What went so wrong?

What went so wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kx02qT2p5uk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Cutaway gags in an action cartoon. Heard they stopped doing that and it got better later on.

The first team were all assholes to each other.

Later versions of the team got along better and the cartoon improved a lot.

It's a thoroughly mediocre show that had the misfortune of being the follow up to Spectacular Spider-Man.

Loeb. Next question.

Lack of romance for Spider-Man/White Tiger. And Spider-Man behaves more like Deadpool

The writing is not even that great. Infact it's quite childish and stupid with plots that have no meaning or sense

I kinda liked the few seasons because it had a focus on villains and it only had a small amount of heroes then it got waaay too big by seasons 3 and specially 4.
Too many shitty side characters that had nothing.

>Deadpool episode
>Change the attitude of spiderman for make deadpool suitable at the show.

They simply made another deadpool and justified themselves by calling it ultimate.

>Lack of romance for Spider-Man/White Tiger.

Literally the only positive aspect of the show.

>Family guy vutaway gags and rembuh whens
>Monkey screeching noises
>BO and squelchy potty humor
>Doesn't have what makes Spider-Man good
>Shit writing
>Shit characters

They also have the worst version of Sam Alexander

Nova was on screen

Loeb's son died. And Nova didn't suffer enough to make him likeable. Also the artstyle and color schemes were so boring when compared to EMH.

Also the Latam dub sucked balls when compared to spectacular and EMH. Everything sounds so lifeless

Drake Bell.

I honestly share that sentiment. Sure the teammates were jerks, and they could've handled that better, but I thought it was more varied, then.
Then they started adding teammates and going for big stories, which wasn't totally a bad thing, but then nothing came out of it and characters just straight up disappeared until they were relevant.
They could've done more with Squirrel Girl.

Luke and Danny were teenagers instead of them using actual teenage heroes like the Young Avengers or some shit.

Lack of direction.

As the series went on, Spider-man's status quo went through a lot of abrupt and unnecessary changes. The biggest being that Spider-Man's team kept getting replaced without warning.

Iron Fist, Power Man, Nova, and White Tiger just unceremoniously got out of the way as Peter got a new team. Then that team got virtually ushered out and replaced by a team of figurative and literal Spider-Man clones. The replaced characters then became wallpaper/kidnap victims.

I didn't watch the show religiously, so every time I watched I wondered how and why things got changed up the way they did. Then I'd look it up, then come away more confused.

Also, am I crazy, or wasn't there supposed to be some sort of continuity between this and the other shows? Because it seems like they threw that out the window a long time ago.

>Dull art design
>Boring animation and fight scenes
>Generic plots and story arcs
>Cringeworthy attempts at humor
>MCU and current comic shilling, albeit not as bad as Avengers Assemble or Guardians of the Galaxy
>Lifeless voice acting
>Marvel and Disney giving it 100+ episodes, despite no one liking it.

funny how they reverted doc ock looks on the last episodes

Almost every bit of dialogue was a bad joke, an insult, calling back to the moral of the episode, or boring advancement of the plot.

Almost no one on any team seems like they're actually friends with their peers, and there's nothing interesting going on when they interact.

Everyone's character design looks like they're filled in templates or fresh from the toy mold. No sharp edges or cool details. Everyone is flat, dull, and uninspired. Plus everyone has seriously pronounced man-jaws, including the women.

These also goes for all the other Marvel shows.

I miss spectacular spiderman and EMH, guys.

>Hear that the next Spider-Man cartoon is gonna be called Ultimate.
>Expected an adaptation of the Ultimate comics.
>mfw it's just a piece of shit.

After all these decades, Marvel can't make decent cartoons on their own.

So was this cartoon supposed to be like Brave and the Bold and have Spidey team up with a different Marvel character each week? It felt like that except done nowhere near as good ad Brave and the Bold.

No, at least during the first seasons he always had a stable team. Also, TBATB embraced the silver age camp

We all do, user.

We all do.

>It's a comedy show
>Main protagonist is always breaking the fourth wall
>Milks every aspect of the Marvel Movies
>VA is a pop singer and "teen" comedian
>There are no real threats, villains are dumb
>Show is so toyetic it doesn't even hide it

The only good things were Ava and Aunt May

p-pic of Aunt May from the show?

