LOL

LOL

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_China
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes, that's right. America should become a balkanized patchwork of ethnicities that cannot and don't want to communicate with each other.

indian is no official language tho

>Cherokee is the only language anyone in America spoke
How ignorant.

No one said it was.

What are you going to object to next, the fact that they're all on a spaceship? The way their ears are drawn too big?

wooooooaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh

Mind blown, maaaaaaaaaan

You're full of shit if you complain about people speaking other languages, though

Is this really xkcd? This lacks any post-ironic STEM uppity quirkyness.

>show obvious racist caricature
>show obvious liberal caricature

Heh

This.

We've got free speech in this country. We can speak any language we want.

Speaking any language is fine, but also speaking the most common language in your social surroundings is pretty important if you don't want to isolate yourself from others and institutions.

While I don't understand people who actively get angry at other people who don't speak the same language, it's generally a great idea that when moving to a country to learn the native language as to better communicate with people.

If I decided to move to China permanently, and didn't bother to learn a lick of Chinese, I'm gonna have a bad time.

Literally no one said that nor implied it.

Nope. Not Sup Forums at all. Remember to sage and report

the strawman in the comic is advocating making english by law the official language of the united states which would then be mandatory to learn for everyone.

at least read the comic before commenting.

>the strawman in the comic is advocating making english by law the official language of the united states which would then be mandatory to learn for everyone.
That would actually be a fairly useful thing to help immigrants assimilate and communicate better with people though. If you banned speaking any other languages other then English, then yeah that'd be totally fucked, but trying to teach those who come here for opportunity how to speak the home countries language is a great idea my dude.

While we're at it we should also start teaching our kids and people to speak other languages as well like other countries do.

It's a strip from like 2002.
Imagine living a life as sad as OP.
Literally living for (You)s

This doesn't contradict what I said.
Making English an official language in no way prevents anyone from speaking other languages, and people should learn English if they move to an English-speaking country imo.
Nobody is bitching that people speak other languages, they're bitching that they're not able to speak the local lingua franca.

Yeah, but the thing is that there's also a lot of people who get actively angry at people speaking their native language with their friends and family, even though that person speaks the majority language perfectly well in other situations.

It's one thing to expect that if you move to a country, you learn to communicate in the language of that country, but a bit different thing to demand that you start using the majority language and only the majority language all the time even when conversing with family members who all have a shared non-majority mother tongue that they're most fluent in

>Indians are the TRUE Americans!
You lost the wars. Too bad.

>2002

Welp, the shitposters are literally scraping the bottom of the barrel now. Whatever will they do next?

Fuck off injuns

You lost to Andrew Jackson

Okay yeah no I agree, In that situation then the guy getting angry for no reason is retarded.

The comic just does a piss poor job at looking at that specific point.

>Nobody is bitching that people speak other languages
People do that though. People actively tell strangers in the street to "speak English" when they're talking with their friends, or in a more polite manner insist that it's "rude" to speak a language that's not English if there's an English speaker somewhere in the vicinity (though not part of the conversation) who might get upset they don't understand everything that's being said around them

>strawman

No, that's a thing millions of people believe in and advocate.

>While we're at it we should also start teaching our kids and people to speak other languages as well like other countries do.
The difficult part there is that there is that the Lingua Franca of the world is now English. You can say anything you want about that being good or bad, but the fact is that it makes it hard to determine what would be a good language to learn, and it also greatly limits your opportunities for immersive conversation which is vital for properly learning a language. And even if you want to say that Spanish would make the most sense as a second language in the US, there still aren't many opportunities for most people who haven't learned it naturally to speak it. I studied five years of Spanish through high school and college, and I can't remember any of it anymore because after a decade, I've never had a real reason to even try to speak it outside of a restaurant. And all managed to do in those cases was piss off the waiter by mangling some of the grammar.

>which would then be mandatory to learn for everyone.
Only as a practical measure.

The law would likely be "Government departments, just publish all your shit in English." instead of letting some busybody official print off things in Urdu just-in-case.

I suppose technically the law could also be "You have to publish all your shit in English (but can also publish any other languages, so long as an English copy is available)"

Wow you're so much smarter than this hypothetical person you're angry at.

You know who else lost the war? The English.

That's like getting upset because some people think that world leaders are Reptilians. Yeah, they exist, but are you really going to spend any time being concerned about them? They're too much of a minority to matter.

