Image Week Storytime: Youngblood

25 years ago a bunch of Marvel artists left the Big Two and decided to form their company, with blackjack and hookers. This company would eventually become the closest to a third competitor for DC and Marvel (lol) and the best known creator-owned comic book company out there.

This week and maybe the next one I'll be posting some of Image's first series and maybe some of their recent hits as well.

So strap in, 'cause you're in for a trip down memory lane.

Next up is one of Image's most infamous series, Rob Liefeld's Youngblood.

Spawn:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LJhoa2SVGNA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

youtube.com/watch?v=LJhoa2SVGNA

Were Sam Kieth and Kieth Giffen the only early series creators on Image that weren't hacks? I know there were talented colorists, inkers, sometimes writers and pencillers, but the people pitching series seem to have almost all been hacks like Todd and Erik.

Next week we'll take a look at some second wave Image, which was a lot stronger with stuff like Astro City and Tellos.

My timescale must messed up, I always thought Busiek was a bit after Kieth and Giffen, but Astro City is definitely great regardless.

Dat feet hiding tech.....

My definition of "second wave" is pretty loose desu

You know it!

Riptide is a legendary waifu
I love this shit, haters gonna hate

>Riptide is a legendary waifu
>she's still dead

Also, in this issue we are introduced to best Extreme character

>Hassan Kussein
This will never not make me laugh.

I remember thinking Image was the hottest, most I'll shit back then

My excuse is that I was no older then 8 at the time

We were all there at some point user, don't worry.

So, in /sug/ we got that thing where two images get psoted simultaneously and they switch places, so we got a random page of youngbloods, but I guess it must have been somewhere else, I don't see the SU image here

Kay

The bug doesn't work that way anymore.
It just eats one of the two.

So rad. Popping a wheelie through a window with no handlebars.

Hints of the failed shared universe concept. Note that the woman reporter is the same as the one who appears in the news reports in Spawn.

Embedded file my ass

Yeah, and it gets more blatant later. I don't know why you'd want ANOTHER superhero universe.

>and Erik.
Savage Dragon is solid

>I don't know why you'd want ANOTHER superhero universe.

That's seems to be Valiant fans biggest selling point. They just want tight continuity

It just seems kinda restrictive when you could be working on your own shit. Like, I don't mind superhero universes contained to one book like Astro City, but anything else feels kinda pointless to me, especially if you're going to ape the Big Two.

Time for some new coloring.

jesus those lips

totally read the first few pages as archie and betty stuck in image comics

Heh

i know this is trademark liefeld, but fuck this is a stupid pose