Is the Golden age objectively the best Era of comics?

Is the Golden age objectively the best Era of comics?

Sure sold a lot more.

Bronze age is best

That argument is like touting that MASH was so objectively great that it holds the records for most watched TV finale. It doesn't take into account that there were only 3 networks on the air producing new content at the time. People watched what they were presented with. Today consumer dollars are more scarce as there are more entertainment avenues to spend your money on

>Generic powers
>Shallow WW2 propaganda
>Bland characters and plots
Silver Age was when things got good

Agreed.

The amount of creativity during the Silver Age is amazing. I understand that it was because of the CCA but it still showed so much imagination.

>>Generic powers
Lol what's generic about them? They were the first ones? Seems to be they'd be pretty new and unique.

bronze

No it's old and therefore bad.

Super strength has been around before Greek mythology.
Sometimes they didn't even had powers and were just given tights and a gun if they were lucky

modern age story telling set in the golden age. the golden age was for retards and babies

doesn't quite work when applied to comics considering there was dozens of different companies during the Golden Age and hundreds of different books being published

Cap marvel, plastic man and batman were good

DC Golden Age, is great when other Ages use plot points for lore. Yeah i know most of Sup Forums dislikes continuity.
Golden Age actually got me into comics, 1st comic encounter was Crisis on Multiple Earths. Hell my first 4 comics were TPBs of CoME, CoIE, Zero Hour and Kingdom Come. Most of those play off the Golden Age, so it has a special place with me personally. (my first Marvel comic was a TPB of Essential Spider-man and Thor volume 1s)

TL;DR
Golden Age is best when referenced to in other Ages

Agreed. Also Freedom Fighters in Infinite crisis were great. Same with E2 Supes and Lois.

>Freedom Fighters in Infinite crisis
One of the best books of the time. Plus when E2 Supes was interacting with the JSA.

There's a reason silver age are the guys who stuck around. More creative, less formulaic. Carmine Infantino's Flash is proof. Once Barry Allen comes along, the series spikes in quality.

It didn't have to compete with television and internet and videogames.

Silver and Bronze are the best.

If you actually read some Golden age and not just Alex Ross shit, you'd know it was fucking awful.

Does Alex Ross seem to be perpetually in love with the 1960s? What gives?

Silver > Golden > everything else.

No, the Bronze age is the best era or comics. Intelligent stories and well written characters, creators who love the form taking it to new heights with new found freedom.

Golden age is like silent film from the first two decades of the 20th century: it shows the development of the form and introduces some standards, but is ultimately shallow in content. Sure a train rushing towards the camera was thrilling when it came out, but not anymore. Same goes for Golden Age comics, stiff and formulaic with rudimentary art. an essential stepping stone for the form, and important historical relic.

This guy has it right.

A lot of golden age comics are adaptations of prose stories and radio dramas, comics don't invent much except costumes.

I'd scratch Batman off that list and add Wonder Woman, Stardust, Newsboy Legion, and various humor features by Basil Wolverton and Harvey Kurtzman to that list.

Overall, compared to newspaper comics of that era, comic books were trash. Terry and the Pirates, Buz Sawyer, Johnny Hazard, Dick Tracy, and many more were so much better. That's just adventure strips. Throw in the humor stuff from the same time and it's overwhelming how much great stuff was coming out.

If you're a golden age guy that's cool but if you only talk about comic books of that time you have shit taste because comic books were shit.

Golden bump

No, probably not.
Most imaginative and best selling maybe, but the actual storytelling was unrefined, and almost everything was written as 8-16 page stories, with minimal inter-story continuity so rarely were things able to build to a big payoff.

Also the art was cranked out on a quantity basis. Only people like the EC guys or C.C.Beck cared about what they were making

Comic studios would hand artists pages with already printed panels to speed them along

Nnnnnot really. There were some damn good writers and artists at the time, but there was a lot of cruft, with heroes fighting goofy aliens and Nazombies, usually with a kid sidekick that was meant to be an audience surrogate but nowadays just seems kinda fruity

As far as comics go there were a hell of a lot more options back then then I think there was at any other period. After the CCA hit things were never the same.

bump

Bronze > Silver > Golden etc..
Whelp looks like i was pre-empted.

I would say rather than any particular age, it would be the sweet spot at the end of the sixties and into the beginiing of the 70's when the silver age was turning bronze.

>heroes fighting goofy aliens and Nazombies, usually with a kid sidekick
Is some pretty good shit. We need more of it. Compare to modern comics, where it's often the heroes fighting other heroes due to MISUNDERSTANDINGS and fighting the same one bad guy because everyone forgot who else was in the super hero's badgallery.