Adulthood is when you realize that Karl makes more sense

>Adulthood is when you realize that Karl makes more sense

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=rr1Jdtf3KgY
pilkipedia.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Flaws_in_Karl's_reasoning
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_Laser_Ranging_experiment
youtube.com/watch?v=oElQNx4W8o8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

He's a lot less of unbearable than his fat fred flinstone looking fucker pal.

Adulthood is realizing that Karl is the ONLY one who ever made any kind of sense. Even the so-called "weird tangents" he'd go on had grounding in logic, despite whatever shit Ricky or Stephen would give him.

This, Karl prefers to reflect on the issue imposed from all angles and questionings forms before forming a full opinion. He offers valid and real historical points that the others are too stupid to belive because they rely too much in common sense, while Karl is capable of thinking outside the box and do researches

this is because Karl Pilkington was always and will always be the genius comedian we needed. Karl as a character resounds as someone with so little care about reality and only his own internal logic like a Zeno-esque mother fucker or even Diogenes. Ricky Gervais is a fucking attention hog, Merchant is alright, but Karl always is the star.

>thinking adulthood has anything to do with it

well no the real reason is because
>*brings the mic closer*

every 10 years your cells in your body actually completely change.
i was reading this article about how DMT can actually advance this process into only taking 6 years because your pineal gland- jaimie could you get that article up? yeah but its because your pineal glands can actually make your cells rejuvenate faster ... here we go
>*looks over at the screen*

look at that ...
yeah that chimp must be what? 400 pounds? jesus those things will tear you to shreds

Karl's appeal is that he's a real dude. He doesn't put on an act or try to make people laugh. He says what's on his mind.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=rr1Jdtf3KgY

The smaller the concept, the harder it is for Karl to be wrong. The thing is, he never tackles large concepts without being goaded by the other two, thus making them look like wanks and him looking like an idiot.
I think people get absorbed in how comfy the show is and forget the entire concept is to force that dynamic.

>1:20 to 1:32

No, adulthood is realizing that Karl is wrong about a lot of stuff- but thats okay, thats just how he goes about things
Its also realizing they were making a fucking podcast, and the other two were just straight up talking to him- and when you listen to him unedited he comes off as an idiot way more than the edited versions of the show.
Karl make senses when he finally gets to his point a good number of times (even when steve and ricky disagree with him), but he has no conversational skills to speak of, we as viewers can listen or watch things multiple times until we follow, or have visual aids and heavy edits to help us get to karl's point faster
But when the other two have to listen, they have to listen to every tangent he goes on until he makes his point- if he even does- which is much harder to do.

This is why we get Ricky cutting him off so much- he's trying to get Karl to focus and get to his point faster, and why we get Steve's "let him finish!": steve understands the way Karl thinks and speaks uses the tangents to connect his thoughts together.

One of my favorite Karl moments is when they're talking about cloning someone with all your mempries, and Karl brings up the question of which clone would be the real person. Rickly laughs at him like an idiot, but that kind of question of identity is actually a huge topic of debate within philosophy circles.

Karl was absolutely right in being confused about that notion. Ricky was the idiot for brushing it off.

The funny thing is Ricky is a philosophy major

I have to wonder if he's just eager to laugh at Karl so he doesn't bother actually listening to what is being said, or did he truly not appreciate what Karl was getting at.

>He says what's on his mind.

tfw you realize karlfags are just trumpfags in disguise.

No, but wha' I mean is, 'e doesn't have much of a filter on 'im, right? Jus' stream of a consciousness.

Probably a bit of both

pilkipedia.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Flaws_in_Karl's_reasoning

Is this page correct?

I don't understand how people can still think that Karl Pilkington is a real personality and not a character he and Ricky invented.

It really isn't. Karl isn't a "genius" or any of that shite people say when they're licking his arse because they like him so much.

Karl is a fucking idiot. That's the point, that's the appeal. He's a gullible fool who is incredibly down to Earth and just says what he thinks with either little self awareness or filter, or he gives no shits about showing them.

