What The Fuck Marvel?

So I picked up Love is Love from my LCS and I while I won't go into a merits or flaws of the book itself, I will admit that I was pretty surprised that there wasn't use of a single Marvel Character.

Sure, most of little one-to-two page stories didn't feature any superheroes but there was use of DC character such as pic related.

Why the fuck didn't Marvel add anything to this? Is it because they couldn't make a buck from it or something? What's with this whole "diversity" drive when they won't even contribute to a book which supports the victims of the Pulse shooting? Is it because DC was involved; because if so it shows how petty Marvel is at the moment.

I've been reading Marvel books my whole life and I have to say I'm disappointed with them right now. At least contribute some characters to this book.

Other urls found in this thread:

cbr.com/love-is-love-andreyko-shares-powerful-stories-in-orlando-benefit-anthology/
youtube.com/watch?v=bV710c1dgpU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Why the fuck didn't Marvel add anything to this?

Because it was published by IDW with assistance from DC. Marvel was never involved to begin with.

IDW and DC have a sot of working relationship. Examples: The Teen Titans/Batman crossover.

Marvel wasn't involved. Why would you expect their characters in it?

Some creators known for their Marvel work did submit things though.

>At least contribute some characters to this book.

DC and IDW have a working relationship. They've done crossovers in the past and have I think three going right now. This was their project, not Marvels

It's because Love is Love was co-published by DC and IDW. It's not like IDW just went "hey can we use your characters?" and DC went "sure, go for it." DC and IDW have done crossover books before and have a good working relationship (see: all the DC crossovers with TMNT/Star Trek/Power Rangers/etc.)

This was essentially just another crossover book. It's not like any Image or Dark Horse characters appeared either.

>Jimmy Olsen and that big tranny in the corner

Legitimately cracks me up every time.

>D*sney
>collaborate

Nice joke. Unless it's fully under their thumb they want nothing to do with it.

Marvel wont do crossovers

>Let's use the victims of a mass shooting as a political tool to push our leftist agenda!

This was exactly what I expected it to be, and yet I'm somehow still mad.

Marvel is the least progressive company in comics.

How did you not know that? They only support what they can make money off of.

To be fair, all the proceeds went to aiding the victims. And it's more than Marvel's ever done to actually help people, beyond bitching on Twitter.

Actually here's the thing I think Marvel was willing or at least creators were, do you want to know how I know? Bendis has a segment in this book making it his only other dc work and work at IDW. There was swathes of talent on this.

It wasn't just DC and IDW charters though. JK Rowling in her infinite grace allowed them to use Harry and the old gay fella

All the money made from the books went you the victims of you shooting asshole.

It was for charity user

I have no doubt the creators wanted to work on it. This is clearly down to Ike the Kike

Which is exactly why Marvel would never be involved.

While the page is horrible and scared shitless to mention who the shooter was and why he did it the book was still for charity

Marc Andreyko organized it and afaik he's never done any Marvel work, he went to people he knew including some DC and IDW editors, IDW and DC got involved at about the same time so Marvel was probably never a factor

Bendis did have a page though, and Aaron/Latour did a Southern Bastards-ish page

He has worked with Marvel. He wrote a Deadpool book.

>IDW and DC have a sot of working relationship
>The Teen Titans/Batman

Ironically it appears it is you who is using the victims in order to appear outraged at the "leftist agenda".

oh, my mistake

That doesn't make it much better. They had absolutely no need to shove a political ad into something that was supposed to be honoring the victims of a shooting.

Wilson had a page, but she has worked for DC before

What political ad? Are you talking about him showing people websites for creators of colour and queer creators?

Like, if so you have a really weird view on politics.

I will admit as much as this book was nice I wish it didn't have that Deathstroke page in it. That is not a character you use for a moral highground. Thank god for Deathstroke 11.

>but seriously, fuck the NRA

>That doesn't make it much better.
So they can't talk about the victims in the book that's raising money for them? Stop being such a fucking retard. You don't need to virtue signal about how so not leftist you are.

>I'm sure better writers than me will do it brilliantly in here
wrong again, Tyler.
I guess he's just not a fan of the whole "Fuck the NRA and the bible thumping assholes" bit

Then make it clear that you're criticizing specific pages instead of pretending the entire book was bad

Some people got it right.

This.

I stay away from these types of books because I know the characters will be OOC to stand on a soapbox.