Sure. And it's equally a great idea for natives of a country to learn the language that millions more of their countrymen speak. But I don't see native English speakers breaking down the door for Spanish language classes.

Where do you live?

free speech as long as it doesn't side with the refugees : )

>too much of a minority to matter

Actually, they're pretty much Trump supporters, and English only was one of Trump's big rally cries. He's probably just bullshitting like everything else, but it's not some insignificant fringe thing.

>I suppose technically the law could also be "You have to publish all your shit in English (but can also publish any other languages, so long as an English copy is available)"
I'm pretty sure that is the law. The problem is that it ends up costing in a fortune in bureaucracy costs. You probably aren't going to keep an Urdu translator on staff, so you have to go out and find a guy to pay, and that one form is going to take a lot of extra time to process because of that which backs up the whole system.

Can Sup Forumsmblr just buy some preparation h already

Or insult the Beloved Leader.

Imagine if people followed that logic in the days. French, Irish, Chinese and German states all over the place.
It's stupid to believe a place as big as the US can just functions without a common language spoken by all. If you accept otherwise, you unironically de facto also accept immigrants to not follow your laws, because you admit they dont' have to read it.

Woe to the conquered.

I can't take this seriously I saw "this happened to my friend" and my mind immediately went to the "down with cis" copypasta

And I assume you have polls/studies to back up that assertion, aside from the lauded institute of My Fat Ass, correct?

>the strawman in the comic
That's not a strawman. He is a real person and he is not getting words he didn't said in his mouth, therefore it is not a strawman.

Where have you seen this happen, exactly?

>costing a fortune

It's actually a lot cheaper in the end to publish things in multiple languages, because that causes way less confusion and inefficiency and the need for on-call translators.

Communication is a good thing.

>this happened to my friend:

Did the entire bus clapped afterwards?

You need a language or reference no matter what, especially for laws, because no matter what you want to believe, you can't translate everything with 100% accuracy and you can't accept to change a word with one that only partially matter for shit like that. "yeah it's ok for people from that country to do that one crime, in their language it doesn't count"

>While we're at it we should also start teaching our kids and people to speak other languages as well like other countries do.
Wait, you already do that, don't you?

The U.S. has been functioning just fine all these years without an official language. The idea that not speaking English is the same as committing crimes is pretty fucking retared.

Wow. Two whole words of Cherokee.

>multiple languages
>less confusion
No. Literal translation don't work. and most legal laws won't work the same in other language. don't open the door to language related loop hole in the system, thanks.

>polls/studies

Are you retarded? Did you even watch the election or just sit in Sup Forums the whole time and plug into the hivemind.

Fucking eh, Trump already had removed all the Spanish translated parts of the White House website.

Somebody post the beer comic before this thread is purged.

>be immigrant from one of the shittier south american country, the one where people are literally cannibalizing eachother
>always put in the time to learn English and steadily become fluent through online interaction and real life. Even know some french
>liberals seriously think that immigrants are all a bunch of dumb brown people who can't put in the fucking time to learn a language for the country they are trying to assimilate into to escape their own shitty imploding countries, they really do think we are all a bunch of meek "s-si seenyor" type fuckers who only live in sanctuary cities working some fucking fields and that's the best we will ever get

IF YOU FUCKING IMMIGRATE INTO ANOTHER COUNTRY

YOU LEARN THE FUCKING CULTURE AND LANGUAGE

IF I WENT TO LIVE IN CHINA IT IS EXPECTED THAT I WOULD LEARN CHINESE

IF I WENT TO SAUDI ARABIA IT IS EXPECTED THAT I WOULD LEARN ARABIC

WHY IS THIS SUCH A HARD CONCEPT FOR PEOPLE TO GRASP

Let the world be sans lingua franca. People will suffer of course, but a phantom pain. They will need a new tongue, a language of nukes. No words will be needed. All men will be forced to recognize his neighbor. They will link lost hands, and the world will become one.

>obviuse bait thread about politics
>discussion is primary political with differing opinions but shitposting and buzzwords is minimal

It's happened to me several times, in the UK and US

Why?

>Cherokee
>great warrior clan wiped out by germs

LMMFAO

>Fucking eh, Trump already had removed all the Spanish translated parts of the White House website.
I don't see how that in any way proves your point. The Whitehouse website is an official government site, and that's what we're talking about - official government communications should be in English. Nobody gives a shit what you speak at home.

Fine, I meant that's not what the strawman is bitching about.