Point to times he made sense and Ricky and Stephen shat on him, sure. Like the time he was asking if peoples internal monologue have their accent, or when he said VR would be a thing in the future. That's fine, but it doesn't make him a "genius" or mean he makes more sense.

I mean, Monkey News is one big testament to him making no fucking sense.

I fucking love Karl Pilkington, I reckon he's top notch and always worth listening to, but he doesn't make "more sense". That's half the fucking point.

Is this the new Karl Dilkington thread?

The world would be a much better place if it was ran by Karls.

That guy's voice Karl's talking to is really grating

Wow, I'm reading some of the stuff on Steve and it's pretty brutal.

>He agreed to drive them because a girl he liked was coming along. Unfortunately, another boy whom the girl apparently fancied also joined them. They directed Steve to a field and then ran off to grab Vera, a Vietnamese potbellied pig. Not wanting to appear uptight in front of his crush, he let his friends put the pig in the car. On the way back, he wedged the Volvo horizontally in a country lane. Steve began to panic, and soon started to cry. The situation was rectified when Steve's rival got into the driving seat and freed the car, leaving him tear-soaked and emasculated in the backseat.

That can't have really happened though,,,Right?

>He was gutted when he discovered he could have saved 20 pounds on a video game system he had just purchased. He asked Ricky to give him 20 pounds to make him feel better.

I wonder what his ethnic heritage is...

Here's the excerpt from the show.

>Steve: So they’re having a wild time, hilarious. So this time, now we get to a sort of dead end in the, in the road, and they say “well turn round, let’s go back to the party…” I’m thinking ‘fine’, try and do a three point turn in this very narrow country lane, right, get the Volvo estate wedged horizontally across the road. Can’t get it out, just can’t seem to sort it out. I don’t know why and now I’m panicking cos there’s a pig in the car, right, and local disgruntled farmers, right, people drunk, partying, probably off their head on some kind of weed, Rick..

>Ricky: Was it loads of blokes with like pitchforks and flaming torches going “burn him; he’s playing with our pig…”

>Steve: Exactly that, and, and so then, you know, I was so terrified that all I could think was there gonna have to send a helicopter to lower a magnet, onto the top of the car to lift the car up and put it the right way round.

>Ricky: You used to read a lot of comics didn’t ya?

>Steve: Yeah.

>Ricky: Yeah

>Steve: So, you know what I started doing?

>Ricky: What?

>Steve: Crying.

>Ricky: Did you really?

>Steve: Yeah.

>Ricky: Why?

>Steve: Just started crying, just slightly, started getting upset and the other guy that the girl fancied, he had to get into the driving seat and sort it out for me…

>Ricky: Oh no.

>Steve: By slowly edging forward and backwards…

>Ricky: So that’s the worst bit of the whole story…

>Steve: Yeah, edging slowly back and forwards, he just sorted it out slowly, slowly, slowly, slowly worked the car back round and then we were off.

>Ricky: You were just gently weeping…

>Steve: Just gently weeping in the back…

>Ricky: While the bloke had just taken the bird that you saw from a distance, that was basically your wife in your head by then, wasn’t it, I can’t believe it.

>Steve: We were happily married with a pig for a child.

>Ricky cackles

HEAD

The one who didn't come out of a vat, bro.

>and why we get Steve's "let him finish!":

Fucking Ricky just can't let the mank twat speak freely.

This.

But if both of you have the same memories, how do you know which one came out of the vat?

A

FUKKIN

ORANGE

One of you won't have memories of coming out of a vat.

Steve would've definitely been a red pill or /r9k/ regular if such things existed when he was young.

You only have to listen to him talking about wanting to wear bow ties and fedoras when he was young to try and make girls think he was sophisticated.

He was ahead of his time since that would've been in the 90s.

I like the parts where ricky reveals hes actually kind of ignorant himself. Sometimes when he's just sorta handwaving away why something Karl says is wrong, getting the conclusion correct but revealing that he actually doesn't know why it's correct.