To be perfectly honest, I think Drake Bell was a pretty good choice for Peter/Spidey's voice, but the shitty writing and terrible jokes just dragged the whole show down so fucking much.

I didn't mind the freeze frame moments where Spidey would talk at the viewers, but I'd prefer if they were fewer and far between, and acted more as a visual representation of Spidey doing his inner monologues and musings, with the occasional inner quip.

Also, the actual mid-fight "quips" were fucking terrible. They weren't even Spidey-tier quips, they were your bog standard Man of Action "non-joke" quips.

Lack of creativity. Possible writer infighting?
Unrelated spider video:

youtube.com/watch?v=kx02qT2p5uk

>your bog standard Man of Action "non-joke" quips.

I feel like i've seen this before, but I don't know where

Hey, guys, me Spider-Man again. Get this. I was sitting here, browsing Sup Forums when I come upon this question and /now/ have to respond it! The person asking the question? OP of course! OP is another user who browses this board, he's known for being a bit of a faggot at times. It just makes me feel /so/ frustrated that I have to respond to this. What will Aunt May think? Oh yeah, Aunt May, she raised me when my parents died. She's like a super Aunt! *Monkey noises*

She reminds me of Glenn Close from The Devil Wears Prada

Spidey, watch out! You have disembodied fingers on your shoulder!

Loeb.

He believes these shows shouldn't have plots or anything similar and that you should be able to watch the last episode before the first and not realize it. And of course no ongoing-story arcs.

>Expected an adaptation of the Ultimate comics.
>mfw it's just a piece of shit.
They were faithful in that aspect.

>Wolverine never had sex with Mary Jane or Ava while being trapped in Peter's body

*monkey sfx*

This was basically a New Warriors cartoon with Spider-Man's name attached.

You mean Monkey Squawk?

There was actually a finale where they team up with the Avengers and the Avengers offer Spidey a spot on their team. What's really funny is that the way they edited it, you can tell the original ending was him turning them down to stay on the original team, but Marvel being AVENGERS AVENGERS AVENGERS edited it so he would be on the Avengers for the start of the next season, contradicting the message they were going for because AVENGERS matter more than your friends.

not enough Sam

>Spectacular clearly was setting up Carnage

Why? That's such an odd way of thinking forma someone who's worked on comics as long as him.

Except Loeb never does long term stories. He just drops 6 issues, then leaves, and usually ignores continuity.

It had Spider-Man in it. When Spidey is your top tier guy, you're in fuckin' trouble.

Everyone agreed he was the worst part of the show, which is accomplishment considering how bad the show was.

> Spectacular was clearly setting up Hobgoblin Saga and Kingsley as a huge villain.

It completely missed the entire point of Spider-Man

he was my niece's favorite character on the show when I babysat her and led me to buy my first comic ever
so fuck you I genuinely love SamNova

This guy got it the closest I've seen so far.

Show tries to be too much "Whoooaaoooh, huhu, you're watching a cartoon, bazinga!"

Its obviously trying to sell toys, trying too hard to be a joke and be "serious", the jokes are all shit, atmosphere is shit, references are shit, cutaway gags a shit, Peter a shit personality, even the plots it tries to have are wasted potential

yet it'll keep going because it indeed exists to sell toys and that's it.

I think Sam is one of the worst recent characters from Marvel, and even the few people I've met who liked the show hated him.

He act more like Waypool than Deadpool

>It's a thoroughly mediocre show

That's putting it nicely.

ok well I like him and he got me into comics, since then I've gotten a MU subscription, bought a bunch of trades and omnis and read a ton of storytimes
all because of Sam
he's my favorite Marvel character
and it started because of the show
he's the reason I read comics

>Everyone agreed he was the worst part of the show,

He was, which was why I was surprised he turned out a lot better in the comics. Even the ones Loeb himself wrote.

Well, I already think you have some incredibly shit taste for liking him, and liking the fucking USM version of him just confirms that.
I think Marvel should grow some balls and just get rid of him already, but I guess they're still hoping Sam will hit his stride like Miles did.
You can like whatever you want, though. I am curious what other godawful abominations you like. What is your opinion on Civil War 2 and Champions?

If he stripped to his underwear perhaps people would have liked him more.