I wold Gladly have given the money to the charity but I have no interest in the book

Believe it or not, they had a rule that they wernt going to push politics. That legitimately is their idea of not pushing politics.

That writer is a comedian, so the deathstroke page is clearly meant to be self-aware about that.

I mean it's a nice thing they did and all but.....

>The dyke wearing the Harley Quinn shirt
She blew up children! How is Harley Quinn a hero that stands up for le oppressed? Because she's bisexual? She's a homicidal psychopath!

Look at the angry onlookers in the panel with the two guys kissing. They're all white, and the one guy looks like a priest. They're refusing to acknowledge who actually perpetrated the act.

Also, "cartoonists of color" has absolutely nothing to do with LGBT at all and was literally just shoved in there for promotion.

Here Andreyko explains how Love is Love came to be

cbr.com/love-is-love-andreyko-shares-powerful-stories-in-orlando-benefit-anthology/

>I wold Gladly have given the money to the charity

then why didn't you?

That's obviously Starfire.

>They're all white

they're BLUE.

The one that really worked was Extrano pages by Didio mostly because it was surprisingly deep look into some of the bad ideas DC has done and how much far they've come. It felt humble and sad rather than soapboxy.

Marvel loves to tout their diversity but they are actually hugely conservative. That's why they literally segregate their writers, forcing blacks to only write blacks.

Yeah that shit with Priest blew my mind.

That was my biggest gripe with the stories that actually did try to address the """causes""" of the shooting. They all washed over the religious motivation. And those that did chose to use a crucifix to represent any sort of religious motivation. Not to sound super Sup Forums-ish, but it sure as shit wasn't a conservitard Christian who went and shot up Pulse.

The Legion story that just called the guy "deranged" instead of calling him a religious zealot made me rage a bit too.

I would not call those pages self-aware.

Well I meant the DC charity specifically. I wasn't aware there were any others. I guess I could have just bought the book and given it to somebody else though. I think I'm just dumb, user

>Implying that guy didn't hate himself and then pledge himself to ISIS at the last minute

>Ike Perlmutter

Possibly a contributing factor.

>Not to sound super Sup Forums-ish, but it sure as shit wasn't a conservitard Christian who went and shot up Pulse.

It's not Sup Forumsish to state facts. Sup Forums's blanket racism is dangerous but it's also dangerous to ignore the fact that Islam is very intolerant towards homosexuals

Honestly it was an interesting experiment just from an artistic standpoint just to see which creators used their space well and all. Since it's the same basic subject matter that kind puts them all on even footing.

what level of trolling are you guys even on?

True. But he certainly wasn't a white, conservative NRA supporter.

I'm literally an openly-gay guy who's a proud member of the NRA. The fact that I own, and carry, a gun has prevented me and my boyfriend from being gaybashed on multiple occasions. I will never see why the lefties hate guns so much. It's a lot harder to be another statistic when you can fight back.

>Implying you can possibly know what his motivation really was

He could have been ISIS from the start or maybe he just liked cock and couldn't handle that due to being Muslim. You're never going to know so it's pointless speculating on it

This.

Personally, I really liked the one of that only showed a closed door and had text saying it could be anyone behind it.

I half think DC had Harley turn full psycho in the '52 because she was getting to be more popular than the male Bat-characters.
(the other half just blames thoughtless bad writing)
DC is pretty sexist more often than not, and it somehow actually gets worse when they try to pander.
So by that logic of course they decided that they built her up too much and had to take her down a notch.

Are you the same guy who pulled a gun on a bunch of rednecks who were threatening you and your bf and then went home and had a threesome?

>I will never see why the lefties hate guns so much.

A lot of the left has flipped on that and are buying more guns because of oppressive government. That thing they called a lot of Republicans crazy and paranoid over.

As we have seen in Euroe the last couple of years if a guy gets it into his head to kill a bunch of people he's going to find a way to do it gun or not

>He could have been ISIS from the start
what's "the start" in this case

user, I think it's best to avoid all blanket generalizations.

Hahaha. I'm totally surprised people remember that on here.

If someone hates badly enough to kill, they'll do it regardless of what they can get their hands on. They'll switch to something else. IEDs, pipe bombs. You name it.

>DC is pretty sexist

Kys you false flagging idiot. DC has always been ahead of the curb when it comes to including women and has far more actual good female characters than any other company. You sound incredibly dumb.