One thing I remember is when karl said they should put a mirror on the moon, but it would still be too small to see without a telescope. Ricky mocked him on the basis that it would be too far away and what about when the moon was facing away. Karl asked if the moon rotates and Ricky just laughed at him incredulously.

Except the moon actually always has the same side facing us. And astronauts did put a series of mirrors on the moon, for experiments with lasers. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_Laser_Ranging_experiment

Ricky is or was quite a fan of science so I think he always thought he knew better. He does come across was an idiot a lot though when he dismisses stuff just because it's come out of Karl's mouth.

>there are people who haven't listened to the xfm shows and have not heard the "orse in the ouse" story

youtube.com/watch?v=oElQNx4W8o8

>Ricky is or was quite a fan of science

yeah exactly

"fans" of science are like people who subscribe to "I fucking love science" and uncritically absorb any dumb popsci article that crosses their line of sight. people who think that because they have faith in science instead of fairies or cloudgods that means they're smart.

to be fair, science gets results, and you're more likely to be right if you put their faith in that instead of whatever was written in the bible or whatever, but that's just one tiny instance of critical thinking that tries to paper over a massive amount of intellectual laziness. "Look at all these dumb sheeple who believe in god! I'm smarter than 85% of people in the world!" Meanwhile if popular science published an article describing how dinosaurs could actually breathe fire you'd have them believing in dragons in a hot second.

I mean for example, multiple times in the podcast Ricky repeated the stupid myth that sharks don't get cancer.

Naked mole-rats don't get cancer (or are extremely resistant too it anyway)
Why not mention that?

>"What would you do if you had a clone of yourself?"
>"What would do me 'ead in is, how would I know which one I was?"

>So it's that time in the show where we do everyone's favourite segment. Um, Clark? Would you like to do the jingle?
>Ooooh, he's only gone and written it down! [unintelligible noises]
>So we're going to have another reading from Bruce's Bat-Log, where he keeps all his personal files on his most dangerous rogues. Like the man who tells people riddles or the lass who dresses up like a cat.
>Ooh, yeah, they're all very intimidating, aren't they? I mean I only fight a psychotic extradimensional dictator who's, uh, who's bent on bloody... destroying all life in the universe, but Bruce, here, fights clowns and puppets.
>Just as well considering he's a bit of a muppet himself.
>[Clark Laughs]
>Um... Well, it's not like you can talk, though, Diana, is it? Just the other day, like, you were fighting a little midget fella.
>OH, HE'S DONE YOU AGAIN, DIANA! AHAHA!
>Wasn't having a go at you, Bruce, I was just making the observation that your rogues aren't exactly the same tier as mine or Clark's.
>But what's the point in that, though? It doesn't matter, does it?
>Well, no, it does matter, you daft cunt, because we save the world from being destroyed and you save it from having too many plants.
>[Diana snickers]
>Go on then, Diana, give it a read.
>"Got a call from Commissioner Gordon today. He said that the Joker had escaped from Arkham Asylum again. I told him not to worry about it, since I was going to find him and catch him again. He asked why I didn't kill the Joker because he'd already gone about killing plenty of our mates. I told him that it didn't really matter since we're all going to die eventually just like me mum and dad."
>[Clark Laughs Hysterically]
>Hold on now, Bruce, what kind of argument is that?
>Why'd you go and bring that up, you dopey idiot!? Ahaha! He only went and turned it into another chance to whine about his parents! Ahahaha!
>But that's the thing though, innit? My parents are dead, so it only makes sense, doesn't it?
>NO IT DOESN'T, BRUCE!

> I told him that it didn't really matter since we're all going to die eventually just like me mum and dad."

I can actually hear him saying that.

To be fair though, people believe all sorts of shit they are told until they are proven wrong.

You and I both no doubt have a number of "facts" we think are true, but are in fact false.

Elephants are the only mammal that can't jump.

Is that true? I dunno probably. I have no reason to doubt it. I'm going to check as soon as I'm done posting.