>yet it'll keep going because it indeed exists to sell toys and that's it.

It actually ended last month.

I don't like Civil War 2 or Champions, feel like the only time Miles was written well was that one fun version of the Ultimates that no one read and love Gwenpool
I recently started reading a bunch of Marvel Adventures, Spider-Man loves Mary Jane and Spider-Girl which are giving me similar fun vibs
I don't really like the original ASM or Ultimate Spider-Man writing at all
Ms. Marvel really isn't that fun for me, I'm 19 so I just got out of hs recently and it just seems super sycophantic to me
I like teenage/young adult heroes just doing super things getting over thehir head and having fun
Sam really hits the spot for me, even his USM incarnation
the only older series that I really like are Gen13 and Runaways

I was 19 when Sam debuted, and I've thought he was shit since day one.
I don't like any of the teenage heroes, personally. I just think Sam is the worst of them.
Everyone that watched the show excluding you and Jeph will agree that he was the worst thing about USM

what I've read of Generation X was good too but have never in my life read any Teen Titans story that was remotely interesting

Nova on USM got me into comics
is there a way to contact Loeb? I feel like I can't be the only on who likes him
my niece does too. What's so bad about that depiction or any other one? he's not even bad in champions, I just don't think Waid can write a compelling story at all
the kid is kinda dumb, doesn't have a lot of friends and suffers a lot
is it so weird that I relate?

Jeph should have has his email listed somewhere you can find. I bet he'll think it's spam. While I'm sure you're not the only person who likes the USM incarnation, the number of people who liked him on that show is probably less than 100.
In the comics, to me, he comes across as as self absorbed asshole, like he time he couldn't remember the original Nova's name. In the show, it's even worse, and he's just an infuriating dickhead.
Waid writes him as a dick too. The main reason Kamala hated him when they first met is because she thought he was a douche, but Waid also doesn't write any of the characters he works with right. So, that's kind of a wash.
I don't think it's weird that you relate to someone like that, but more so pathetic.

he's a kid who recently kinda lost his dad who all of a sudden has a lot of power/potential and doesn't know how to juggle responsibilities at all
I was 16 when I found him and really related
everyone write him as a Dick and that kinda makes sense that he is. The world around him kinda fucking sucks, he's the only hero that isn't a genius, he doesn't have friends calling him on the regular only for necessity, his psuedo-role models are constancy fucking around in space or doing god knows what with Kang or fighting each other
he's a teen with no on really to turn to besides his mom and he doesn't want to burden her
he should be a little antagonistic
no one has really accepted him as anything more than a burden/fuck-up
I'm praying Loveness sticks because he's writing Sam better than even Duggan did
he feels genuine, actually funny instiead of cringe Ms Marvel humor or Slott shit

Like I said, I don't care for any teenage hero, so that archtype just falls apart with me.
His characterization to me just felt like they tried to copy and paste Richard from 40 years ago, but that really doesn't work. I enjoyed the progress he made into becoming the commander of a united front for the universe. Regression like that was pointless, even if it was done on a replacement character.
I'd like it if he could at least take a break from the main Nova title since I want that book to succeed. Him being there is why I think it'll be canned by issue 10.
Also, the humor falls flat for me. Like,
>Sam forgot to put clothes and now he's in his underwear! Is that funny?
I guess. If I was 10. Some outdated internet references would have been funnier
Also, I get why you'd like the character you described, but that's not what he was in USM.

>Glenn Close
Yo that was Meryl Streepin that movie

This
>Hey, guys, we heard you liked all of our characters. So we made them all into unlikable dickholes. That good with you?

How do you end up making miles and agent venom a bunch of boring faggots?

Simple. Spider-Man does not belong in the Avengers.

Avengers began as, and works best as, a melting pot for characters who have potential but not enough pull to sustain a solo book.
Making them Marvel's Justice League is cramming a square peg in a round hole.

An then there's this fiasco, which goes a step further and jam a young, inexperienced Spider-Man on a Junior Avengers team early in his career which completely borks your attempts to adapt his stories off the bat.

The whole thing drips of an executive comittee who has never actually enjoyed a comic ticking off a checklist of 'surefire means of achieving mass appeal' and poking it confusedly with a stick every time it fails to print money