able to avoid bad writing.
Don't know where you got 'saving the movie' from, is every critic trying to save a movie? Turn off my brain to enjoy it with some popcorn? No, that's silly. I expected competence and I was slightly underwhelmed.

Me personally? No, I don't. I was highly critical of Homecoming, for instance, and got called a "DCcuck" a bunch for it.

Other anons? No, they don't. They say the newest movie is "the best one ever." This isn't the best one ever, never said it was, but it's in maybe the top five. If you were to tier the Marvel movies, it'd be in the upper tiers.

Not my fault that there's been a long string of bad/underwhelming/mediocre Marvel movies starting with Age of Ultron and that Thor 3 outclasses them all (with the closest contender in the time frame being maybe Ant-Man).

I enjoyed it. Loved Thor's visions of Odin when getting his head beat in.

WHAT ARE YOU, THE GOD OF HAMMERS?

I liked that line.

First half was rushed. Action was decent. 6/10

Everything Ragnarok did, GOTG2 did better

maybe you shouldnt go to the movies next time

>walk into a steakhouse
>"what, no vegetarian menu? this is bullshit! you're a terrible steakhouse!"
Why don't you try turning on your brain?

action was better in Thor

Imagine being such an utter pleb that you compare wanting emotional depth in a movie to wanting vegetables in a steakhouse

Wanting "emotional depth" from a fucking superhero movie is retarded. It's as retarded as a vegetarian going to a steakhouse. Quit being a fucking retard, you fucking retard.

>capeshit
>good
It's good for pirating, maybe.

But I want a scene where Punch Man explores his feeeeeeeeeeeelings.

>The action
No. The action scenes, specifically the ones with more than 2 people fighting were unimaginative and had zero emotion to them. Every single one of those fight scenes was: "a couple of people quip as they easily dispatch endless hordes of weightless minions that pose virtually zero threat." The space-ship dogfight scene was even worse.

I enjoyed the movie, but the action scenes were far from good.

Gotta strongly disagree with this one, man.

there is a difference between focusing of depth and being a mediocre piece of shit. look at man of steel or batman v superman to see how a super hero movie is supposed to be. A level of quality in stories and character motivation is to be expected, or we go into straight b movie territory

What the fuck is up with the color scheme on all of the cover art for this movie?
When I first saw the poster for this, I thought it was fake. Bright green and bright red/orange. Yeah nice, looks like a FIFA poster.

If only we could have a scene where the characters all stop everything, sit down, and clearly announce exactly how they're feeling. Hey, you know what would make this movie better? A nice therapy session. Oh, maybe the whole movie could be family counseling! Wouldn't that be exciting, to see big muscly Thor in touch with his feelings?

justice league cannot beat this

>b movies are bad
Hey, how much cock do you suck? We're talking at least one entire baseball team, right?

It really wasn't

As much as I like BvS, no, it's not "how a superhero movie is supposed to be." It's fine for superhero movies to just be action-packed punch-a-thons. It's fine for them to be entertaining spectacles. It's also fine for them to be a little smarter. Neither of these are wrong. In fact, it's nice to get a little variety. Personally, I'm fine with DC movies and Marvel movies being different, and am a bit disappointed that, with the departure of Snyder, DC seems to be headed towards Marvel-style. Ultimately, though, it doesn't matter. There are other movies out there. It's not all capeshit, believe it or not.

can we have more kazoo?

>god of thunder
>you never actually hear real thunder
>you just see a lot of lightning

Lord of Thunder.

GotG2 wasn't good

Are marvel fans the Nintendo fans of movies?

Eh, it was alright. Ragnarok completely outclasses it in almost every way.

You can have a scene or two where you are given a reason to give a shit about any of the characters without necessarily having a full-blown feelings-fest.

I disagree

Like a scene where Thor and Loki talk with their dad before he dies? Or a scene where Bruce deals with how he has no control over the Hulk and tries to grasp that he can't remember the last six months or whatever it was? Or a scene where we see the tragedy that made Valkyrie leave Asgard? Or a scene where Thor and Loki share a brotherly moment in an elevator?

Oh, yeah, right, I forgot, there's no pleasing some people. Why did you even bother to watch this one? It's clear you don't like these Marvel movies. Why do you waste your time watching them and then talking about them online? Do you seriously have nothing going on in your life or what?

Is it funny and above all fun?

>[new marvel movie] is actually good. It's the best thing to come out of marvel since [a few years ago]

Why do I seem to read this every time a new mcu flick is released?

>Is it funny
Yeah.

>and above all fun?
Yeah.

I liked the first GotG in the same way I liked StarCrash or Battle Beyond the Stars
The second one was just too stupid despite having a better villain in it

Screenshots of other threads that used this line?

>The second one was just too stupid despite having a better villain in it
This.

Thor Ragnarok is a comedy. Or at least Marvel's attempt at a comedy, in the same way Ant-Man is their attempt at a heist movie. To try and nit pick it in any other way is pointless.

With that in mind, it's ....ok. A lot of the humour is very forced, but a good deal of it lands. Korg is the best exemplar of the film for me, in that he has a few genuinely amusing moments
>PISS OFF GHOST
But ultimately has so many that he outstays his welcome a little bit.

It was 2 years that Bruce had been the Hulk. His last memory was of fighting Ultron. Had this been a Hulk movie, they would have probably dealt with the horror of both that, and the fear of never becoming Banner again if he Hulks out, but nah, this is a comedy it gets brushed aside for more jokes.

>movie doesn't focus on not-the-main character
>brushed aside
They give the whole thing considerable screen time, and then his decision to Hulk out is played up as a big deal, even if that is ultimately done as the setup for a joke (it is partly a comedy, after all). I'd hardly say it's "brushed aside."

But, no, seriously, why are you watching these movies still? I watch them because I usually like them to some degree but if you just straight up hate them (and you do) then I'd think (or hope) you'd have a better use of your time.

This is the seventeenth Marvel Cinematic Universe movie. If you don't care about Thor after his first two films and the two Avengers films he's been in, why would you even go to Thor Number 3?

Why did they think a comedy was the right movie to kill odin and destroy asgard?

I liked the film, user. It was mentioned in one scene, and never really touched on again.

What I meant was that the concept of him losing 2 years of his life to the monster within him, and him having to deal with the knowledge that at any point he could cease to exist, leaving a large green monster to walk off in his purple trousers could be the emotional core of a decent Hulk movie, but here it gets mentioned and then left.

It didn't have any pay off beyond his sacrifice, which while noble, didn't play off into his Hulk persona in any way. We didn't get a scene of Hulk and Thor talking about "puny Banner" after Thor realises the horror of his comrades situation.

lmao
>Implying MCU can be good
>Implying capeship can be good

I'll watch a fun movie
And I'll watch a funny movie
But NO FUCKING WAY i watch a movie that's both funny and fun

Ang Lee's Hulk tried to delve into the deeper elements of that side of the Hulk, it was still shit.

It wasn't a Hulk movie and i think one user said there was something to do with the Hulks rights with universal that prevented them from making a solo Hulk movie.

Because it's it's titled RAGNAROK and MCU sorely needs a layer of mythology that has actual stakes and consequences. Fat chance, I know.

>It was mentioned in one scene, and never really touched on again.
They talk about it in at least two different scenes: on the ship and then a little later outside in the city while hiding. Then it clearly comes to fruit when Bruce sees innocent people are going to die and steps up, even though it ultimately serves as a moment of comedy (which works well because it's a great subversion of expectations). And, again, it's not a Hulk movie.