But that's my point. Everyone has these notions that are put forward as fact that are in reality bollocks.

The difference I guess with the whole "hurr faith in science" thing is that if you show someone that the "science fact" they thought was true is infact a crock of shite, they'll probably change their tune.

You can't expect people to hold absolutely no erroneous beliefs, only that they change their tune if you point out they're talking shit.

So there's this, er... really powerful.. flying bloke. Has proper superpowers an' the like. Invincible. He goes around the world, rescuin' those in distress. And there's this.. other superhero, who's jelous of 'im. He's like "Oh.. can't be doin' with this. I do all the work here, fighting the baddies, and he comes in from space and takes over." So he, eh.. makes a deal, with this millionaire. They kidnap the bloke's mum, righ'? An' that makes him.. come to them. "What have you done to me mum!" An' the other two, they say that, y'know, he's out of line, and the two superheroes fight... but like, eh, they fight for a while, and stop.. because the superheroes realise, they have the same mum. An' they were.. sort of, long lost brothers. And then, the invincible superhero? He dies.

Bollocks Karl, this didn't happen. The superhero from space bit yeah, I'll give you that, but they didn't fucking stop fighting cause their mums have the same name you dopey cunt

[Ricky falls off the chair screeching with laughter at Karl]

I kek'd

>"Turns out...robot was a big monkey fella."

>myth
Fuck that, the tubby little idiot forgot Chimps had thumbs.

lots of other animals have thumbs. fuckin possums have thumbs. some dinosaurs had em, back when they were muckin about with cavemen

>Karl says anything at all
>Rick: YOU FUCKING MUPPET YOU ARE AN IDIOT KARL PILKINGTON WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?
>Steve: Hold on Ricky let him finish...
>Karl inhales
>Rick and Steve: HOLY SHIT SHUT UP KARL
Was the point of this shit just for me to hate Ricky Gervais and Steven Merchant? because if so job well done, they're total cunts

10/10

Are you American perchance?

I find yanks often don't understand the finer subtleties that being a cunt to your mates for banter purposes can provide.

A little monkey fella with sufficient grippage.

That or Kidney stones.

>Well, no, it does matter, you daft cunt, because we save the world from being destroyed and you save it from having too many plants.

Thanks for the laugh, user.

>mank
A person from Mankester?

more please?

Gervais and Merchant are totally committed to busting Karl's balls because that's the premise of the show. This is why they won't let up on the smallest things. There are times when Gervais backs off because he can see things aren't going in a funny enough direction. It's a form of improv comedy.

It's derived from "Mancurian", the adjective for Manchester, so there is that "k" sound.

The subtitles on the DVDs were done by filthy non-British scum or something because they erroneously sub that as "man".

And the animators also didn't know what beans on toast looks like.

only on Sup Forums would you find people who think that agreeing with the moanings of a doughy but lovable idiot means you are an adult

I've never seen it spelt any way other than Manc.

Oh God. Thank you for this. Needed that laugh.

>And the animators also didn't know what beans on toast looks like.

It really twisted my melon when I found out that Americans don't have baked beans. Seems right up their street.

I mean my local tesco has about half an isle dedicated to baked beans, baked beans with sausages etc. It's bizare to think of America as a place where they aren't the norm.

I don't even fucking like Baked Beans

baked beans exist but they don't go on fucking toast you disgusting brit and your repulsive food

Have you ever tried it?

>Karl thinks of an interesting hypothetical

>Ricky: A KARL YOU FUCKING IDIOT HOW WOULD A THING LIKE THAT LITERALLY EXIST HOW WOULD YOU BUILD IT

Is Ricky retarded?

We have baked beans a plenty, we just don't have them on toast. It sounds pretty gud to me though

It's pretty good, I tried it with pork and beans once out of boredom.

>found out that Americans don't have baked beans.
We love baked beans, but they go with barbecue. I'm not opposed to the idea of putting it on toast, but that just seems like a worthless amount of beans. What about a bowl of baked beans with four or five toast slices used for dipping/scooping?