A few years I suppose

Curve*

When a Muslim country has gay rights we can talk

>DC is pretty sexist more often than not, and it somehow actually gets worse when they try to pander.

Literally Marvel

>IDW and DC has a working relationship
So you be saying every publisher wants to be pals with DC while no one wants to be in the same room as Marvel?

Pretty much

youtube.com/watch?v=bV710c1dgpU

4:08

This. I get that not all Muslims are like that. But, by and large, those "LBGT For Muslims" groups should just try going to Fallujah or Bagdhad and tell everyone that they're so happy to be in such a tolerant and enlightened country where everyone is cool with the fact that they smoke pole.

I think it's Marvel's choice but the result is the same regardless.

You can't view it like that. In America and Europe it is the year 2017.

In the Middle East outside of Dubai it is still the early 1900s if that. They are literally living in a different time. We have no business interacting with the past but if they want to come to the future there is no harm.

Lebanon is pretty liberal, comparatively

TMNT/Batman. Also MMPR/JLA, but that's Boom.

You've got to be kidding.
Or maybe you really do think being half-naked sex objects always identified as the underlings of MEN count as the single greatest ambition of all females?

>I will never see why the lefties hate guns so much.
People getting shot, basically. We used to be pro-gunz, but then people kept on shooting us in the sixties and seventies and we got sick of it.

Lebanon is on par with Israel though and has a long cultured history of being ahead of the rest of the countries over there. I was speaking more about Iraq, Afghanistan and Iran. Hell most of those people don't even have running water.

Name a single DC female that fits that criteria. I will wait. If you say Wonder Woman you will get laughed off the board.

Ah so it's bait. No one feed them the (You)s.

They are either a dumbass casual that doesn't read comics or being purposely obtuse.

Iraq would be about as shitty as it is Muslim as it would be Christian though. The issues they have over there are more complex than the God they worship, even if local demagogues use that as a reason to go to war.

>I've been reading Marvel books my whole life and I have to say I'm disappointed with them right now. At least contribute some characters to this book.

>Marvel uses character
>"Why are they using this character and making him a beacon for their agenda. Stop forcing this shit down my throat. I can't stand not to put the boook down and say it's not for me, so why don't you guys just stop doing the thing you've been doing forever."

That is my point though. They are just in a different time. We have no business interacting with them. There is even more of a gap between them and first world than the Colonist and the Native Americans.

We are basically time travelers to them.

I mean the Middle East as a whole definitely wouldn't be in the state it's in right now if France and Britain hadn't arbitrarily carved up the region after the fall of the Ottoman Empire then 30 years later create a massive refugee crisis in the region by plopping down a whole new country right in the middle

>DC is pretty sexist more often than not

Who is Wonder Woman?

...for now, at least. But the literal invasion, plus the back and forth between the islamic fundamentalists and their hated neighbors next door, plus the genocide of the leb christians hasn't helped tolerance any.

>genocide of the leb christians
"they all left" isn't genocide

As were those races, Clark

How are either of those posts trolling?

I personally haven't been complaining about Marvel using legacy characters.

Both companies go through phases with it. Hell, the Silver Age was essentially birthed through legacy characters (Green Lantern and The Flash).

Sup Forums and comic book readers are not monolithic in what they like and what they don't. During the fucking Infinity Gauntlet event neither Iron Man or Thor were the actual Thor or Iron Man; but you don't hear about people complaining about the fact that Infinity Gauntlet sucks cause it uses lame politically correct not-Iron Man.

Maybe if everyone in the nightclub was packing heat, things would have gone a different way.

>You can't view it like that.

Why, because you say so? Fuck off

Can't do it, can't be done.
... I've GOT to mention Wonder-Woman and her bondage/submission themed magic vulnerability.

As for any other sex-costumed subordinate females... are YOU sure you can't think of even one?

No because it's the truth. Itd be equivalent to people equipped with space travel invading America and trying to take our resources.

They are light years behind us.

that's honestly highly doubtful

Star Trek/GL is IDW

>I've GOT to mention Wonder-Woman and her bondage/submission themed magic vulnerability.

So shit that hasn't been around for decades

Stan stop killing people and come back to be the editor at Marvel!

>talks about heroines
>post a bunch of villains

You are so god damn casual it hurts. Do you even know who Mera is? What about Batwoman? Black Canary?

Youre a dumbass or just have no clue what you are talking about.