>most legal laws won't work the same in other languages

This is an immensely stupid idea. I don't know how you're pulling it out of your ass. Or what sort of magical world you think different languages work in.

"Don't kill people." Translates perfectly well to all languages.

So does "Don't park here between 9 and 5."

I mean, holy shit you're dumb.

It's not comics or cartoons though

Yeah. Just like anime is part of Sup Forums's board culture

Only in some school districts, or as part of a specific high school diploma. I don't think there's any non-English language classes for elementary students in public schools.

Strangers stop you on the street and tell you to speak English?

??
I'm not angry at anyone, just pointing out that there are also some people who honestly demand that people shouldn't speak foreign languages if English-speaking people are present.

Like I said, I do absolutely agree that people should be expected to learn the language of the country they want to live and work in, though.

Most specs or legal standards specify which language is to be used if theres ambiguity between translations.

"Official government communications should be English."

Why?

That's like saying the official government skin color should be white.

Or the official government religion should be Christianity.

Now there's millions of people who actually believe that, but it still doesn't make any sense.

>A post by Hideo Kojima.
>Written by Hideo Kojima.
>Featuring Captcha Solving by Hideo Kojima.

Okay, you know how finicky people get about the wording of certain amendments?

Now imagine that multiplied into five other languages

Those are the laws he's talking about and most laws are written in an intentionally specific manner that is hard to translate.

>Millions of people died agonizing deaths

Oh yeah. My fucking sides

>Pachinko Machine brought to you by Konami

Yup. The Black Death was so funny I nearly spat my coffee out

>Your ancestors didnt bring cattle when they crossed the landbridge, thus ensure the population will always be exposed to cowpox as a rudimentary inoculation from small pox

top kek m8

I've been told at work, in public transport and in parks by strangers that it's "impolite" to speak with my friend in our mother tongue and that we should learn English, and also told by people at private social events, when there are many smaller discussions going, that it's very rude to talk in my mother tongue with a friend because the English-speaking people hanging around in our vicinity who we don't know or who aren't a part of the conversation might get nervous or such, yes.

Places bigger than the US function with several languages. Homogeneous national languages are still a relatively recent phenomenon historically speaking.

The London fires were hilarious. People actually were dumb enough to freeze to death xddd

I doubt that's the idea.

>Being offended at jokes involving tragedies
Where do you think we are?

>Muh noble native American stereotypes

Does no one look up the Apache anymore? Even other natives thought those guys were fucking mental.

I don't even have to say anything about the "let's have blood orgies for our God we call the fucking great flayed one" Aztecs.

>fires burnt houses down
>only four people actually died in the fire
>thousands of homeless died in the winter

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Then tell those people to fuck off. Nobody should interrupt a random conversation. That's just fucking rude in any language.

>learn chinese
Which one?
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_China

There's a difference between making an edgy ironic joke (like your pic related) and actually laughing at people dying (like this Sup Forumstard )

The one that's associated with the region you're moving to?

Would you not even look into the culture to the place you, for the moment at least, have prospects to live for the rest of your mortal life in?

That's a false equivalency. Language has a function.

>function with several languages.
wrong. They work with an official language everybody knows in addition of their local shithole's.

Canadian here, never realized the USA didn't have an "official" language. That's fucking retarded lmao

there is no comparison between expecting immigrants to a country assimilate to the host country, and there being *no country*.

American indians were savages made up of hundreds of, mostly warring, tribes. There was nothing for old worlders to assimilate to because american indians hadn't did a thing in the 15,000 years they had been in the country. On top of that, the introduction of old world diseases pretty much wiped them out, we got to the country and found native american villages completely empty.

Just more white guilt.

How many native american tribes were wiped out by other native americans over the centuries? We don't talk about that because we don't know, the dead tell no tales. Did we treat the native americans particularly nice? Nope. But that they are still around at all points to at least a glimmer of victor's compassion, it would have been trivially easy to wipe them out completely and not worry of them anymore.

T. Quebec

Better than having 2.

I never knew that canadians still pledge loyalty to the queen of england until recently.

Why shouldn't immigrants learn English when they come here? You'd have to be actually retarded not to.

Counterpoint: Old people getting mad at people who only speak Spanish is hilarious, and I get more Progressive Points if I riff on that. So shut up.

Wrong.

>That's like saying

No, not at all

Underrated post.

To elaborate: some countries have more than 1 official language.

yes

>being proud of not being fluent in at least two languages

Stay retarded

>This happened to my friend

Uh huh