>they go with barbecue

I don't think we're talking the same kind of beans here. Heinz beans come in a sort of tomatoey sauce

In that case, I've probably never had them. Doesn't sound familiar at all.

>American baked beans

Oooh chimpanzee that monkey news

Don't talk shit about our beans, you limey fuckwit.

I'll stop talking shit about your bollocks beans when you lot in Burgerland start spelling things like colour properly you absolute fucking roaster.

>ye go on

NEVER! I will die on this colorful hill!

he always made more sense.

alan carr isnt half camp

if you can give a clone all your memories, you could give YOU memories of coming out of a vat

there's one little difference
things in the bible are things that people in (at the time) the most advanced culture in the world thought were plausible and didn't violate any of their direct experience, and did so for millennia.
with science it helps to wait a couple weeks in case they change their mind

You deserve Trump.

>All the stoners getting their minds blown by that fact.

You ever been blazed mate? Its not surprising that you would be mind blown by that shit.

I sat and listened to Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" while off my tronnet the other day because I realised I'd never actually partaken in that stereotype.

I was on fucking pluto the music was mind blowing.

Listening back to it again this morning, it's still fucking incredible, but it wasn't completely fucking bonce expanding in quite the same way.

heard it in his voice perfectly

I did say that science beats the bible, didn't I? my issue is with people who think uncritically reading "I fucking love science" means they're smart. Yeah they're gonna get plenty of true stuff in there with the nonsense, but because they have a false notion of their own intelligence they go around smugly shutting down inarticulate idiots like Karl even when they have the occasional legitimate point. On the average, they're right more often than the Karls of the world, but not as much as they think.

I'm not at all a religious or "spiritual" person, but going back to the atheist thing, you know that ricky gervais, in the same period he was doing the podcast, did a standup special with a lengthy bit where he debunked noah's ark? beyond just being hacky, its just obnoxious to take down the tiny fraction of sheltered idiots who are biblical literalists and go around pretending to be smarter than the majority of the world's population who is religious in some way. Maybe it rubs me the wrong way because when I was young I was definitely an edgy little proselytizing atheist myself, and a "science fan" to boot. Luckily that transferred to a love of actual science, and guess what? when I was in school I was surprised to know tons of really smart people who were incidentally religious. not "secret atheists who pretend for the benefit of others" but people who like go to church or mosque or whatever every week, because they get something out of it.

Enough of Karl comes out in non-scripted context that, yeah, he sort of plays a character version of himself with things like Monkey News, but it's mostly ad-lib. And the personality of the guy behind the ad-lib is still appealing.

It's like the difference between a good comic and a bad comic telling similar jokes.

>Enough of Karl comes out in non-scripted context that, yeah, he sort of plays a character version of himself with things like Monkey News, but it's mostly ad-lib

Its more evident in the podcast, where you get more of them discussing segment ideas and the like, where karl demonstrates that he actually is a decent producer who understands what makes an entertaining show. he's not a genius by any means, but he definitely plays things up a bit for the benefit of making things entertaining.

I just wish he would feel better about his contributions to the world. Sure hes not a heart surgeon, but he makes a lot of people happy and I wish that could make him feel good.

>tiny fraction of sheltered idiots who are biblical literalists

It's really NOT a tiny fraction and I think anyone who grew up around religious people will recognize this for the laughable internet apologist propaganda that it is. The majority of Christians believe that most of the Bible is literally true. Yes, that includes Catholics. Just because priests and more "intellectual" believers are into abstract theology that apologizes away the obvious stupid bullshit in the Bible doesn't mean those distinctions filter down to the general population of believers. Go take a poll of Christians asking if Noah's ark was real, your stupid propaganda will be shot to hell.

Nah its the minority. Even in America, where it's most prevalent (biblical literalism is an american invention). Just double-checked because you seemed so confident. Bigger minority than I thought, I'll give you that.

That man has the best laugh.